Wrestling As A Sport

This thread is for the people who love pure wrestling. I am personally running a company based on the real ROH. Honestly doing a company like this has my popularity always increasing and fast. As I have medium positive in 5 of the 7 areas and minor positive in 1 of the remaining two. The last one, British Isles, has no effect. If anybody need help on who to hire and how to get started with this type of company, which is heavy on the wrestling aspect of thing, post it here.

Good luck on dominating TCW, SWF, USPW, and NOTBPW.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Ring of Honour has ever really been "sport." Certainly it was more so in the past than it has been now, but I just listened to a podcast the other day where Gabe Sapolsky stated that the "Pure" title was just a gimmick he came up with because he hated the concept of midcard titles.

That being said, I can't really think of too many "pure" wrestlers off the top of my head, though Billy Robinson always struck me as likely being of that mold. And Sterling Whitlock, though I really have no reason basis for that other than the fact that he is a "puro" wrestler.

I always saw ROH as "Americans channeling 90's AJPW as hard as they can" so it was "wrestling as a sport" with a strong dash of traditional wrestling on top, meaning faces, heels, gimmicks (Subtle as they are with some guys).

That said, pure wrestling works wonders in TEW, particulary in Japan.

I've been playing a save where I turned up the pure switch on OLLIE, making it a interesting mix of traditional lucha kayfabe with clean finishes and in ring storytelling.

Actually gave me an edge and easily got me to cult.

If you want 'Wrestling as a Sport', watch some of the real technical battles on World of Sport, it is a million miles from ROH and far and away more realistic. I'm sorry but i find it hard to take any promotion with the likes of Davey Richards remotely seriously :p

You're entitled to like what you like of course, but i wouldn't come close to calling ROH pure wrestling. You need to go back to the 70s to see that.

If you want 'Wrestling as a Sport', watch some of the real technical battles on World of Sport, it is a million miles from ROH and far and away more realistic. I'm sorry but i find it hard to take any promotion with the likes of Davey Richards remotely seriously :p

You're entitled to like what you like of course, but i wouldn't come close to calling ROH pure wrestling. You need to go back to the 70s to see that.

You have got to be trolling. If not PLEASE send me whatever drugs you're on. PLEEEEASE!

You have got to be trolling. If not PLEASE send me whatever drugs you're on. PLEEEEASE!

Which part would you be referring to? If it's WoS being realistic, i'm referring more to Pat Roach et al rather than Big Daddy and Adrian Street.

If it's ROH being pure, well, agree to disagree :p But head-drops and no-sells aren't part of 'pure' for me.

In terms of "Pure"... I don't think Nedew is off-base. I'd say its still a noticeable part of ROH's product, maybe even as high as Medium (I'd personally have it at Low), but "Modern" is almost certainly ROH's "Key Feature". Reading the in-game descriptions, and that thought process is supported.

Modern says "... matches that are fast-paced and heavy on spectacular, sometimes dangerous moves. There is a definite emphasis on exciting in-ring work."

Pure says "... flashy unrealistic moves are not used, replaced by intricate counter wrestling and slow methodical ring work."

While I've seen that second quote a few times in ROH matches, the vast majority are the absolute of the first quote. They are the living, breathing archetype of the "Modern" product. Again, not saying ROH doesn't have some "Pure" elements, they most certainly do, but its very, very, very far from being the dominant chunk of the product. Modern, Cult, and Traditional are all more prevalent in it.

Which part would you be referring to? If it's WoS being realistic, i'm referring more to Pat Roach et al rather than Big Daddy and Adrian Street.

If it's ROH being pure, well, agree to disagree :p But head-drops and no-sells aren't part of 'pure' for me.

WoS being realistic i agree. The Davey Richards part is very silly though. lol

ROH is obviously pure with entertainment increasingly added through the years.

