Blue & Gold Skin (RELEASE)

This looks absolutely great. I really like the gold borders - they really help me to focus. Maybe I'm just very simple, but before this I was finding it hard to know where to look on TEW 20's new wider display. The borders are really helping to break the screen down into chunks for me.

As someone who doesn't know anything about the possibilities and limitations of creating skins for TEW 20, I had a question about the skills section (central in the most recent screenshot). Is there a way of moving the skill names (e.g. "Brawling") closer to it's associated value? With all the blank space in between them, I find that absorbing the information doesn't come naturally to me. At first glance, I just see two unconnected columns - one of words, one of numbers - rather than being able to quickly interpret a workers skills. Is this a limitation of the game, or is it something that could potentially be incorporated into a skin at some point?

Thanks for the awesome skin!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This looks absolutely great. I really like the gold borders - they really help me to focus. Maybe I'm just very simple, but before this I was finding it hard to know where to look on TEW 20's new wider display. The borders are really helping to break the screen down into chunks for me.

As someone who doesn't know anything about the possibilities and limitations of creating skins for TEW 20, I had a question about the skills section (central in the most recent screenshot). Is there a way of moving the skill names (e.g. "Brawling") closer to it's associated value? With all the blank space in between them, I find that absorbing the information doesn't come naturally to me. At first glance, I just see two unconnected columns - one of words, one of numbers - rather than being able to quickly interpret a workers skills. Is this a limitation of the game, or is it something that could potentially be incorporated into a skin at some point?

Thanks for the awesome skin!

I'm not able to move around where the data is presented sadly, so the best i can do to help this issue is add in two tone lines so its easier to keep track which line of stat youre reading across. I'm gonna add a small version of it for worker screens hopefully in the next update, with a potential to do the rest at a later date.

Glad you're enjoying the skin.

Are you worried that with the changes coming to the default UI in the official release, this work will be rendered obsolete?

I'm sure there will probably have to be changes, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

The aim of this project for me has always been attempting to help the beta process, so if its made obsolete by the full release then it will have filled that purpose. The original impetus behind the design was to put out something in a couple of hours to give an alternative to use and enjoy immediately during the demo period which cleared up some of the surface level high contrast problems that people were finding it hard to get past, with the knowledge that it would very likely all be made redundant by the design team's own graphic changes upon full release - but more importantly to help dampen down a lot of wilder comments about the UI being 'completely broken' so people could get past catastrophizing, and hopefully move on to re-engaging with the game, and getting used to the new layout so more important hard coded UI problems could be potentially found and addressed before release.

As it stands since the beta has been extended, im now just basically Ship of Theseus-ing the skin, slowly replacing sections as i get used to playing the game, finding where i keep on making mistakes (like clicking the change player button thinking its the worker button) and making small quality of life improvements that occur to me to the point that the end result is a much more solidified custom design with unique assets that will be a foundation to hopefully adapt and incorporate UI hardcode changes when they arrive.

As for obsolescence, eh, it'll happen eventually either way. At some point someone will release a much more glossy custom skin that they've been labouring away at for weeks in a top secret science bunker.

I'm not able to move around where the data is presented sadly, so the best i can do to help this issue is add in two tone lines so its easier to keep track which line of stat youre reading across. I'm gonna add a small version of it for worker screens hopefully in the next update, with a potential to do the rest at a later date.

Thanks for clarifying. Given the limitations, I think that the two tone lines are a solid workaround, and definitely a good touch.

Keep up the great work.

I'd definitely be interested to see what two-tones lines on the skills section would look like, because just as with tormyb, I do sometimes find my eyes getting lost when peering into that section of the screen.

I wonder how the two-tone lines might look if presented a couple of different ways. The first and most obvious way (which I guess is what everyone has in mind) is to alternate the tones each line. This is perhaps best for focusing the eye and being able to scan across and interpret quickly.

An alternative could be to have blocks of each tone alternating by the skills groups.

For example

Tone 1: all the primary skills.

Tone 2: all the mental skills

Tone 1 again: the performance skills.

and so on.

Chunking the information like this could, potentially, make it easier to find the skill that you are looking for at a glance. I'm certainly not a graphic designer, I don't think I ever even completed a computing or art project at school, I just spilled paint allover myself and tried not to break anything. So certainly don't trust my opinion on anything visual. I do work in educational and cognitive research though, and this chunking is something that often works well for helping dyslexic readers.

More importantly, this:

Kam every release you bring out of this somehow surpasses the former. Absolutely incredible work once again!

I wonder how the two-tone lines might look if presented a couple of different ways. The first and most obvious way (which I guess is what everyone has in mind) is to alternate the tones each line. This is perhaps best for focusing the eye and being able to scan across and interpret quickly.

An alternative could be to have blocks of each tone alternating by the skills groups.

For example

Tone 1: all the primary skills.

Tone 2: all the mental skills

Tone 1 again: the performance skills.

and so on.

