A Music Discussion Thread

Big Roguey

I kind of already started that when some crappy screamo band did a tour called Too Fast For Love and they even used Motley Crue's font for it. It came to Kent State University(where I go) and they didn't even acknowledge the Crue at all. I threw a fit. I had my door open and I was blaring "Too Fast for Love" and a girl who just came from the concert goes "heyyy, they stole that from 3oh!3" and I got pissed. I probably overreacted, but come on, why not name your tour something original instead of blatantly ripping it off of another band?

The band Boys Like Girls did something like that too that pissed me off. They released a shirt where they dressed like Motley Crue on the cover of Girls, Girls, Girls and the shirt says Boys Like Girls, Girls, Girls. Some say its a tribute, I say its a slap in the face.

*shakes fist*

You're too young to be listening to Motley Crue anyway :p

Although I do hate it when someone blatantly copies something and there's a whole generation who don't pick up on the unoriginality.

Oh and moonlit tears, guess that makes it 5 years. Man it's rough being 30. I am just the wrong mix of grumpy old man and immature penis-joke fanatic to ever really fit in anywhere.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/VenomousPrime/halloweenhootenanny.jpg

It's been confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't been this excited for a tour since KISS and Poison back in 2004(which ended up being a let down since CC Deville was drunk off his ass and Bret's voice was shot)

And Hamster, you're never too young for Motley Crue!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So I just discovered Hank III. Holy crap, amazing. The only country I really like is the occasional Johnny Cash and I love Bourbon Crow(look them up now), but Hank III is just fantastic.

Punk rock attitude in country? Someone give me a hell yeah!

Also just discovered The Gracious Few. They have members of Live and Candlebox and they're definitely killer. I'm already a huge fan.

The Gracious Few

Say that when you're 30. :p

I'm 37 and I say that daily. I was always taught, "If you work hard, you earn the right to play hard" so that's what I do. It's probably why I'll never marry. That's not something I'm willing to compromise on.

Anyway, I've been taking bass guitar lessons and over the last couple months, I've looked at music in a totally different way. It's amazed me how I could learn one bass line and have it be usable in like 40 songs (with minor changes in tempo and flourishes). An example was the first one that I learned that's generally called a 'Country Shuffle' that Clapton used in both Lay Down Sally and Swing Low Sweet Chariot with only a slight variation. So I'm listening in a totally different way (instead of picking out specific instruments, I'm picking out specific notes and phrases and structures). I'm also going back to older recordings. And if another ignorant mouthbreather hears Under Pressure and says, "That's Vanilla Ice!", I'm renouncing my citizenship. :mad:

I'm 37 and I say that daily. I was always taught, "If you work hard, you earn the right to play hard" so that's what I do. It's probably why I'll never marry. That's not something I'm willing to compromise on.

Anyway, I've been taking bass guitar lessons and over the last couple months, I've looked at music in a totally different way. It's amazed me how I could learn one bass line and have it be usable in like 40 songs (with minor changes in tempo and flourishes). An example was the first one that I learned that's generally called a 'Country Shuffle' that Clapton used in both Lay Down Sally and Swing Low Sweet Chariot with only a slight variation. So I'm listening in a totally different way (instead of picking out specific instruments, I'm picking out specific notes and phrases and structures). I'm also going back to older recordings. And if another ignorant mouthbreather hears Under Pressure and says, "That's Vanilla Ice!", I'm renouncing my citizenship. :mad:

Haha! Old man. I doubt I will ever marry as well.

So you can pick out the differences in the two songs? They do have slight changes from what I have been told. My music reading days ended near mid high school when i gave up playing the flute. They are so much alike someone just *listening* to them may say they are the same. They don't hear it. (yeah I just went to white men can't jump) :p

A song I like is Bittersweet symphony now I also like Ridin solo and that beginning instrumental sounds like The Verves song.

Bass can be repetitive, for sure... Your going to find alot of standardized bass in alot of music. This goes with songs using the same chords, but perhaps playing them differently as your explained..> different rhythm, or different tempo, etc. I find alot of it is kind of matter of fact almost when going from one chord to the next (when using the bass, going from the low note, to the next low note). You have certain notes that are right there, that you can hit and feels almost natural. Everyone feels that, so quite a few people transition the same way... unless they play the guitar upside down.

the bass is an awesome instrument, i used to play bass in a number of bands and enjoyed it a lot, then i went on to guitar and one bad gig later i never touched it again and have never played live since, it was an appalling gig

my music taste varies, i really am not a one type of music kind of guy, my taste ranges from Fiona Apple to Dillinger Escape Plan to grindcore like Hangover Overdose

Jesu is probably the best music i have heard in a long time and seem to always end up listening to it

Lesson #1 - all modern music is the same.

- mebbe not safe for work due to language.

Haha! Old man. I doubt I will ever marry as well.

So you can pick out the differences in the two songs? They do have slight changes from what I have been told. My music reading days ended near mid high school when i gave up playing the flute. They are so much alike someone just *listening* to them may say they are the same. They don't hear it. (yeah I just went to white men can't jump) :p

A song I like is Bittersweet symphony now I also like Ridin solo and that beginning instrumental sounds like The Verves song.

Don't know if you have heard this mix but it is quality all the way.

Jay-Z and the Verve - Bittersweet Dirt of Ya Shoulder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGEWETWCI1U&feature=related

Sad part is I have all but 3or r of those songs on my iPod. :o:eek:

O wow. LoNdOn I had not heard that.

Absolutely love it.

Norwegian Recycling has put out some very tasty mash ups:

How Six Songs Collide:

When 8 Become 1:

Sorry For I Mashed You:

Those are just three of what this guy has done. Very talented indeed.

• 2 months later...

My upstairs neighbor just came down stairs and knocked on my door. Apparently my music is too loud. They also said I'm the most confusing person ever.

My playlist that they're complaining about?

Calabrese

The Misfits

Blitzkid

WASP

Machine Head

Tupac

Coolio

Slipknot

Poison

Michael Jackson

Motley Crue

Peppermint Creeps

Evidently its a crime to have diverse tastes

My upstairs neighbor just came down stairs and knocked on my door. Apparently my music is too loud. They also said I'm the most confusing person ever.

My playlist that they're complaining about?

Calabrese

The Misfits

Blitzkid

WASP

Machine Head

Tupac

Coolio

Slipknot

Poison

Michael Jackson

Motley Crue

Peppermint Creeps