My new storyline system (long post)

Hi there i am creating a mod. I know, iknow, how many times have people said that and not delivered? But i am! And i would like as much input as possible. First let me start off by saying that it is a storyline mod. My reason for working on this is that i personally find booking storys boring and for someone who generally books a sports entertainment fed that is not a good thing! (and they said i couldnt quote DDP) Why do i find it boring? Well i tend to find when im running a fed, i try and develop it so i am running a pretty standardised system: 4 weekly shows followed by a pay per view. The problem is i seem to find that it is really difficult to book longer storys so that the matches co-incide with PPV's. If instantly you are thinking "i know that problem" read on! If not, please carry on anyway you may like my idea! Basically i want to create a story pack (with an angle pack included) i am ambitiously aiming for 150 storys - i believe that this will make it one of the largest storys packs around for all of you variety hunters! But this story pack will have a subtle difference to any predocessors it will have the "panix booking system" or "pbs" what is pbs? pbs is a system i dreamed up months ago (and have only just named) whereby all the storys have a title similar to the following example: [B]Standard title feud V1 (8W 8A 3M)[/B] the brackets are the important part, basically these are booking recomendations (assigned by the story writer) in this case it recomends the story spans 8 weeks hence 8W. It also tells you the angle to match ratio - which will really come in handy for those of you who dont like booking too many angles or indeed those whose style dictates they are not supposed to book too many angles. This is not the only difference though each plot point will be proceeded by brackets with either (S1?) which stands for a weekly show plus the number of that particular show, all storys in the pbs system will assume you are running one show a week therefore the question mark is replaced with a number betwenn 1 and 4 accordingly. If the segment is recomended for a monthly event or pay-per-view it has a (P?) plus the number of the PPV in that particular story. [B]EG P1 attacks P2 backstage (S3) P2 Over P1 (S4) Hype for P1 vs P2 (P1) P2 over P1 (P1)[/B] Of course you can choose to ignore these brackets, so for those of you who are perfectly happy with the story booking system. Helping to develop this mod could still benefit you, just because it is likely to contain a lot of storys! I have already contacted BIggN asking permission to use his BAM mod and edit it to fit this system i am still awaiting his response - If someone could confirm that he still reguarly posts that would be appreciated. However i have already converted all of the BAM angles to this system so i have put a fair amount of work in and essentially there are now 40 storys with this system, i know his pack has 50 storys but this system doesnt apply to unchained storys. Now for the 'nitty gritty' how can you guys help? Well im sure there are plenty of you out there who have created storys. I am not asking you to convert them, although feel free if you want to! If you could import them into a blank database along with any angles you have written and either email them to me at: [email]panix_uk04@yahoo.co.uk[/email] or post them up here (if thats possible) and i will import them into the mod and edit them so they work with the "PBS" i dont mind how many storys you have, wether it be a single, quick, 4 week story or fifty in-depth materpieces, get them on a blank database and i will convert them for you. Now for my time schedule. Well i am hoping to get a decent size collection together in time for release with TCP's 2006 mod, however this will not be the end of the project - hopefully it will be an ongoing system. But if you could let me have any storys you have ASAP that would be appreciated. I am going to be creating original storys as well. Which i would appreciate suggestions on. Please feel free to post story suggestions here - but dont just suggest "the Kurt angle vs Eddie guerrero" storyline, chances are i wont have a clue what your talking about! Try and put as much details in as possible, elaborate where you can and even include all the plot points if you want to. Anyway, i hope you have stuck with me and read the whole post! I look forward to your feedback and remember before anyone starts naysaying with "it will never happen" comments please bare in mind that i completed a 100+ "new fed" mod which will be included with TCP's mod, I have created APW for TCP's mod and i have already converted 40 storylines for this mod! This mod will happen, but wether it is a 60 stroyline mod or a 200 storyline mod depends on the help i get! Its a great communty here and im sure if we band together we can create something we will all use and enjoy. I look forward to your input. Cheers!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great idea Panix, so far I've only cobbled together a couple of angles and have a rather large storyline/in depth masterpiece (well decent anyway, lol) in the works (v.early stages at the moment). Anyway, later in the week or whenever I've got a decent amount of time to sit around with no distractions, I'll try to get an e-mail off to you be it detailed ideas of the actual storylines themselves.

