8-man Diary in TEW2013?

Are we floating ideas/concepts in this thread still or has all that action moved to Derek's new thread in the discussions folder?

As far as I'm concerned, this thread should work for all things "8 Rings of Wrestling". I think Derek's other thread is meant to organize and oversee multi-player games in general.

As foolinc says there, I think it would be best to have this thread dedicated to this game and use the giant thread I put togther to try and get any other games ideas going. I think I listed everyone who showed an interest in this thread as being interested, so getting in touch with them might be a good place to start recruiting players as there are some awesome people on there. :)

Glad to be on the team!

Yay, another player who is awesome! :D

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking that to hype up this diary we might want to do a writer showcase, going over our favorite diary, promos, characters, etc.

For example, I might want to link readers to either NEO or TEW108, the promo I wrote for The Stomper in NYCW'97, and the RPW'97 backstage "incident".

You know, to remind readers just who the hell we are :cool:.

I was thinking that to hype up this diary we might want to do a writer showcase, going over our favorite diary, promos, characters, etc.

For example, I might want to link readers to either NEO or TEW108, the promo I wrote for The Stomper in NYCW'97, and the RPW'97 backstage "incident".

You know, to remind readers just who the hell we are :cool:.

It's been a while since I've written a diary, partly because by time I had the time/energy to write I think most of the big companies had been already been done. I had the first 3 or 4 shows of an SWF diary written that I lost to a computer crash and I was going to write a TEW08 diary for 21CW that suffered the same fate, losing my first 3 shows (though I had no internet at the time too).

I think I'd have to link back as far as my TEW05 Award Winning diary... sure, it was Adam who chose it but it was a fun time for me and is likely the longest one I've ever written. Even managed to sneak a best of 7 series storyline in without people noticing that's what it was. And it ended when, once again, my computer surrendered and I lost the game. But at leass tit ws at a good ending point. :)

I only did the one (award winning, generally beloved) diary, so I'm sure most people have no clue about my style. I'll take an excuse to talk about what I did in the old days. When TEW wasn't so fancy as it is today. These kids don't know how good they've got it, dag nabbit.

Pointless Trivia: Dag Nabbit was going to be a character in a fictional universe I planned many moons ago. He was a crazy midget prospector, on a constant search for gold.

Pointless Trivia: Dag Nabbit was going to be a character in a fictional universe I planned many moons ago. He was a crazy midget prospector, on a constant search for gold.

That's just.. Wait for it.. .. Golden. :cool:

I'm thinking about the start of the main diary, the layout and how it will look like. I imagine this huge image that has these picture frames for the player avatar, name and the promotion they are booking. 4 for North America, 4 for Japan.

Also designing the first 3-5 posts of the main trhead, reserved for links and such. It's going to be epic. :) The foreword/introduction bio sounds awesome too. Let's make this the most awesome project on the forums to date. :)

Honestly I've only ever tried like 3 diaries 1 with a created promotion and two with USPW. I started them when I had a lot of spare time on my hands but always ended up getting way to busy with work and school to book entertainment based promotions and try to keep up with story lines and characters was just to much to handle. That is the biggest reason i was wanting to run PGHW. Being a performance based promotion, there are no real dynamic characters to keep up with, no face/heel divide so no turns to have to deal with, and it's just a much more fluid style that I really think I can handle, even if I do get busy from time to time.

With a project this big and this many players involved, I am much more motivated to make it a awesome as possible and push myself to do the best I can because I don't want to let any of the other players down by slacking.

Speaking of layout, I was thinking of using something like this. I'm not sure on the tone of the reports (level of kayfabe, description of matches, etc), but after looking through some of my diaries I think I like this one the best.

That is a very good show layout in my opinion, I use very similar one to that myself with some variations :) To each his own.

I've been tinkering with ideas for my format today. I've done some rankings based type promotions in the past so I've been trying to fine tune the possible rules for my BHOTWG game so that I don't run into the same problems I usually run into. Think I've more or less got them down, so a fairly typical show for me will look something like the following (only properly written out).

