[HYPE] The YES! Mod - May 2013

May I nominate Youtuber Kevin O'Reilly, aka CallMeKevin? He's Irish, so you have the international thing covered. He's also built up quite the following on his Youtube channel, most notably with his series of Sims 4 videos starring his created sim Jim Pickens. And while he's not so much a fan, per se, he loves playing the WWE games for all the wrong reasons. He somehow managed to make watching someone playing WWE 2K20 entertaining.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCdoPCztTOW7BJUPk2h5ttXA/videos

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod looks v interesting. I definitely take a look when it is available. I’m interested to play as both wwe and NXT from its earlier years in a game.

As for possible uk people who could be added in, maybe some big British actor? Simon pegg, Andrew lincoln, Emma Watson, I dunno, just random suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've taken a break from adding more workers to tackle the broadcasters. Started out with 144 broadcasters. Will probably end up somewhere around 200, as some of the web-based ones aren't in the starting broadcaster file.

I'm through Oceania, Mexico, and working on the UK. Done a bit of Japan, Canada, and the US. Its going to take some testing to see how things should be set, but getting things updated to have the 2020 factors, plus biographies.

May I nominate Youtuber Kevin O'Reilly, aka CallMeKevin? He's Irish, so you have the international thing covered. He's also built up quite the following on his Youtube channel, most notably with his series of Sims 4 videos starring his created sim Jim Pickens. And while he's not so much a fan, per se, he loves playing the WWE games for all the wrong reasons. He somehow managed to make watching someone playing WWE 2K20 entertaining.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCdoPCztTOW7BJUPk2h5ttXA/videos

Sent you a discord message on this. Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely an option.

Mod looks v interesting. I definitely take a look when it is available. I’m interested to play as both wwe and NXT from its earlier years in a game.

As for possible uk people who could be added in, maybe some big British actor? Simon pegg, Andrew lincoln, Emma Watson, I dunno, just random suggestions.

Love me some Simon Pegg…. Nick Forst could be interesting, since he has subsequently been in a wrestling-related film. Thanks!

Here's a few possible UK user character suggestions who I've heard are into wrestling:

Jack Whitehall

(comedian, friends with Tony Khan, was decently famous in 2013, was the guy who introduced Bret Hart at Double Or Nothing)

Rob Beckett

(comedian, less famous than Whitehall, but has mentioned wrestling quite a lot in interviews etc.)

Maverick Sabre

(Rapper/Singer who was near the top of the charts in the early 2010s, had a few songs that mentioned watching late-90s WWF)

Phil Wang

(yet another comedian, wasn't nationally famous at all in 2013 but has mentioned wrestling in his act multiple times and even did a comedy lecture about wrestling recently)

Jonathan Ross

(talk show host, a household name in the UK from the 90s to today, did a guest appearance for Lucha Brittania and has mentioned loving wrestling in interviews, also a massive Japanophile so probably loves puro)

Of the five, Ross and Whitehall by far are the best known today. In 2013, Ross would still be top, but Whitehall and Sabre would probably be tied.

Very excited for this when it arrives.

Awesome to hear.

Still plugging away at it. Long ways from a preop release, but maybe a bit closer to a beta release. I've been going through broadcasters and updating them for TEW 2020, as well as adding in some of the puro schedules. NJPW, AJPW, and Noah now all have full schedules completed. I even finally added a title history for one title - the AAA Mega championship. Which was done because there is a short history to the belt. I even added defenses - I know some people said before they LOVE seeing that. Although I have my doubts I will be doing that for every title history.

I know some modders have converted stuff over and had real major issue with certain things. Show grades being well below expectations, too many negative personalities, etc. Been pretty lucky. The AI grades for almost every company are right in-line with where I would expect them. It doesn't look like there is a heavy trend toward negative personalities - probably more than I'd like, but I was expecting to have to go thru Attributes or almost everyone anyway.