In terms of "Pure"... I don't think Nedew is off-base. I'd say its still a noticeable part of ROH's product, maybe even as high as Medium (I'd personally have it at Low), but "Modern" is almost certainly ROH's "Key Feature". Reading the in-game descriptions, and that thought process is supported.

Modern says "... matches that are fast-paced and heavy on spectacular, sometimes dangerous moves. There is a definite emphasis on exciting in-ring work."

Pure says "... flashy unrealistic moves are not used, replaced by intricate counter wrestling and slow methodical ring work."

While I've seen that second quote a few times in ROH matches, the vast majority are the absolute of the first quote. They are the living, breathing archetype of the "Modern" product. Again, not saying ROH doesn't have some "Pure" elements, they most certainly do, but its very, very, very far from being the dominant chunk of the product. Modern, Cult, and Traditional are all more prevalent in it.

I'd say a combination of both but much more Pure.

If ROH is key feature Pure, then what is this? Or

? Super-duper Pure?

As Comradebot says, ROH is the epitome of Modern. It has some Pure influences of course, but 'spectacular, sometimes dangerous moves' screams ROH. Put Verne Gagne vs. Billy Robinson in an ROH ring and chances are you'll hear 'boring' chants. ROH, by and large, is all about an even-faster, even-more-dangerous version of 90s All-Japan (Misawa vs. Kobashi and so on).

? Super-duper Pure?

As Comradebot says, ROH is the epitome of Modern. It has some Pure influences of course, but 'spectacular, sometimes dangerous moves' screams ROH. Put Verne Gagne vs. Billy Robinson in an ROH ring and chances are you'll hear 'boring' chants. ROH, by and large, is all about an even-faster, even-more-dangerous version of 90s All-Japan (Misawa vs. Kobashi and so on).

Not Super Duper Pure lol. Whatever that means but less of other styles.

I'd say they are all equal with pure being the main style but ROH has modern and entertainment as well. Last i checked you could have 2 heavies or 2-3 key features in TEW logic. It also kind of depends on perception because i'm sure we all have a certain number of cards that we remember and may perceive things differently. For me ROH is a Key Feature Pure maybe even knocked back to Heavy w/ it incorporating other styles a bit more as time has passed.

But i just chimed in because i personally believe Davey's style is very much Pure Wrestling whether he under sells like crazy or not. I can respect everyones opinion without question all be it inferior to mine. :cool:

I'm going to have to take Nedew's side on this one. The Gagne/Robinson match he linked is a 100% key feature pure match.

RoH is and always been modern. The code of honor and the way the product is presented is called 'Pure Wrestling' but that's marketing - that would be realism in TEW, where matches have concise ends, and the matches are presented as legitimate sporting contests. I could make a realistic fed with no angles and call it the Pure Wrestling Federation and say that we're 100% pure, but have matches that are anything but.

Pure matches look more like a ground submission based MMA fight or amateur wrestling. They're almost never fast paced at all, there's no rope-running etc. etc. think hyper realism, but worked and not stiff. That's pure.

Davey Richards is not even remotely "pure" wrestling.

Pure, in essence, is World of Sports Catch-as-catch-can style.

From there you move on to shoot-style, which is pure with realistic, and hyper realistic overtones, such as UWF, UWF-i, BattlARTS, Kingdom etc.

Davey Richards is not even remotely "pure" wrestling.

Pure, in essence, is World of Sports Catch-as-catch-can style.

From there you move on to shoot-style, which is pure with realistic, and hyper realistic overtones, such as UWF, UWF-i, BattlARTS, Kingdom etc.

Puro in Japan isn't pure either? lol

What kind of distorted views do we have here?

No, it's not.

Puro does not mean pure. It (loosely) means 'professional'. Puro Resu. Professional wrestling. Not a direct translation, but close enough.

Most puroresu is traditional mixed with realism and a bit of hyper-realism. There's a bit of pure wrestling involved, sure, but it's not the poster product for the "pure" product type.

