TEW2020 Attribute Suggestion Thread

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47002" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What about an attribute that indicates that a worker has potential to be a booker or owner in the future?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Awesome. I would love...</p><p> </p><p> Business Adept - will strive to become owner/booker, or form their own company; small bonus to business.</p><p> </p><p> Cold Feet - will not become owner/booker; small penalties if booker.</p>

New attributes in 1.15:

Golden Mane - won't agree to shave hair

Control Freak - More likely to become booker, won't voluntarily step down from position of power

Faithful - Decreased chance to cheat

Desireless - Won't start new relationships

Life Long Underdog - Less pop loss from defeats by big workers, can't use dominate or keep strong notes

Talent Spotter - More likely to offer to put workers over

That Doesn't Work for Me, Brother - Won't offer to put workers over

Voice Of... (x5) - commentary bonuses for certain matches

Agent Of... (x7) - agent bonuses for certain matches

I would like to propose the attribute:

Child Company Man: "Worker is happy to work in child companies and will never complain about living there."

In the real world, we know there are guys like Ciampa who've gone on record saying they don't want the main roster. In fact, many don't. WWE hires a lot of guys to go to NXT, for the purpose of "Working in NXT'. Is Finn Balor getting a bunch of penalties for being in developmental to his morale? Since we use "real world" as an example when it comes to "menace angles", let's also use real world thinking in that some people want to be in the child company.

And let's please use real world thinking and finish out the "Worker gets bonus to _____ Matches" for every match type. How is it realistic that Bret Hart and Kurt Angle don't get an attribute to have a bonus for Technical Masterclass but Giant Gonzalas gets one for "bonus when booked to look dominant".

Child Company Man: "Worker is happy to work in child companies and will never complain about living there."

In the real world, we know there are guys like Ciampa who've gone on record saying they don't want the main roster. In fact, many don't. WWE hires a lot of guys to go to NXT, for the purpose of "Working in NXT'. Is Finn Balor getting a bunch of penalties for being in developmental to his morale? Since we use "real world" as an example when it comes to "menace angles", let's also use real world thinking in that some people want to be in the child company.

I think there could be mechanics that cover those two guys, but the one you've proposed here suggests that they both want to be in NXT because it's a child company which isn't really the situation for either. Ciampa has chronic injury issues and doesn't want the full WWE schedule and to my understanding Balor was fed up with his main roster booking. Both are significantly more nuanced situations than just "I love child companies."

In theory, Ciampa's situation could be represented by contract role demands based on physical health and Balor's by something that causes a worker to request a move to a child company if their morale is low on the main roster.

Tweener - Can play Face or Heel.

(Mutually exclusive third option for "Cannot play face" and "Cannot play heel" for those times you want someone to be "capable of both but no bonus at either".)

It could be a third alignment, some kind of jack of all trades one where you can get face and heel bonuses, but not the full extent of them.

It could be a third alignment, some kind of jack of all trades one where you can get face and heel bonuses, but not the full extent of them.

Yes, exactly. Or neither bonus - just the guarantee you will never get a penalty or "unable to play" thing.

And let's please use real world thinking and finish out the "Worker gets bonus to _____ Matches" for every match type. How is it realistic that Bret Hart and Kurt Angle don't get an attribute to have a bonus for Technical Masterclass but Giant Gonzalas gets one for "bonus when booked to look dominant".

Because you can already give Bret Hart and Kurt Angle high technical skills (and other high skills) while realistically you wouldn't give Gonzalez, say, high brawling skills.

I believe those bonuses exist for match types that don't really have a related skill, like comedy. There's no Comedy skill so it's useful to have an attribute that gives a bonus to workers who are good at comedy matches. Since there already are Technical, Brawling, Hardcore, High Flying skills, we don't really need Attributes.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MisterSocko" data-cite="MisterSocko" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47002" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Because you can already give Bret Hart and Kurt Angle high technical skills (and other high skills) while realistically you wouldn't give Gonzalez, say, high brawling skills.<p> I believe those bonuses exist for match types that don't really have a related skill, like comedy. There's no Comedy skill so it's useful to have an attribute that gives a bonus to workers who are good at comedy matches. Since there already are Technical, Brawling, Hardcore, High Flying skills, we don't really need Attributes.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> But to have high comedy skills, that's just Entertainment, right? Is that the skill used by Comedy? What about Cinematic matches, what's the attribute for that? Acting? Or is there something else used? I am not sure.</p><p> </p><p> I can see your point about lack of "Comedy" skill, I would hope by that logic, though, we can at least get "Cinematic" matches, which seems more akin to acting than professional wrestling.</p>