I'm not trying to knock the idea or nothing but do you not think it's a bit too far, people have their own minds, why would they even buy the game if they follow soemone elses guidelines to the amount of weeks to run a storyline etc

I think a lot of people can't write storylines on their own becuase they can't (or more likely don't) try and figure out the storyline editor. And some people just aren't that creative and like to ave things spelled out for them. I tend to write my own storylines (although I have found a use for a few of the ones from Bam's collection) but I think this will allow people who can't write storylines an excellent resource and those of us that are a little more creative can ignore the show by show timeline and run the stories over whatever course of time we want. So to sum it up it's helpful for those who need it and those who don't can ignore it which is great.

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline]I think a lot of people can't write storylines on their own becuase they can't (or more likely don't) try and figure out the storyline editor. And some people just aren't that creative and like to ave things spelled out for them. I tend to write my own storylines (although I have found a use for a few of the ones from Bam's collection) but I think this will allow people who can't write storylines an excellent resource and those of us that are a little more creative can ignore the show by show timeline and run the stories over whatever course of time we want. So to sum it up it's helpful for those who need it and those who don't can ignore it which is great.[/QUOTE] Agreed!

Plus it takes an incredibly long time to write a storyline (NB: This may have been because I was doing a thirty-point storyline, wrote every angle for it, and had to correct a lot of things when it kept geting stuck due to my mistakes) so if it helps people, cool. Variety is the spice of life, and as panix says, it's not mandatory to use them as he lays out. I think a lot of people new to the game will find it useful too.

I appreciate your opinion Forlan, but as stated im not telling people what to do. Im meerly giving a guidline for the people who struggle with it (such as myself) i tend to jot that sort of info down on a sheet of paper when im playing, but this mod will negate the need for that! And as for the people who dont really need that info, im sure having the amount of angles/matches in a story will come in handy. allthough if you prefer the old system thats cool bud, i cant help but respect the work that you have done on T-zone and therefore your opinion is highly valued, how-ever i think this mod will appeal to the "lazy bookers" (no offence intended) and for those like yourself who dont want any advice alike. At the end of the day if you dont like the advice you can just ignore it! It is not meant to be a 'holier than thou' rule book, just an organisational tool. Anyway i hope you give it a whirl when TCP's mod comes out and whats more i really hope you like it!

[QUOTE=James Casey]Panix, I've done some angles and a single storyline. I'll send you those when I get a chance.[/QUOTE] Cool, the sooner the better mate! By the way i included VCW in the new fed mods. I loved that logo! [QUOTE=sebsplex]Great idea Panix, so far I've only cobbled together a couple of angles and have a rather large storyline/in depth masterpiece (well decent anyway, lol) in the works (v.early stages at the moment). Anyway, later in the week or whenever I've got a decent amount of time to sit around with no distractions, I'll try to get an e-mail off to you be it detailed ideas of the actual storylines themselves.[/QUOTE] That would be ace, cheers bud! It really is a case of the more the merrier - the more peoples imiginations go into it, the more interesting the blend of storys will be! In adition to the above info i have also labelled all the storys with a code to indicate what sort of match and how many competitors are involved IE T4 = tag team story with 4 workers S3 = singles story with 3 workers G7 = Stable (group) story with 7 wrestlers just a minor change but again hopefully it will make it just that little easier (and more fun) to book.

i wouldnt say its laziness as such. You still decide who is in the story, you still put the angles in the show. Its justa quick way of booking so that you dont end up having to put 5 angles on your last show of the month just so you can have your story culminate at the main event. You have to admit though, that having the amount of angles/matches would be useful right?

