Public Beta Reaction Thread

I think there are a lot of UI issues, but I believe a large part of why it doesn't feel fun is that everything is so spreadsheety and small that nothing feels like an achievement. It feels like you're playing with SUM calculations in Excel.

You get a 100 rated match:

In '16

(GRADE: A)

In '20

Nothing pops. Nothing stands out. There's nothing to hide the fact that you're essentially playing with a spreadsheet.

Yea, this is an unfortunate, yet big issue. It's actually kind of surprising how big of an issue it is, but it's huge. The game doesn't have an actual end, or a final boss, or a credits roll, so the sense of achievement is pretty much the only incentive to play. And when that's lacking, yikes. Absolutely zero motivation to play. Maybe larger and more rewarding segment/show grades are part of the new UI.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a lot of UI issues, but I believe a large part of why it doesn't feel fun is that everything is so spreadsheety and small that nothing feels like an achievement. It feels like you're playing with SUM calculations in Excel.

You get a 100 rated match:

In '16

(GRADE: A)

In '20

Nothing pops. Nothing stands out. There's nothing to hide the fact that you're essentially playing with a spreadsheet.

Yeah this was a problem for me. To spend all this time working towards something and to get that as your reward is not rewarding lol. And not to mention it's barely legible and still gives me a headache. Less game more sheet basically.

this is the first game in the EW series that is actively simply not. fun. to. play. I hate saying it, but here we are. This has never happened before. I mean, maybe I'm just dumb and lack the required IQ to enjoy TEW 2020. Who knows. I've really tried, though.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one that feels like I'm too dumb to enjoy a game with lots of tiny fonts & difficult to navigate screens.

I'm so with you on this. I want to enjoy 2020. I REALLY want to enjoy 2020.

It just makes it hard to like.

It's like a girl that is really hot, new & can be interesting at times, but is just so stupid & has really weird quirks that make her practically undateable!

Like sure, you can do stuff with her, but you feel unhappy the whole time while messing around with her. Like you know in the back of your head that your Ex is way better than her in almost every way. The new girl just happens to have some neat additions ( ;) ;) ) but is really not someone you want to spend too much time with.

I think a lot - not all - complaints in that regard have come from people who wanted TEW 2016 with a new lick of paint, rather than a brand new game.

My dude, you're saying this like TEW 2020 reinvented the wheel or something. It's really not close to as big a departure from what people are used to as you're making it sound. Booking a show is nearly exactly the same process with certain QOL conveniences being removed. I can't be the only one who thinks this, right?

I'm so happy I'm not the only one that feels like I'm too dumb to enjoy a game with lots of tiny fonts & difficult to navigate screens.

I'm so with you on this. I want to enjoy 2020. I REALLY want to enjoy 2020.

It just makes it hard to like.

It's like a girl that is really hot, new & can be interesting at times, but is just so stupid & has really weird quirks that make her practically undateable!

Like sure, you can do stuff with her, but you feel unhappy the whole time while messing around with her. Like you know in the back of your head that your Ex is way better than her in almost every way. The new girl just happens to have some neat additions ( ;) ;) ) but is really not someone you want to spend too much time with.

Are you having sex with the video game?

Are you having sex with the video game?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH

That got me good.

My dude, you're saying this like TEW 2020 reinvented the wheel or something. It's really not close to as big a departure from what people are used to as you're making it sound. Booking a show is nearly exactly the same process with certain QOL conveniences being removed. I can't be the only one who thinks this, right?

Wholeheartedly agree Quest

Exactly. We've been playing TEW2016 for 4 years. I can probably book an entire show without looking at the screen. Yeah it sucks that the UI changed but give me 3 months and I'll be able to book a show in 2 minutes with my eyes closed.

I just don't have 3 months to learn the game, that's my problem. I'm not sure how anyone has that much time to "re-learn" a video game. I'm supposed to be able to launch it, start a game, and have fun. So far, TEW2020 hasn't done that for me. Between actual life (some of us have had to work through this entire worldwide pandemic, not from home) and other things happening, this game is not a priority to "learn".

Definitely not. the only one who thinks it, I fully agree. Booking a show is the same process but far more clicks, it's highly annoying.

These games have a learning curve. I can book a show in 2020 in pretty much the same time it would have taken me in 2016 now, if not quicker. I couldn't at first, because I was learning my way around the new system. The same as making the jump between any two iterations in the series - perhaps slightly moreso, as there have been some more significant changes here in terms of the Push system, etc..

I think a lot - not all - complaints in that regard have come from people who wanted TEW 2016 with a new lick of paint, rather than a brand new game.

If I may say this one thing.

I haven't had a single issue with the booking aspect of the game. It's the fact that a bunch of things that help Q.O.L is missing from the game. The angle booking screen was going to release without any search options! That alone is enough to make me think less of 2020. Even now it's not implemented nearly as well as it should be.

It's not so much about what happens after I press "start show." It's more about me trying to get to that moment that completely kills the experience for me.

Definitely not. the only one who thinks it, I fully agree. Booking a show is the same process but far more clicks, it's highly annoying.

I always remember in the dev journal, he would mention things would be less clicks.

It makes me want to make a skin that on the main screen says something like

(TEW 2020: Now with less clicks!)

I can only speak for myself, but I'm very sure that a lot others who have complained about the current state of TEW 2020 (including me, of course) actually see it exactly the other way around. We'd loved to have TEW 2020 with (almost?) all the new functionality, but rather with the same paint as TEW 2016 instead of the new one.

