Favorite Sporting Sim?

• 4 weeks later...

Out of the Park Baseball. It's infinitely customizable. You can create a baseball universe that is as simple or as complicated as you want, or play a historical league, or play in the real-world MLB. You can use real players or fictional ones. Hundreds of real, historical and fictional team uniforms are available for free download. You can adjust just about every parameter of your baseball universe. You can even make the data fonts bigger if you are older and want to make things easier on your eyes.

OOTP is the gold standard for sports sims as far as I'm concerned. Better than FM, even. I remember suggesting on the FM forum in 2001-2002 that the ability to create teams and leagues and the option to play without the risk of getting fired would be good additions to their game. I was brutally flamed. FM only recently added a "can't get fired" option, and you have to pay extra for it. OOTP has always had those features as part of the game.

There are some OOTP players who spend more time creating dream leagues than actually playing the game, just because league creation is so incredibly quick and easy.

I have been playing OOTP since 2002. Other sports sim producers would do themselves and their customers a favor if they incorporated only a few of the features we have had in OOTP baseball for decades.

As far as boxing is concerned, you can't do better than Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5.

I have been playing TBCB 2.5 since the early 2000s.

I'm not a soccer buff so the usual "FM" answer here is not for me, though I recognise the complexity of the game. I played the famed Master League in PES games often, but it's only recommended when you actually play the matches (10 minutes) or you don't get enjoyment, though I guess you can just play the top ones.

I personally love the Pro Cycling Manager games. You can get the more or less bugfree PCM2020 for 5$ on keysites. It's not deep but it has a fun mode to play the races. If you sim the career like I usually do, you will need custom xml files though, which are hard to find on the net (pm me).

I don't think I need to mention I love WMMA5. I don't consider TEW20 to be a sports game.

If Tennis Manager is as interesting as you say I'll definitely give it a whirl. Back in the day I played Top Spin 3/4 a lot but that's not a manager. Still the best tennis game imo, though I recently got a tennis game that comes very close. Strangely enough the gfx are rather the same though TS4 is years old...

A true "sandbox" mode is a blessing for some, but there has to be some level of pressure imo. In most games you really need to be bad in order to get 'fired'.

As a lapsed hockey fan, I'm gonna need to check out Eastside Hockey Manager. Does it have pro teams or mods?

I'm a Penguins fan, so would like to play when Mario was in his prime

Yes. Some are available in the workshop.

There is also Franchise Hockey Manager. Version 8 should come out probably within 2-4 weeks.

As a lapsed hockey fan, I'm gonna need to check out Eastside Hockey Manager. Does it have pro teams or mods?

I'm a Penguins fan, so would like to play when Mario was in his prime

Check out the freeware EHM as well as the pay version.

I also recommend checking out FHM7 or the upcoming FHM8 on Steam. It have a historical mode so you can roll back and start playing any season you like. I'm having a blast doing this with Edmonton Oilers and New Jersey Devils.

Check out the freeware EHM as well as the pay version.

I also recommend checking out FHM7 or the upcoming FHM8 on Steam. It have a historical mode so you can roll back and start playing any season you like. I'm having a blast doing this with Edmonton Oilers and New Jersey Devils.

May I ask where the freeware EHM is available? Is it a safe site?

I bought FHM6 and found it to be fun for a while. But my players consistently would not take shots. I'm not a hockey expert, but it seemed strange that the opposing team took 35-40 shots per game against my goal while my players took 3-6 shots no matter who I played and no matter what instructions I game them. I wasn't bothered that my expansion Cleveland Barons almost always lost, but 3-6 shots per game is odd.

May I ask where the freeware EHM is available? Is it a safe site?

I bought FHM6 and found it to be fun for a while. But my players consistently would not take shots. I'm not a hockey expert, but it seemed strange that the opposing team took 35-40 shots per game against my goal while my players took 3-6 shots no matter who I played and no matter what instructions I game them. I wasn't bothered that my expansion Cleveland Barons almost always lost, but 3-6 shots per game is odd.

https://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133

The freeware version is available from the EHM community site.

