~ Official Release ~ May 2001 "WCW Lives On"

Ok thanks, I thought about doing it that way before but I wasnt sure.

Should I use TGA's Product settings for ECW or would the hardcore revolution preset be fine?

You know I just realised TGA has ECW as the original Eastern Championship Wrestling which hadn't turned into what most remember as the hardcore ECW. I would definitely go with the preset product and maybe look at tweaking a few things like Lucha to very low if ratings are suffering as a result. I haven't had any time to experiment with ECW yet in the new TEW.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you might have had this problem with your regular 2001 mod with WCW dying, but you have Cannonball Grizzly and Avalanche PN Neuz, who are both the same person.

Genadi's TEW 2010 mods had Dirty White Girl being mistakenly set to Male. Looks like the running mistake in Genadi's TEW 2013 mods will be duplicate PN News. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone playing this as WCW? If so, how well are you doing? I'm really struggling and could do with a few tips lol.

So much shit on their roster.

Yeah, let me help you out.

Top 10 Tips to succeeding as WCW

-----------------------------------

1. Don't hire Vince Russo.

2. Don't appoint a Kevin Sullivan as your new Booker - it makes Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Eddy Guerrero, Shane Douglas, Konnan, and (World Champion) Chris Benoit quit. They normally show up in Stamford 3 weeks later.

3. Don't end Goldberg's streak when he's clearly your only bastion of ratings.

4. Don't let Sid Vicious, Stevie Ray, or Scott Steiner touch a microphone. Fruit booty.

5. Don't nab Bret Hart from the WWF and push him as a midcarder for his first 8 months.

6. Don't prove you hate everything Cruiserweight by A)Putting them in Pinata-on-a-Pole matches or B)Letting Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan talk about the nWo through their entire contests while Mike Tenay tries to call the action.

7. Don't make fun of Mick Foley winning the WWF Title when your main event is Hogan poking Kevin Nash in the chest and pinning him to piss off 5,000,000 viewers.

8. Don't book "Young Vs. Old" storylines and push the legends as heels. The fans won't boo Lex Luger and DDP fighting off 10 jackoffs they've never heard of.

9. Don't install a TV under your announce table so you can worry more about RAW than Nitro and re-write your show 3 times while on-air.

10. Whatever you do, avoid anyone with the names "Jamie" or "Kellner".

Just abide by this and you'll be fine!

Anyone playing this as WCW? If so, how well are you doing? I'm really struggling and could do with a few tips lol.

So much shit on their roster.

I cleared the crap, both the negative influences and the worst of the workers that were left, without much care for popularity. Then brought in the most talented workers available that weren't negative influences, and some new road agents that knew what they were doing (Dory Funk Jr, Ricky Steamboat) and fired Johnny Ace, etc.

Then build the shows around Sting, Flair, DDP and Booker T. I put the World Title onto DDP and have Sting chasing him, while Booker defends the US against Kanyon/Jarrett, and Flair is feuding with Dustin Rhodes (and Dusty on the side). I also upped Modern to (I think) Medium in the product to bring the focus slightly more towards Performance (though still more Popularity), and then mix in the workers lower down the card with those main four and a few of the other Upper Midcarders. Working Rey Mysterio up the card with the most focus because he's probably the best worker but others are drifting up too. It's giving me grades that are just above my popularity for TV (B-/B) and a little better for PPV (B+).

I also opened a couple of smallest possible dev. territories and have signed up the best young workers so I'll have a few more talented bodies to flesh out the undercard soon. Oh, and put Tenay and Zbyszko on commentary (perhaps with a third, I use Dusty) because their experience adds a bonus to matches.

Cheers, Slim. Lex has finally asked for a release and will be leaving in 2 weeks lol. Rey and RVD are moving up nicely and getting good matches from my main eventers. Sting's being a tit though and refuses to gain any popularity no matter what he does.

Oh and Goldberg gets over soooo easy. Everything's going much better this time around lol.

I cleared the crap, both the negative influences and the worst of the workers that were left, without much care for popularity. Then brought in the most talented workers available that weren't negative influences, and some new road agents that knew what they were doing (Dory Funk Jr, Ricky Steamboat) and fired Johnny Ace, etc.

