The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

3 hours ago, Wrestling Machine said:

Hook really kicked out at 1 after a Muscle Buster and immediately got back up, lol I can't

__LeuBiQbXaN-1nNg0JRyK46yh_iWZmGyOecFzaX

And? The crowd popped huge. I always thought the goal of storytelling during thr match was to pop the crowd. The match elevated Hook and showed the brutality Joe was willing to inflict to keep his belt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hailthebulldog said:

And? The crowd popped huge. I always thought the goal of storytelling during thr match was to pop the crowd. The match elevated Hook and showed the brutality Joe was willing to inflict to keep his belt.

Doesn't seem HUGE to me. It was definitely a pop, but cheap pop it's not always the goal imo, or I guess next time they can have Hook walking out, drop his pants and take one in the middle the ring ... That will make crowd buzzing too!

And jeez is enough to kick out at 1 (!!!) from a devastating finisher from your WORLD CHAMP to be elevated? To me it simply goes to detract from the finisher itself: how can the best shot / one of the best shots of a 120+ kg world champ not be enough to keep midcarders of maybe 90 kg shoulders to the ground? It's ridiculous, it's wack, and it took all credibility away from the Muscle Buster itself. I can understand a The Undertaker kicking out at one from an F-5, a Pedigree, an RKO, etc. but my goodness he's Hook! Hook! It seems sooo fake. 

It seems like every damn match has to have min 2-3 crazy kick-outs, has to have the competitors at about the same level, and EVERY wrestler has to withstand at least one finisher from the opponent. No storytelling, no selling, it is enough to have a late two-count on a pinfall to be considered good talent.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Hook has always been presented as a big deal. He's always been presented as a killer. Kicking out did elevate Hook and it wasn't a "cheap pop" because they built towards it and paid it off with Joe having to choke Hook out. Hook also refusing to tap out further established his toughness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hailthebulldog said:

The goal of storytelling is to get people to watch week after week, for ticket sales and TV ratings. Getting the crowd to pop is just one piece of the puzzle. 

I like Hook, and if they follow up this and give him a sustained push, great. Kicking out at one and passing out in a submission are great spots, but it feels like everyone does them, sometimes multiple times per show. So while it's cool in the moment as you're watching, it doesn't really create anything new. No new feeling. No new star. 

But I like Hook. He's a fresh guy you can do something with, and I hope they do.

Edited by Self
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, hailthebulldog said:

Hook has always been presented as a big deal. He's always been presented as a killer. Kicking out did elevate Hook and it wasn't a "cheap pop" because they built towards it and paid it off with Joe having to choke Hook out. Hook also refusing to tap out further established his toughness.

Maybe barely raising the shoulder after 2, Joe with a crazy look of disbelief on his face, then straight to the choke would have done more for Hook (while protecting the world champ’s finisher). Unless the plan is for Hoe to be a transitional guy and we don’t care to protect his finisher. Fine with that too.

What came of the Undisputed Kingdom? Are they raising hell? Asserting their dominance?

1 hour ago, CQI13 said:

Maybe barely raising the shoulder after 2, Joe with a crazy look of disbelief on his face, then straight to the choke would have done more for Hook (while protecting the world champ’s finisher). Unless the plan is for Hoe to be a transitional guy and we don’t care to protect his finisher. Fine with that too.

What came of the Undisputed Kingdom? Are they raising hell? Asserting their dominance?

Roderick is going after Orange's title and Adam Cole is cutting promos for Wardlow. 

• Like 1

- Christian (c) vs Dustin was great.
- Cassidy & Trent vs Penta & Kommander was solid. Unusually long build for an OC title match.
- Heartwarming Jay Briscoe tribute.
- BCG vs Mogul Embassy (c) was solid. New music was jarring. Time to unify the AEW & ROH Trios titles.
- Wardlow needs more than Cole blowing smoke up his ass.
- Deonna vs Jay was solid. Commentary and post-match were funny. Planting seeds for a Deeb feud with the "best technical wrestler" claim.
- Private Party vs Top Flight was solid.
- Hook vs Joe (c) was great.

