C-Verse: New Game Must Hires

The usual crop of guys I used to sign are mostly gone. At this point it's just Greg Gauge and Roger Cage. There's of course the new crop of Canadian talent thanks to CGC's massive drop off with the two standouts to me being Ricky DeColt and Gargantuan. Ricky is kinda iffy because he's my least favorite, but I don't want USPro to sign him, that's for sure. They also have a great ref up there.

Marat Khoklov for either of the "big three" or at least for TCW and USPW. Seems impossible to win a national battle without him.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right. On the other hand, I HATED trying to book him with SWF in 2013, and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that he was off the roster this year.

I'll probably shortlist him and keep an eye on any interest from TCW/USPW... And maybe sign him up later down the line if I need a star badly.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right. On the other hand, I HATED trying to book him with SWF in 2013, and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that he was off the roster this year.

I'll probably shortlist him and keep an eye on any interest from TCW/USPW... And maybe sign him up later down the line if I need a star badly.

Yeah, as SWF, you just have to make sure that none of your rivals hire him. If you're playing USPW, though, it's a crucial hire unless you don't mind dropping to Cult after the first month.

Booking giants (or big/super heavyweights ftm) is always hard, I struggle with that as well. But I think he fits nicely into the land of the giants that is USPW, so it' not just a gamey way of winning the national battles, but it makes sense for him to go to USPW, too.

I brought in Marat Khoklov as part of a big feud between Eric Eisen/The Crippler/The Pain Alliance and Jack Bruce/Valiant. He seemed a natural fit to be the guy who eventually gets to lose to Valiant to cement him as the next figurehead.

Other than that, Marv Statler & Dean Waldorf are probably going to be instant hires wherever I go, with Eric Tyler as their manager.

Other than that, Marv Statler & Dean Waldorf are probably going to be instant hires wherever I go, with Eric Tyler as their manager.

Hired the Ring Generals, Tyler, and Ernest Youngman to form a stable countless times in 2013....will likely use them as a group again this time around.

I can't believe that El Mitico Jr. is still a free agent. His performance skills are great, and he has world class stamina and resilience. He's also just 24 years old.

Fro Sure and El Mitico Jr. are definitely going to be signed immediately. I think I will re-create my El Mitico Jr & Mr. Lucha III tag team that I had going in TEW 2013.

I think a long-term series between Statler & Waldorf vs Mitico Jr/Mr. Lucha III can be great.

Big bold letters if you're one of the big three American companies - Ross Henry. Debuts in February, starts out with 72 popularity in the US, probably turns into a monster with the right destiny roll as his physical/entertainment/camera skills are all very good

Yes, but he's extremely conservative, which means SWF won't be able to sign him unless they lower their risque level.

Big bold letters if you're one of the big three American companies - Ross Henry. Debuts in February, starts out with 72 popularity in the US, probably turns into a monster with the right destiny roll as his physical/entertainment/camera skills are all very good

Haven't got the game available right now, what's his backstory?

Haven't got the game available right now, what's his backstory?

Straight from the game:

Ross Henry is famously a former member of the two-time championship winning Colorado Rapids football team, having won the title in 2011 and 2012. He retired from football in 2014 after botched elbow surgery forced him out of the game. A self-professed life-long wrestling fan, he began training for a professional career later that same year and showed a natural affinity for it. By his own admission his wrestling career is purely for fun as he is already a multi-millionaire.

Not saying Henry's not a good hire, but he's definitely a bit of a project, mostly because of his abysmal psych (and selling). He's got a lot of good qualities, but between that and his mediocre top line, he's not going to be real main event material for a while. That's fine for SWF/USPW, because they don't need in-ring greatness from him, and because he defaults into the upper midcard on both rosters. But by TCW standards he's a main eventer, and probably the weakest guy in the upper reaches of their roster (he maybe edges out American Buffalo.) Easier to book than Khoklov, probably, and you could build up his psych... but still.

One guy who I'd say has stepped into top-tier indy territory is Rudy Velasquez, who now compares favorably to DWN. Cali Slick also looks much-improved. And of course there are the CGC guys now on PPAs -- and a lot of the OLLIE guys, and a few ex-MPWF guys. (I'm thinking Chess Maniac in particular.)

If you're looking for veterans, Art Reed is available immediately again, and Bryan Holmes can also be hired. I haven't worked with Zeshin Makioka from WEXXV, but he looks much improved, and he works in North America. I don't remember why Shingen Miyazaki wasn't available in the US/Canada in '13, but he is now.

Oh, and of course Peter Michaels, if you're big enough to get him and you're not SWF.

Some good mentions here. Peter Michaels is a pretty good hire for TCW - much better announcer and a locker room leader. I'm guessing USPW will sign him up if TCW doesn't first. Both Holmes and Reed are locker room leaders.

