TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Powerful_Fox said:

Keeping in with the tolerance and theme of acceptance and diversity on this.... if someone wants the label "male" or "female" instead of "cismale" and "cisfemale" they have as much right as anyone else to have that surely? The definitions provided of “nearer to” or “on the near side of” aren't 100% accurate descriptions of a traditional "male" and "female" surely.

A traditional "male" or "female" may not want to be considered as "nearer to" their respective gender but that gender outright.

If I said to a female relative, friend or my wife that they "are nearer to" a female, they'd probably be a bit perplexed to say the least.

Associate however you feel comfortable obviously, it should go without saying.

I definitely agree with this myself. 

I do worry for mod makers as this will be a minefield in terms of real world as I know what people can be like giving feedback etc so if the wrong person is made not non binary etc I could see issues. 

For me I was fine with male female and other and there is an argument that of you are going as granular as this why not just take gender out of the game all together.

Already on this thread people are going to what I would call extremes in both sides of the equation and from some of the suggestions it would be more like dating sim IX .. there have been some great improvements in the meat and potatoes of the game that is most important and I look forward to seeing what others there are as first and foremost this is a wrestling booking game and everything else is just QOL additions

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Amyzyng said:

This is completely unrelated to TEW IX, but it is good to see you around Morti

- Roc, your former EmeraldVerse headache ;)

Getting back on topic, I’m all for features that 1) increase inclusion and 2) makes it easier to simulate those far-left scenarios that you can sometimes see in wrestling. A Cverse example that should benefit from gender competition settings would be CZCW. 

Roc! My man ❤️ Yeah I am still around, somehow

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, forlan said:

I do worry for mod makers as this will be a minefield in terms of real world as I know what people can be like giving feedback etc so if the wrong person is made not non binary etc I could see issues. 

If this happens and you feel users are overstepping any boundaries in place, this is when you'd report the post and let the mods on the forum handle it. I'm hopeful that this won't be the case, I only ever really check the RWC thread but I can only think of one or two times where feedback was left in an abrasive manner so I have faith in the people who chose to post here leaving constructive feedback on the board - we can't police how people leave feedback elsewhere mind.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@Adam Ryland with the same sex marriage legal date is that hardcoded in or can we change the date to what we want it?

For me it's that I would change the date to earlier so workers can live their true lives from the start

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HamKing said:

@Adam Ryland with the same sex marriage legal date is that hardcoded in or can we change the date to what we want it?

For me it's that I would change the date to earlier so workers can live their true lives from the start

For me for realism I'd prefer it hardcoded

The hype continues to grow for this game. Credit to Adam for trying to make the game more inclusive and very pleased to see that the large majority of responses to it have been positive. Good stuff everyone, we need an inclusive community for the game we all love.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Blessed said:

The hype continues to grow for this game. Credit to Adam for trying to make the game more inclusive and very pleased to see that the large majority of responses to it have been positive. Good stuff everyone, we need an inclusive community for the game we all love.

I echo that. I'm super hyped and can't wait to play it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Teasenitryn said:

Bear in mind that some of what is making the Forbidden Door stuff work is it isn't just a one night thing. Mina Shirakawa was around AEW for a couple of months and has a past with Mariah May they could air videos over, Hechicero has been there a while in multiman matches, Zack Sabre Jr has shown up though he is more a special case because he is that well known. The other thing is that Forbidden Door is a long term project, most of the NJPW and CMLL types have been losing in closely fought matches, Naito and possibly Okada's retention in the four way a while back are the only ones I would say would really have struggled in terms of their results.

What I would like to see is a new match purpose, something along the lines of

Special attraction:
The intent of this match is to show off a talent that is well known in other regions, win or lose the person they are in the ring with will show off the best offence of their opponent. If the foreign talent loses they will have been shown to be on an equal level to their opponent, if they win it will be portrayed as having been a close match that they deserve to have been part of to mitigate the shock factor.
This match aim works best with talent that is over representing the home company alongside or against talent that has high reputation and overness in their home area that may count towards spillover towards people who would have watched companies with lower local coverage that would be able to give word of mouth knowledge about the visiting talent.

-

This would need to be balanced in such a way that it is not an immediate pop boost but I could see this, if being done right over a few weeks or months before a forbidden door type event, leading to good ratings on such a card.