<p><strong>Inside Interests</strong> - The worker has interests in other areas of the professional wrestling business. They're much more likely to stop competing within a few years of their debut to concentrate on other roles.</p><p> </p><p>

This has happened to a whole load of notable personalities/non-wrestlers in real life; they've entered the business with hopes of becoming a professional wrestler and have maybe competed for a while but quickly realised they didn't have the potential to make a career of it so became a referee, road agent or other personality. If it's possible, this would obviously take into consideration the "Future..." attribute too so that historical modification-makers can steer the worker into their desired role.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mammoth" data-cite="Mammoth" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47002" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>Inside Interests</strong> - The worker has interests in other areas of the professional wrestling business. They're much more likely to stop competing within a few years of their debut to concentrate on other roles.<p> </p><p> This has happened to a whole load of notable personalities/non-wrestlers in real life; they've entered the business with hopes of becoming a professional wrestler and have maybe competed for a while but quickly realised they didn't have the potential to make a career of it so became a referee, road agent or other personality. If it's possible, this would obviously take into consideration the "Future..." attribute too so that historical modification-makers can steer the worker into their desired role.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think this is especially important for wrestler turn manager types. They’ll never retire in game despite being good talkers and terrible in ring. They can work as a manager but the AI won’t use them correctly if they hire them.</p>

<p>Home Sitter - Worker does not complain about being left off shows.</p><p> </p><p>

Despondent - Worker doesn't improve stats because they feel content and complacent with their current skill set.</p><p> </p><p>

Road Life - Worker wants to be used on every show, complains if they qualify for a show they aren't on.</p><p> </p><p>

Family Man - (Male) If married to in-game star who has a baby, will take 2 years off "to be a good father/husband/etc".</p><p> </p><p>

Not Here - Will not have romances within the industry.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47002" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think this is especially important for wrestler turn manager types. They’ll never retire in game despite being good talkers and terrible in ring. They can work as a manager but the AI won’t use them correctly if they hire them.</div></blockquote><p> Yes, Bobby Heenan and Paul Bearer immediately spring to mind.</p>

But to have high comedy skills, that's just Entertainment, right?

No, I think it's really its own thing. Stone Cold would have high Entertainment skills but he's not exactly what you'd call a "noted comedy match performer". It's for people like Santino,

I can see your point about lack of "Comedy" skill, I would hope by that logic, though, we can at least get "Cinematic" matches, which seems more akin to acting than professional wrestling.

If anything, Cinematic matches should benefit from good production values and good characters rather than the performers' skills or attributes...

Pin Me, Pay Me - Just wants to have his match and hit the road home. Happy when booked in the opening match. Angry when booked last/late in the show. Furious if you have the "everyone stays until the end" backstage rule.

I met a few of these on the indies. For a time, I was one of these. I have work tomorrow, and a three hour drive home. Just let me get this done.

If anything, Cinematic matches should benefit from good production values and good characters rather than the performers' skills or attributes...

Can gimmicks get a bonus in Cinematic Matches? I wouldn't give Mark Callaway or Bray Wyatt an attribute for those, but The Undertaker or The Fiend, or any supernatural gimmick. Could be cool.

No, I think it's really its own thing. Stone Cold would have high Entertainment skills but he's not exactly what you'd call a "noted comedy match performer". It's for people like Santino,

I 100% understand your points and mostly agree. I believe that Stone Cold has done quite a few comedy segments, though not matches. Anyone can be put into a well produced comedy match but we've all seen it - it's cringey and bad, and turns away viewers in droves. Maybe a segment will get 2m youtube viewers but the comments are all people making fun of how bad it is. Santino, as a person, is naturally funny. So was Kurt Angle. The good comedy matches tended to involve workers who understood the joke and played it beautifully.

Cinematic matches should certainly benefit or suffer from production quality. They're new enough that we're still learning about them as we see more of them. I am on the "love it" side of things. I think in TNA, Jeremy Borash really added something to the Broken Universe that Matt Hardy by himself lacks - I love and respect Matt Hardy and am not insulting the man, but Borash brought something and when we saw both with and without him, the difference was big. So I do like road agents having that match note for Cinematic matches.

I 100% understand your points and mostly agree. I believe that Stone Cold has done quite a few comedy segments, though not matches. Anyone can be put into a well produced comedy match but we've all seen it - it's cringey and bad, and turns away viewers in droves. Maybe a segment will get 2m youtube viewers but the comments are all people making fun of how bad it is. Santino, as a person, is naturally funny. So was Kurt Angle. The good comedy matches tended to involve workers who understood the joke and played it beautifully.

