TEW2020 Discussion Thread

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Koholos" data-cite="Koholos" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sorry, I don’t know if someone else already posted these, but I have a few things I’d love to see for 2020, hopefully in order from easiest to hardest.<p> </p><p> First is the ability to make 3 man teams in the team menu, rather than simply ad hoc- both for the Lucha leagues, and for people who want to use the “Freebird Rule”.</p><p> </p><p> Second, I’d love to be able to customize what stops a Partial Skip for things that require my attention. Even better, the ability to customize what gets sent to my inbox completely (like Football Manager).</p><p> </p><p> Third, I’d love it if quick-roster had those stock market arrows (green up/red down) so we can tell at a glance who gained and lost popularity after each show.</p><p> </p><p> And lastly, I’d love if there was a way to ask a smaller company to become your Child Company. Perhaps if “Parent Company” worked so that if Company A asked Company B and A was smaller, it worked as it does now. But if A was larger, it would ask them to be your Child. Or just an additional option.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Those are some really good suggestions, I recommend putting them in the TEW 2016 Suggestion forum as that is where Adam checks.</p>

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I hope there's more of a business aspect to this game. Not only should a player have to manage his storylines and wrestlers, but also his business.Like an advertising budget per month, or ticket prices. Ticket prices doesn't haven't to be overly complicated, small venues can have 2 decisions, front row and not front row. Maybe medium size buildings have 3 sections and large buildings have 4 sections. </p><p> </p><p>

For the advertising, it could be divided into 2 sections, national and local. Local has an impact on attendance and national has an impact on ratings and ppv buys. </p><p> </p><p>

It would add another layer to an already great game. Right now anybody can take a local promotion and turn it national. But if you had to actually manage your money, could you survive?</p><p> </p><p>

I want to find out.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="UEWpro" data-cite="UEWpro" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I hope there's more of a business aspect to this game. Not only should a player have to manage his storylines and wrestlers, but also his business.Like an advertising budget per month, or ticket prices. Ticket prices doesn't haven't to be overly complicated, small venues can have 2 decisions, front row and not front row. Maybe medium size buildings have 3 sections and large buildings have 4 sections. <p> </p><p> For the advertising, it could be divided into 2 sections, national and local. Local has an impact on attendance and national has an impact on ratings and ppv buys. </p><p> </p><p> It would add another layer to an already great game. Right now anybody can take a local promotion and turn it national. But if you had to actually manage your money, could you survive?</p><p> </p><p> I want to find out.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'll be honest - this level of micromanagement would be a huge turn-off for me. I want the game to be about booking and running the shows and managing the talent, not about the financial ins-and-outs of arena booking and advertising.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="batsnumbereleven" data-cite="batsnumbereleven" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'll be honest - this level of micromanagement would be a huge turn-off for me. I want the game to be about booking and running the shows and managing the talent, not about the financial ins-and-outs of arena booking and advertising.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Would it be feasible to have both levels? The ability to 'turnoff' having to manage these things? Or make it the difference between playing as a booker and playing as an owner? I like the idea of being able to micromanage, but I also know that at some points I would probably be overwhelmed.</p>