Nice to have Riccaboni on Dynamite. No women's segment in the 1st hour is not good enough.

Edited by milamber

On 1/18/2024 at 6:22 PM, Jaysin said:

I could watch Christian and Dustin work all day every day and twice on Tuesday. 

Yeah that was a nice match! Both are such great workersI would have just avoided a DAMN CANADIAN DESTROYER on Nick Wayne at ringside because jc what the hell was that lol so unnecessary

On 1/18/2024 at 1:44 PM, Wrestling Machine said:

And jeez is enough to kick out at 1 (!!!) from a devastating finisher from your WORLD CHAMP to be elevated? To me it simply goes to detract from the finisher itself: how can the best shot / one of the best shots of a 120+ kg world champ not be enough to keep midcarders of maybe 90 kg shoulders to the ground? It's ridiculous, it's wack, and it took all credibility away from the Muscle Buster itself.

I didn't mind it during the match as a sort of adrenaline rush on Hook's part. But when he got hit with another one after the match and got up within like 2 seconds to ask for more, I was thinking that maybe they had gone too far. Like, yeah, get back up but use the ropes, take your time more, make a bigger deal of how much of a struggle it is to get to your feet and ask for more. He's still a kid with a lot to work on and I'm sure he knows that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mootinie said:

I didn't mind it during the match as a sort of adrenaline rush on Hook's part. But when he got hit with another one after the match and got up within like 2 seconds to ask for more, I was thinking that maybe they had gone too far. Like, yeah, get back up but use the ropes, take your time more, make a bigger deal of how much of a struggle it is to get to your feet and ask for more. He's still a kid with a lot to work on and I'm sure he knows that.

For me, the bigger deal was Hook taking his first clean loss by submission with little or no build on free TV.  Hook deserved better than to have his momentum squandered like that to get a 40-something transitional champion over. If you're going to have Hook get a surprise title shot like that, at least have him win. I hope this sudden change in plans for Hook doesn't mean Hook is hurt -- that's why AEW similarly changed MJFs plan. The fans love Hook and his intensity is a genuine highlight. I wish they would build up his MMA credibility more -- maybe enroll the guy in Judo if he doesn't have a Black Belt in something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

For me, the bigger deal was Hook taking his first clean loss by submission with little or no build on free TV.  Hook deserved better than to have his momentum squandered like that to get a 40-something transitional champion over. If you're going to have Hook get a surprise title shot like that, at least have him win. I hope this sudden change in plans for Hook doesn't mean Hook is hurt -- that's why AEW similarly changed MJFs plan. The fans love Hook and his intensity is a genuine highlight. I wish they would build up his MMA credibility more -- maybe enroll the guy in Judo if he doesn't have a Black Belt in something.

Wasn't Hook already trained in Judo by Taz?

2 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Hook deserved better than to have his momentum squandered like that

Oh yeah. He lost a match to the world champion. Now he's completely buried! Dead in the water! Get out of here with your pathetic 29-2 record, ya bum!  😜

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Hoo boy, so much to unpack here I'll break it down line-by-line to not miss anything. 

For me, the bigger deal was Hook taking his first clean loss by submission with little or no build on free TV. 

This match had "little to no build?" This was about as strong as a two-week build can be. It popped a number too if that matters to you, so there was enough of a build to make people care. He also saved face by passing out and not submitting, if you're someone who cares about that.

Hook deserved better than to have his momentum squandered like that to get a 40-something transitional champion over.

"Momentum squandered" by losing to the dominant monster heel world champion? HOOK at this very moment is the hottest he has been since his debut. The rest of the roster should be begging for their momentum to be squandered, if that's the case. Also, who says Joe is a transitional champion? I'm not following this at all? 

If you're going to have Hook get a surprise title shot like that, at least have him win.

??? "Surprise title shot" that he asked for two weeks ago? Also, at least have him win? What?? You think HOOK should have won? That would be disastrous for so many reasons I can't even list them all.

I hope this sudden change in plans for Hook doesn't mean Hook is hurt -- that's why AEW similarly changed MJFs plan.

Sudden change of plans? From what? What were the original plans? What are you talking about?

