Rock/Bruckheimer Wrestling Drama

alphadraighon

Just came across this during my daily afternoon drag:

The one-hour project, with Johnson executive producing, is set in the 1980s.

NBC has bought a wrestling drama from Jerry Bruckheimer.

Dwayne Johnson, the wrestler-turned-actor formerly known by his ring name "The Rock," is also attached as an executive producer on the fictional drama project, which has a put pilot commitment at the network. It is set in the world of wrestling in the 1980s.

The one-hour project, which hails from Jerry Bruckheimer Television in association with Warner Bros. Television, counts Brent Fletcher (Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena) and Seamus Kevin Fahey (The Forgotten, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena) as co-executive producers and writers, with KristieAnne Reed (Chase, Dark Blue) on board as a co-EP.

Bruckheimer TV's Jonathan Littman will join Bruckheimer and Johnson as an executive producer.

Curious what everyone's thought are on this concept/project.

Source

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jerry-bruckheimer-dwayne-johnson-sell-226494

I'm upset that it's NBC that picked it up. That network, post-Tartikoff, is notorious for killing series before even allowing them to "find an audience". How long did Fox let Firefly go on (as expensive as that show was to produce) before they pulled the plug? NBC seems to expect each show to be a blockbuster hit on par with House or Bones or CSI....even when they put it in 'dead' time slots (Friday nights, for example).

No matter how good the show is, if it doesn't do gangbusters rating from the pilot showing on, they'll kill it within 6 episodes.

I liked the cape.

Though to be honest it just never took off with the public. From what i have read the whole 9or 10 episodes barely hit 4 million and 1st episode drew a rating of 1.1.

You can bet that if this wrestling series that takes place in the 80's draws anything under a 5.0 for its 1st show its days will be numbered.

I like that there are some Spartacus guys involved. Watching that show I had many moments of "this is great wrestling" in the way they built conflicts, had satisfying resolutions, and ultimately made every fight important. I assume this is going to be a 'backstage' type show, but those same elements could work great here too.

Bit niche, but maybe with Rock's involvement it'll do well. Personally, I'm psyched.

I'm upset that it's NBC that picked it up. That network, post-Tartikoff, is notorious for killing series before even allowing them to "find an audience". How long did Fox let Firefly go on (as expensive as that show was to produce) before they pulled the plug? NBC seems to expect each show to be a blockbuster hit on par with House or Bones or CSI....even when they put it in 'dead' time slots (Friday nights, for example).

No matter how good the show is, if it doesn't do gangbusters rating from the pilot showing on, they'll kill it within 6 episodes.

Actually, I think things haven't been so bad at NBC and now that they just got rid of Jeff Zucker, and are now being run by Robert Greenblatt, I think things will get better still.

Sure there have been shows that just needed a bit of extra time; Perfect Couples, Undercovers, Kings, and Journeyman come to mind but there are plenty of series that have been allowed to hang on despite truly terrible ratings; Chuck, Community, Parks and Rec.

And please don't use Firefly as an example of a network standing behind a show. They put it in a bad timeslot (the friday night death slot and pre-empted it 3 times in it's short 11 episode run), ran the show out of order (with the shows intended pilot actually being the last episode they broadcast) and it was poorly advertised (which was pretty dumb considering how much the show cost to produce). They aren't the sole party to blame in the show not getting ratings but they sure were a heavy contributer. Overall the show was cancelled after only 11 episodes and went off the air with 3 episodes never being run by fox.

And please don't use Firefly as an example of a network standing behind a show. They put it in a bad timeslot (the friday night death slot and pre-empted it 3 times in it's short 11 episode run), ran the show out of order (with the shows intended pilot actually being the last episode they broadcast) and it was poorly advertised (which was pretty dumb considering how much the show cost to produce). They aren't the sole party to blame in the show not getting ratings but they sure were a heavy contributer. Overall the show was cancelled after only 11 episodes and went off the air with 3 episodes never being run by fox.

Okay, if Firefly is a sore point, and not a good example of a network paying to produce more episodes of a show that isn't getting ratings, let's go back to the way it used to be. Remember a little show called 'The Seinfeld Chronicles'? How 'bout 'Cheers'? Or is two full seasons without cracking the top 20 not a strong enough example?

Archived