Welcome to Burning Hammer's weekly highlight's show with your hosts, whoever my announcers are. Here is a reminder of this month's current rankings....

RANKINGS

.... and here are the results from the last week of BHOTWG.

SHOW RESULTS #1 from wherever the show is held

+ Marihito Masuko, Elemental III and Golden Scorpion defeat Hyosuke Kokan, Kansuke Konda and Black Cobra in 14:51, with Elemental III pinning Kokan via Inferno Splash.

+ The Rebellion defeat Eiji Hamacho and Chuichi Sanda in 17:32, with Miyamae pinning Hamacho following a double team move.

+ MAIN EVENT: Tadiyuki Kikkawa defeats Kanishoki in 8:43 with the Kikkawa Lariat to make defense #7530753 of the King of Fighters Championship.

SHOW RESULTS #2

+ pretty much as above....

BHOTWG news, if something like a fight were to break out on the show or someone were to give an interview, I'd add that here. Basically, this is where I'd add any storylines to help build heat for any rivalries I've got going on.

The Spotlight! Here I'd feature a worker who has been making waves, recapping some recent successes and generally putting them over. Assuming I'm working towards a big PPV I'd be hyping up that match as much as possible and generally build things here, followed by...

Matches! Well, I'd put together one "full" length match featuring the worker above and try to put together an interesting match. More or less it would showcase the worker and possibly any rivalries going on without giving away the PPV matches for free. So this could be a lower level title defenses or showcases for talent to make them look good or a 6 man tag featuring some of the top rivalries going on. Basically, more hype!

And I'd finish off with some advertising for future events. I'd probably be running two events per week when I'm touring plus a monthly PPV, so I'd advertise the top couple of matches for the events being run the following week (should be easy to plan out) and run down the card for the next PPV so far. This could allow people to make predictions and hopefully keep people interested in whatever would come next.

And that would be the show, more or less. Obviously it'd be nicely formatted with pictures where appropriate. I'd aim to update the rankings either after each PPV or at the start of each month, which would lead to shows talking about the rankings and whatnot. During my off months I'd talk more about talent coming in and going out, put the spotlight on the movers and shakers of each division and try to draw people in with talk about likely pushes and potential success stories. It shouldn't take too long to write up a show in this format and the beauty of it is that it should turn into a variety type show, with a little something different on every TV show. I think the format will suit my style quite well, giving me the chance to go into detail when it suits me but to mostly stick to my preferred way of mostly dealing in overarching plot stuff. :)

I've already got loads of ideas for things here, with anything between one and three years worth of plot depending on what happens in the Cornellverse between 2010 and 2013. I just hope I get the chance to play it out with you guys, because it'll feel even more exciting when the rest of the world feels like it's alive. :D

EDIT: For anyone else playing in Japan, do you think it would be a cool idea to have a venue that we all aspire towards filling? I know about Koruaken Hall (sp) in real life and I just had the thought that it would be awesome if we treated one place as being somehow super special. Maybe like... Master Kitozon wrestled his most famous matches in it or something so it's almost considered sacred for Japanese wrestlers, or something like that. It's a little thing, but it would be the littles touch like that one that could make us awesome. :)

Assuming I get WLW, hopefully I can get a TV show in February (if I don't already start with one in 2013). My plan then will be to write out the TV shows presented as a regular weekly TV show, but using existing segments/ratings. So I'd use the segments (and their grades) from the week's tour shows to make up the segments of the TV show (segment lengths won't really matter since they'd be edited for the show anyway), and then have another post giving the actual tour results and stuff.

So the show itself would read like any regular wrestling show, with angles and matches and such. But the actual angles and matches on the show would be picked from among the segments booked on the tour shows. Obviously I'd pick the ones I needed to tell the relevant stories.

I'm envisioning a sort of wrestling Match of the Day, with the studio analysis 'segments' replaced by angles.

The only issue is, I haven't got much of an idea what I'm going to do during the off-months. ¬_¬ Luckily they're spread out so we're never on a break for longer than a month. I guess I could 'cheat' and not bother with them, assuming they'll be used for PPV highlights (we're going to have four PPVs a year, one just before each break as tour-ending shows. The other monthly events will just be regular (though larger) non-televised events).

