DCUO: Who's playin'?

Remianen

To avoid further derailing of the Champions Online free to play thread, I figured I'd create one specifically for this game. I'm havin' a freakin' blast playin' it!

My main right now is a Gadgets/Martial Arts/Super Speed villainess named Wren:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Kension/DCUO/Wren.jpg

She's kind of an amalgam of Catwoman (the initial 'inspired by' before I tinkered with her movement power), The Rival (the first Reverse-Flash), and Forge with a little bit of the Birds of Prey/pre-Batgirl Cassandra Cain tossed in. Her mentor is The Joker, because he's just awesome and his personality is basically the opposite of hers (which often makes for good mentor/protegé pairings, story wise).

What I'm enjoying in particular, besides the pace of combat, is how well movement powers are done. Wow. There are special powers/moves you can only perform if your movement power is active, and acrobatics in particular is ridiculously fun (grapple/zip line).

So who's playing? :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've thought about it but I've got some ol friends trying to rope me back into WoW atm. Thinking I'm going to give either Cata or this a try next month when I'm done with the '87 mod. Keep me updated Remi, I've been hearing good things like you described the game sounds fun.

I've got it for PS3... work has been so crazy though I haven't had time to play much. Add in a 3-year old daughter and I have to reserve most of my gameplay for either early-early-morning or late night when I'm already exhausted.

My main is a villian Garabaldi who I originally modeled after Supreme, except now that I've been getting some gear I've been enhancing the appearance by letting it show on the character. He's lvl 6, Circe is my mentor/flight/sorcery. Just beat Dr. Fate. :)

Still learning it, really. Going to roll a hero soon just to go through that opening sequence and see the other side.

I do like it... I could see myself staying with this longer than CO (at least until I get a new desktop).

Ive got it for PC but have yet to player but my brother has been clocking some hours on it though.

Am I the only one that thinks it weird that a dude would play as a female character? not trying to offend anyone but I just find that well ... weird lol

I'm planning to get in it at some point. After messing around in the PC beta, I found the game to be extremely fun but thought I would give them a couple of months to iron out some bugs. That and I usually have a crazy work schedule from mid-January to early April.

Ive got it for PC but have yet to player but my brother has been clocking some hours on it though.

Am I the only one that thinks it weird that a dude would play as a female character? not trying to offend anyone but I just find that well ... weird lol

I often play as female characters as I find that there are usually many more options for customization and when I play online games I like my character to look as distinct as possible.

(PS3)

My character is Florogal (Hero) she is inspired by Poison Ivy and has Dual Sticks weapons, Nature Power and Superspeed

My other Character is Andropaw (Villan) inspidered by Hellboy and Hulk and has Staff weapon, Fire and Acrobatic powers.

My Final Character is Jet Mind (Hero) inspired by Superman and Lex Luthor has Duel Pistols, Mental and Flying powers

I was also thinking about joining in on my first MMO since I'm currently reading some DC comics. But I'm still unsure. I won't have a lot of time from march forward and still have lots of games that need playing, like Divinity 2 and the updates for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 I recently purchased.

Eh it's Remi, he also has a weird obsession with women's wrestling. I'm just waiting for the day when he starts a thread on gender reassignment surgery. :p

I plan on getting this soon for PS3. What system you play it on or plan on playing it on?

I'm on PC.

I often play as female characters as I find that there are usually many more options for customization and when I play online games I like my character to look as distinct as possible.

Yeah, this. MMO developers spend a far larger portion of their art budget on getting the female character models right than anything else. The female models, as a result, become the model upon which the game is judged. Besides, I absolutely hate the two main forms male character models take in MMOs. Either they're overmuscled Scott Steiner lookalikes or they're effeminate looking (the Asian style). There's often no in between except in the really old games (EQ, DAoC, AO, etc).

Plus, on a personal level, I have to play female characters because when I play guys, I identify with them too much. As an old school powergamer (from EQ's early days on), if I see a character as me, I have to powergame it to death. No slackin' allowed, no alts, and no breaks. It's a mental thing with me. Male character = me = play too much, burn out too fast, and get downright ornery when others lack the same "commitment" that I have. Female character = not me = can walk away at any time with no pressure to level/achieve = much nicer to look at for several hours at a stretch. Plus, I have problems with the typical female depictions on popular fiction of all kinds (the damsel-in-distress/'always needing a male character to save them' crap with little variation) so having a female toon at the top of leaderboards (best gear, fast to cap, go-to person/perfect RA/raid leader/guild leader) makes me feel better about the accomplishment than when/if I do it as a male toon. It's also awesome in those games really big on customization to stand next to the 'heroin chic' toons with a female toon that looks like she stepped right out of a rap video. Aint nuthin' wrong with a badonkadonk. :) Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kardashian (and to a lesser extent, Jaime Koeppe, Jenna Shea, Coco Austin, Nina Hartley, and Ashley Logan) didn't forge "careers" following the Kate Moss model/body type.

Eh it's Remi, he also has a weird obsession with women's wrestling. I'm just waiting for the day when he starts a thread on gender reassignment surgery. :p

Nah, never happen. I loves the wimmen too much and couldn't bear to give up my thang. :p Sure he gets me into trouble sometimes, but it's all good.

All of my brood so far are on New Frontier server btw.