Products are, obviously, made up of loads of different elements. You can't point to a promotion and say "that's Pure" or "that's Traditional". But WoS, pre-Big Daddy, is more pure than Strong Style puroresu, IMO. In "pure" wrestling you don't tend to punch people, or suplex them all that much. The lariat is not a staple of the pure wrestling style either. There's a lot more Realism than Pure evident in Strong Style, most of the time.

This thread didn't go near the direction Irishwhiskey thought it would. I agree ROH is constant motion, non stop action, high spots, head drops, etc its not slow methodical countering and what not. I don't recall anyone in Japan or anywhere else trying to imply that Puro was "pure" so I'm not sure whats so absurd about someone saying its not pure.

No, it's not.

Puro does not mean pure. It (loosely) means 'professional'. Puro Resu. Professional wrestling. Not a direct translation, but close enough.

Puroresu is traditional mixed with realism and a bit of hyper-realism. There's a bit of pure wrestling involved, sure, but it's not the poster product for the "pure" product type.

Just wandering into this thread, but sooooooo this!

If you're referring to "Pure" wrestling as "Puro" then frankly that's...well, inaccurate.

If you're referring to "Pure" wrestling as "realistic", then well...you have to sell which they do a terrible job of in Japan, as "Fighting Spirit" is hardly realistic.

So this idea that Puro is Realistic wrestling, it isn't...just because a promotion uses guys that have that "I'm a real Japanese fighter" gimmick, whether it be in America or Japan or anywhere, it doesn't make them more realistic...it just means they are emulating Japanese puro...or taking aspects of MMA and adopting elements of it into thier moveset.

You're always going to have a difference of opinion between people who prefer old school and new school styles of wrestling, and both sides are right...it's not as believable for guys to be kicking out of 8 finishers in one match, but at the same time it's a lot more exciting than a slow paint by numbers match.

? Super-duper Pure?

I'd call that boring. When I can see Gagne in a headlock, skip ahead 13 minutes and he's still in a headlock... I prefer the Dean Malenko style to wrestling, chain wrestling and technical holds, but far from "slow and plodding".

Old school Japanese wrestling - Rikidōzan and the like - is pretty pure. Not only pure, but there is quite a bit of the chain wrestling. But once you get into strong style, it really only has pure in certain elements, not as a whole.

And Derek - under traditional pro wrestling rules, closed fisted strikes are illegal, so you definitely wouldn't get a lot of striking. Forearm strikes and the like but not really a lot for punches or even elbows.

I'd call that boring. When I can see Gagne in a headlock, skip ahead 13 minutes and he's still in a headlock... I prefer the Dean Malenko style to wrestling, chain wrestling and technical holds, but far from "slow and plodding".

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to like what they like. We're discussing definitions here though, not preferences.

I like a variety of wrestling though, and that match is one of them. I like gritty chain wrestling, but i also like Hulk Hogan and John Cena, and yet i also loved Nagata/Suzuki from the Tokyo Dome show the other day. Pretty much the only things i don't like are hardcore and head-drops, if you must know :p

With regards to Gagne/Robinson though, i just really like chain wrestling. Two guys going hold for hold, like an exhibition match. Yeah, i prefer Flair/Steamboat, but then that's wrestling perfection for me. I can appreciate Gagne/Robinson for what it is y'know? Your mileage may vary of course :)

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to like what they like. We're discussing definitions here though, not preferences.

I like a variety of wrestling though, and that match is one of them. I like gritty chain wrestling, but i also like Hulk Hogan and John Cena, and yet i also loved Nagata/Suzuki from the Tokyo Dome show the other day. Pretty much the only things i don't like are hardcore and head-drops, if you must know :p

With regards to Gagne/Robinson though, i just really like chain wrestling. Two guys going hold for hold, like an exhibition match. Yeah, i prefer Flair/Steamboat, but then that's wrestling perfection for me. I can appreciate Gagne/Robinson for what it is y'know? Your mileage may vary of course :)

Ric Flair vs Bruiser Brody is probably right up your alley then ;)

Archived