Edit: As for the Korakuen Hall idea, I like it. The only thing is, Korakuen Hall only actually holds about 2,000 people for wrestling events. The 'big' one in terms of attendance is the Tokyo Dome, which can hold upwards of 60k. Korakuen Hall is kinda the ECW Arena of Japan, the one that every promotion aspires to hold a show in because you're not a real wrestling promotion until you do, rather than the Madison Square Garden where everyone aspires to sell it out to prove they're massive. Still, I love the idea of an arena with special significance.

Assuming I get WLW, hopefully I can get a TV show in February (if I don't already start with one in 2013). My plan then will be to write out the TV shows presented as a regular weekly TV show, but using existing segments/ratings. So I'd use the segments (and their grades) from the week's tour shows to make up the segments of the TV show (segment lengths won't really matter since they'd be edited for the show anyway), and then have another post giving the actual tour results and stuff.

So the show itself would read like any regular wrestling show, with angles and matches and such. But the actual angles and matches on the show would be picked from among the segments booked on the tour shows. Obviously I'd pick the ones I needed to tell the relevant stories.

I'm envisioning a sort of wrestling Match of the Day, with the studio analysis 'segments' replaced by angles.

That sounds awesome.

This is pretty much exactly what I was gonna do, just didn't think about incorporating the tv show into it. I was mostly gonna pick out matches from the tours and kinda give a summary of them while detailing current rivalries and feuds, and just posting the complete show results at the end. Then for the monthly PPV shows I would use a format like what foolinc posted. While I'm not the best at fully writing out matches I would try and give as much detail as possible for the PPV matches.

Re-read my entire Frontier Combat Kingdom project today. I've been trying to come up with a quick & easy way to document my part of this project, but hot damn do I find the episode-by-episode scripted format a satisfying read. There's lot of improvements to make, granted. Brevity. Focus. Pacing. Lots of things I didn't like that would be learned from in a new piece.

I does make me hope Adam does something interesting with CGC for '13, or creates an equivalent promotion with something good going on. FCK had so much tension and drama and angst in it that DeColts vs Elites episode 4000 lacks. No fresh wounds to pick at. Not like Edd vs Jeremy or Jeremy vs Bloodstone. I admire the strong DeColt family bond, love booking it in TEW, but I need conflict for a written story. Something I can relate to.

For Japanese promotions (and seeings as I can't figure out how to work a touring promotion, is something I'll never do... is there a button I'm missing to start tours?) I'd have been tempted to ape the below style, which is the format in which I read my Dragon Gate news. It would need to be complimented by some more detailed shows, so the names jump out as characters rather than a collection of letters... but the style feels familiar and comfortable to me. I would even do this for TCW or NOTBPW, I think. Workratey promotions with lots of shows.

11/4/2011 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall

1. K-ness, Taku Iwasa{W}, Kenichiro Arai (10:16 Noshigami) Don Fuji, Kotoka{L}, Super Shenlong

~Blood Warriors vs. JUNCTION THREE Tug of War 6 vs. 5 Singles Match Series~

2. Rich Swann (3:31 Standing 450 Splash) Naoki Tanizaki

3. Genki Horiguchi (5:11 Backslide from Hell) KAGETORA

4. Ryo Saito (5:03 Double Cross) Super Shisa

5. Susumu Yokosuka (6:47 Yokosuka Cutter) Tomahawk T.T, Tomahawk Kzy{L}

6. Dragon Kid (9:36 Bible) Yasushi Kanda

7. Susumu Yokosuka, KAGETORA{W} (2:54 Ikkitousen) Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi{L}

8. Blood Warriors vs. JUNCTION THREE Yagi Bread Survival Loser Leaves Unit Match: Masaaki Mochizuki, YAMATO{W}, Shingo Takagi, Masato Yoshino, Gamma (40:01 Sleeper Hold) CIMA, Naruki Doi, Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk, Cyber Kong{L}

JIII celebrated their win. Saito said it wasn't a perfect win since he & Horiguchi both won. KAGETORA said it was a cheap win, since Horiguchi needed a low blow. Both sides agreed to a match, but Saito said they wouldn't be waiting until next month. They had a quick match. KAGETORA said the win over Maraha Isappa showed the power he & Susumu had as a team, and they would use it to win the Twin Gate.