Here's a few possible UK user character suggestions who I've heard are into wrestling:

Jack Whitehall

(comedian, friends with Tony Khan, was decently famous in 2013, was the guy who introduced Bret Hart at Double Or Nothing)

Rob Beckett

(comedian, less famous than Whitehall, but has mentioned wrestling quite a lot in interviews etc.)

Maverick Sabre

(Rapper/Singer who was near the top of the charts in the early 2010s, had a few songs that mentioned watching late-90s WWF)

Phil Wang

(yet another comedian, wasn't nationally famous at all in 2013 but has mentioned wrestling in his act multiple times and even did a comedy lecture about wrestling recently)

Jonathan Ross

(talk show host, a household name in the UK from the 90s to today, did a guest appearance for Lucha Brittania and has mentioned loving wrestling in interviews, also a massive Japanophile so probably loves puro)

Of the five, Ross and Whitehall by far are the best known today. In 2013, Ross would still be top, but Whitehall and Sabre would probably be tied.

Some nice suggestions. Thank you kindly, good sir. I'm thinking at least a couple of those will be used as UCs.

Not sure anyone is going to have too much preference on this, one direction or another. But since I can't mod at the moment, I'll muse...

With broadcasters, I've gone for "game play" more than accuracy. What I mean is that I'm not going overly heavily in trying to be accurate with the range of each broadcaster, and instead going more for options and diversity. I'm also leaving out quite a few broadcasters that have not and will never broadcast wrestling.

The data doesn't have much yet in the way of internet based options, except the WWE network.

I'm leaning heavily toward making multiple versions of platforms like YouTube and Twitch that are limited in area. So instead of having YouTube as an Internet free-to-air option, I would have YouTube North America, YouTube Uk, etc. Obviously inaccurate but more realistic in terms of function. Sure companies around the globe can get a bit of widespread attention using YT or Twitch, but no one is gaining major popularity that way.

When it comes to company-owned platforms, only the WWE Network is currently in the data. Been debating what else to include and how. My concern with adding company-owned streaming platforms is that if they open when they actually did, the company might not be in a position to make use of it and that could sink them. So this will take some experimenting. I will probably add them but limit their range to their home area. So NJ World, BJW Core, etc, will be limited to Japan. It will be up to the company to expand. While its not fully accurate - I don't think most such service were geo-locked in their early days, they were definitely not intended to be user friendly abroad.

Not sure anyone is going to have too much preference on this, one direction or another. But since I can't mod at the moment, I'll muse...

With broadcasters, I've gone for "game play" more than accuracy. What I mean is that I'm not going overly heavily in trying to be accurate with the range of each broadcaster, and instead going more for options and diversity. I'm also leaving out quite a few broadcasters that have not and will never broadcast wrestling.

The data doesn't have much yet in the way of internet based options, except the WWE network.

I'm leaning heavily toward making multiple versions of platforms like YouTube and Twitch that are limited in area. So instead of having YouTube as an Internet free-to-air option, I would have YouTube North America, YouTube Uk, etc. Obviously inaccurate but more realistic in terms of function. Sure companies around the globe can get a bit of widespread attention using YT or Twitch, but no one is gaining major popularity that way.

When it comes to company-owned platforms, only the WWE Network is currently in the data. Been debating what else to include and how. My concern with adding company-owned streaming platforms is that if they open when they actually did, the company might not be in a position to make use of it and that could sink them. So this will take some experimenting. I will probably add them but limit their range to their home area. So NJ World, BJW Core, etc, will be limited to Japan. It will be up to the company to expand. While its not fully accurate - I don't think most such service were geo-locked in their early days, they were definitely not intended to be user friendly abroad.

How do you replicate the Global Wrestling Network for Impact Wrestling? It isn't owned by Impact but their owners.

How do you replicate the Global Wrestling Network for Impact Wrestling? It isn't owned by Impact but their owners.

It can't be replicated, at least in any way that I'm aware. There are a few weird and wonky situations like that that the game just doesn't replicate. I can't even force the Anthem takeover of TNA to happen, so TNA can't evolve quite as it has.

