Modern Warriors (RELEASE)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MMA is still very much a growing sport so outside of the people who watch & follow the sport, it's not really that well known when you compare it to other major sports so if your going to have Chuck Liddell & Randy Couture as high level international then a guy who was voted the 3rd greatest player in college football history & a former Heisman Trophy winner in one of America's most popular sports should, at the very least, be on par with Chuck & Randy in the popularity stakes!

Obviously its the modmakers decision at the end of the day but i personally think that someone who was at the very top of there sport, which is pretty big in America should be alot more popular than low level national!

But hardly International, given that Heisman means diddly to most people outside the US.

Based on what?

Strikeforce's 'Championship Series' events on showtime averaged 382,000 viewers last year. There is no peak viewing figure available for Walker's fight, but if we look at the show's average of 517,000 (which is generous, given that the shows historically peak for the main event), then all it shows is that Walker added just over 100,000 viewers to a show on a pre-subscribed network. On top of that, you have 700,000 people tuning in for Fedor vs Werdum - so there are arguably more people who will watch MMA and who have Showtime than bothered to tune in for Walker. If you then look at the PPV numbers Fedor has done over the years (awful numbers) then it says little for someone like Walker's ability to draw.

It's not an exact science I know...but if WMMA's way of doing things largely bases the number of PPV buys/attendance on your main event's popularity etc then Walker, who we've established is virtually unknown outside of the US and has no demonstratable history of producing Chuck Liddell-like gates/PPV numbers, shouldn't start with Chuck Liddell-like popularity.

Low level national seems just right.

Herschel Walker was never going to appeal to MMA fans tho, you just have to look at various MMA sites to see how much people bash Strikeforce for putting him on there cards, he's a crossover star aimed at drawing fans from American Football & i'm sure there's a large number of people who are familiar with Herschel Walker that don't have Showtime so i don't really think you can tell how much of a draw he is based on ratings from a subscription-based channel. If Herschel Walker fought on a major network such as CBS then i believe the numbers would be pretty big but obviously until it happens then that can't be proved.

However i now understand as to why it would be wrong for Herschel Walker to be of international status in WMMA but i still do not believe that he's only just borderline national in name value!

Herschel Walker was never going to appeal to MMA fans tho, you just have to look at various MMA sites to see how much people bash Strikeforce for putting him on there cards, he's a crossover star aimed at drawing fans from American Football & i'm sure there's a large number of people who are familiar with Herschel Walker that don't have Showtime so i don't really think you can tell how much of a draw he is based on ratings from a subscription-based channel.

Completely agree as to why he was brought in. But I suppose the counterpoint to that would be that there was no discernible increase in Showtime subscribers before Walker's fight unlike there was for Fedor/Werdum and Carano/Cyborg. So Walker didn't really 'draw' any of these American Football fans who are families with him but didn't have Showtime as Strikeforce had hoped.

However i now understand as to why it would be wrong for Herschel Walker to be of international status in WMMA but i still do not believe that he's only just borderline national in name value!

The way I try and look at it is as popularity within people who are interested in/would buy/watch an MMA event, rather than the public in general. If someone is 100% high level international, that'd be like saying every single person on the planet knows who there are and would pay to see them fight, which is absurd. Based on that (i.e. people who would watch/buy an MMA event) maybe Walker's popularity should be a little higher...however like Tag said, with the way the game mechanics work, it would skew things.

Maybe a 'mainstream popularity' trait could be added to a future version of the game to cover anomalies like Walker, Gina Carano etc who are popular, but not draws in the MMA world...

• 1 year later...

Archived