8-man Diary in TEW2013?

I'm happy to give most anything a try, though as a general rule I lean towards performance-based companies like TCW, NOTPBW, MAW, etc. I do USPW sometimes because of the women's division, and frequently incorporate a women's division into any company I book. I don't want to displace anyone from having their first choice of company though.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, CGC would be the most interesting 'top flight' promotion to run. I've come close to starting a diary with them a few times, but the project never felt 'important' enough to dedicate the time to. Unless I was being revolutionary I struggled to stay interested. A multiplayer project would be all the revolution needed, and if it was written shorthand, their 1 hour of television might be feasible.

Although I once planned a CGC diary around the dawn of TEW2010, and Adam making Steve DeColt defect to NOTBPW ruined so much of what I'd scripted I tossed the entire thing. Not counting on him to keep CGC manageable. :)

Others interesting to me.

TCW - Lot of work, but I've played a lot with them, and I figure they're a must for the project.

NOTBPW - Lot of work, and I'd probably play them with a certain amount of disdain.

AAA/BSC - Unless they're too far removed to interact with manlier promotions.

ACPW

4C

I'm not massively familiar with the American indy promotions, but I'm into that schedule. I enjoy the SWF & USPW products, although their 2010 rosters didn't float my boat for whatever reason.

Would love to play a game with you, would be awesome. :D

Aww, that's really flattering. :)

--

I'm largely with just playing as existing promotions and I don't think it needs to be an all-small-sized (or regional, or whatever) dogfight. If anything new is added then I reckon it should be something at the bottom, so the local levels, and probably not too many at that to not destabilise the game world.

Okay in terms of my preferred promotions...

Hm/ I've actually played most with a 0/0/0/0, but I do think that existing promotions are probably the way to go, like I said. I wouldn't mind sliding myself in at the very bottom, because I like playing 0/0/0/0, but otherwise...

Well, TCW are very much my thing. I've played them more than anyone else. I haven't really played much Japan, but I think I'd connect well with WLW, and I do like getting to grips with NOTBPW. Probably wouldn't mind giving CZCW a wrangle either.

Just want to jump in and say, i think this idea is awesome and can't wait to see it get started (obviously that also factors in how excited i am for TEW2013). I like the feature of being able to add and remove people from the game and makes this concept all the more interesting, with folks getting too busy in the real world and being able to drop out and get replaced.

There should be plenty enough people who'd want to get in on this action and a long enough waiting list that there will be no problems filling out the 'Chosen 8', now on that note let me say i may not be the greatest writer in the world, but what i lack in talent or skill i make up for in enthusiasm and reliability and would love to be added to said waiting list.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to be a huge jerk (which ranges from screwing over a ton of people or mildly inconveniencing them, based on size) or helpful. Really, somewhere in between, but dangit, playstyle is important here...

I think I'm going to ignore everything I already know about the database (-ish, like DWN should still be good, Keith's are great, etc.) and start fresh. If we are playing with Fog of War...I shouldn't know stuff, right? And that is also going to affect my playstyle...

I'm hoping Adam puts Big Smack Scott as head booker of a company, because then I totes want to be him. And that will totes define the playstyle, of course. Totes totes totes.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to be a huge jerk (which ranges from screwing over a ton of people or mildly inconveniencing them, based on size) or helpful. Really, somewhere in between, but dangit, playstyle is important here...

You should be careful about jerkiness. You don't want to ruin people's good time. I like to think we don't need rules of conduct, because we all share a certain level of common decency. Hurting other promotions to improve yours? Totally fine. Hurting other promotions for revenge? Also fine. Hurting other promotions just because you can? Malicious. I suppose everyone has their own idea of morality, and I get the feeling that my personal brand of multiplaying is more tree-huggery than most, but we don't want to run anyone out of the game, do we?

I typically play in the USA or Japan and have dipped my toes in to Australia from time to time, but that is as far as I've made it. None of the other countries have really peaked my interest enough to want to play there.

As for companies I can play either performance or popularity based, but not really into playing hardcore feds. The U.S. or Japan would be the prime places I would want to work, and as for companies here is my list.

PGHW

NYCW

GCG

CZCW

MAW

You should be careful about jerkiness. You don't want to ruin people's good time. I like to think we don't need rules of conduct, because we all share a certain level of common decency. Hurting other promotions to improve yours? Totally fine. Hurting other promotions for revenge? Also fine. Hurting other promotions just because you can? Malicious. I suppose everyone has their own idea of morality, and I get the feeling that my personal brand of multiplaying is more tree-huggery than most, but we don't want to run anyone out of the game, do we?