Kong is now kicked out of Blood Warriors. His former teammates weren't sympathetic. Tozawa said that a loser was a loser. Hulk said he didn't care. Doi called the end of the Bosoujyuu team. CIMA said someone who gives up in such a situation wasn't necessary.

He demanded a chance for some revenge, so he will get a singles match with YAMATO next month in Korakuen.

Also set for the December Korakuen is the Spike Mohicans vs. Yokosuka Ichoume Twin Gate match.

Touring shows are just normal Weekly shows that you just name as such. Like the whole name of the event would be like "WEXXV: Gorefest Tour (Fri)" "WEXXV: Gorefest Tour (Sun)". Then just put them on weekly on Friday and Sunday. When the tour ends, just rename it for the upcoming tour and that's pretty much it. :)

Re-read my entire Frontier Combat Kingdom project today. I've been trying to come up with a quick & easy way to document my part of this project, but hot damn do I find the episode-by-episode scripted format a satisfying read. There's lot of improvements to make, granted. Brevity. Focus. Pacing. Lots of things I didn't like that would be learned from in a new piece.

I does make me hope Adam does something interesting with CGC for '13, or creates an equivalent promotion with something good going on. FCK had so much tension and drama and angst in it that DeColts vs Elites episode 4000 lacks. No fresh wounds to pick at. Not like Edd vs Jeremy or Jeremy vs Bloodstone. I admire the strong DeColt family bond, love booking it in TEW, but I need conflict for a written story. Something I can relate to.

For Japanese promotions (and seeings as I can't figure out how to work a touring promotion, is something I'll never do... is there a button I'm missing to start tours?) I'd have been tempted to ape the below style, which is the format in which I read my Dragon Gate news. It would need to be complimented by some more detailed shows, so the names jump out as characters rather than a collection of letters... but the style feels familiar and comfortable to me. I would even do this for TCW or NOTBPW, I think. Workratey promotions with lots of shows.

Dude, your FCK diary is the bar that I've aspired to since the first time I read it. In fact, I think I've read through it in its entirety three or four times now. To me it's a lot like the TV show "The Wire" in that the more times I see it, the more of the finer details I pick up on. Just a masterpiece.

Here's what I usually used for the DeColts to create tension and story drama, especially as depending on contract lengths, you can lose one of the top Elite guys early.

Steve ( before he left) overshadowed by his brothers even though he is the oldest and arguably best in the ring.

Jack- Arrogant in his own perceived superiority. Also only one with a visible relationship outside the family in Hotstuff Marie

Alex - Power Hungry and very political. While espousing family unity its always with him as leader.

Ricky- Jealous of his older brothers and kind of apart from them as hes almost a decade younger and is smaller than them ( think younger Von Erich brothers like Mike and Chris, especially Chris who was much smaller than David and Kerry)

That gives a starting point for creating your own storylines as you eventually have one, or more turn against the family when some of these issues boil over.

Seeing as I spent so much time writing The Stones in a particular way, with conflict and drama centred around Edd, I'm very concerned with finding a different way to portray The DeColts. While I don't think I've said everything I have to say about a family at each other's throats, I've said a LOT. How can I not repeat myself? Especially when dealing with another wrestling family?

Plus, unlike the Stones, with Edd and the Jeremy/Dan Jr history, The DeColts have always seemed to be canon babyfaces, sticking together. There's something admirable and noble about that.

Yet, I had a brainstorming session last night. Had some interesting ideas. Which I'd love to discuss, but, you know, I believe in the element of surprise.

Seeing as I spent so much time writing The Stones in a particular way, with conflict and drama centred around Edd, I'm very concerned with finding a different way to portray The DeColts. While I don't think I've said everything I have to say about a family at each other's throats, I've said a LOT. How can I not repeat myself? Especially when dealing with another wrestling family?