I like the idea about the advertising considering WMMA have this feature and it’s far from being micromanaging. I feel like ticket pricing would be a little micromanaging unless Adam makes it really simple. Although I would love the ability to give out free tickets (or cheap tickets) to attract some new fans or try to fill the house.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Would it be feasible to have both levels? The ability to 'turnoff' having to manage these things? Or make it the difference between playing as a booker and playing as an owner? I like the idea of being able to micromanage, but I also know that at some points I would probably be overwhelmed.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It needs to. I'm beyond bored with TEW financials. Its a screen you barely have any control over whatsoever. You can't tell me that Eric Bischoff didn't book shows and control all aspects of marketing and financials in WCW.</p><p> </p><p> The game needs to allow "head booker", "owner", and "executive". Players that won't want the control can turn it off and use the old system. Those that one to run EVERYTHING to do with a wrestling company can do it this way.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> Is there ever going to be a return of "match hype" like in the 2005 Edition as I felt that made angles really important.<p> </p><p> If not, is there a reason this feature isn't in as I feel it's the one thing lacking from TEW. You can get a good rating just by putting the best card on rather than giving fans a reason to see the match, which doesn't really reflect real life, bar a certain few examples.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BrokenCycle" data-cite="BrokenCycle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The reason why it was taken out of the game was because it was implied that these cards are promoted anyway, and it would make the game more streamlined if you didn't have to it yourself.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> While I understand its more streamlined this is something I always felt was an unrealistic / restrictive way of doing things.</p><p> </p><p> It implies that the tickets sales / TV ratings are solely determined by what’s booked and what happens on the card. </p><p> </p><p> In reality an attendance / buy rate / TV rating will be affected positively or negatively to a degree by what’s been advertised for the show and not just what’s actually on the show. </p><p> </p><p> Not everything advertised actually happens especially in wrestling where the bait and switch is fairly common thing (John Cena being advertised for the Rumble when he was never going to be in it / Austin being advertised for the Austin v Rock v Triple H match at Survivor Series 99 etc.)</p><p> </p><p> Pre advertising wrestlers and matches is a big part of what a booker do. Do it well there should be positives, do it poorly there should be negatives. Abuse it too often in the examples above and there should be repercussions.</p><p> </p><p> As an example - If a promotion has a run of poor ratings and lays out and hypes a big match for the TV show a few weeks in advance which they build up as something special this would generally be considered good booking as it would maximise the opportunity to draw a higher rating and depending on how far in advance tickets sales for the event. If they just out of nowhere book a really big match with no hype or set up this would be considered wasteful booking as it can result in the loss of a potential higher rating and loss of additional ticket sales.</p><p> </p><p> In TEW the result you get would be exactly the same regardless of where you announced 2 weeks before or halfway through the show so it removes the incentive to book well in that way.</p><p> </p><p> If you read some of the amazing diaries in the Dynasty section the people who right them do a great job of building up there shows and matches and really build the anticipation of their readers. Many of these diaries will involve stories or matches that involve a mystery tag partner or mystery opponent or masked man reveal. These are built up to fever pitch and the anticipation they generate leads to loads of predications and conversation about who the reveal could be. Sometimes these reveals are positive and sometimes they are a let-down but regardless the anticipation of the reveal is still one of the main drivers of the show.</p><p> </p><p> In game TEW assumes that you have pre advertised everyone that appears so you cannot duplicate that anticipation or the positive or negative reaction that can come from it. </p><p> </p><p> Someone in one of these discussions about this issue once said in relation to the way it works now in TEW 2016 why would you not want to advertise everyone and every match on your show in advance. Apart from the examples above, Last night’s Royal Rumble is a perfect example where not advertising everyone who will be on a show is not necessarily beneficial to a promotion.</p><p> </p><p> Part of the royal rumbles appeal is the surprise entrants. In the game it is implied you will have advertised everyone on the show which would include the 30 men and 30 women who are in the rumble however in reality that surprise element is a big part of what make the Royal Rumble PPV unique. If we knew exactly who was or who wasn’t going to be in it the Rumble would not be as exciting or as big a draw as it is.</p><p> </p><p> This is one of these things that always divides opinions every time it comes up so I wonder if maybe it could be one of those things that’s included but made optional so you can turn it on or off in the settings so as to cater for everybody.</p>

<p>I agree that the financial model needs a rework. The difficulty is the masssive differance between small local shows and major indies or wwe. A low card dude on a local show may gross $20 as a payoff whereas the top wwe guys can gross 10,000,000 once you factor merchandise sales.</p><p> </p><p>

Otoh I have no interest whatsoever in setting ticket prices or managing marketing. I deal with that in real life and would be actively turned off if it was included unless it was an easter egg hidden so deep it needed a cheat code to be activated as a feature... My $0.02</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ColossusPT" data-cite="ColossusPT" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The whole economic system needs an overhaul. There is no way that a small company would be running a show a month and having like 20k in losses.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Worker wages are the biggest problem with the current system</p><p> </p><p> Downsides are just not a thing when a company is running once a month maximum. It fundamentally makes no sense</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Worker wages are the biggest problem with the current system<p> </p><p> Downsides are just not a thing when a company is running once a month maximum. It fundamentally makes no sense</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I definitely agree. Downsides seem to come in with companies hit regional, which tells me that in the game logic once you hit regional you're supposed to run more than one show a month and the downside protects guys who are left off shows -- but I agree that the economic system could use some improvement.</p><p> </p><p> I see most people always ask for wages to be lowered, but then to me that means overall money needs to be lowered -- because there isn't a "small" promotion running monthly that has 500,000 in the bank. The money across the board is inflated so it evens out.</p>

<p>When starting a new company it would be interesting to choose the level of sponsorship to in turn set the size and finances</p><p> </p><p>