Awwww, no SWF stealing MAW's workers. All of them. Always. Like I did to DIW once.

._.

I know you've already get 8, but can you stick myname down? Stick me as a reserve if everyone already in stays in.

If I did play there'd be a couple of things;

1) I'd want to play as someone smaller than Cult

2) Show write-ups wouldn't be massive (I've tried several different styles over time, not sure which I would go). I'd be just as interested in posting details on out of show stuff (e.g. reactions to some cheeky git offering a written contract to my champion.

3) I would neccessarily be able to post a show after playing the game.

I think the third one would be one that should by tried to be worked towards - it allows the game to continue being played while you flesh out your write-up. Admittedly it'd be a different way of writing for me, as I normally write up shows as I click through the event. However, I can't guarantee being able to dedicate the time to writing up a show immediately after getting the files, whereas I should have time to book a show and make notes and then pass it on. If we all worked like that then we should be able to pass the game around pretty quickly.

Really liking new posts in this thread and overall community involvement. Keep the project alive! Few comments got me thinking of this..

Proposing a New Rule.

The 'Eidenhoek' Rule.

A promotion can only have a maximum 'x' amount of surplus (over the Recommended Roster size) active wrestlers depending on that promotions size. The Recommended figures in TEW2010 are calculated by promotion size, product style and owner preference so it might vary a bit between promotions even though they're the same size: For example CZCW has min-max of 20-25, FCW has 19-24.

This will effectively prevent a scenario where the most popular and/or biggest promotion would simply steal all the talent as surplus reserves for no other reason than trolling. Additional rules regarding hiring/firing might be included aswell, preventing a major promotion from firing half of the original roster and signing all the top stars from each smaller promotions.

Suggested guidelines:

Size - Maximum amount of workers that you can have:

Local - 1

Small - 2

Regional - 3

Cult - 4

National - 5

International - 6

Global - 6

The 'Eidenhoek' Rule.

See, I liked the time back when we didn't need no rules.

eheh.

Heh.

.___________. You b stealing my strategies, yo!

I'm thinking about how I might want to modify that, but gimme a second...no, wait, you gave me numbers already.

So let's look at 22 wrestlers. 2 hours, say 20-ish minutes of angles. I'll throw in 4 workers for those angles, and we'll assume those are unique guys.

Down to 18, and I got...100 minutes left. Put in a standard tag, that's 4, and a triple threat, so that's 3 more. 7 total, we're at 11.

Assuming those matches are 6 minutes each, we're looking at 18+8 minutes or so, so that's 26 minutes from the 100, meaning...74 minutes left, I believe.

Say that there's a main event, a nice long 16 minutes +2 for 18 minutes, and that's two more guys. So we have...crap. 22-4-11 = 7 -2 main event = 5 guys we haven't used, and...56 minutes, I believe.

Even if I said it was 90 minutes, 1.5 hours, that's 26 minutes and 5 guys we got left. I don't think I should use every guy per show, so what matches can we lengthen...if I go to 10 on the tag match, that's another four minutes, leaving me with 22 left...

I want a B-show.

I'm very strict on myself when it comes to following the roster guidelines, so I usually have no problem keeping my roster in check. I would like to think with this many people playing in a multiplayer game there would be somewhat of a sense of camaraderie between most of human players against the computer companies rather than just everyone against one another. Of course I do want to see some competition just keep it somewhat friendly.

If you can't tell I'm not gonna be the guy who automatically goes to war with everyone on the first game day. Matter of fact I'll probably try and get working agreements with as many people as possible. Maybe if I get PGHW and Derek B gets BHOTWG we can bury the hatchet between the two companies, trade some talent and set up some super cards and stuff. PRIDE Koiso vs. Hiroaki Nakasawa at Night of the Burning Hammer maybe? :D. Then again Derek might just try and run me out of business and take Koiso and run it himself lol.

Really liking new posts in this thread and overall community involvement. Keep the project alive! Few comments got me thinking of this..

Proposing a New Rule.

The 'Eidenhoek' Rule.

A promotion can only have a maximum 'x' amount of surplus (over the Recommended Roster size) active wrestlers depending on that promotions size. The Recommended figures in TEW2010 are calculated by promotion size, product style and owner preference so it might vary a bit between promotions even though they're the same size: For example CZCW has min-max of 20-25, FCW has 19-24.

This will effectively prevent a scenario where the most popular and/or biggest promotion would simply steal all the talent as surplus reserves for no other reason than trolling. Additional rules regarding hiring/firing might be included aswell, preventing a major promotion from firing half of the original roster and signing all the top stars from each smaller promotions.