My point is that if it was a TEW game, these wrestlers would have US popularity ratings in the teens or 20s at the most, which simply wouldn't be accurate. Look at, for example, Matthew Keith's or Edward Cornell's US popularity in TEW 2020.  There should be a lot of North American recognition/familiarity there, yet it's impossible for one of the US Big 3 to immediately put them over in main event or upper midcard matches where they should be, due to the game's reliance on the popularity system. If you're playing as TCW and paying big money to sign these guys, being forced to have them slowly build up US popularity over 6-12 months (like an unknown indie wrestler signing at minimum) doesn't seem right.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, forlan said:

How is hardcoded more realistic than changable?

-

Also being cisgender isn't really something brought up in everyday conversation but including it as "normal" or just "male/female" is generally considered offensive so do please be careful about that. 

Also also cis as a prefix is not "close to" it is "on the same side as" and is used as an opposite to trans which means "on the other side of"

See: Transatlantic Flight, Cisatlantic flight. Transmississipi, cismississippi. 

It is and has been for thousands of years the way to say "not trans" or "opposite of trans"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, forlan said:

Speaking as a modification maker and not a moderator (I'd refer you to Roguey's post for my stance on it as a moderator), I'm not worried in the slightest. I'm allowed to make mistakes and 99% of the LGBTQ+ community allow people to misgender them the first time, it's when it's not corrected and/or used to abuse them that it becomes a problem, which is completely understandable. I hope people correct me if I misgender someone. If, however, that 1% takes umbrage with a mistake and choose to "attack" me because of it, then I'm still not worried because in that case, they're the idiot... not me. 

• Like 24

Now that I think about it, I wonder if there are C-Verse people who are in the closet i.e. gay but not written in their bio. There are some who are open about it, obviously.

Edited by Kiheiji

7 hours ago, Derek B said:

I'm stepping in now to make sure everyone plays nice.  You don't need to like everything, and you don't need to comment on everything.  The forum has react buttons these days that can be used to give generalised feedback, and I encourage using those in place of throwing out the kinds of debates / arguments that GDS has no interest in hosting.

Thanks for reading, stay happy :)

I just wanted to comment on this before we got so far removed that it wouldn't make sense, but THANK YOU for acknowledging that the react buttons are a legitimate way of providing feedback in the new forums. If one prefers to stay out of heated arguments (or close to it) yet agrees with a number of points in them, it's the best way of getting that across. That is all.

Loved all of the new features announced today.

Edited by Dawn
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forlan said:

This isn’t specific to this conversation thread, but in my opinion the less hard coding in general the better. Giving power to the moders is what makes games great and total conversion mods are some of my favourite things out there.

It’s why I’m sitting back and patiently waiting to see how promotion products and worker attributes are being handled this time around.

Edited by VBigB
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Kiheiji said:

Now that I think about it, I wonder if there are C-Verse people who are in the closet i.e. gay but not written in their bio. There are some who are open about it, obviously.

I imagine that there should be several. Kurt Meritt is an example of somebody who is listed as homosexual, yet his bio doesn't reference it. Even then, that doesn't necessarily mean they're in the closet per se.

I will say, from the brief look I had over the database, most C-Verse peeps who are homosexual reference it in their bios (with the exception of the randomly generated ones from dojos, performance centers, etc.)

Edited by TheDeep5ix

Something I've been wondering about/hoping for, will the training facilities go back to tew2016 in terms of having a style emphasis? Like Technical or High Flying, possibly expanded to include other styles/roles, I actually miss that feature.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KyleCamelot said:

One thing I'd really like, though I'm sure would be difficult to do, is to have much more obfuscation options in the game.  The above posts about having "seedier" negative are interesting to me, but it'd be great if, like drug users, these things wouldn't be shown on their attributes screen until an incident or two occurs, or maybe until a specific incident (like it gets out in a twitter thread) causes it to be known.

In general, I think keeping things hidden is more enjoyable to me.  I like the fog of war for stats, and would love it for attributes, popularity, match grades, etc.