Then build the shows around Sting, Flair, DDP and Booker T. I put the World Title onto DDP and have Sting chasing him, while Booker defends the US against Kanyon/Jarrett, and Flair is feuding with Dustin Rhodes (and Dusty on the side). I also upped Modern to (I think) Medium in the product to bring the focus slightly more towards Performance (though still more Popularity), and then mix in the workers lower down the card with those main four and a few of the other Upper Midcarders. Working Rey Mysterio up the card with the most focus because he's probably the best worker but others are drifting up too. It's giving me grades that are just above my popularity for TV (B-/B) and a little better for PPV (B+).

I also opened a couple of smallest possible dev. territories and have signed up the best young workers so I'll have a few more talented bodies to flesh out the undercard soon. Oh, and put Tenay and Zbyszko on commentary (perhaps with a third, I use Dusty) because their experience adds a bonus to matches.

This is always how I handle WCW with moving the modern up to medium. Works well for me but I do keep some of the negative influences that I enjoy like Kevin Nash, and Scott Steiner.

Yeah, let me help you out.

Top 10 Tips to succeeding as WCW

-----------------------------------

1. Don't hire Vince Russo.

2. Don't appoint a Kevin Sullivan as your new Booker - it makes Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Eddy Guerrero, Shane Douglas, Konnan, and (World Champion) Chris Benoit quit. They normally show up in Stamford 3 weeks later.

3. Don't end Goldberg's streak when he's clearly your only bastion of ratings.

4. Don't let Sid Vicious, Stevie Ray, or Scott Steiner touch a microphone. Fruit booty.

5. Don't nab Bret Hart from the WWF and push him as a midcarder for his first 8 months.

6. Don't prove you hate everything Cruiserweight by A)Putting them in Pinata-on-a-Pole matches or B)Letting Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan talk about the nWo through their entire contests while Mike Tenay tries to call the action.

7. Don't make fun of Mick Foley winning the WWF Title when your main event is Hogan poking Kevin Nash in the chest and pinning him to piss off 5,000,000 viewers.

8. Don't book "Young Vs. Old" storylines and push the legends as heels. The fans won't boo Lex Luger and DDP fighting off 10 jackoffs they've never heard of.

9. Don't install a TV under your announce table so you can worry more about RAW than Nitro and re-write your show 3 times while on-air.

10. Whatever you do, avoid anyone with the names "Jamie" or "Kellner".

Just abide by this and you'll be fine!

Loled hard at rhis. :D

• 3 weeks later...
This is always how I handle WCW with moving the modern up to medium. Works well for me but I do keep some of the negative influences that I enjoy like Kevin Nash, and Scott Steiner.

I do the same thing, except for putting "modern" to "medium." I think I might try that and see what it does for my ratings.

WCW's tricky to get going, especially with the 2001 scenario. This is probably the biggest challenge I've had while still trying to keep it realistic. By that, I mean I don't go sign up RVD, John Cena, etc. I feel like that's cheating...Plus I'm not real big on RVD anyway (I'd probably handle him much the same way that WCW did with Bret Hart). I do dump off most of the crap in WCW (Russo, Johnny Ace, Animal) and try to hire some positive influences and younger workers. I open up a developmental fed and a dojo (since the Power Plant is closed and can't be reopened). I send everyone on my current roster to development that can still use some work, like the Mamalukes and Jindrak/O'Haire. I hire new Road Agents - Ricky Steamboat is invaluable - and I try to make the titles important again. It's a lot of work because Russo succeeded in making the WCW titles mean absolutely nothing. I've given the champs some long title reigns to bring back up the prestige.

My main event scene is surrounded by Sting, Goldberg, Booker T, Scott Steiner, and Ric Flair. I'm still working on rebuilding my tag team division. My development fed is full of tag teams right now. I feel like my effort to rejuvenate the Cruiserweight division is a lost cause though. I've brought back the TV title and I'm trying to build up Lance Storm, but that's turned out to be difficult.

I've attempted to sign some good veterans, but the WWF is fighting me hard on that one and have naturally succeeded in winning the battle so far. Curt Hennig was a main one I wanted to sign, but the WWF beat me out. They've also picked up Hogan, Jake Roberts, Barry Windham, Animal, and Haku, just to name a few. I'm nearing the end of 2001 and I haven't really made many gains, but I also haven't really dropped either. I'm hoping I really start to build again after the new year, but it's definitely a work.