The fans love Hook and his intensity is a genuine highlight. I wish they would build up his MMA credibility more -- maybe enroll the guy in Judo if he doesn't have a Black Belt in something

The last sentence here is so absurd I'm starting to think I got baited by a troll post.

Edited by Dalton
  • Like 2

- Mox vs Taylor was good.

- Copeland vs Dante was good.

- Rosa vs Aminata was good. Women's match in the 1st hour 😮

- Bang Bang Scissor Gang is a go... for now.

- Buddy vs Garcia was my MOTN. Brawl!

- Roddy vs Sydal was good.

- BCC vs Kingston & Ortiz was good.

Collision booking has been weak in 2024 but the work rate was top notch this week.

Edited by milamber

On 1/15/2024 at 5:00 PM, Mootinie said:

I cannot take the Jack Perry stuff seriously because "real glass! cry me a river!" is simply too funny. I giggle every time I see the clip. 

Saw folks claiming how Perry's actions made him "legit" and "broke down" Punk and chuckled for several minutes.  It'll be interesting to see how Perry fares in a promotion that won't put up with his antics the way TK does.  I suspect if he gets out of line there, he'll have a long future of being turned into a pretzel by Minoru Suzuki.

7 hours ago, MightyDavidson said:

Saw folks claiming how Perry's actions made him "legit" and "broke down" Punk and chuckled for several minutes.  It'll be interesting to see how Perry fares in a promotion that won't put up with his antics the way TK does.  I suspect if he gets out of line there, he'll have a long future of being turned into a pretzel by Minoru Suzuki.

Antics? He said a line, into the camera, that MAYBE 10% of the audience ven understood what it meant. Apparently it "broke down" Punk enough that he physically assaulted a co-worker. Besides getting assaulted for saying a throw away line during a match, what "antics" are you referring to. Because I genuinely don't know of any.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hailthebulldog said:

Antics? He said a line, into the camera, that MAYBE 10% of the audience ven understood what it meant. Apparently it "broke down" Punk enough that he physically assaulted a co-worker. Besides getting assaulted for saying a throw away line during a match, what "antics" are you referring to. Because I genuinely don't know of any.

He was kind of aloof at some conventions?

I would have brought Jungle Boy back sooner than this. Put him on Rampage, jobbing to Jay White in 6 minutes, or going 50/50 against Daddy Magic or Dante Martin, until he shows he can be trusted to not go off-script. He did a dumb thing. He either intentionally antagonized someone more volatile and valuable than he is, or he thought it was a good way to get heat and is just dumb. Either way, that shouldn't be a black mark on him forever. 

I guess maybe he was told to do it by management and indeed is a scapegoat. 

1 hour ago, hailthebulldog said:

Going on another show and tearing up his contract on camera, trying to use real glass in a match despite the danger to himself and his opponent, starting a fight with CM Punk when told he couldn't do that.  Really Perry's been living up to the Boy part of his moniker quite a bit lately.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MightyDavidson said:

Going on another show and tearing up his contract on camera, trying to use real glass in a match despite the danger to himself and his opponent, starting a fight with CM Punk when told he couldn't do that.  Really Perry's been living up to the Boy part of his moniker quite a bit lately.  

Brother, the bolded part is kayfabe....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MightyDavidson said:

That makes no sense to me, why the hell would they tell him to tear up his contract on camera? It doesn't add anything to his attack on Umino and it just makes him look petulant and childish. 

It's part of the new character, the Scapegoat. The character is that he's the one being blamed for Punk's departure and drama. They're turning the ordeal into a storyline. 

Not the first time it's happened, but I imagine they're trying to salvage Jungle Boy by having him work New Japan for awhile to earn his way back. 

7 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

It's part of the new character, the Scapegoat. The character is that he's the one being blamed for Punk's departure and drama. They're turning the ordeal into a storyline. 

Not the first time it's happened, but I imagine they're trying to salvage Jungle Boy by having him work New Japan for awhile to earn his way back. 

It'd be better if they didn't reference the situation at all.  Just let the thing blow over while Perry hopefully learns something in New Japan.