This idea is also great for those of us who like to preplan shows ahead. By having Panix's system in place, it can help us figure out which angles to run when. You don't wanna run a storyline whose ideal run time is 6 months if you're coming out of the Royal Rumble and heading toward Wrestlemania. I support anything that makes it easier to organize my thoughts. Especially in a game as unfriendly to it as 05 can be.

[QUOTE=cappyboy]This idea is also great for those of us who like to preplan shows ahead. By having Panix's system in place, it can help us figure out which angles to run when. You don't wanna run a storyline whose ideal run time is 6 months if you're coming out of the Royal Rumble and heading toward Wrestlemania. I support anything that makes it easier to organize my thoughts. Especially in a game as unfriendly to it as 05 can be.[/QUOTE]I agree with this point. I never use storylines aside from the occassional "7 match series" because I like to plot them out and run them in my head. Even the storylines I borrow from mods (D.Boon's Mr. R. storyline for example), are ran through my imagination as opposed to being fixed and forced to follow angle points. I like to use my own imagination to plot out storylines. However, I do pre-plan everything and I like to have a guideline to follow (Usually my own mental note pad). This mod will allow me to do that easier as well as give me ideas for my own stories which will continue to evolve mentally. If anything for me, this will indeed serve as a guideline. Perhaps it will even convince me to actually use mod Storylines with angles included! Great idea Panix! I'll be looking for this. I wish I could contribute as I ran several successful storylines in my diary. The thing is, I didn't write down the angle/plot points. Maybe down the road I'll keep track of my storylines and send them to you. Cheers!

[QUOTE=panix04]Cool, the sooner the better mate! By the way i included VCW in the new fed mods. I loved that logo! That would be ace, cheers bud! It really is a case of the more the merrier - the more peoples imiginations go into it, the more interesting the blend of storys will be! In adition to the above info i have also labelled all the storys with a code to indicate what sort of match and how many competitors are involved IE T4 = tag team story with 4 workers S3 = singles story with 3 workers G7 = Stable (group) story with 7 wrestlers just a minor change but again hopefully it will make it just that little easier (and more fun) to book.[/QUOTE] Super idea, no one likes the storylines as they are. I'm really impressed with the time and effort you are putting in both as individual mods and as a part of mine. Thanks buddy.

[QUOTE=panix04]thanks for the thumbs up cappy. Im just relieved im not the only person who liked the idea! Whilst were at it, do u have any storys u want added? :)[/QUOTE] Well some of my 90's favorites that haven't found their way into mods yet are the Bret vs Owen rivalry, The York Foundation, and the underdog build-up of the 1-2-3 Kid. I think all of them would be a blast to play through.

I did actually watch pretty much all of the 'kane unmasked' story but who would have known, i cant remember much of it! I could just make one up though. Monster heel gets unmasked by Rival and go's on path of destruction - should be quite fun to write - i can include stuff like setting fire to comentators etc. If you'd like the story to be more acurate just post a rough guide and i will take it from there. As for the storys you requested Cappy. I will put them in there for ya, if you could just give me a little info, i never had sky as a kid. So the only wrestling we had was WWF tapes that my dad bought. So i know quite a bit about WWF pre-92 but between 92-99 i dont know much at all. If you just explain the rivalry roughly i can make it up - just include the important parts and any 'key' angles and i will do the rest for ya!

Awesome idea, I've always planned to write storylines, but I usually just run unchained and make them up as I go because there are only a handful of the original ones that I've found useful. Any extra storylines I can get my hands on is good to me. Also I've got a storyline written out in Word for my Triple H/Shane Helms feud which lasts from Monday Week 1 April to Sunday Week 4 August so I'll get that created in the game and send it to you because IMO, it rocks :D

havent been able to work on it today, busy day at work! So far the only story i have added is my own spin on the HHH vs Cactus Jack feud (where Mick foley retired) I will try and do one tonight as well. Still awaiting any datafiles for importing though. Please peeps get them sent to me and i will convert them and add them!

Archived