Plus, unlike the Stones, with Edd and the Jeremy/Dan Jr history, The DeColts have always seemed to be canon babyfaces, sticking together. There's something admirable and noble about that.

Yet, I had a brainstorming session last night. Had some interesting ideas. Which I'd love to discuss, but, you know, I believe in the element of surprise.

If you ever want to bounce ideas off someone, I can be that someone. :) Though I'm gonna be on and off a lot over the next few days so don't expect fast replies all the time. I imagine your ideas for CGC would be awesome... I've always liked the look of them, but there used to be too many DeColts for my booking tastes. Then my favourite one (the shy but talented one) left instead of the leader or the generally good guy or the kid brother... it made me sad and I never got a game going. :(

If you ever want to bounce ideas off someone, I can be that someone. :) Though I'm gonna be on and off a lot over the next few days so don't expect fast replies all the time. I imagine your ideas for CGC would be awesome... I've always liked the look of them, but there used to be too many DeColts for my booking tastes. Then my favourite one (the shy but talented one) left instead of the leader or the generally good guy or the kid brother... it made me sad and I never got a game going. :(

This is goes for me as well (for being a sounding board and about the DeColts). Whenever I tried to think up something for the company I could write for Steve and Ricky, but struggled hard with Alex and Jack.

Of course, we won't know until we get there, but I'm making the following presumptions on NOTBPW:

I actually believe it likely that NOTBPW will have been overtaken by CGC in TEW13, given the changes already announced. The story of NOTBPW in '13 will be one of opportunities missed. It'll be like 5SSW writ large - all the money guys are retired or too old to go, with too few having been groomed to step in.

Dan Sr., who would be 68, has either passed away or fully retired. Jeremy, at age 46, steps right into the void as owner/lead road agent.

Dan Jr. will be 40. Steve DeColt will be 39. Sean McFly will be 38. Johnny Bloodstone will be 37. There's no way all of these guys are still main eventers on account of terminal decline. One or more may have retired from active competition or moved on. My guess is it will be Steve and/or Johnny; I refuse to indulge in the Sean-Vickie affair/divorce scenario that some seem to pine for.

I do believe Cliff Wilson (42) has retired and moved back to the UK to start up a new company. There's not really any need for him to be road agenting in NOTBPW or Japan. This sets up a bold prediction/hope/prayer on my part; Cliff will petition Dan Sr./Jeremy to re-hire Steven Parker so he can pass the Dark Angel persona to his protege and put Parker over before Wilson retires. Dark Angel II (28) will have just broken into the main event.

The rest of the upper midcard has the same problem. R.K. Hayes (41), Damian Carvill (41), Owen Love (38) and John Maverick (37) are all going to be in terminal decline. The midcarders perceived in 2010 to be knocking on the door? Look at the ages there: Tim Westybrook (37), Harrison Hash (37), Omar Brown (34), James King (33). Brown and King are likely to be around, though I think Brown will be the one who has broken through, while King will still be languishing in the midcard.

The rest of the current midcard are younger (Harlem Haynes-30, Danny Cananagh-29) but not not good fits for NOTBPW if their product is similar to its current incarnation. I actually really hope one or both of them are in CGC by this point; they would have a better chance to shine there. The one potential surprise here could be Derek Frost (32) - I could see him in the same role RK is now as an upper midcard gatekeeper, perhaps with a persona makeover.

The only older guy in the undercard is Canadian Dragon (37), who will likely be gone. The rest are young guns. Julian Watson (30) will be at a make-or-break point in his career, if he hasn't made a big move up the card at this point, he may not make one at all. Jason O'Conner (26) could potentially have broken out; he fits the style, it's just a question of what his stats look like in '13. By then I expect he'll have at least one or two tag title reigns under his belt with Fighting Irish parner Robbie McNamara (29) before they are split up to focus on singles competition. O'Connor I expect to be in the upper midcard and rising, McNamara in the midcard and stalled. Erik Strong (27) is not just a likely breakout but could be huge at this point if his stats mature well, but this would also make him a potential target for sniping by SWF/TCW. Flash (26) will have had to have made some pretty significant strides to still be relevant to NOTBPW; I would bet he's been cut and will be working for 4C/ACPW at this point.

