Ideas for keeping a game rolling

I'm sure we've all encountered it; maybe it's just after a show has finished or just before you begin advance booking for the next one, but somewhere along the line a little voice in your head says: 'I'm bored with this.'

I'm also sure that this happens at wildly different times depending on each individual's approach to their game.

So my question is this: as someone who doesn't really have the foresight to plan out months of storyline in advance and who is also guilty of rushing through segments of the game to get to interesting stuff like title changes, turns and signings, what would your advice be to keep games fresh?

Do you keep a very loose diary? Maybe you handpick a worker you want to get over (personally I really like a few and can never pick just one to push). Whatever your technique for keeping a game going I'd love to hear it.

Cheers folks,

Dev.

I'm very interested in hearing how people keep their games fresh, as well, as I've always had the "I'm bored" problem.

My 1996 WCW game was great, but once I hit 1997, I lost interest pretty quickly. Some of my goals were to make new stars (and by "stars," I mean 95+ USA Popularity) and I accomplished that; other goals were to improve workers' mic skills, and I did that, too. Another goal was to build an nWo invasion storyline. Once I did that, and signed virtually everyone the WWF had, I didn't know where to go, and I just quit.

But, hey, as far as my game is concerned, Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit are two of the best mic workers in the world!

Well, I book my diary with long-term storylines in place, of course.

Other games, I book towards shorter-term goals. I also tend to bounce titles around a bit more, as I want to see more workers with titles and tend to book a bit less... 'diaryish'. Intercontinental title switching hands twice a month? Yep, I'll do that.

I have goals, I pick workers I want to improve or get over, I might even power-game a bit...

Most of all I just do it to have fun. I don't worry too much about getting results, sometimes - I might revive an old title and try and build a division for it. I might push someone weak as a champion just to see how well they improve as they go over better workers every show. One of my favourite 'storylines' was bringing back the US tag titles in WWE and pushing Booker T and JBL as oil-rich Texan Republican heel uber-patriots who just battered everyone in the ring. Completely pointless, but I really got into their gimmick and even five years later I remember them fondly.

That's happened with my long term WCW '88 save, I'm almost to '90 and it's gotten stale now and again. That's usually when I start turning people, start looking through my picture file for cool alts for people and changing gimmicks. I'll also make cuts... even people I might like. If they aren't getting over they aren't getting over, if you're bored with them you're bored with them. That and I'll shake the world up a bit. In my save I added a "simmering tension relationship between Hogan and McMahon and manually booted Hogan from the WWF (the story being that Hogan wanted significant time off for Hollywood and Vince said no... WCW are nipping at their heels in the ratings after all. Heh.) I put Hogan on hiatus... Savage, Rude and Mr. Perfect are the main event squad for my competition now. Even that little change made the game seem fresh,

Good question. I find most people start finding the game boring once you've got an unstoppable roster, no competition, or constantly awesome results- it's why I can't get into a WWE 2001 game despite that being one of my favorite eras.

I find the best way to fight fatigue is to be creative: as we used to say in acting class, "do the opposite." Sometimes you'll find things that inexplicably work and are tons of fun, sometimes you discover things you absolutely shouldn't do ever again: WCW's "set-building" show might not be fondly remembered, but it's certainly something outside of existing wrestling formulas. Push people you wouldn't usually push, sign people you wouldn't usually sign, etc. Start a new game as a different style of promotion and see if that gives your other game any new life.

I had another idea but it's a little more outside the box: would anyone be interested in a sort of "cooperative multiplayer" set-up where only one person actually books the game but a "booking team" of a few people help write the show, determining who feuds, how the show goes, etc., with the person actually inputting the data playing as the actual head booker and everyone else working as creative? I think part of the reason people get bored with their game is they get bored of doing the same style all the time without outside feedback. It would take a little organization but I think it would be pretty fun.

Strip all champs. Put everyone in a battle royale for one title. He is now the sole holder for that title and you build a story around him for 10 or so defenses, then repeat the battle royal.

Do this for each title.

Funtimes

This is an idea. When you do the Battle Royal, just go with an open match and no victor. Let the game decide who wins and then go with that result. It might mean you get whom you expect or someone completely random. I think if i do another save i'm going to pick a solid regional promotion and do that. Get some one evil to be my commissioner and let things fly. Maybe i'll mix it with Astil's idea of firing everyone then start completely anew with game decided champs. That'd be fun.