Speaking of TNA.... Ran a test sim into 2015. First one for a little bit, since some of the touring stuff has been changed around. AJPW and Noah are doing much better, money-wise. AAA is something of a monster.

A few random things I noticed when poking around....

-TNA is doing well. They always struggle for the first while but they seem to have recovered in this save. I'd like TNA to be fairly realistic in that they aren't absolutely certain to survive if they are run by the AI.

-Marty Scurll has become something of a star in the UK and for xWx

-WWE signed and made stars out of La Sombra (Andrade), Taya Valkyrie, and Ricochet. Styles is there too.

-TNA made stars out of Kimber Lee and Christina von Eerie. They are the #2 and #3 stars in the company.

-Strangest signing I saw.... Kota Ibushi signing on a Written deal with AAA.

It can't be replicated, at least in any way that I'm aware. There are a few weird and wonky situations like that that the game just doesn't replicate. I can't even force the Anthem takeover of TNA to happen, so TNA can't evolve quite as it has.

Speaking of TNA.... Ran a test sim into 2015. First one for a little bit, since some of the touring stuff has been changed around. AJPW and Noah are doing much better, money-wise. AAA is something of a monster.

A few random things I noticed when poking around....

-TNA is doing well. They always struggle for the first while but they seem to have recovered in this save. I'd like TNA to be fairly realistic in that they aren't absolutely certain to survive if they are run by the AI.

-Marty Scurll has become something of a star in the UK and for xWx

-WWE signed and made stars out of La Sombra (Andrade), Taya Valkyrie, and Ricochet. Styles is there too.

-TNA made stars out of Kimber Lee and Christina von Eerie. They are the #2 and #3 stars in the company.

-Strangest signing I saw.... Kota Ibushi signing on a Written deal with AAA.

Meh. It's not a big deal if it can't be replicated. I was just curious if it was possible.

Given TNA has survived, albeit under a different name and new ownership, I think it should be made so they are more than likely to survive although not definitely. Adds some variance if it isn't a definite, but it would be silly to curse them to fail.

Looking forward to this mod. Good time to play. Rebuild opportunities for TNA/ROH, excellent time to play as NXT and lots of potential to book WWE properly and not how Vince has been doing for the past 15 years :D

Meh. It's not a big deal if it can't be replicated. I was just curious if it was possible.

Given TNA has survived, albeit under a different name and new ownership, I think it should be made so they are more than likely to survive although not definitely. Adds some variance if it isn't a definite, but it would be silly to curse them to fail.

Looking forward to this mod. Good time to play. Rebuild opportunities for TNA/ROH, excellent time to play as NXT and lots of potential to book WWE properly and not how Vince has been doing for the past 15 years :D

Yeah, I definitely don't really want them to be destined to fail without a hope. But it should definitely be a possibility.

A lot of mods I've toyed around with in this period of time - most of which were from previous versions of TEW - would have TNA be really strong. The roster and the product type just made them potent. And that's not a knock on those mods - they were probably set up quite accurately, but the idealized, virtual TNA managed to be run far better than the real TNA. So I wanted to avoid that dynamic - where the AI would have an easy time with the company and just chase towards National/Big size. so the intent is to have realistic barriers there that the AI may deal with successful... or may not.

They should still be fun to play as. Maybe not quite as fun as in the 2010-2011 period, but quite fun.

There is a real potential in the WWE at this point as well.

Personally, I am very interested in playing in Mexico as AAA, in the UK as Progress, and in Japan as Noah. All of those should be hella fun. And the two Aussie companies should be very very interesting.

In terms of progress (I doubt many people care for a blow-by-blow update, but...), I am still plugging away at broadcasters and also puro schedules. I added in DDT (although it feels incomplete, so still deciding how to handle that one) and almost done with DG, which is a massive schedule.

what kind of narratives are you planning on having? can't wait for this mod, easily the most ive looked forward to one, as this was a very fun time for me in wrestling cause i was 13 and just discovered indy wrestling and started watching TNA lol

Ran a test soak to January 2020. It was more of a general stability test than outright results. Things are pretty stable over the period of time, which is great to see. A big element is that there isn't much for new workers coming in, so the game world is kinda static in that regard.

