The Video Game Thread

Genadi

with a 23% off voucher code found online.

Those vouchers only seem to work for 'older' games with me. :(

Funny btw how Steam made a 'funny' reaction to counteract those stupid "did this in the game - would do it again". It's not funny anymore and people liking it actually make it hard to find actual reviews.

Basically I believe he means that he's got his old Rock Band stuff on his Microsoft account, but is getting RB 4 for PS4, and while they allow you to bring your stuff from 3 to 4 There is no cross platform forward comparability.

Oh. Got it, thanks.

Excited for Rock Band 4, but I really wish I bought a PS3 back in the day rather than a 360. I'm going to lose so much DLC, as I have no desire to buy an XBOne.

That said though, if you play with friends, none of them would have gained their own progress or achievements/trophies on PS3 as only one person can be logged in at once. 360 was by far the superior RB platform.

That said though, if you play with friends, none of them would have gained their own progress or achievements/trophies on PS3 as only one person can be logged in at once. 360 was by far the superior platform.

What he ^ said. ;) (I didn't edit the quote, honest...)

But I think Clarity was referring solely to backwards compatibility though, which the XB1 doesn't have.

---------------------------

After having splashed the cash on a new PC (8 cores @ 4ghz, 32gb RAM, GTX 980 etc.), is there any general consensus of what the most spec intensive game is to put it through its paces? (to buy next month when i'm not broke! :p)

Although obviously i'm not going to buy a game which i'm not interested in just to give it a whirl, so any and all genre recommendations are welcome. I'm usually a bit behind the curve on buying new releases (although Darkest Dungeon gripped me) because you can buy multiple games at a cheaper price later down the line, so I have no idea what is the "Latest and greatest".

But I think Clarity was referring solely to backwards compatibility though, which the XB1 doesn't have.

After having splashed the cash on a new PC (8 cores @ 4ghz, 32gb RAM, GTX 980 etc.), is there any general consensus of what the most spec intensive game is to put it through its paces? (to buy next month when i'm not broke! :p)

Although obviously i'm not going to buy a game which i'm not interested in just to give it a whirl, so any and all genre recommendations are welcome. I'm usually a bit behind the curve on buying new releases (although Darkest Dungeon gripped me) because you can buy multiple games at a cheaper price later down the line, so I have no idea what is the "Latest and greatest".

Apparently Crysis 3, but I'd not know as I stick to games more like Darkest Dungeon. :)

I also hold that edited statement to be true, so you're all good there :p

Backwards compatibility for Rock Band DLC is available on both platforms, but because licensing is handled by first-party (Sony & MS), you can't take it cross-platform. You can go 360 to X1 or PS3 to PS4, but not 360 to PS4 or PS3 to X1.

Has anyone looked into SkyForge? I've been looking for a new MMO to play, so I'm thinking up picking up a founders pack next pay-check to get into the beta with free goodies.

Also, I'm a huge SMITE fan, so if anyone else plays that add me "ExTwenty3"!

The game that hits my system the hardest currently is Dragon Age: Inquisition. Although I don't own many games that the cool kids have.

Cities:Skylines will probably hammer the CPU and GPU when you get to the higher population count though (released tomorrow, squeeeeee!).

If you're looking for a slightly older game and stealth is your cup of tea, try Hitman: Absolution. The game itself isn't overly demanding for systems built recently, but the in-game benchmarking program is notorious for being brutal as hell.

The most demanding game at the times are :

-Batlefield 4

-The Evil Within

-Crysis 3

-Metro Last Light

-Arma III

-The witcher 2

-Call of Duty : Ghosts

EDIT : Misread the message. I thought you were asking the most demanding game to test your PC :p

Basically I believe he means that he's got his old Rock Band stuff on his Microsoft account, but is getting RB 4 for PS4, and while they allow you to bring your stuff from 3 to 4 There is no cross platform forward comparability.

Yeah, this is basically what I was getting at. I had a lot of Rock Band DLC for the 360, I'm not sure exactly how much I had (because I can't find the cord for my controller charger to check :p), but it was a couple hundred songs.

I'm still going to be buying it, but I'm going to miss having so much DLC, and I'll have to rebuy some of it.

Apparently Crysis 3, but I'd not know as I stick to games more like Darkest Dungeon. :)

Didn't even know Crysis 3 existed! If it's not on GDS, Steam or GOG, I probably haven't heard of it.

Origin though... bleh. I'd prefer not to have another game client running if possible. Plus having checked my playtime for Crysis 1 + 2 there's a combined time of 116 minutes, two of which were for Crysis 2. :p

The game that hits my system the hardest currently is Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Will have a look. I've heard good things about the Dragon Age games, but have yet to play one.

