Let's help sell TEW '16

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
/r/squaredcircle and /r/fantasybookers are both good places to post a thread as we get closer to the date. Maybe see if mods there will sticky the thread around release time

r/TotalExtremeWrestling is also around. I run it and have just started back with it would be cool to get our sub some new subscribers.

This is actually something I bring up a lot in regards to indy promotions. If you can create brand awareness there, it's the easiest form of advertising ever.

Agreed but as ZMAN mentioned it could turn into a spammy type turn off fairly easily if not done correctly and do the game more harm then good. Reddit is definitely a great place to put the word out I just fear all of us posting on Squaredcirce will not go over well. Any ideas of how we can make TEW known there in a good way?

Togg mentioned a hashtag that will trend if we all tweet at the same time. Maybe we can organise that for release day.... I know a lot of us will be online at the same time waiting for the demo.

I sent an email requesting a prominent streamer play the game live.

Haven't heard back from him, he gets a lot of mail.

Are streams really good advertising? Typical "big" streamers are terrible at games and spend half the time thanking people for putting change in their cup.

Are streams really good advertising? Typical "big" streamers are terrible at games and spend half the time thanking people for putting change in their cup.

Nah, this guy is legit. He has a big youtube presence alongside with his own channel. He also is known for playing 2k16.

Don't think anything will come of it -- if it does, it'll probably be after some RW mods are prepared for '16.

Reddit is definitely a great place to put the word out I just fear all of us posting on Squaredcirce will not go over well. Any ideas of how we can make TEW known there in a good way?.

I'm not sure of a definite 'good way' of making it known but it would need to work as sort of an orchestrated effort. If we figure out how many redditors there are among us we essentially appoint a 'figurehead' to drop the first post regarding the game. All of our Redditors here upvote that post and comment within there regarding their experiences of the previous versions etc.

With enough upvotes and traction it could gain the attention of others. The demo being free to download will be a big draw for Redditors. Especially when they find out about the plethora of RW mods that'll be available.

Might seem like a lot of hassle, but if we reach 1% or R/squaredcircle that's over 1000 people who could potentially enjoy the demo enough to buy the game, increase the population of the great community we have here and deservedly line Adam's pockets for the effort he puts in and the quality game we get out of it.

I never use Twitter anymore? Is it still a big deal? A hashtag for release sounds like a great idea there as well.

I'm not sure of a definite 'good way' of making it known but it would need to work as sort of an orchestrated effort. If we figure out how many redditors there are among us we essentially appoint a 'figurehead' to drop the first post regarding the game. All of our Redditors here upvote that post and comment within there regarding their experiences of the previous versions etc.

With enough upvotes and traction it could gain the attention of others. The demo being free to download will be a big draw for Redditors. Especially when they find out about the plethora of RW mods that'll be available.

That's what I'm talking about! Great idea :)

If we can get at least 20-30 people willing to contribute it should be front page. Who is willing to be a captain of sorts and set the time, make the first post etc? I would offer but I'm Australian time zone so probably best someone from Europe or North America.

If we can get at least 20-30 people willing to contribute it should be front page. Who is willing to be a captain of sorts and set the time, make the first post etc? I would offer but I'm Australian time zone so probably best someone from Europe or North America.

Lets do it. I'm the same though Aussie time zone. Whoever writes it it shouldnt come off to much of as an advert.

Well, for one, put it on a distribution platform that people will actually use and have in a library of games, instead of having the archaic method that they're currently using. Steam or GOG is a good place to start. The distribution method is as important as the advertising. OOTP has benefited immensely from the additional sales of having a platform of 9-10 million active users daily.

If you want to advertise, start on /r/SquaredCircle and start with a paid for promotion. It's not expensive to do so on that particular sub-reddit. Talk with the mods there, get an AMA going with Adam and you'll see more sales. There's enough fantasy bookers and kids on there that they'll pick it up. I spend a good deal of time on there, and Adam's EWR series already has a good reputation.

Well, for one, put it on a distribution platform that people will actually use and have in a library of games, instead of having the archaic method that they're currently using. Steam or GOG is a good place to start.

This is very true. The 97% rating on Steam is much more valuable than some handpicked reviews on the Greydogsoftware homepage.

the one thing I would say from a marketing standpoint is that /r/SQ will probably be more interested in real world experience. And without a real world mod at launch, will they remain interested by the time the mods come out?

Maybe a mention for the demo, another big mention for the release and then an additional deal when mods start rolling in.

Anyone that used to play Out of the Park or anything would understand ... some of the kids may not though ;)

Agreed but as ZMAN mentioned it could turn into a spammy type turn off fairly easily if not done correctly and do the game more harm then good. Reddit is definitely a great place to put the word out I just fear all of us posting on Squaredcirce will not go over well. Any ideas of how we can make TEW known there in a good way?

Togg mentioned a hashtag that will trend if we all tweet at the same time. Maybe we can organise that for release day.... I know a lot of us will be online at the same time waiting for the demo.

