Match Aims: Story

Can somebody please help me with this?

I get that there doesn't have to be a storyline involved to use this aim, but if there is a storyline involved in a match, does it need this aim? If my product requires a "story" match per show, do I have to use this aim or can I use a match with a different aim between people who are in a storyline?

I don't know, I read and re-read the description, but my brain isn't getting it.

<p>You just have to use the aim once per show when you're setting up the match. From what I've seen, there isn't any benefit to having a storyline and picking this aim. </p><p> </p><p>

As for what the "story" match means, from the description I would consider it to be a match where the in ring action is secondary to some other issue that is the reason for the match. Examples could be any Undertaker streak match (though those might be better described as epic) or possibly Cena vs. Lesnar at Summerslam (Not a great match, but told a story of a dominant beast taking over). Someone else might be better at explaining this though.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Justin" data-cite="Justin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can somebody please help me with this?<p> </p><p> I get that there doesn't have to be a storyline involved to use this aim, but if there is a storyline involved in a match, does it need this aim? If my product requires a "story" match per show, do I have to use this aim or can I use a match with a different aim between people who are in a storyline?</p><p> </p><p> I don't know, I read and re-read the description, but my brain isn't getting it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Best way I know how to describe it is the "Soap Opera" aspect of Mainstream companies. It's basically meant be the focal point of what's going on during the match instead of the actual match itself. As it says in the description, Say someone is on a losing streak. That is what everyone is directing the focus toward. That is what the announcers are going to be discussing. I simply look at it as wanting you to be more concerned with the Story they are trying to tell over the actual action in the ring, which is only there to add emphasis to said story.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Justin" data-cite="Justin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It just blows my mind because I was of the opinion that the whole point of <em>every</em> match was to tell a story in the ring.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They tell various stories, but using the specific aim signifies that the story will be about something <em>outside</em> of just what moves are being done or why. Say you have someone on commentary that one of the wrestlers keeps looking to during the match, that would probably justify the note. It would mean the focus is on the story between those two and the actual match is second to that story. Using the match as a means to an ends, generally most short matches where someone else gets involved will probably have this note.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>They tell various stories, but using the specific aim signifies that the story will be about something <em>outside</em> of just what moves are being done or why. Say you have someone on commentary that one of the wrestlers keeps looking to during the match, that would probably justify the note. It would mean the focus is on the story between those two and the actual match is second to that story. Using the match as a means to an ends, generally most short matches where someone else gets involved will probably have this note.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> On top of this, say you have a storyline running between Worker A and Worker B. You do a match between Worker A and Worker C. Using the storytelling note mean the focus is going to be on the Storyline between A and B and not the match between A and C.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bull" data-cite="Bull" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>On top of this, say you have a storyline running between Worker A and Worker B. You do a match between Worker A and Worker C. Using the storytelling note mean the focus is going to be on the Storyline between A and B and not the match between A and C.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Especially if Worker B is doing guest commentary. They would be talking about Worker A's rivalry with B, while C takes backseat, even though he's in a match.</p><p> </p><p> Or it could be about a worker's losing streak, a worker's winning streak, if he's feuding with the authority figure the commentators could be talking about how the match is punishment, etc.</p>

<p>Maybe the better way to describe this would be the story being told with this road agent note isn't the kind of story that is often directly told between the people competing in the match (who's better, can the underdog win, etc).</p><p> </p><p>

One potential example that comes to mind is the Summerslam 2000 main event of The Rock vs Angle vs HHH. Angle and HHH were in a feud as part of their love triangle storyline, so they hated each other, but The Rock was champion and he was just trying to escape with the belt while avoiding being caught in the crossfire of the other two.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="vampmon" data-cite="vampmon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Soooo... This note would apply to the entire Matt Hardy/Lita/Edge incident turn storyline?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't believe so. I think that incident would be a storyline.</p><p> </p><p> Personally I think that the "Story Telling" note would work better if it meant the match had to contain two workers from the same Storyline, both with Major roles. Otherwise I really don't see the point of it as you can just arbitrarily assign the note to any match. That's how I book it anyway.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bull" data-cite="Bull" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>On top of this, say you have a storyline running between Worker A and Worker B. You do a match between Worker A and Worker C. Using the storytelling note mean the focus is going to be on the Storyline between A and B and not the match between A and C.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This makes some sense, yeah.</p>

<p>The way I've approached it is that if your aim is story-telling then you're deliberately foregrounding narrative over action. For example, let's say you've got Jimmy Cox in a match, who's got this whole thing about the Immortal Driver; with story-telling as your aim, the entire match is designed to tell a story about the Immortal Driver, how people are scared of it and try to avoid it, instead of just telling a free-flowing story about the action.</p><p> </p><p>

Essentially I treat it as any match where the emphasis is on telling a story that would impact the action in the match, rather than where the story arises out of the action.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bad Collin" data-cite="Bad Collin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41517" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So what affect does this aim have on match grades and what kind of workers use this best?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've noticed workers tend to get the hold back note in the dirt sheet report, so it lowers the match grade slightly. I don't really think it matters who's in a match with a storytelling aim since the match isn't the focus after all. </p><p> </p><p> If anything I feel like less skilled workers would be about the only ones who might benefit from it as you are deliberately focusing on something other than the In-Ring Action. That is obviously not a known fact so don't quote me lol.</p>

Generally, for good storytelling matches you want guys with high performance stats (especially psychology) and charisma, but not so great top row stats.

Having good top row stats doesn't mean they'll be bad at storytelling matches obviously, but they'd probably be better off with a different match aim unless the match is designed for crowd management.

For instance, Bryan Vessey. Great performance stats, but he can easily handle going all out, so there's no real point in making him focus on the story (unless he's in the ring with someone less gifted), except if you're deliberately trying to temper the crowd before an even better main event.

With TCW in particular, I usually end up with two main event quality matches on most PPVs. They obviously can't both steal the show, so the match that I think is less capable of that ends up a story telling match, just to make sure the fans don't get burned out or the main event doesn't get overshadowed.

In TV shows, story telling duty is usually given to guys like Bart Biggins or Dave Diamond.

Johnny Martin is the quintessential storyteller. He's... y'know, bad. But he can tell a story. So he's still useful.

I've noticed workers tend to get the hold back note in the dirt sheet report

This is only for TV shows. You don't get that note on events. Was the same in TEW13. Makes perfect sense in that workers aren't going to give their all for a simple TV match.

This is only for TV shows. You don't get that note on events. Was the same in TEW13. Makes perfect sense in that workers aren't going to give their all for a simple TV match.

I've never really noticed it in any match other than the ones I've set as Storytelling in this game. Very possible I've just been overlooking it however. .

I like it in that it makes me book a lot more thoroughly whereas a 2 hour show for me on TEW13 would almost certainly have at least one match that had absolutely no reason to be on the card other than the fact it was two/four decent workers otherwise doing nothing. Those meaningless matches can now be exclusive to my pre/post-show. Mainstream TV how it should be :)

Yeah, I look at Story Telling as promoting a future match down the line. So if Wrestler A and Wrestler B are feuding, and each of them is facing an opponent as a tune-up match ahead of the PPV, those would be Story Telling matches.

That's not true- I'm running NYCW and I'm getting the note at all my events for story-telling matches. I don't have a TV show.

Unless I'm totally off on what the note means, I'm not sure I understand why so many examples are from PPV main events. I would consider a "story" match to be when a TV match and its associated commentary are primarily focused on a storyline, not the in-ring work. If DDP comes out to wrestle Roadblock, the story of the match is DDP and the NWO, not "can DDP defeat this big fat guy?"

Archived