So for companies dying, we lost AAW, Wrestling New Classic, Dragon Gate USA, The Crash, OTT and Freedoms.

Wrestler of the Year 2013: CM Punk

Wrestler of the Year 2014: Shinsuke Nakamura

Wrestler of the Year 2015: Kota Ibushi

Wrestler of the Year 2016: Hiromu Takashi

Wrestler of the Year 2017: Kota Ibushi

Wrestler of the Year 2019: Tajiri Ishimori

Pretty obvious that NJPW are killing it but that's not unrealistic. They are at like 95+ popularity across Japan, which might be a bit excessive but they aren't translating that into global popularity.

WWE are still the #1 company. AAA are #2. The size rankings a big all of the place - NJPW is #7 at Big, Chikara is #8 at Small, and Dragon Gate is #9 at Big. But North American companies benefit from being able to gain popularity in Canada, and broadcasters might be a factor.

Lots of companies are pretty rich, but there are lot of indy companies that still have under $1m. So not everyone thrives financially.

The absolute coolest aspect is seeing companies make new stars. A few of them:

-WWE has AJ Lee, Ricochet, Drastik Boy, and Kana/Asuka as stars

-TNA has turned Athena / Amber Moon into their biggest star

-Evolve are a monster. They have Diasuke Harada, Bobby Fish, and Andy Bird that are all VERY over

what kind of narratives are you planning on having? can't wait for this mod, easily the most ive looked forward to one, as this was a very fun time for me in wrestling cause i was 13 and just discovered indy wrestling and started watching TNA lol

The only narratives I had in place were to financially crash Dragon Gate USA, but I've taken them out. At this point, I don't really plan to have narratives to impact the evolution of companies, beyond things like logo and name changes.

As I just saw on a test, there is a lot of tweaking to be done and some of those tweaks may be ways to limit certain companies in terms of growth potential, but I also don't want to completely and totally hamstring them either.

Ran a test soak to January 2020. It was more of a general stability test than outright results. Things are pretty stable over the period of time, which is great to see. A big element is that there isn't much for new workers coming in, so the game world is kinda static in that regard.

So for companies dying, we lost AAW, Wrestling New Classic, Dragon Gate USA, The Crash, OTT and Freedoms.

Wrestler of the Year 2013: CM Punk

Wrestler of the Year 2014: Shinsuke Nakamura

Wrestler of the Year 2015: Kota Ibushi

Wrestler of the Year 2016: Hiromu Takashi

Wrestler of the Year 2017: Kota Ibushi

Wrestler of the Year 2019: Tajiri Ishimori

Pretty obvious that NJPW are killing it but that's not unrealistic. They are at like 95+ popularity across Japan, which might be a bit excessive but they aren't translating that into global popularity.

WWE are still the #1 company. AAA are #2. The size rankings a big all of the place - NJPW is #7 at Big, Chikara is #8 at Small, and Dragon Gate is #9 at Big. But North American companies benefit from being able to gain popularity in Canada, and broadcasters might be a factor.

Lots of companies are pretty rich, but there are lot of indy companies that still have under $1m. So not everyone thrives financially.

The absolute coolest aspect is seeing companies make new stars. A few of them:

-WWE has AJ Lee, Ricochet, Drastik Boy, and Kana/Asuka as stars

-TNA has turned Athena / Amber Moon into their biggest star

-Evolve are a monster. They have Diasuke Harada, Bobby Fish, and Andy Bird that are all VERY over

The only narratives I had in place were to financially crash Dragon Gate USA, but I've taken them out. At this point, I don't really plan to have narratives to impact the evolution of companies, beyond things like logo and name changes.