Cinematic matches should certainly benefit or suffer from production quality. They're new enough that we're still learning about them as we see more of them. I am on the "love it" side of things. I think in TNA, Jeremy Borash really added something to the Broken Universe that Matt Hardy by himself lacks - I love and respect Matt Hardy and am not insulting the man, but Borash brought something and when we saw both with and without him, the difference was big. So I do like road agents having that match note for Cinematic matches.

The rock for example could pull off comedy quite easily

The rock for example could pull off comedy quite easily

The Rock is interesting, so is Kurt Angle. They've both done comedy segments in their matches, and comedy promos. Both are naturally charismatic and high on all spectrum of entertainment skills. However, by the TEW definition of a comedy match, neither one has performed one.

The Hurricane had a comedy gimmick and did funny stuff in his matches, so did Al Snow with the head and bowling ball. Goldust did some comedy gold too, under a "Gimmicky" character. But also, neither one really had a "Comedy Match".

That's what made me curious about this whole thing. I realized that there are a lot of people who're naturally funny and know a lot of jokes, but aren't a comedian and could never entertain an audience outside of a few drunks who laugh at anything. Just like there's a lot of women who are flirty and naturally saucy - but that doesn't mean they could work a 1990s WWF Diva's match, some Paddle on a Pole or Lingere match or other thing.

So, I started to wonder what skills really define these matches?

It's clear with technical masterclass what does it. Or wild brawls (I liked TEW 2016 better, being able to have a "Brawl" match type, without actually having a Wild Brawl match aim. This to me, was the difference between Terry Funk vs Da Crusher 1978, and... Terry Funk vs Mick Foley 1994 in Japan. One is just a brawl (Crusher and Funker), while the other is more specifically a "Wild Brawl" even if they don't go full hardcore.

The Rock is interesting, so is Kurt Angle. They've both done comedy segments in their matches, and comedy promos. Both are naturally charismatic and high on all spectrum of entertainment skills. However, by the TEW definition of a comedy match, neither one has performed one.

The Hurricane had a comedy gimmick and did funny stuff in his matches, so did Al Snow with the head and bowling ball. Goldust did some comedy gold too, under a "Gimmicky" character. But also, neither one really had a "Comedy Match".

That's what made me curious about this whole thing. I realized that there are a lot of people who're naturally funny and know a lot of jokes, but aren't a comedian and could never entertain an audience outside of a few drunks who laugh at anything. Just like there's a lot of women who are flirty and naturally saucy - but that doesn't mean they could work a 1990s WWF Diva's match, some Paddle on a Pole or Lingere match or other thing.

So, I started to wonder what skills really define these matches?

It's clear with technical masterclass what does it. Or wild brawls (I liked TEW 2016 better, being able to have a "Brawl" match type, without actually having a Wild Brawl match aim. This to me, was the difference between Terry Funk vs Da Crusher 1978, and... Terry Funk vs Mick Foley 1994 in Japan. One is just a brawl (Crusher and Funker), while the other is more specifically a "Wild Brawl" even if they don't go full hardcore.

If I’m honest I’ve barely used comedy as a match aim. I see it as some kind of middle of the card ‘break’ thinking of the attitude era there was lots of comedy involved, but always a secondary aim to any match it was used in.

<p>Stubborn to Change - Worker unlikely to change roles on their own, and will be upset at being asked to change roles.</p><p> </p><p>

Single Minded - Worker will never change role; cannot be persuaded to.</p><p>

(Exceptions are injury, retirement, etc.)</p>

Inside Interests - The worker has interests in other areas of the professional wrestling business. They're much more likely to stop competing within a few years of their debut to concentrate on other roles.

This has happened to a whole load of notable personalities/non-wrestlers in real life; they've entered the business with hopes of becoming a professional wrestler and have maybe competed for a while but quickly realised they didn't have the potential to make a career of it so became a referee, road agent or other personality. If it's possible, this would obviously take into consideration the "Future..." attribute too so that historical modification-makers can steer the worker into their desired role.

Still Learning The Ropes - The worker has an interest in becoming a professional wrestler but while they're training and "learning the ropes", they participate in other areas of the professional wrestling business. They will begin competing within a few years of their debut.

It could also be added under "Future Wrestler". In the reverse of my previous suggestion, I think this would also be helpful for those who have entered the wrestling business in a different capacity to "wrestler" until they were actually trained. Throughout history, this has largely been in a valet role because many women started out in this role but Dio Maddin is also a good mainstream example as he worked as a commentator whilst he continued to train.

Creative Control - When they're a booker, they insist that all matches and promos are scripted.

Sink or Swim - When they're a booker, they insist that all matches are called in the ring and all promos are unscripted.