The hashtag, undoubtedly to use would be #TEW16. I use similar on my personal account when I was posting about the older/current game (TEW13).

There's two separate issues/discussion going on here. First is a collaborative, 'fan effort' to advertise the game. The other issue is, GDS' own advertising. I know full well that there are certain issues and barriers towards advertising a game like this, especially one that will appeal to the masses (ie. usually those who use real world mods and want the accuracy that is portrayed). GDS can't be seen to advertise screenshots or anything of the game that is showing WWE, or things of that nature for legal reasons. So, when it comes to advertising this game - I'm sure many have their opinions - the options are quite limited.

I know many of these forums love the C-Verse, T-Verse, etc., but for new gamers this is more likely not their cup of tea.

There should be a collaborative effort organised. I know I might be considered a relative newbie here on these forums, but I'm more than willing to contribute (and I do have some great ideas for collaboration at large). I actually feel the best way to do this to get everybody involved, this includes EWBattleground, and the Youtubers, Twitch streamers to form a mini-social network of sorts where the "advertising" (word of mouth) is concentrated and impactful, The strategy therefore is thus:

- Experts with social media reach on digital channels (using the #TEW16)

- Followers retweet

- Speak to your friends who watch wrestling or go to wrestling, and get them playing TEW too.

A heck of a lot of TEW content is, unfortunately confined to within these boards but I do see little bits here and there on other sites, and Twitter. Branching out the communication, and linking users to GDS can do the world of good.

As for the r/TotalExtremeWrestling/ reddit, I'd like to see users posting on there as well as r/FantasyBookers. For the r/sc/ reddit, I think a single thread for TEW won't be too much of an issue. I get what you're saying Genadi about all of us posting might not go down so well, but a single thread to start with is most probably fine. With frequent updates on there, it would stay in the 'Hot' section, and it should over time draw in users.

If anybody wants to chat with me about some of the ideas I have about collaboration, then please do get in touch. I feel as though sometimes there are a lot of conflicting rather than complimentary interests, something I know Genadi's mission statement is all about. The spirit is not just about modding but about the community, and I really think there is great potential to do more things, stepping outside of GDS and working together (in turn bringing more users here :)).

the one thing I would say from a marketing standpoint is that /r/SQ will probably be more interested in real world experience. And without a real world mod at launch, will they remain interested by the time the mods come out?

At the launch of TEW13 I created a few mod hype threads in large reason because of that. It was clear a lot of people were getting antsy, especially some new folks who were expecting RW data. It also gave some updates so people could have timeframes etc but it was a good way to show members.... the mods are coming, we're working our butts off.

I have booked a week off work for the launch of '16. My life will consist of wrestling archives, 240p youtube matches and coffee. For the community and love of the game. Hopefully during that time as many people as possible try C-Verse. It's still a wrestling game with C-Verse, best way to get an understanding of the game. I do understand from a marketing point that can be tricky though.

There should be a collaborative effort organised. I know I might be considered a relative newbie here on these forums...

New, old, it doesn't matter :)

As for the r/TotalExtremeWrestling/ reddit, I'd like to see users posting on there as well as r/FantasyBookers. For the r/sc/ reddit, I think a single thread for TEW won't be too much of an issue. I get what you're saying Genadi about all of us posting might not go down so well, but a single thread to start with is most probably fine. With frequent updates on there, it would stay in the 'Hot' section, and it should over time draw in users.

Good call, one thread I agree with all of us posting in it will be best.

I have about collaboration, then please do get in touch. I feel as though sometimes there are a lot of conflicting rather than complimentary interests, something I know Genadi's mission statement is all about. The spirit is not just about modding but about the community, and I really think there is great potential to do more things, stepping outside of GDS and working together (in turn bringing more users here :)).

Preach it brother :)

For reddit, if we collaborate, our best bet might be to fake or plant reactions.

Bob makes the initial post with something over simified but eye catching like "TIL theres a video game that lets you play as Vince and run wwe" and we swoop in and plant reactions to educate people on the game.

For example, our first plant is like "wow so its like ewr?" and someone tells him the story linking ewr and tew.

Our plant then brings up the price with "why would i pay 34 when i can play ewr for free?" And our other guy explains all the features and hits hard on the modding community. Cause honestly, at this point, the modding is the biggest selling point of the game IMO, in fact i think it carved the path for a lot of the new features were getting in 16. Plus people on reddit like communities, obviously.

Or like someone else said, an AMA with Adam would help. Hell, he might even be able to broaden it a littl bit and do an AMA as an... Indy simulator/game software developer? Haha. Sorry if i butchered that. I don't know what title he prefers but I imagine that his profession might garner some attention from more than wrestling fans. Theres a pretty big gaming and coding community on there. Youd hit 3 groups instead of 1.

Plants is a bad idea.

Terrible. Planting responses/reviews and putting a thread where everyone talks about it is just gonna result in people getting banned, chatter about the game getting banned, the thread deleted immediately - etc.

Just talk to the mods of /r/squaredcircle. They're incredibly receptive to stuff like that, especially if they played any of Adam's games.

Archived