I just don't know what to do with wcw. I've tried twice and both times I start over after GAB.

-Get TV and PPV contracts but can't make money off either of them because networks want 100% of ad revenue.

-Backstage is a mess but I was willing to trade off a little bad behavior to have popular guys but their segment grades suck. I put them in angles and I'm lucky to get a 75 out of a promo with them.

-Cruiserweights might as well not even be used because they cant have a match that scores better than a 50.

I havent done the thing others mentioned with moving the slider on modern but I keep my matches to what the product wants for TV and events and I've never sniffed a 90 match or segment even with popular main eventers with good momentum behind them. I dont know if its the genral booking notes I'm using or what, it gets to the point that after losing money over and over its too frustrating to keep going because nothing ever gets better.

/vent

Can understand the frustration. WCW at this point in time, in this mod, is no easy thing. But you need to be realistic about your expectations.

Expecting 90+ rated segments is a bit much. WCW starts as a Cult sized company with a popularity-heavy product and a roster that isn't really that over. Your most over talent isn't particularly great in the ring. Some are hitting an age where they might be on decline, which can be a pretty severe penalty in TEW 2013.

One of the first things I always do before tackling a game in a mod is to run a watcher game. Even just a few weeks. If I don't know the mod or mod-maker, it helps make sure its a balanced mod that isn't going to give really odd results. It also shows me how the AI does with the promotion I'm going to run. I know I can book more effectively for results than the AI can but it gives me a baseline. I know I can book an easy grade above what the AI gets for shows. But if the AI is booking C+ shows - and a quick sim tells me that it is - then expecting to book B+ and A shows is a bit unrealistic.

Don't shoot for the moon on every show. Aim for a realistic grade - say B - on each show and book for that. Once you have TV, book to your strengths. If you have popular workers who don't really deliver in the ring - hello Goldberg and Steiner - then keep them out of the ring in matches that will hurt the show grade. Keep their momentum up with some squash matches. Limit how much you use lower card workers on TV, as they don't have the popularity to help you. That applies to the cruiserweights, especially as the starting product isn't kind to them. If you have a 2 hour show, drop it to 90 minutes, as its easier to grab strong grades then. It will come at the cost of not having as much time to build up lower card guys, but you can still pick one or two projects to build up over a few months. Move them into the top of your card to replace the less talented guys, then repeat until you have a strong main event. It will take awhile, but WCW isn't set up to be challenging the WWE any time soon in this mod.

If you build up the right talents, the strong grades will come as their popularity grows.

At cult, its not easy or likely to get decent TV and PPV deals that will make you money. That's even true at national if you try for the biggest possible size you can get.

Use your user points smartly to address a few issues. Put extra points into Diplomacy can help quell a bad backstage environment, for example.

Another option... do some editing. In last year's game, i edited the mod a bit and used Mark Cuban as my user character, which made it relatively legit to give WCW some starting money.

Thank you for the tips and advice. I guess I'm approaching this with some rose colored glasses thinking sting, flair, booker, etc are as popular as I seem to remember them being but then again I'm probably thinking in terms of 1996-7 and not 2001 with everyone being 5 years older and more worn down and stale.

Gonna give this another shot and see about getting past two months this time lol.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as a Cult promotion, you're not going to be scoring 90 show ratings. As Cult, if you score a show rating as 60 or 65, that's pretty good. Look in the narrative after the show and see how it came off. Your segments are lower rated the lower your promotion size is. Getting a 60 rating in Cult is good. Getting a 60 rating as a Global company is bad. The popularity levels between the two is different.

It will take time to build the company. Like I said, I just turned into 2002 and I've not really made any gains...But I haven't really dropped either. I'd say that would make 2001 a success. If you quit after GAB, that doesn't give you any realistic time to make any progress. You won't make an immediate gain.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Consrvtve" data-cite="Consrvtve" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35317" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Okay back for more stupid questions. I did the change of modern up to medium. Now it says the crowd in every match was upset there weren't more dangerous spots. How do I fix this?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think if you go into your product and click (I think) "Data Check" it will tell - in this case you'll need to move "match danger" up.</p>

Archived