[quote=lazorbeak;1745752

I had another idea but it's a little more outside the box: would anyone be interested in a sort of "cooperative multiplayer" set-up where only one person actually books the game but a "booking team" of a few people help write the show, determining who feuds, how the show goes, etc., with the person actually inputting the data playing as the actual head booker and everyone else working as creative? I think part of the reason people get bored with their game is they get bored of doing the same style all the time without outside feedback. It would take a little organization but I think it would be pretty fun.

-----------------

This is a good idea too. In the TEW streaming thread, those of us who are chatting in the peanut gallery do have an affect on whom ever is really playing the game. We've been able to talk Astil or Wallbanger into adding or subtracting some stuff. I've gotten the Bumfholes on TV :) Even a win or two.

Good question. I find most people start finding the game boring once you've got an unstoppable roster, no competition, or constantly awesome results- it's why I can't get into a WWE 2001 game despite that being one of my favorite eras.

I find the best way to fight fatigue is to be creative: as we used to say in acting class, "do the opposite." Sometimes you'll find things that inexplicably work and are tons of fun, sometimes you discover things you absolutely shouldn't do ever again: WCW's "set-building" show might not be fondly remembered, but it's certainly something outside of existing wrestling formulas. Push people you wouldn't usually push, sign people you wouldn't usually sign, etc. Start a new game as a different style of promotion and see if that gives your other game any new life.

Oh you had this idea? Seems a lot like a variation of my idea i had months ago. Don't botter, though. Unless all the people involver have availability with will always bomb. What about suggestions to handle a big roster? Anyone has any? I'm startin a WWE 2012 game...and...well, i can't export the roster, it's exausting to write all the names so i don't even try that...and i'm begining to lose interest even before i book show #1. How to make it easy on managing big rosters when the game starts? That would be a helpful thread. Or am i the only one with this problem?

Oh you had this idea? Seems a lot like a variation of my idea i had months ago. Don't botter, though. Unless all the people involver have availability with will always bomb. What about suggestions to handle a big roster? Anyone has any? I'm startin a WWE 2012 game...and...well, i can't export the roster, it's exausting to write all the names so i don't even try that...and i'm begining to lose interest even before i book show #1. How to make it easy on managing big rosters when the game starts? That would be a helpful thread. Or am i the only one with this problem?

Yes, I had that idea. I have no idea what idea you had months ago it's a "variation" of, and I don't know why you seem to have an attitude about it. I assure you I didn't consciously "steal" an idea related to how to play a game for a net profit of zero dollars.

As for the feasibility, Timber already mentioned how it's just a more involved version of what's already going on in a different thread. Yes, it probably wouldn't work if you needed 6 people to coordinate their schedules every week, but I didn't say anything about that.

Yes, I had that idea. I have no idea what idea you had months ago it's a "variation" of, and I don't know why you seem to have an attitude about it. I assure you I didn't consciously "steal" an idea related to how to play a game for a net profit of zero dollars.

As for the feasibility, Timber already mentioned how it's just a more involved version of what's already going on in a different thread. Yes, it probably wouldn't work if you needed 6 people to coordinate their schedules every week, but I didn't say anything about that.

There's no attitude. If there was i would be bashing like some guys do here. I just made a snarky remark. but Nedew is right. Can anyone tell me that threads name? (The one Timber mentioned, i can't find it)

I'm very interested in hearing how people keep their games fresh, as well, as I've always had the "I'm bored" problem.

My 1996 WCW game was great, but once I hit 1997, I lost interest pretty quickly. Some of my goals were to make new stars (and by "stars," I mean 95+ USA Popularity) and I accomplished that; other goals were to improve workers' mic skills, and I did that, too. Another goal was to build an nWo invasion storyline. Once I did that, and signed virtually everyone the WWF had, I didn't know where to go, and I just quit.

!

Eric Bischoff? Is that you? :D

I think the reason I tend to get bored is right in line with your point Lazorbeak.

I'll discover a formula for great shows and never deviate from it or take any risks. Finding the balance between feds which are a bit too easy (like SWF) and those which are too tough is difficult as well, but that definitely has an impact on the longevity of a game for me.

Archived