What happened to dynasties?

52 minutes ago, BrokenCycle said:

Maybe you're remembering wrong. I bet if you went to the Dynasty forum and checked the last post on the top of the page and the bottom of the page for 2020 diaries and 2016 diaries on multiple pages, and compared the activity of each page, it would be about the same.

I did go and check to see if I was just imagining it, and I'm not. As far as the number of replies for diaries still up on the forum page (there may have been some archived in both forums, not sure) 2016 had 12 dynasties with over 40 pages of replies, 4 of which had over 100 pages. TEW 2020 doesn't have a single diary with over 40 pages of replies. Also, TEW 2016 has 67 pages of dynasties and 2020 only has 35. Nearly double the pages with some dynasties that were vastly longer.

A lot of people are lurkers too who'll follow along but don't necessarily comment or partake in the guessing games. Also, since the move to the new forums, a lot of people use the "like" feature so they'll like a post and not necessarily comment because there's not really a point commenting "Awesome!" or "Looking forward to this!" when a simple click basically covers it. So yeah, I wouldn't look at numbers to decide that as the quantity, quality and uniqueness of dynasties is probably better than it's ever been.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Mammoth said:

A lot of people are lurkers too who'll follow along but don't necessarily comment or partake in the guessing games. Also, since the move to the new forums, a lot of people use the "like" feature so they'll like a post and not necessarily comment because there's not really a point commenting "Awesome!" or "Looking forward to this!" when a simple click basically covers it. So yeah, I wouldn't look at numbers to decide that as the quantity, quality and uniqueness of dynasties is probably better than it's ever been.

I cannot emphasise what Mammoth has said here enough and it goes both ways too. Writers shouldn't be discouraged if they're not getting a lot of views/comments (I've been there before!). It's a bit Field of Dreams but if you write it and you write it long term, people will come if they're interested.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Big Roguey said:

I cannot emphasise what Mammoth has said here enough and it goes both ways too. Writers shouldn't be discouraged if they're not getting a lot of views/comments (I've been there before!). It's a bit Field of Dreams but if you write it and you write it long term, people will come if they're interested.

Oh by no means am I saying people should be discouraged against writing dynasties, I love reading them. I was more asking from the standpoint of someone who has been away from TEW for many years. Whether the community had died out, whether 2020 wasn't as good for dynasties as 2016, there could be a myriad of reasons.

Mammoth is 100% correct - almost all the 2016 diaries were under the old board where you could only show appreciation by making a post, whereas 2020 diaries tend to be on the new board which favours the Like button. The natural result of that is you're going to get far less posts per diary, so looking at number of pages isn't comparing like-for-like.

• Like 4

I’ve got one part written out. But learning from previous mistskes and building up a lot of content so I’m not putting myself under as much pressure to constantly be playing and writing up. 

I am a bit old school and do think a message saying well done is better than just a like. But I get why things change. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 3:12 AM, Adam Ryland said:

Mammoth is 100% correct - almost all the 2016 diaries were under the old board where you could only show appreciation by making a post, whereas 2020 diaries tend to be on the new board which favours the Like button. The natural result of that is you're going to get far less posts per diary, so looking at number of pages isn't comparing like-for-like.

Well, the man himself has said it, thank you Mr. Ryland for clearing it up. Makes alot of sense. Here's to many more great dynasties!

On 8/16/2023 at 2:32 PM, ink625 said:

Unless something unforeseen comes up, there will be at least one more fairly soon! 😉

And it may very well reach 40 pages even if no one replies! Best laid plans and all that, though.

Ohhhh is it real world or fictional? Your one real world diary was top notch. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Ohhhh is it real world or fictional? Your one real world diary was top notch. 

Real World. Although I also have a pretty good start on a CVerse dynasty with CZCW that I would love to post eventually as well.  Truth be told, I'd probably already be pretty deep into posting a dynasty if it hadn't taken me so long to decide which one I wanted to do first. 

Edited by ink625

1 hour ago, ink625 said:

Real World. Although I also have a pretty good start on a CVerse dynasty with CZCW that I would love to post eventually as well.  Truth be told, I'd probably already be pretty deep into posting a dynasty if it hadn't taken me so long to decide which one I wanted to do first. 

I look forward to it! I'm potentially doing a WCW 95 save from the first Nitro even though there's like three good diaries doing that time frame but I have an idea I think is different enough to make it work. 

17 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I look forward to it! I'm potentially doing a WCW 95 save from the first Nitro even though there's like three good diaries doing that time frame but I have an idea I think is different enough to make it work. 

Thanks!

I say go for it, despite the similar dynasties. I've never been much of a dynasty reader myself since I prefer to avoid letting other writers' ideas and storylines influence my own, but if I were, I would have no problem reading and enjoying multiple dynasties from the same period.

Just adding to this as someone who writes diaries, albeit sporadically and often shorter than normal. 

The interactions in diaries remains about the same from my point of view. I also think a lot of people perform less predictions (and prizes) and just run their show from that standpoint. 

But the addition of the like feature shows a lot more people who just lurk of follow along with the shows which adding to what has been said at least from my experience has shown there are more readers and followers for my current diary than previous ones. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Michael Wayne said:

I'm curious what happened to this forum... this place used to be bumping. Now hardly anyone posts.

It'll pick back up if/when Adam announces a new TEW game. We have to remember, this is a very niche game series and people are busier than ever. 

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 8:09 PM, Jaysin said:

It'll pick back up if/when Adam announces a new TEW game. We have to remember, this is a very niche game series and people are busier than ever. 

TEW is such a niche game. And writing a diary on it is even more niche. So a niche within niche essentially. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/15/2023 at 11:21 AM, kamikazekopec22 said:

I did go and check to see if I was just imagining it, and I'm not. As far as the number of replies for diaries still up on the forum page (there may have been some archived in both forums, not sure) 2016 had 12 dynasties with over 40 pages of replies, 4 of which had over 100 pages. TEW 2020 doesn't have a single diary with over 40 pages of replies. Also, TEW 2016 has 67 pages of dynasties and 2020 only has 35. Nearly double the pages with some dynasties that were vastly longer.

At least until now - at present, two TEW 2020 diaries, my own Rise of a Star and @Captain Kremmen's AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed, have both surpassed the 40-page mark recently.

• Like 1