• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey yall! I have a semi-weird question, I been meaning to pick up a MAW save but I wanted to know how would be the best way of playing it as it says in the bio ala: staying small, being based around growing talent, etc etc. I'm not really interested in taking over the world with em, thank you!

Hey yall! I have a semi-weird question, I been meaning to pick up a MAW save but I wanted to know how would be the best way of playing it as it says in the bio ala: staying small, being based around growing talent, etc etc. I'm not really interested in taking over the world with em, thank you!

MAW has a limit on the size of the promotion (that you can turn off). Not sure if that affects the popularity growth. It's really not that big of an issue though because very few people actually have the ability to stick with a small promotion for significant growth anyways. It takes a really long time.

Also on the AI hiring rules that you don't have to follow but I think you should are the rules that you can't hire anyone over 30 year old, and they have to be unemployed.

MAW is meant as a place for the next generation of stars to work their way up to the big leagues. Look at their alumni page. That should be your focus.

i searched and didn't see anything, sorry if I overlooked it.

Advice for booking the RIP Chord Invitational? I just do it all through the booker right? nothing with tournament?

You can use the tournament feature if you want but it isn't mandatory just make sure to book the RCI title in the final match.

Personally I think the tournament feature is a bit too rough around the edges for a one-night tournament so I recommend using something external or even the in-game notepad to keep track of things

You can use the tournament feature if you want but it isn't mandatory just make sure to book the RCI title in the final match.

Personally I think the tournament feature is a bit too rough around the edges for a one-night tournament so I recommend using something external or even the in-game notepad to keep track of things

thank you I appreciate it

Guest pickledmidget
Yes it is. An 8 wrestler invitational tournament that usually features a couple of guys from the COTT.

I usually book it as 4 homegrown talents and 4 visiting talents.

ok, again, its been a long time since i played TEW, and dont understand how to book the Rip event.

i have my 8 wrestlers from MAW but how do i book the rip event. its telling me i that the rip challenge is not in the show. sorry. i think i missed a setting or something.

ok, again, its been a long time since i played TEW, and dont understand how to book the Rip event.

i have my 8 wrestlers from MAW but how do i book the rip event. its telling me i that the rip challenge is not in the show. sorry. i think i missed a setting or something.

Make sure your final match in the tourney has the RCI on the line. So where you would go to select the Heavyweight or Tag Team Championships, choose Rip Chord Invitational instead.

Guest pickledmidget
Make sure your final match in the tourney has the RCI on the line. So where you would go to select the Heavyweight or Tag Team Championships, choose Rip Chord Invitational instead.

so i dont use the tournament bracket thing. just normal matches?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="pickledmidget" data-cite="pickledmidget" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47577" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>so i dont use the tournament bracket thing. just normal matches?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The Brackets aren't necessary, they're nice for keeping track of things but not compulsory for running tournaments.</p>

I got MAW to small in November 2021. Give I'm still pretty new to TEW overall, I feel pretty good about that.

Going to take a break from this save to try another promotion (last time I played MAW for 11 years). But I definitely will get back, just to see if I can make it to medium playing still as a wrestling-based fed.

My 2022 plans are to give Cheetah Boy one last year-long built as telling Sam Keith if he can defeat every opponent from January to September, he gets a championship fight at Where It All Begins again. He'll conveniently be "injured" for the Rip Chord so as not to lose there. He's declining of course, but he's been so good to the promotion I want to give him a big send-off. He'll probably lose, after those he's cheated to win gang up on him in the end

I also intend to create a Pot of Gold event to give someone a title shot of their choice and maybe a rising star type belt for anyone under 25. I pondered a TV show on our tiny lil network, but I feel like that might be too much too fast for them, having just hit small. (I mean in terms of "realism" not game mechanics.)

MAW is so much fun! I think I'm going to try a European promotion for the first time next.

Just started a MAW save for the first time this year (edit: this reads like I've never played MAW before, I meant the first time in TEW2020).

I've decided to implement my own hiring rules to make things more fun:

- I can only hire workers with less than 20 experience (obviously trades/loans don't count). There are two wild card slots, to prevent me ending up with no vets on the roster due to the below rule.

- No active wrestlers are allowed to stay more than 8 years (so Fforde has to leave this year, and Architect only has a year left). I'm tempted to make this "nobody at all" to force some announcer turnover too, but... Marv IS MAW, man...

I'm playing with MAW for the first time ever [weird I've never got round to it in all my years of TEW] and having a BLAST.