Cities:Skylines will probably hammer the CPU and GPU when you get to the higher population count though (released tomorrow, squeeeeee!).

Not really something i'm interested in. The original SimCity bored me to tears back in the day and I haven't looked at any iteration or game inspired by it since.

If you're looking for a slightly older game and stealth is your cup of tea, try Hitman: Absolution. The game itself isn't overly demanding for systems built recently, but the in-game benchmarking program is notorious for being brutal as hell.

Oddly enough I own Hitman: Absolution but have yet to find the time/motivation to play it. I'll definitely give the benchmark a whirl when my PC arrives though. I'm still waiting... patiently... but my patience is wearing thin when they told me it was ready to ship Thursday and then rang me today to say the RAM wasn't in stock. Grrrr... :rolleyes:

After watching Gophers stream on Twitch, I picked up Darkest Dungeon this morning

Are you liking Darkest Dungeon? I love it, and i'm resisting giving you any tips because that's part of the fun when your party gets whupped! :D

The most demanding game at the times are :

-Batlefield 4

-The Evil Within

-Crysis 3

-Metro Last Light

-Arma III

-The witcher 2

-Call of Duty : Ghosts

EDIT : Misread the message. I thought you were asking the most demanding game to test your PC :p

Nope, you read correctly. I wanted a recommendation that could potentially bring my PC to its knees although in theory there shouldn't be much, if any.

So Cities:Skylines was pretty fun. If I didn't have this 'block' where I'd rather watch videos than play games I'd have played it all night. :D

You're not the only one it happens to. Buy a game, watch some videos of it and then essentially think you've played it so move onto something else instead. :p

Are you liking Darkest Dungeon? I love it, and i'm resisting giving you any tips because that's part of the fun when your party gets whupped! :D

I'm liking it. It's a good game to play while the ankle biter is awake as I can leave it as long as I like and not worry.

I do feel like I keep getting screwed by the RNGesus though. 100% battle completion when I start in the middle of a dungeon with 5 rooms each side or constant negative traits but that's the game

I've heard Watchdogs is demanding on ultra as its programming isn't all that.

Oh yeah, if you just wanna tax your computer, and not necessarily get the best looking game, anything from Ubisoft is generally poorly optimised for PC!

I'm not sure with Watchdogs, I have it on PC and both my brothers have it, one on a PS4 and the other on an Xbox One, and on my PC it looks very obviously better in comparison to both.

But, yeah, it's taxing. I have an i7 with 32GB RAM and a lot of air circulation / decent fans, and it still makes my tower so hot that I could probably cook my dinner on it. It's the only game I own that does this.

I'm liking it. It's a good game to play while the ankle biter is awake as I can leave it as long as I like and not worry.

I do feel like I keep getting screwed by the RNGesus though. 100% battle completion when I start in the middle of a dungeon with 5 rooms each side or constant negative traits but that's the game

That's my biggest issue. Get the either room completion or battle completion and multiple dead ends, and off shoots to go and you're right in the middle so backtracking is a b&tch.

Also, those traits can suck when you have a guy who constantly gets into the traps and dies because you run out of food, or he just acts dumb....

Or the fun part for me is when a guy goes insane and refuses healing for a few turns in a row, and dies....

I love this game so much.

I'm not sure with Watchdogs, I have it on PC and both my brothers have it, one on a PS4 and the other on an Xbox One, and on my PC it looks very obviously better in comparison to both.

But, yeah, it's taxing. I have an i7 with 32GB RAM and a lot of air circulation / decent fans, and it still makes my tower so hot that I could probably cook my dinner on it. It's the only game I own that does this.

Oh for sure it looks better on PC than console, but even at maximum settings the world still feels bland to me, and it makes some sad shortcuts like "reflections" that don't change based on your perspective. For the heat and noise it causes, I'd expect a bit more.

I'm so weak. I brought Cities: Skylines :o

Welcome to the long line of people who became Paradox' bitch and just keep throwing money at the pc until it takes it. :p But the game is just great, even though there's some quirks that I dislike, one being the lack of loans available from the get-go, causing me to get bankrupt during the tutorial (if you can call it that). You basically have to start small and just let the game run for a couple of (in-game) months until you garner enough money to build a second district. And repeat. So I would've hoped for a sandbox mode were money wasn't an issue.

I also got the PC just for Skyrim. Have the RealVision ENB and it is quite fun to just walk around and admire the view, but my 'lower' rig actually got interiors who were just as nice because all of the performance tweaks. Too bad the exteriors were ugly and gave me some lag. And loading... lots of loading.