Plus, on a personal level, I have to play female characters because when I play guys, I identify with them too much. As an old school powergamer (from EQ's early days on), if I see a character as me, I have to powergame it to death. No slackin' allowed, no alts, and no breaks. It's a mental thing with me. Male character = me = play too much, burn out too fast, and get downright ornery when others lack the same "commitment" that I have. Female character = not me = can walk away at any time with no pressure to level/achieve = much nicer to look at for several hours at a stretch. Plus, I have problems with the typical female depictions on popular fiction of all kinds (the damsel-in-distress/'always needing a male character to save them' crap with little variation) so having a female toon at the top of leaderboards (best gear, fast to cap, go-to person/perfect RA/raid leader/guild leader) makes me feel better about the accomplishment than when/if I do it as a male toon.

That's really interesting... I tend in a lot of games to put "me" in and then get totally into long stretches and then burn out just as you describe. Maybe I need to roll a female character more often. I do have a female WoW character sitting around which I simply had to roll after looking at a dwarf's backside for 80 levels!

And just about to get in a little DCUO rights about now. I'll find out what servers/realms/whatever I'm on.

My WoW character is basically me, which works because I played WoW in a highly social guild, and the separation of character and player was razor thin. However, in other games, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, I often roll female just to play a character instead of just being myself. I get to be myself all day, so in games I like to be Jane Shepard; opportunistic career soldier who sucks up to her bosses. Or a misogynistic cannibalistic Vault Dweller. I guess I like to roleplay.

Not sure I can get into another MMO after WoW, but the superhero thing has always floated my boat. I'd probably roll female.

That's really interesting... I tend in a lot of games to put "me" in and then get totally into long stretches and then burn out just as you describe. Maybe I need to roll a female character more often.

Yeah, after many months of coming home from work at 6pm, sitting down to play and when I looked up, the sun was shining into the skylight, I had to do something different. I was also becoming something of a curmudgeon when I didn't understand why folks would log in at 7 and log out at 9 (when raids ended at 11) and then complain about not being able to advance their characters because we raided too much. I was like, "WTH? I get plenty of XP outside of raids and my raid attendance is perfect. What's wrong with YOU?". I'd log in FROM WORK just to get more stuff done. I don't do any of that with my female characters. In fact, I had to take it to an extreme and not roll any male characters AT ALL because, as expected, it's easier for me as a guy to pick up and play a male character if I have one available. Then I fall into the same trap.

And Self, I roleplay my girls. They're all female versions of me with specific parts of my personality setting them apart. Some might have the more acerbic aspect of my wit, some will have my unfiltered sarcastic nature, Wren is me when I'm drunk (really quiet but noticing and making note of everything I perceive). A few of them are based, in part, on the various women in my life with the aspects of their personalities I admire most.

Oh and I just saw/did something AWESOME! If you have a villain in DCUO, look on the rooftop of the nightclub. Sometimes, you'll see someone up there that you can interact with. I won't spoil it but do it. It's a HOOT! :)

New trailer has been released I think its for an upcoming expansion to the game its called In Lex we trust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efa2xzhj0HE

It seems to be abit dark you can see it here also....

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1147064p1.html

This is a cool video.

I believe the next expansion if im not mistaken will deal with the lantern corpse

At least thats what i thought Wes said.

I to like Remi use female toons time to time for a change.In fact my very 1st toon was a female and i remember her to well.

She was a tall well built scrapper and i rem standing by the big statue in Paragon City(COH) and this toon who looked i swear just like Lobo cigar and all comes up to me and says woa momma you my kind of lady.

Almost made me never want to roll a toon again.Right now im not playing D/C onlinre my main pc hard drive just fried and my laptop cant handle the specs fr the game:(

Do you ever have dudes that think your a chick hitting on you over the internet? lol

I knew guys played chicks in games and stuff but I would still think that a female is played by a female if that makes sense, like I would never think weather or not it was a dude or not

Do you ever have dudes that think your a chick hitting on you over the internet? lol

I knew guys played chicks in games and stuff but I would still think that a female is played by a female if that makes sense, like I would never think weather or not it was a dude or not

Yes lolo. read my above post.

Sure. But my friends (ingame and out) know the deal so some chucklehead trying to make a connection in a video game, doesn't bother me at all. I especially get it in CoH/CoV because my girls are all built the same (master of the sliders, I am) and they're....well, BUILT.

Here's my main brute in CoV, along with the pic the rendering was based on. This is her main costume. Some of my characters in Champions. My Vice Admiral in STO, my Science officer, my Tactical officer and her away team. Noticing a trend? So yeah, given the fact that most female toons in these games fit the heroin chic type of look (the usual default body type), mine tend to stand out and attract attention. Actually I've found (from painful personal experience) that the most overtly/conventionally attractive female toons (skinny, medium to large boobs, blonde hair, etc) are often (but not always) played by....well, women who aren't (at least not physically). In EQ1, you could almost be guaranteed that the blond female High Elf cleric was being played by an...um, unconventionally attractive woman, often of noticeable girth. I quit going to Fan Faire (SOE's convention) after the first one in Vegas because it was just sad. Ever see a 260 lb woman try to shove herself into a Firiona Vie costume?

And yeah jesterx, that was the big thing in the early days of EQ. Roll a female wood elf toon and have them run around naked (in the old models, naked wood elves wore only a green one piece swimsuit) and people would give them free stuff. Never did it (I was a male half elf druid at the time) but I had many friends/guildmates who did. I was too busy being port bitch for a couple who turned out to be ebayers.

I have this rule that i dont play an MMO during its first 6 months as normally they are still tweeking and patching it. Logging in sometimes and seeing that i have to redo all my skills annoyed the hell out of me... although if Remmy is loaded i may have to get him to sponsor me */joke*

Silly question.. Can PC and PS3 users play together??

Archived