It's a scrolling list of the skills on top of the graphic i make so sadly i can't implement this. As soon as you start to scroll down the blocks wouldn't be in the right place. Also you can switch the skills list over to attributes as well so the two tone pattern has to accommodate for either list

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Kamchatka" data-cite="Kamchatka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47689" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's a scrolling list of the skills on top of the graphic i make so sadly i can't implement this. As soon as you start to scroll down the blocks wouldn't be in the right place. Also you can switch the skills list over to attributes as well so the two tone pattern has to accommodate for either list</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Interesting. Thanks for clarifying.</p>

Hi,

I'm still getting the run time error when I try to change skins.

I've renamed the original skin default to default1 and the new skin to default - but still no dice, any ideas?

If you're using any of the newer patch beta versions of TEW you should be able to place the folder into the Skins folder and then change skins in game.

I don't get the new buttons. On the roster screen, all the lines under "status" except momentum can be clicked, but only the first three got a button. Why's that? Otherwise, exceptional work, your skin is worth 10 bucks out of the 35 at least :-P

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dross" data-cite="Dross" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47689" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't get the new buttons. On the roster screen, all the lines under "status" except momentum can be clicked, but only the first three got a button. Why's that? Otherwise, exceptional work, your skin is worth 10 bucks out of the 35 at least :-P</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The 'managed by' takes you to the same screen as clicking their perception, I assume that's why</p>

I don't get the new buttons. On the roster screen, all the lines under "status" except momentum can be clicked, but only the first three got a button. Why's that? Otherwise, exceptional work, your skin is worth 10 bucks out of the 35 at least :-P

So the inclusion of these buttons is mainly to help new players adjust to the interface and not get bewildered when they try to book a show. I spent twenty minutes clicking around trying to find the screen that i knew had to exist, the one that lets you change the picture for one of your wrestlers and look at their character. At several points i grew worried that it no longer existed in the game and i realised after finally finding it that if i was a new player, i would have just assumed i couldn't do that to my workers and may have only found it by chance several days into playing the game.

The first three lines are the essential permanent links to those three pages that you need to know exist in order to book properly: The Main Character page, Face / Heel Turn Page and Gimmick page. Day 1 stuff for a player to enjoy the purpose of the game, booking a wrestling show.

Every character on your roster will have those three lines present in that order. So they all get buttons.

The fourth line will always be Momentum but it doesn't work as a button. So no need for a button.

The final line that exists for every worker is morale which does work as a button but it takes you to the same page as the first line. It is normally the fifth line, but if your wrestler is managing someone or being managed, then morale is moved down to the sixth or seventh line. There is also a line that can exist if they're in a stable, and im sure likely there are more tho my game time so far has been limited so i can't be certain how much info can appear there or where.

So basically after the fourth line, Momentum, it becomes a free-for-all of lines but as none of them bring up essential pages that aren't already accessible by the first three buttons (Stable oddly brings up a small info page about the workers contract, no idea why) so rather than place buttons that might not work or have a line next to them, i opted to place no buttons instead. Im not a fan of empty buttons that dont work.

My reasoning is that those buttons are only really there for new day 1 players to help them orientate and figure out how to book and they'll quickly learn at some point that lines are also clickable at which point those buttons are not necessary.

Hope that all makes sense in terms of my thought process.

So the inclusion of these buttons is mainly to help new players adjust to the interface and not get bewildered when they try to book a show. I spent twenty minutes clicking around trying to find the screen that i knew had to exist, the one that lets you change the picture for one of your wrestlers and look at their character. At several points i grew worried that it no longer existed in the game and i realised after finally finding it that if i was a new player, i would have just assumed i couldn't do that to my workers and may have only found it by chance several days into playing the game.

The first three lines are the essential permanent links to those three pages that you need to know exist in order to book properly: The Main Character page, Face / Heel Turn Page and Gimmick page. Day 1 stuff for a player to enjoy the purpose of the game, booking a wrestling show.

Every character on your roster will have those three lines present in that order. So they all get buttons.

The fourth line will always be Momentum but it doesn't work as a button. So no need for a button.

The final line that exists for every worker is morale which does work as a button but it takes you to the same page as the first line. It is normally the fifth line, but if your wrestler is managing someone or being managed, then morale is moved down to the sixth or seventh line. There is also a line that can exist if they're in a stable, and im sure likely there are more tho my game time so far has been limited so i can't be certain how much info can appear there or where.

So basically after the fourth line, Momentum, it becomes a free-for-all of lines but as none of them bring up essential pages that aren't already accessible by the first three buttons (Stable oddly brings up a small info page about the workers contract, no idea why) so rather than place buttons that might not work or have a line next to them, i opted to place no buttons instead. Im not a fan of empty buttons that dont work.

My reasoning is that those buttons are only really there for new day 1 players to help them orientate and figure out how to book and they'll quickly learn at some point that lines are also clickable at which point those buttons are not necessary.

Hope that all makes sense in terms of my thought process.

Makes perfect sense, thank you :-)

Sorry to bother. Terrible at technology. I clicked the link and it says that the page cant load. How do I install?

The link is still working for me. It should bring up a google drive page and in the top right corner theres a download button to download the zip