I'd love that, too, not just for negative attributes. In some cases, it makes no sense to know things about a worker just by looking at them. How would you know they have Rubber Bones if they never got injured, or that Age is just a Number when they're only 23? Only revealing certain attributes when something related to them happens would be a fantastic option to have. Even 'Plays X Well/Can't play X' would be great to hide on rookies/generated workers, then reveal the attribute via a road agent note 'Worker is great/awful at this' when I give them a gimmick in that category.

26 minutes ago, Dogking said:

Is there going to be an option to turn off the new "gender" system? Or just change terminology in the database? Specifically the term "Cis" that's really the only one I have a problem with. 

no.

• Like 7

Super happy for all the LGBTQ+ folks in the TEW community who feel more included with today's announced journal entry.

Not to mention the realism factor: TEW aspires to be a simulation of real life and whether one likes it or not, the realities in pro wrestling (and outside of pro wrestling, of course) are now represented better. How can this be anything but a positive for a wrestling simulation game?

One thing I want to mention though: A lot of people including myself may not be 100 % sure about what each of these terms (cis-, pansexual, non-binary, transexual etc.) mean exactly and that's possibly why some members have expressed their dislike. Maybe a description in the help section of the game would help understand and lead to more general acceptance.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, GrindhouseArts said:

I'd love that, too, not just for negative attributes. In some cases, it makes no sense to know things about a worker just by looking at them. How would you know they have Rubber Bones if they never got injured, or that Age is just a Number when they're only 23? Only revealing certain attributes when something related to them happens would be a fantastic option to have. Even 'Plays X Well/Can't play X' would be great to hide on rookies/generated workers, then reveal the attribute via a road agent note 'Worker is great/awful at this' when I give them a gimmick in that category.

Yeah, it would be another way to integrate child promotions and training facilities, too.  These things could get revealed via notes and messages from your trainers.  I tend to enjoy the soft data and inference in simulation games as opposed to the hard numbers.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kingster said:

Super happy for all the LGBTQ+ folks in the TEW community who feel more included with today's announced journal entry.

Not to mention the realism factor: TEW aspires to be a simulation of real life and whether one likes it or not, the realities in pro wrestling (and outside of pro wrestling, of course) are now represented better. How can this be anything but a positive for a wrestling simulation game?

One thing I want to mention though: A lot of people including myself may not be 100 % sure about what each of these terms (cis-, pansexual, non-binary, transexual etc.) mean exactly and that's possibly why some members have expressed their dislike. Maybe a description in the help section of the game would help understand and lead to more general acceptance.

The problem is sexuality/gender dynamics are a bit complicated and ground up in theory.

I'm happy for this sort of inclusion but a help section, when there's a lot of grey area depending on who you talk to, is probably unlikely.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Teasenitryn said:

As someone who remembers the kerfluffle that a topic in today's brought about last time, I want to say that there are people here who are non-binary and there are people of all different kinds of sexuality here. I also want to say that I follow the QWI 200 articles cageside seats put out and there are more and more new additions to that list every year.

It is a part of our hobby, it is a part of our culture and I will put myself out there as someone who is non binary and demisexual (not listed but it falls under the asexual umbrella), I am happy that such a stance is taken that people like me feel seen.

I guess what I am suggesting and asking for is that we all treat each other kindly.

Ace  too. Here here! Really cool to see this represented. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jose13 said:

I'm really happy with the new changes to gender and finally seeing asexual represented (apart from just trait) as it was one of my main gripes with the previous game. The addition of pronouns is very woke and far more than I expected, it makes me very glad :).

One small thing but maybe the previous "Desireless" attribute could be changed i to "Romanticless" or maybe even "Aromantic" I can understand that adding not just sexuality but romantic preferences might be too much for any stage of the game, but I feel like adding it as an attribute could be just enough to represent Aro people at least for now. I'm only demisexual, not Aro though so maybe an actual Aromantic person should be asking for this! xP

What are there like...dozens of us Ace folk on this board? :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Crychon said:

It is incredibly rare and most seem to retire before that point, but Jaguar Yokota is 62 and according to Cagematch she has wrestled 32 times this year already, which is pretty wild.

Kandori too is 59 and still active. Look at Minoru Suzuki or Satoshi Kojima. Or hell...Yuji Nagata. 

Being able to set decline by region would be spectacular. They tend to wrestle for a long time in Japan, even if they slow down as they age. 

• Like 5