As I just saw on a test, there is a lot of tweaking to be done and some of those tweaks may be ways to limit certain companies in terms of growth potential, but I also don't want to completely and totally hamstring them either.

oh ok i didnt know if you were gonna include the punk walking out narrative, or bryan's yes movement etc. still cant wait for this mod, keep up the good work!

So the broadcaster conversion process is done. It still requires testing and tweaking, and there are probably 30-40 missing broadcasters I need to add. But its a nice step to have tucked away.

I'm back to adding workers. My list of to-add workers is around 400-450 active workers, and easily 100 non-wrestlers. I'm sure there will still be active talent missing even once I'm through that. I've also been picking away at other 2020 optimization elements, such as company products, workers attributes, etc. Loads of work left to do in that regard, but working my way through it all gradually.

One change I did make was having Game Changer Wrestling debut as GCW in 2015, with Brett Lauderdale as the owner. I originally had them re-debut in 2013 as Jersey Championship Wrestling, with the intent of using a narrative to change the name and logo. But this just feels more accurate and is the only way to end up with the correct owner.

I may have mentioned this before, but my tentative plan is that when I do release this as a beta, I will have a set of Google sheets set up that people can access to add things they suggest tweaking, missing workers, issues they encounter, etc.

When will a beta come out for this out of curiosity?

Probably awhile yet, unfortunately. I'm hoping somewhere later in the summer rather than autumn, but there are a lot of life variables involved. Its playable in most ways, but its just a mix of stuff that isn't optimized yet, which is going to impact any testing that's being done. I will very likely release a beta before I get into the process of adding yet to debut workers, but I'd like the starting game world to be in something near to "proper" shape.

oh ok i didnt know if you were gonna include the punk walking out narrative, or bryan's yes movement etc. still cant wait for this mod, keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Both dynamics are in the mod, but not directly as narratives. Punk will be unhappy, which means a user will have to deal with that (the AI may not as much). I'm not sure I'd want to have a narrative that pushed him out of the company for certain even if there was one that did that.

The Yes movement is replicated with some of the worker Attributes and things like good momentum. It seems to work but may actually be a touch overpowered. Bryan has ended up as 2013 Wrestler of the Year quite a few times on shorter tests I've run. The New Japan guys often take over from there, but Bryan is still a top level worker and the momentum of those Attributes usually put him as a top star for WWE.

As well they should, CVE didn't get enough of a proper shake at TNA and I've no idea why

I always really liked her, but that was more based on her unique look than anything else.

The AI creating new stars is legit one of my favorite TEW 2020 features by a long, long way. They definitely sometimes pick some weird ones - like TNA was giving a heavy push to Tiffany in one test, and Giant Khali was a top TNA guy in that longer term test. But its great that they do it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47546" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ran a test soak to January 2020. It was more of a general stability test than outright results. Things are pretty stable over the period of time, which is great to see. A big element is that there isn't much for new workers coming in, so the game world is kinda static in that regard. <p> </p><p> So for companies dying, we lost AAW, Wrestling New Classic, Dragon Gate USA, The Crash, OTT and Freedoms. </p><p> </p><p> <strong>Wrestler of the Year 2013</strong>: CM Punk</p><p> <strong>Wrestler of the Year 2014</strong>: Shinsuke Nakamura</p><p> <strong>Wrestler of the Year 2015</strong>: Kota Ibushi</p><p> <strong>Wrestler of the Year 2016</strong>: Hiromu Takashi</p><p> <strong>Wrestler of the Year 2017</strong>: Kota Ibushi</p><p> <strong>Wrestler of the Year 2019</strong>: Tajiri Ishimori</p></div></blockquote>Love Ishimori finally becoming a top guy. Was he still with NOAH or did NJPW sign him away?

I am excited for this, as it seems super promising, and I really think the google docs system is brilliant. Best of luck and thank you for the work!

Good to hear, Oyaji.

If the Google docs system works as I hope, it could be very slick. Or it could be a hard-to-track mess. But I'm hoping it will encourage suggestions and corrections, as that helps the mod immensely.