Next, let's look at the three dojo graduates set to debut between '10 and '13. Mark Griffin (23) and Hugh Ancrie (22) are NOTBPW stars in the making, but both are still very green and will be paying their dues in the undercard. Devyn Reynaud (21) is kinda meh, a better fit for ACPW than NOTBPW. I never kept him long-term in any of my games.

So for NOTBPW to be even close to its '10 form in '13 there would have to be some big free-agent signings or poachings from other companies. Of course, the biggest questions on that front; do Duane and/or Edd return home after Dan Sr. is out of the picture, and would it make a difference? Duane will be 38 - has his window to carry NOTBPW closed? Edd (26) still has beef with Dan Jr. and has a solid spot on TCW's roster, what motivation would he have to return? Shooter Sean Deeley (27) could possibly have come over from CGC, but I'm not counting on it - he's probably headlining with Ricky for the CGC World Title on a regular basis. Could potentially see Ozzie Golden being signed and reuniting the Canadian Blondes (presuming Flash is still around). Davis Wayne Newton (25) and Jacob Jett (26) are going to be on one or both big Canadian rosters if they haven't moved south.

Sadly, I'm not even sure NOTBPW will even have a women's division by '13 if NOTBPW's position deteriorates as I expect it will; it may even be the canonical justification to open CWWF. Presuming the women's division is still active: Melody and Kristabel Plum (both 32) could possibly be retired, and if not, will be slowing down. Lauren Easter (25) would be the undisputed leader of the division, providing she hasn't been stolen by someone else. Sally Anne Christianson (24) would be in the mix as well and will have likely improved. Amber Allen (26) almost has to be signed up to NOTBPW at this point, especially if Melody/Plum are out. There are no female House of Stone graduates before '13, but potential additions who would be decent fits for the division include Brooke Tyler (20), Deborah Young (22), and Thea Davis (22). Maybe a big signing or two could come out of AAA - Sara Marie York and Jamie Quine would be great fits for NOTBPW.

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic, but I'm pretty sure NOTBPW will be firmly in 'rebuilding' mode in '13. Should make for an interesting challenge.

Harrison Hash (37).

Holy crap. That one was so surprising I actually had to open TEW and check. ¬_¬ I remember when he was the original Panda Mask.

This then lead to the realisation that when the original TEW was released, I was 18 and still in university.

Egg? Egg, I dreamed I was old. :(

WLW are going to be a very different prospect. Eagle, Ishibashi, Silver Shark, Hisato and of course Narita will all be over 40. Narita and Eagle will be nearly 50. At that rate, Kojima might have to dust off his main eventing boots. Angel and Kobe better still be there, or I'll be screwed. The good thing about WLW is though, that unlike NOTBPW, I can pretty much pull any random kid out of a dojo, give him a gimmick and shove him through the curtain and he won't fail too hard. And Extraordinario Jr. can't hide in Mexico forever. Gino Montero must be ready for a bit of world experience too.

GCG

Kudo is 49, totally retired Road Agent by then I'd guess. Gakusha 33, at his prime, same goes with Hyobanshi 36. Cox and Hall both retired I guess. That elevates Takayuki 2000, 34 and Kuroki, 33 to the main event scene, Tayama too, 31 since Ikina retired probably. Mabuchi Furusawa and SUKI will be 26, almost reaching his prime. But there's like 6-8 guys in GCG that are reaching/are over 40 by 2013. Hmm..

WEXXV

Total revamp of the upper midcard/main event scene in WEXXV. Only guys still active from mid-ME status are Senmatsu 27, Kajiwara 37, Morisue 34, Doug Peak 33 and Sakata 36. I'd also assume that the wear and tear of the hardcore style has worn each of them off physically so WEXXV is in serious need for younger talent. Konoe is 26 but that's about it, talking about the true talent of the roster. Hopefully they haven't gone under or I'll cry. Seriously, I'm not joking here. :(:D

Archived