Ross Henry is interesting. He definitely needs time in development, but not sure he would go with that starting popularity. he might be worth hiring as he's a very positive locker room influence, though his respect is pretty low at the start. He's probalby too conservative to join the SWF.

I can't believe that El Mitico Jr. is still a free agent. His performance skills are great, and he has world class stamina and resilience. He's also just 24 years old.

Agreed. A little annoyed Adam pretty much ignored him it seems. Not a single job in 2 hears. Lame

He looks perfect for my created Cult level company. I don't know what I will do with him exactly, because of his really low Psychology.

If I can sign him, I have a few ideas. I might bring him in as a Talk Show Host, while working pre-show matches. I think fairly quickly he will be attacked while hosting one of his shows and wanting retribution he will in storyline sign a wrestler contract, and thus begins his official in-ring career.

EDIT: He has great Basics and Physical skills, even good Safety. He has decent enough brawling with C. His only real downside is low psychology, and that can be carried and taught. He's also fairly young only being 26, that gives you about 4 years until he peaks, lots of time for him to improve.

"Must Hires" for me always tend to change depending on the company and product I'm running; as someone who primarily plays in the British Isles if I'm doing a "Ring of Fire reborn" type grappling heavy promotion then my first few hires are almost certainly going to be the Merle O'Curle, Don Henderson, Billy Robinson, Walter Morgan, Nigel Svenson fivesome (with British Samurai as a road agent). In contrast if I'm going for a high flying, all action fed then I may pick up one of those guys at best and instead it's going to be Stuntman/Simon Ice, Neville Jones, Stardust Phil Cox, Brilliant White etc etc.

That said, here are a few names from the British/European scene who I pretty much always have at least one look at:

Michael Gregory: Star quality in the 80's, decent starting charisma, mid-60's brawling. Yes, his performance skills need work but with the ability to play both heel and face well, this is a guy seemingly perfectly designed to be built into a figurehead for a smaller company.

Merle O'Curle: Excellent technical wrestler and ring general. 32 overness across the UK is a pretty solid starting point for any local, small or regional company. In a technical wrestling based promotion he's likely to be a fixture of your main event scene, in other types he may well take on the role of a (upper)mid card wrestling machine and tutor.

The Shooters: Take everything I said above and add in being a few years younger, having tons of tag experience and then throw in Billy Robinson's star quality and you have a pretty damn solid pairing. Excellent tag team champions right off the bat.

The Hurt: With Billy Robinson and Nigel Svenson both now being in SAISHO, they've been paired up as a promising young team. Svenson is a fine technical wrestler (although at 27 it's hard to keep calling him a prospect).

Konrad Makinen: There's a couple of guys who were previously Europe only who you may want to have a look at. The obvious one is Landon Mallory but unless you edit the game an AI 21CW is going to hire him approximately 6 seconds after the game starts. Makinen is a solid other option though. Top row stats are extremely solid for a 24 year old prospect, his performance skills need a little training (outside of his ridiculous starting selling), incredible athleticism, decent charisma and high star quality all make him someone well worth developing.

Greg Gauge/Hugh de Aske/Gram Gorman: I combine these three together because they all roughly offer the same thing. Damn good all round workers with Gauge offering better performance skills at the expense of Aske and Gorman's better high flying with Gauge and Aske also having good charisma. They can all do a bit of everything which means they can fit into pretty much any type of promotion you run. You have to fly them in and the fact they're available across the entire world means someone bigger will probably lock them down eventually... but you can get some damn good performances out of them in the mean time.

Rory Muckletruck/The Damned/Clubber Kohl/Meathead McAullie/Hercules Johansen/Anders Thunder: With Beast Bantom getting locked down with a written contract for 21CW the go to option for someone looking for a high menace worker with both solid in-ring stats and potential to get even better is off the table, leaving these other options behind. As a general rule most of these guys are between horrible and average in the ring, some have out of the ring issues that hurt and all will need some development time, especially in a company that puts any weight at all on ring work. But high menace = high angle ratings = high overness and that's rarely a bad thing.

Melanie Florence: Her skills aren't as ridiculously good as they were in 2013, with them having between 5 and 10 points knocked off... but that still leaves her with microphone 80, charisma 75, acting 68 and colour 82... hardly a terrible stat line. She's the go-to colour commentator who can also work as a manager training up charisma and microphone for others.

These are all guys I don't think have been talked about yet

For me Ernest Youngman, Remmy Sky, Fox Mask, Acid II, George Wolfe, Gino Montero, La Estrella, Razan Okamoto, Xavi Ferrera,

Remmy Sky and Fox Mask, while getting old, are other than the actual Ring Generals, will be your in ring general tag team

George Wolfe and La Estrella while not as amazing as the others to start out I have always seen them as guys who have lots of potential (in and out of game)

The rest are just really good to great workers to start with and can with in ring ability, carry companies

Guest DutchMagpie

Yes, I hired him for SWF and I have good expectations of him.

Archived