Really fun company and so easy to book after a stint of 21CW.

I'm adopting a strict one-in, one-out policy. With a single, monthly show there's no point in having guys on the books I'm not using. The fact I'm also trying to use this as a long-term sim helps that as well.

Anyway. Great fun.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BrokenCycle" data-cite="BrokenCycle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47577" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>MAW has a limit on the size of the promotion (that you can turn off). Not sure if that affects the popularity growth.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It doesn't. All the size cap means is that once you get to the top of Medium, you won't be able to earn any more popularity. You will have maxed out. But that's fine because MAW at Medium would be an absolute powerhouse in their strongest regions. Think about the gate receipts from packed 8,000 seat arenas. That <em>would</em> be old school since that's about 2,000 more seats than the Louisville Gardens in Kentucky and Cornette goes on and on about how much various promotions made from the gate in that place.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="robberbaronn" data-cite="robberbaronn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47577" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I got MAW to small in November 2021. Give I'm still pretty new to TEW overall, I feel pretty good about that.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You have every right to. Better than me when I first started, bankrupting companies six straight saves.</p><p> </p><p> While MAW is 'new player friendly', it may not be quite as forgiving as some other promotions (USPW, CZCW). The TCW linkup makes it a lot easier but I haven't seen that relationship last past 2022 in my watcher saves. Those hiring rules are tough now that the likes of DWN, Philippe LaGrenier, etc are over 30.</p>

Just started a MAW save for the first time this year (edit: this reads like I've never played MAW before, I meant the first time in TEW2020).

I've decided to implement my own hiring rules to make things more fun:

- I can only hire workers with less than 20 experience (obviously trades/loans don't count). There are two wild card slots, to prevent me ending up with no vets on the roster due to the below rule.

- No active wrestlers are allowed to stay more than 8 years (so Fforde has to leave this year, and Architect only has a year left). I'm tempted to make this "nobody at all" to force some announcer turnover too, but... Marv IS MAW, man...

I only used MAW hiring rules (Must Be Unemployed + Must be under 30 years old) in my game, but those two are nice.

Mind if I steal those rules for myself ?

On a side note, I don't think there is a "I want rules" thread yet.

I’ve just completed my first year as MAW. And it was great fun.

I treated the year as a learning experience and was fairly conservative. I just wanted to figure out who my guys were and not change too much. It’s a promotion with old-skool values so I wanted to maintain long title reigns and slow builds.

Current champs:

MAW Title

Bradley Blaze still has the belt. He held off he challenge of Cheetah boy for most of 2020 and then finally won a decisive win in a cage at Where it All Begins Again.

He actually only defended the title 4 times. Two of those were multi-man matches. The other 2 against Cheetah Boy.

Average match rating 42. Best: 51.

Title prestige moved from 31 to 33.

MAW Tag team titles

Nate DeMarcus and Tyrone Grey held the belts all year long.

8 title defenses. Most rated between mid 30s. The last 3 were a 36 and 2 X 37s though.

Title prestige moved from 22 to 24.

MAW American title

Deuce Deadline.

Meh. I don’t really see much point for this title. I might start using it less.

It was defended 7 times. None of them were great. Mostly Deuce against low-level guys from TCW.

Prestige is at 20. It’s been bouncing from 19-20 and back all year.

Rip Chord Invitational

Bradley Blaze won the title for the 2nd year straight.

He’ll be barred from entering in 2021 though [defending his MAW championship] and won’t get the chance to go for the threepeat.

Sam Keith Classic

That man again!

Bradley Blaze also won the SKC in 2019 – he was partnered by MAW legend Findlay O’Farraday who returned for one night only.

Their 3 matches on the night were all top 5 matches for me at that point.

O’Farraday last won the tournament in 2012 [with Matthew Keith] so that was a cool moment.

That win launched the title prestige from 32 up to 40.

Winners from 2020

Bradley Blaze.

He won the 3 biggest titles in MAW in 2020. Nice. 16 matches. 11 wins, 2 draw, 3 losses.

Mid Atlantic pop up to 41.

Miller Fforde / Josh Jacobs

These guys had good years and grew their popularity.

Neither are ever going to be top stars but they’re useful enough to keep training up young talent without being in danger of being poached.

The Architect / Jonah Pilgrim

Yeah. The Architect in particular delivered whenever he was asked to. He’s headed for a big 2021. Archie is probably the top guy in the company right now.