Personal wealth - dictated by character </p><p>

Local business or person - local/small</p><p>

National or regional TV producer - regional</p><p>

International TV or business - regional/cult</p><p>

Etc</p><p> </p><p>

Wages do need to be massively changed, ideally local and even small should be paying almost nothing to workers.</p><p> </p><p>

There should be no cap on how much can be paid to workers, some are just too expensive and too many wont pay out regardless of how big the company.</p><p> </p><p>

Being able to offer a fixed % of the gate instead of a salary would be nice too</p><p> </p><p>

Option to buy out contracts </p><p> </p><p>

Wage ask should also factor in economy and wrestling industry at the time, in a depression economy with poor wrestling popularity salaries will drop, and so forth</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Worker wages are the biggest problem with the current system<p> </p><p> Downsides are just not a thing when a company is running once a month maximum. It fundamentally makes no sense</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Its also not a thing for workers who aren't exclusive to one promotionl. Those kind of downsides only started in the mid 80s for promotions like Jim Crockett and even then that was because the gate determined the payoffs (based on supposed formulas known only by the booker or promoter) and if the sum of your payoffs were lower than your guarantee you got a ballon payment for the differance. The same was true in 90s WWE.</p><p> </p><p> I'm not even certain ECW offered downside guarantees. ROH? TNA talent in the heyday were either on written guarantees or straight up PPAs...</p><p> </p><p> I think downsides should be exclusively for exclusive PPA deals at cult level frankly. *Maybe* regional.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="smw88" data-cite="smw88" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When starting a new company it would be interesting to choose the level of sponsorship to in turn set the size and finances<p> </p><p> Personal wealth - dictated by character </p><p> Local business or person - local/small</p><p> National or regional TV producer - regional</p><p> International TV or business - regional/cult</p><p> Etc</p><p> </p><p> Wages do need to be massively changed, ideally local and even small should be paying almost nothing to workers.</p><p> </p><p> There should be no cap on how much can be paid to workers, some are just too expensive and too many wont pay out regardless of how big the company.</p><p> </p><p> Being able to offer a fixed % of the gate instead of a salary would be nice too</p><p> </p><p> Option to buy out contracts </p><p> </p><p> Wage ask should also factor in economy and wrestling industry at the time, in a depression economy with poor wrestling popularity salaries will drop, and so forth</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> To be fair, the option to buy out contracts happens when you release a written contract worker, you have to pay out everything you owe them unless you fire them from a disciplinary event.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I think the wages are basically moved to the middle because national+ companies are paying way too little for top talent. In my game, my top guy with 100 pop across the nation is making 71k a month, that's less than one million a year. Granted, I don't use too many event bonuses but it's pretty easy to run a company and never pay a guy seven figures while WWE is paying quite a few guys much more than that.</p>

hat im most encouraged by so far is that Adam seems to be drawing from various REAL WORLD examples for what to simulate transpiring in TEW. This is the key and this is what made EWR such a great game in its time. I feel like the TEW Series has gotten so far away from that and into its own verse that it made it unrealistic and impossible to simulate the modern day wrestling world. As if the series was stuck in some 1970's-1980's wrestling time warp. It simulates that territory era rather well, but its never replicated the Monday Night Wars era as well, and it hasn't even come close to replicating modern wrestling, as complicated as it is. I feel like some of these last few entries have been steps in the right direction. Although I do remember a journal entry past talking about fijnally being able to accurately simulate the Monday Night Ratings War, with TV ratings mattering, and that just isn't the case.

A great new feature today and one that will make each and every single game world individual. I'm particularly looking forward to see how it's fleshed out as right now it seems like you're mostly asking questions but Adam does also mention the possibility of "comments", so maybe we can praise or scold workers more often. I am wondering about a few things, however:

1.) Is "influence" going to be variable? Like, is it something a modification worker can set themselves or does it take employment, past employment, popularity etcetera into account?

2.) I hope it goes without saying but as it wasn't mentioned, I presume workers responses will be dependent on personality at times?

3.) Will there be any negative responses if we ask certain questions? For example, if I ask a guy to lose weight will he get angry at me thinking he's overweight? Or, if a guy isn't a KNOWN drug user but we ask them to stop using drugs, will they react negatively and deny the allegations? Similarly, will people react negatively if you ask them the same question too many times as there is no limit?

4.) This goes back to my first question, but say our user character is a former worker of the biggest promotion on the planet and he just happens to own a local promotion in the middle of nowhere now, will he still have "influence" or would it be disregarded because he no longer works for them?

5.) Will the AI be able to ask the same questions? Say you're playing a real world modification and you're playing as WCW going up against WWE, will the 'E try to talk workers from Britain into coming to live across the pond too or will this only benefit the player?