However, the new screens look much more promising than the existing ones. I still have hope.

No, I'm with you here. Booking is very similar with the main differences being segments naming themselves automatically when you save (yay!), checking out workers when you're booking an angle being less easy to do quickly, and rearranging segments taking significantly longer.

Serious question here... how on EARTH do you guys book shows in a couple of minutes in either TEW2020 OR TEW2016?

Usually takes me twenty minutes to half an hour to book a show in any version of the game, which is why I really struggle with any promotion that has two shows a week (either a Raw/Smackdown or an A-Show/B-Show type setup).

I’m really going to need to hit some of you guys up for tips. I’d love to pump out shows in under ten minutes.

I don't want to start any fights, nor will I take part in any silly debates and stuff. So if one ensues, I will step away. I'd just like to say - just as helpful advice - that the weird "the customer is always wrong" attitude coming from some people during the release cycle of this video game has been something I've found completely baffling. And maybe it should be reconsidered in the future. After all, the customer is always right when describing his or her subjective experience with a product or service. It's a really bad look when customers are told, in a roundabout way, that they're just wrong, and/or too dumb to understand a product's true brilliance. That's a surefire way to turn a customer away forever. I'm just talking as someone with a past (successful) career in sales.

If you don't believe people are different, and experience things differently, go to a Mega Man speedrunning Discord, and say that one of the games in the series is the best. It doesn't matter which you pick, you can say 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11, whatever. No matter what you say, a fight will ensue because every game in the series has its own violent supporters. And every game that is loved and adored by one group of people is aggressively hated by another. Trust me. This is because people are different.

Now, TEW is of course different in a sense because it's technically attempting to be the same game every time, just with better mechanics, at least theoretically. But still, just because you like the game, doesn't mean those who don't are objectively wrong, they just have a different opinion.

Thank you. :)

But more migraines

I'm sorry I had to

I don't know how he thought the game would have less clicks.

Just to look through pictures. I need to click on each! and! every! one! of! them!!!!!!

Not to mention the segment moving thing that requires me to become crosseyed so I can look at both the arrow I'm trying move up or down on the far right of the screen. plus the actual segment on the far left side of the screen.

CLICKING & CROSS EYED MADNESS!

I just don't have 3 months to learn the game, that's my problem. I'm not sure how anyone has that much time to "re-learn" a video game. I'm supposed to be able to launch it, start a game, and have fun. So far, TEW2020 hasn't done that for me. Between actual life (some of us have had to work through this entire worldwide pandemic, not from home) and other things happening, this game is not a priority to "learn".

It's not like we'll be sitting down with a textbook and learning. You learn as you go. It's like playing a new video game. Take Mortal Kombat for example. They change a few things each games, add abilities, change combos, etc. You're not picking up the new Mortal Kombat and absolutely dominating like you used to because you have to learn the changes. You have the fundamentals, obviously, but you learn the new stuff by playing and pretty soon, you get used to it and you're back to normal.

Then the next Mortal Kombat game comes out and you repeat the process.

A lot of our knowledge transfers from 16 to 20. He added and changed a whole lot of features and it's going to take some time to adjust to those changes.

They DO need to fix the mouse wheel scroll thing. That's just annoying.

I don't want to start any fights, nor will I take part in any silly debates and stuff. So if one ensues, I will step away. I'd just like to say - just as helpful advice - that the weird "the customer is always wrong" attitude coming from some people during the release cycle of this video game has been something I've found completely baffling. And maybe it should be reconsidered in the future. After all, the customer is always right when describing his or her subjective experience with a product or service. It's a really bad look when customers are told, in a roundabout way, that they're just wrong, and/or too dumb to understand a product's true brilliance. That's a surefire way to turn a customer away forever. I'm just talking as someone with a past (successful) career in sales.

If you don't believe people are different, and experience things differently, go to a Mega Man speedrunning Discord, and say that one of the games in the series is the best. It doesn't matter which you pick, you can say 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11, whatever. No matter what you say, a fight will ensue because every game in the series has its own violent supporters. And every game that is loved and adored by one group of people is aggressively hated by another. Trust me. This is because people are different.

Now, TEW is of course different in a sense because it's technically attempting to be the same game every time, just with better mechanics, at least theoretically. But still, just because you like the game, doesn't mean those who don't are objectively wrong, they just have a different opinion.

Thank you. :)

This is so true! Expect for Digimon Games. Everyone knows Digimon World 1 is the best game ever released of any Digimon game.

If you disagree, then I don't consider you an intellectual equal!

Serious question here... how on EARTH do you guys book shows in a couple of minutes in either TEW2020 OR TEW2016?

I know most of the matches going into each show so it's really just a matter of quickly selecting the workers. Once you get the filters down, it's really easy. I also work with smaller rosters, so I know each worker inside out and where they'll be on the lists.

Usually takes me twenty minutes to half an hour to book a show in any version of the game, which is why I really struggle with any promotion that has two shows a week (either a Raw/Smackdown or an A-Show/B-Show type setup).

I’m really going to need to hit some of you guys up for tips. I’d love to pump out shows in under ten minutes.

It can take me an hour to book one show. I get distracted easily by the TV & also take forever to decide what I want to do.

I wonder who holds the speedrunning record for actually beating TEW 2016. I'd beaten TEW 2016 in 69 hours & 69 minutes.