Love Ishimori finally becoming a top guy. Was he still with NOAH or did NJPW sign him away?

I'd have to go back into the save and check, but I'm 99% certain it was with New Japan. I don't give him loyalty to Noah, for obvious reasons, so he is likely to be poached at some point.

NJ are an absolutely powerhouse in this. I ran another test last night for about 2 years and they had grown to low 90s popularity across Japan. they just don't expand beyond that to any degree. I may need to look into ways to slow that growth a bit. I really have no issue with them winning all the awards and putting on great matches and shows. But when the pop gets into the 90s, you are drawing huge crowds, etc. Its something I will play with, but its definitely not the current focus.

NJ are an absolutely powerhouse in this. I ran another test last night for about 2 years and they had grown to low 90s popularity across Japan. they just don't expand beyond that to any degree. I may need to look into ways to slow that growth a bit. I really have no issue with them winning all the awards and putting on great matches and shows. But when the pop gets into the 90s, you are drawing huge crowds, etc. Its something I will play with, but its definitely not the current focus.
The more I play around in 2020, the more I suspect this is a game issue and not a modding one. In my few tests with the C-Verse several companies gained pop much faster than felt organic.

I agree though, New Japan getting into the low 90s would put them at their late 1990s stage which is way too high. Even nowadays I'd place them maybe in the mid 70s. How do industry levels effect pop gains in 2020? Maybe lowering that can slow their growth a bit?

The more I play around in 2020, the more I suspect this is a game issue and not a modding one. In my few tests with the C-Verse several companies gained pop much faster than felt organic.

I agree though, New Japan getting into the low 90s would put them at their late 1990s stage which is way too high. Even nowadays I'd place them maybe in the mid 70s. How do industry levels effect pop gains in 2020? Maybe lowering that can slow their growth a bit?

Yeah, I don't think its a matter of New Japan being "set up wrong". They get realistically strong grades. The way I have the tours set up are almost dead-on to how they actually were in 2013. Tour shows (Road to shows) are all set as tour events, except the G1 tours, which I might adjust back to tour events except the final. But that doesn't seem to negatively impact the growth all that much.

I have NJPW at large-level medium right now but will probably need to bump their starting popularity up a bit. Not hugely, but a bit. I doubt that impacts their growth either lol

I will look at the industry level in Japan. But honestly, I probably won't tweak it massively just yet, as a lot of things in the game are being adjusted with each patch so it could change as time goes in.

I do need to do something about Dragon Gate. They don't tend to tour around the country as they actually do and get a TV deal just for their home region, which slowly erodes their popularity in other regions. I think I have their popularity a bit too low as well, but if I need to, I can location-lock their tour events to different regions of Japan. Pain to do, but would ensure they tour properly.

Randomly decided to start filling some title lineages last night and did 3/4 of the history of the WWE Championship (aka the WWF World Heavyweight). Trying to include title defenses. Cagematch is great for that, but its a bit of a pain since just taking the matches without looking at results isn't really accurate. But for those who LOVE that kind of detail.... I'm at least trying lol

Edit - anyone pretty familiar with Dragon Gate in this time period want to let me know.... I could use a hand and have a few questions

i honestly cannot wait to start TNA in this save. i plan on completely reconstructing the product overall. easily the most ive looked forward to a mod.

Good to hear.

TNA won't be an easy slog as you will have to solve some money problems, which is complicated by trying to keep the TV deal with Spike. But there will be a LOT of talent you can go after. The indy scene is quite loaded at this point in time, even if you only look in the US. But if you go wider.... so much talent to be developed into a new generation of stars.

I'm mostly still adding talent, but getting some help from someone I reached out to. Their feedback has been fantastic and its really helping with the polish. Its even helping with the scaling, which is something that needs some work throughout the mod. Which isn't to say its overly messy in that regard, but it just needs that bit of polish in addition to the working thru the conversion stuff.