Nate DeMarcus / Tyrone Gray

Pop up to 30/31. They held the tag titles all year and looked good doing it. Very happy with both of these guys and they look like they could succeed in a bigger company.

The Heartbreak Express

Yeaaaahh, sorta...

These guys have done well and grown pop from 18ish to 28ish. But they’ve never looked like breakout stars and I’m going to have to see more to give them a big push. They look like safe hands who can look good as foils for my big names when needed.

The Past Masters

I’ve been impressed by these guys. They’re now about as popular as the Heartbreak Express and have done well with whatever I’ve given them. They’re heading for a big 2021.

The Wolfpack.

They improved in stats and pop. But only won 2 matches. Their time will come and they were certainly no disappointment.

Losers from 2020

Deuce Deadline.

He held a belt almost all year. And just didn’t do much. He’s an OK gatekeeper for entry-level talent but didn’t grow. It’s tough to see a bright future for him.

Dreadnought and Son of Sinner

These guys came in but flopped. We wish them luck in future endeavours.

Left the company

Ade Nelson left.

Ref Jay Fair went to work at TCW. Good on him.

Copperhead was released.

Ernest Youngman came in, looked great then went to TCW. Win.

Logan Wolfsbaine came in for 6/7 months. Left for USPW. Had a tantrum about not winning the title in his goodbye match. See ya Logan.

Trix Triumph left. We had nothing for him.

The Masked Mauler VII came in for a bit and disappointed. He’s gone but might come back sometime.

Others

Fuego Fantastico and Super Diestro came in as a masked, Mexican tag team [The Jet Set]. They’ve done fine but they’re a fairly short term fix.

James Diaz came in to pay his dues. This is MAW. You don’t get special treatment because of your last name.

Reilly Patton and Bowden Snoop have come in as white meat Canadian jobbers.

Jaylon Martins / Joey Fili / Harvey Robbinfield / Seth Whitehead have all just been fine on loan from TCW. Another 5 TCW guys came in, got beat up and got sent back.

Freddie Datsun came in as an extra road agent.

Miller Fforde is dating Lisa Bowen. He’s done well for himself.

State of the business

We’re doing well. We grew from 25 in the region to 29 which is fine progress. We’re not out to get big quick. We’re all about the talent.

We made about $10k per month and we’ve got $177k in the bank now. At some point in 2021 we’ll be stepping up production values.

Plans for 2021

Bradley Blaze will be defending his MAW Championship against The Architect in 2021. He’ll win the title fairly early in the year I suspect. He’s got a good chance of winning the expanded 16-man RCI.

DeMarcus & Grey will be holding off a challenge from the Past Masters. Who are going to be strong in 2021 as throwback ass-kickin’ heels.

Cheetah Boy will be departing early in the year. He had his time. He’s not in our future plans.

Safe mid-level talent needs to show me something. The likes of The Heartbreak Express need to either show development or grades. Otherwise they’ll be moved on for fresh blood. There’s a lot of guys I’d love to work with. Grow or get out of the way and give the opportunity to someone who can..

I need something to do with Miller and Josh J. Anyone got any ideas?

snip

Miller Fforde gave me his notice in August 2020 for whatever reason. Oh well, I thought about giving him a short reign to break up Bradley's reign but he ruined that now.

I would treat Miller and Jacobs as the final opponent before getting a title feud. If Bradley is still your champ and you want a heel challenger after Architect, throw him into a program with Miller first. Same goes for Jacobs if you want a face challenger.

Also, you could bring in the COTT title and have either of them face the champion at one of your shows to break up the "MAW champion main events every show" formula, which you seem to be avoiding anyway since you said Blaze only had four defenses.

I've also toyed with the idea of creating a new COTT title, i.e. a North American belt or Junior Heavyweight. I could do both and only deal with the NA title while letting the rest of the alliance play with the Junior title. So if you want, you could crown Miller or Jacobs the inaugural champion for the new championship. It gives them a ready-made story and allows them to tour and improve even more!

Good point - I actually brought the COTT champ in twice - but had Blaze wrestle for that and NOT the MAW title those nights.

He got beat by Pablo Rodriguez in April and Mr Lucha III in December [best match of the year].

Definitely planning on doing that again

I've also toyed with the idea of creating a new COTT title, i.e. a North American belt or Junior Heavyweight. I could do both and only deal with the NA title while letting the rest of the alliance play with the Junior title. So if you want, you could crown Miller or Jacobs the inaugural champion for the new championship. It gives them a ready-made story and allows them to tour and improve even more!