I used to love Football/Championship Manager, and spent thousands of hours on it, but I don't recognise it now. It's so heavily focused on tactics which don't interest me; squad management is the main appeal for me.

OoTP and Cricket Captain are okay, but my favourite these days is NBA 2K's My League mode.

Out of the Park Baseball. It's infinitely customizable. You can create a baseball universe that is as simple or as complicated as you want, or play a historical league, or play in the real-world MLB. You can use real players or fictional ones. Hundreds of real, historical and fictional team uniforms are available for free download. You can adjust just about every parameter of your baseball universe. You can even make the data fonts bigger if you are older and want to make things easier on your eyes.

OOTP is the gold standard for sports sims as far as I'm concerned. Better than FM, even. I remember suggesting on the FM forum in 2001-2002 that the ability to create teams and leagues and the option to play without the risk of getting fired would be good additions to their game. I was brutally flamed. FM only recently added a "can't get fired" option, and you have to pay extra for it. OOTP has always had those features as part of the game.

There are some OOTP players who spend more time creating dream leagues than actually playing the game, just because league creation is so incredibly quick and easy.

I have been playing OOTP since 2002. Other sports sim producers would do themselves and their customers a favor if they incorporated only a few of the features we have had in OOTP baseball for decades.

As far as boxing is concerned, you can't do better than Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5.

I have been playing TBCB 2.5 since the early 2000s.

OOTP Baseball is amazing, man I wish their hockey game would be as good but its nowhere close.

• 5 weeks later...

For football, Front Office Football 8 and NFL Head Coach 09. Madden's pretty poor for simulation, and while it's nice to see Wolverine Studios try their hand at football, it's terrible. I think starting at 3 relevant ratings and that's it for QBs puts it dead in the water. Every good QB is gonna be the exact same. Not to mention their QB scrambling sim is worse than Madden. Football Mogul has a similar issue imo, and it's what helps makes Front Office Football much better than its peers. Head Coach is old and has issues, but has fantastic simulation and a meaningful coaching staff. Wish Head Coach was on PC for modding. Oh well.

For basketball, I think I have the most fun with GDS's own Fast Break Pro Football Sim 3. Great simplicity while also giving a lot of customization and great simming. I particularly like how extremes exist with the 1-200 ratings, allowing a player like Stockton or Rodman to have an impact similar to real life. Wolverine Studio's DDSPB series is also quite good and I own them both, though I prefer the former. NBA 2K I don't really play anymore since maybe 2K17 or 2K18, just felt poor. Maybe I'll try 2K22 and see how it sims. I will say, no game has done coaching well imo. They all feel like afterthoughts for several reasons. Basketballgm is worth mentioning as a popular, free sim that I don't play.

I really like WMMA 4 and 5 (or was it 3 and 5? I dunno) and have played both plenty. Never tried anything else in the MMA sim world if there is anything.

I have wanted to get into Football Manager, but I haven't the slightest idea about anything Soccer. I hope to remedy this eventually since it seems like an excellent sim.

I think that's all the experience I have with sports sims that are worth mentioning.

Are you even allowed to name your favorite child in public? I got into this genre of gaming because of EWR, so that's holds a very special place for me (Ryland Is God). TEW07-20, WMMA1-5, WreSpi2, FM, OOTP, etc. Never really met a sports sim I didn't like. As long as the level of detail is high and the layout isn't a nightmare, I'm in.

I used to love Diamond Mind Baseball, but it jumped the shark years ago when it was acquired by a bigger company. Too expensive in general.

The early OOTPs were beyond anything I have ever played before (OOTP 4 to 6.5)

Tried a few other baseball and wrestling sims over the years.

Had a good time with Title Bout Championship Boxing.

In the end, though, TEW outlasted all of them.