Suggested guidelines:

Local - 1

Small - 2

Regional - 3

Cult - 4

National - 5

International - 6

Global - 6

As someone always suffering from roster bloat not a bad idea, but I'd be a little more flexible. This rule would make it really hard to quickly introduce a cruiserweight division in SWF, which someone might want to do. I would be a little more trusting and allow further bloat than above. Any other options could make things more complicated, but you never know, Tew 13 might punish underused bloated rosters more so it may not be an issue.

FIN - love the rule about roster size. I try and play that myself in private games.

It should bring a ncie mechanic to handing out written contracts for the big boys. If youll have to pay the whole thing when you sack a guy cos someone better comes up then people might think twice. Which means the Biggs Brothers, American Buffalos and Marc Speeds of the world will hhave more chance of trickling down.

Should be great to watch smaller companies adjust to whos free in any given month rather than ACPW and the like having super-settled rosters.

Cant wait chaps

EDIT Oh - might also be worth limiting larger companies to a set number of dev promotions as well. 1 per country? Otherwise people (not naming names but it ends in idenhoek might be tempted to try and get around the rule.:p

Proposing a New Rule.

The 'Eidenhoek' Rule.

Suggested guidelines:

Local - 1

Small - 2

Regional - 3

Cult - 4

National - 5

International - 6

Global - 6

I don't like the idea of this rule at all. While it would always be different for every promotion, I tend to keep a fairly large roster at all times so that I've got more flexibiility in my booking. The amount of effort that would be needed to keep this rule in effect between all the players would be more than it's worth, and create more restrictions than fun.

If we're worried about people going crazy and doing stupid things like trying to sign the entire game world to their roster thanks to ADHD, then I'd suggest changing the player list rather than creating rules. Otherwise I think we're generally a smart enough group that we shouldn't need rules like this to keep things in check.

I'm very strict on myself when it comes to following the roster guidelines, so I usually have no problem keeping my roster in check. I would like to think with this many people playing in a multiplayer game there would be somewhat of a sense of camaraderie between most of human players against the computer companies rather than just everyone against one another. Of course I do want to see some competition just keep it somewhat friendly.

If you can't tell I'm not gonna be the guy who automatically goes to war with everyone on the first game day. Matter of fact I'll probably try and get working agreements with as many people as possible. Maybe if I get PGHW and Derek B gets BHOTWG we can bury the hatchet between the two companies, trade some talent and set up some super cards and stuff. PRIDE Koiso vs. Hiroaki Nakasawa at Night of the Burning Hammer maybe? :D. Then again Derek might just try and run me out of business and take Koiso and run it himself lol.

Some of the possibilities for BHOTWG vs PGHW matches could be awesome. I'm imagining a BHOTWG guy like Nakasawa or Horri challenging for the PGHW Elite Series or the likes of Koiso coming over to face Kikkawa for the Burning Championship. But at the same time, I've always thought the two promotions should be at war with each other instead of just hostile. Guess we'll have to see how things go when we get closer to the time. :)

One thing that is for sure is that I'll be making liberal use of touring contracts. I'm generally of the opinion that the Japanese Cornellverse has too many people locked into one deal (through writtens or loyalty) and that more people should be freelancing around a bit. Which means my core roster might actually shrink a little after game start, but my touring roster will probably be bigger and full of talent from around the world. If PGHW does the same then we could be sharing a fair few touring type workers fairly regularly, which could be interesting. :)

If we're worried about people going crazy and doing stupid things like trying to sign the entire game world to their roster thanks to ADHD, then I'd suggest changing the player list rather than creating rules. Otherwise I think we're generally a smart enough group that we shouldn't need rules like this to keep things in check.

This. Less rules the better.

I am for no rules and if someone is ruining the fun for the majority then that player who is ruining it gets a warning. If things don't get better they get voted off the b][8 Rings of Wrestling[/b] project.

I like that name... I can already see all the diaries being tagged with [8ROW] in their titles so that they are all instantly recognisable.

While I was out and about I also worked out what I'd be doing while I was running BHOTWG. Assuming they keep running the schedule they are currently running I could run the recap shows, hyping up particular workers and showcasing some big matches from the previous tour while also getting people psyched for the next tour. They wouldn't be huge shows, but they should be enough to get people interested in things and I could maybe drop them in to other people's diaries to get people interested in mine when it properly starts, rather than slowly adding little bits to a diary that wouldn't really get started until a little while into the game. :)

Assuming people would like that, I think I've found my format and my niche. This makes me very happy indeed. :D

I don't like the idea of this rule at all. While it would always be different for every promotion, I tend to keep a fairly large roster at all times so that I've got more flexibiility in my booking. The amount of effort that would be needed to keep this rule in effect between all the players would be more than it's worth, and create more restrictions than fun.