This is a really good idea. I never got close to it. Thanks

Out of curiosity, does anyone ever have The Architect poached? He's always good in any save I do or test but never seems to get the call.

Of the three or so CVerse games I've played that have gone past 7ish months, he hasn't gotten poached. Which is surprising, because with WrestleWorld all the good talent gain pop at an insane rate. TCW poached a ton of MAWs talent in every game so far, but never Architect.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dalton" data-cite="Dalton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47577" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Of the three or so CVerse games I've played that have gone past 7ish months, he hasn't gotten poached. Which is surprising, because with WrestleWorld all the good talent gain pop at an insane rate. TCW poached a ton of MAWs talent in every game so far, but never Architect.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm in 2024 and he just left to go to TCW on an exclusive. He was right in the middle of his 2nd title reign which was annoying as I had to switch the belt off of him with no build which I botched by turning Miller Fforde back babyface after those two had been tagging as my two main heels.</p>

I just finished 2020 and it was quite a successful year. WrestleWorld pushed us to Small and we're still growing rapidly. Production costs are starting to hurt a bit, but nothing that we can't overcome soon.

Every guy I built up was poached. Every single time was TCW too. In fact, TCW was a thorn in my side all year. After sending me crap talents in March, they started picking off my guys one by one. Logan Diaz, Ernest Youngman, Frankie Perez, Jay freaking Fair. And to top it off, by November they ended their development deal with me, so I lost like ten guys, some of whom I was pushing!

In addition to that, Miller Fforde, Ralph Liotta, and Cheetah Boy among other smaller talents all left the company for no particular reason. Awesome. I had big plans for the Heartbreak Express

But it's okay though, MAW's mantra has always been to build stars so they can go work elsewhere. So that's what I've been doing.

MAW Champion: Masked Stranger

He ended Blaze's reign in November after Blaze tore through almost the entire roster. He had a nice feud with Josh Jacobs that helped push JJ to becoming a key player for MAW. I am afraid that Blaze will be poached literally any day, so I didn't want to have to hotshot a title change without a story. Stranger's role here is to hold it until I find a good babyface to take over. I am very close to pulling the trigger on James Diaz, but I think he still might be too inexperienced to main event cards for me.

MAW American: Riley McManus

Jaylon Martins was a decent champion for me, and I planned on having the American title scene revolve around him, but the game said otherwise. I brought in Extraordinario Jr after he had a strong showing in the RCI, and I threw the two of them together for a nice storyline. Extraordinario had just won the belt from Martins and would drop it back to him a month or two later but TCW ended their relationship with me, so I had to improvise. McManus had just left NYCW and was unemployed, and I had a great experience with him in a different game so I brought him in to take the title off of Jr. I need a new challenger for him, and I'm not exactly sure where to start. Eventually, he'll feud with the Historian after the Historian beats Sandman Winks in their breakup angle (bad chemistry for the Past Masters forced my hand here).

MAW Tag Team: #BRT (Baltimore Resistance Team, DeMarcus & Gray) (I know they aren't from Boston, kayfabe!)

2020's tag team division centered around one feud: #BRT vs. The Scheme (Architect & Pilgrim). The Scheme took the titles off of BRT in April before dropping them back in December. I think they had literally like 5 title matches in 2020, and each match scored a higher and higher rating, culminating in a 56 in December.

2021 Plans

James Diaz will win the Rip Chord Invitational in Jan. to give him a shot at Stranger's title. I don't know who will win that match yet, but I do know it will be a great match. The Blaze and Stranger feud will end in February, allowing Diaz to become the next challenger starting in March. The Diaz vs. Stranger feud should span the rest of 2021.

Riley McManus will almost certainly keep the American championship for most of the year, unless he grows TOO big, which would force me to move him up into the main title scene. I have SO many heels on the roster that could give him good matches.

I want Architect to also have a MAW title feud soon, but I need to wait until a babyface becomes champion again, so I think I'll stretch out the tag title feud a bit longer.

Cheetah Boy actually came back, but I have no plans for him right now. Maybe a placeholder feud with Josh Jacobs.

I want to push Johnny Needham now that he is a singles competitor. Whoever beats McManus for the American title will almost definitely be placed in a feud with Needham right away.

I really want to start a stable of some sort but I cannot for the life of me figure out a decent idea. If anyone wants to help with that, it would be much appreciated :D