By the way, I'm sorry if answers to any of these questions have been answered by the features role in WMMA; I don't/have never played the WMMA series, so I don't know how it works unfortunately.

Today’s feature is certainly a massive step forward. It will be interesting how to see how they go with it. Would be hopeful you can speak to someone on personal terms eg your relationship with them, persuade them to do certain things (losing to workers) their out of the ring antics, Give promises etc

There’s so many situations in game where you think in real life the owner would speak to the worker, or potential worker.

Regardless of how they do implement it, it will be a big change

A great new feature today and one that will make each and every single game world individual. I'm particularly looking forward to see how it's fleshed out as right now it seems like you're mostly asking questions but Adam does also mention the possibility of "comments", so maybe we can praise or scold workers more often. I am wondering about a few things, however:

1.) Is "influence" going to be variable? Like, is it something a modification worker can set themselves or does it take employment, past employment, popularity etcetera into account?

2.) I hope it goes without saying but as it wasn't mentioned, I presume workers responses will be dependent on personality at times?

3.) Will there be any negative responses if we ask certain questions? For example, if I ask a guy to lose weight will he get angry at me thinking he's overweight? Or, if a guy isn't a KNOWN drug user but we ask them to stop using drugs, will they react negatively and deny the allegations? Similarly, will people react negatively if you ask them the same question too many times as there is no limit?

4.) This goes back to my first question, but say our user character is a former worker of the biggest promotion on the planet and he just happens to own a local promotion in the middle of nowhere now, will he still have "influence" or would it be disregarded because he no longer works for them?

5.) Will the AI be able to ask the same questions? Say you're playing a real world modification and you're playing as WCW going up against WWE, will the 'E try to talk workers from Britain into coming to live across the pond too or will this only benefit the player?

By the way, I'm sorry if answers to any of these questions have been answered by the features role in WMMA; I don't/have never played the WMMA series, so I don't know how it works unfortunately.

Reading your questions I’d like to add another.

If you’re Vince McMahon in WWE since it was clearly the biggest company in the world, do you have influence over everyone? But will the really awkward workers still be a pain?

If your say Vince in the early/mid 90’s will you have a lot of influence but people still be aware there’s still another big company to work for?

If you’re bischoff in wcw will the bigger workers not have a lot of respect knowing they have more influence in the company, bischoff could get sacked or they could move?

It could certainly make wwf/wcw mods a lot more interesting, hopefully leading to situations where people such as the warriors situation in the 90’s and the possibility of him only coming back to wwf if you offer him a ridiculous contract.

It's created contextually. At the moment it's just a measure of where your company / employer sits in terms of the global power scheme, but more factors will probably get added when it goes into testing. It won't be something the user can directly modify though.

Yes, the answers are contextual and take into account personality, employment, situation, age, etc, etc.

At the moment, no, you cannot end up with a negative relationship or get morale hits from asking "the wrong" question, and there's no limit to asking anything. It might be something that gets added depending on how testing goes.

I think my first answer covered this, but for clarity I'll confirm that currently you would lose your influence if you quit and moved to a very small company as you no longer have anything significant to offer workers.

That depends. Other companies can't talk to workers in the same way as players, but most of the same effects are open to them in different ways - in this example, if they're big enough then they might go for foreign workers and they'd naturally become available in the US once they debut.

Glad to read today's announcement, as the feature to "move/become available in my company's area" was a blessing in WMMA5. I tend to play Cult or smaller promotions, so I've never had the pull of an International or Global company that's able to recruit people regardless of availability.

Lifestyle reforms are another useful addition (that's coming from a guy who likes booking GSW) and so is the body shape change instead of requesting weight changes and hoping for the best.

My greatest thumbs up though has to go to the "consider retirement plans" option, especially if we're able to push workers towards retirement. Sometimes ageing workers are useful for stuff like being mentors and/or locker room leaders, but can be a drag to use in the ring, especially in performance-oriented promotions (BCG being my prime example). Being able to give them a nudge towards switching to a backstage role would indeed be amazing.

Loved today's entry, all we need now is the "will you put over worker X" question. Love it.

And I hope we have the "I'll go into a program with this guy to get him over" kind of thing too

Indeed. And I'd like to see some of the old pre-Grey Dog TEW talk stuff like "Who would you wish to work with given the chance?" Despite a comparatively limited talk system, things like that made TEW04 feel really alive and gave me a lot of ideas when I was stuck back in the day.