Have to agree with this. If somebody is out to just do what they want at the cost of making the game unfun for the other players they may as well play by themselves.

Some of the possibilities for BHOTWG vs PGHW matches could be awesome. I'm imagining a BHOTWG guy like Nakasawa or Horri challenging for the PGHW Elite Series or the likes of Koiso coming over to face Kikkawa for the Burning Championship. But at the same time, I've always thought the two promotions should be at war with each other instead of just hostile. Guess we'll have to see how things go when we get closer to the time. :)

One thing that is for sure is that I'll be making liberal use of touring contracts. I'm generally of the opinion that the Japanese Cornellverse has too many people locked into one deal (through writtens or loyalty) and that more people should be freelancing around a bit. Which means my core roster might actually shrink a little after game start, but my touring roster will probably be bigger and full of talent from around the world. If PGHW does the same then we could be sharing a fair few touring type workers fairly regularly, which could be interesting. :)

Same here as far as them being at war, I actually thought they already were, but it's a nice thought just the same that they might could work together :)

I like your touring idea as well. Both companies run a similar schedule so perhaps we could alternate workers during different tours. You take workers A, B, and C while I take X, Y, and Z for the first set of touring months, then when the first leg is done we swap. But all the same as you said it'd be better to wait and see what we can do when the time comes.

I am for no rules and if someone is ruining the fun for the majority then that player who is ruining it gets a warning. If things don't get better they get voted off the 8 Rings of Wrestling project.

I like that name... I can already see all the diaries being tagged with [8ROW] in their titles so that they are all instantly recognisable.

Wow.. Guys. I think we finally got a name for this project.

8 Rings of Wrestling. [8RoW]

That sounds so cool. Three votes yay already.

---

Ok the Eidenhoek rule is scrapped and thrown to the dumpster. I guess I was a bit too eager trying implement my own way of playing, I very much keep the minimum roster in each game and really dislike seeing diaries/saves with +5 to +15 people on the roster. Always give your opinion straight and without hesitation, that's how we roll here. :o

They wouldn't be huge shows, but they should be enough to get people interested in things and I could maybe drop them in to other people's diaries to get people interested in mine when it properly starts, rather than slowly adding little bits to a diary that wouldn't really get started until a little while into the game. :)

Derek_B taking over! That's almost like a Dirty Trick in TEW terms :D

EDIT: btw today's Dev Journal entry was huge.

#60: Upgraded Show Ratings

The way final show ratings are calculated has been upgraded in TEW2013.

In previous games, the rating was calculated by creating an initial rating based on the match grades (usually 70% of the main event, 20% of the penultimate match, and 10% of the average of the rest) and then tweaking that slightly based on the angle ratings. While there is nothing wrong with this approach per se, it does force every promotion to concentrate predominantly on matches as they provide the majority of the points.

The new method better incorporates angles by using a two-fold system.

Firstly, an overall angle rating is now created based on a similar method to the matches; it is usually made up of 70% of the best angle rating, 20% of the second best, and 10% of the third best. Obviously these ratios change if there are less than three angles.

Secondly, and crucially, the overall grade is then created by looking at how the show was split (in terms of time) between matches and angles. So if a one hour show featured half an hour of matches and half an hour of angles, the overall rating would be made up of 50% of the overall match rating plus 50% of the overall angle rating.

This is a key change because it means that promotions have far more leeway in how they operate; a company that can pump out great angles but features awful matches had little chance in previous games, whereas in TEW2013 they will be able to operate like that and still have the chance to thrive. It also fundamentally alters the game world, as it means that great entertainers who are poor in the ring are no longer considerably less valuable than great wrestlers who are dull, as they can provide a much bigger positive impact on shows.

I won't hijack this thread, but rather just say this.

I can see at least two other eight man dynasties evolve with this.

1) A draft dynasty based on the amount of drafts we've had lately for TEW 2010 this will probably more than likely happen.

2) A 8 Player Road To Glory competiton. Eight users, with eight wrestlers, starting eight promotions, all seeking glory. I could see a few people using the same wrestlers in different territories\areas around the US, Japan, Canada, etc. So let's say there were four players starting in the US. One person would have their show on a Thursday of Week 2, and the next would have it on a Saturday of Week 2. Then two others would have it on the following Thursday and Saturday of Week 3. All with the same (or some of the same) wrestlers. It would be interesting to see which workers each promotion pushes. Will one try to create a power hungry monster, while the others continually job that person out to get free overness?

Archived