Jushin "Thunder" Lyger: The Innovator

This diary will focus on the career of the masked Lightweight Super Junior known as Jushin "Thunder" Lyger. (He of many possible spellings!) This diary uses the fantastic DOTT scenario V1.3. Here are Lyger stats and moves as I have edited them. [B]Overness[/B] USA 0 Canada 0 Mexico 0 Japan 0 [B]Skills and Abilities[/B] Spirit 0 Power 30 Technique 47 Speed 73 Psych 65 Stamina 45 Toughness 55 Charisma 62 Microphone 40 Safety 60 Looks 73 Respect 0 *I also added Booking Skill of 70 on the strength of Lyger's fine booking of the Super Junior division of New Japan in the 90's. Though I doubt this will affect the career in any way. [B]Move Modifications[/B] Added: Avalanche Brainbuster Corner Running Palm Thrust (dropped Corner Handstand Takedown) Rebound Palm Thrust (dropped Backdrop) Inverted Piledriver Powerbomb Rolling Romero Special (dropped Knee Bar) Hammerlock [B]Contracts[/B] None. Originally was Enhancement Talent for NJPW, but wanted more of a challenge. (The newly added small promotion in Japan will help!) [B]Relationships[/B] Since Lyger was trained by Kotetsu Yamamoto, I have added that as a Protege relationship. [B]Special Notes[/B] I have also changed Lyger's birthdate to November 1964, as per Obsessed with Wrestling bio. This makes him soon to be 19 years old. When this career begins, I plan to wrestle as Keiichi Yamada and adopt the Lyger persona later in my career. (I may not wait until 1989 though!) Anyway, the career begins now! And many thanks to the makers of the DOTT mod for the inspiration! Enjoy! :D

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It begins My name is Keiichi Yamada. I was born in Hiroshima, Japan. I am 170cm tall and I weigh 93kg. Though quite small, I believe I have the talent and desire to make it in this business. I am a big fan of Dynamite Kid, whom I have been watching here in Japan since I was a high school student. I have been training for the past two years and my mentor believes I am ready now to make my debut. [U][B]November 1983, Week 1[/B] [/U] On the advice of my trainers, I have approached the following promotions. [B]Universal Pro-wrestling[/B] Owner Hisashi Shinma has offered me a PPA contract for 3 months at $20 per appearance. I have gratefully accepted and will begin as a babyface opener. I am happy to be in the same promotion as Satoru Sayama aka Tiger Mask and hopefully I can learn something from him. [B]Calgary Stampede Wrestling[/B] My hero Dynamite Kid works here also, so I am thrilled that Stu Hart has offered me another PPA 3 month $20 contract. I will also be a babyface opener. I have heard that Dynamite isn't too friendly, but maybe I can convince him to work with me someday. [B]Maple Leaf Wrestling[/B] Frank Tunney has offered me a tryout so with luck I can impress him. I have only $2000 so I need to work hard and quickly if I want to survive.

Monday, Week 1, November 1983 - MLW I have arrived in Toronto and for my tryout with [B]Maple Leaf Wrestling[/B] have been assigned to face a much bigger and more experienced [B]Tony Parisi[/B]. I don't expect to win, but I do aim to impress. Backstage at the show, everyone was very kind, except for [B]the Sheik[/B]. Wisely, I decided to steer clear of him! [U][B]Match 1: Keiichi Yamada vs Tony Parisi[/B][/U] I start off well with a quick Palm Thrust and then go to work on Parisi's legs. It works for a minute or two, but soon I'm overwhelmed by his power and he's on to my leg weakening tactics. He's simply too strong and despite a valiant effort, I'm pinned by an Arrow Suplex at the 9 minute mark. [B]Rating: C[/B] Parisi congratulates me on my debut and after the matches I make my way to [B]Frank Tunney's [/B] office. Tunney tells me he sees potential and offers me an enhancement talent contract for $20 per for a year. I talk him down to six months, which he accepts. And my career has officially begun!

Wednesday, Week 1, November 1983 - CSW Only three days into my career and I have already been forced to make a tough decision. I guess I didn't check the scheduling very well, because both [B]CSW[/B] and [B]UWF[/B] have shows today. I make my choice to stay in Canada since I'm already here and make my way to Calgary, fearing repercussions from Japan in my young career. Backstage, everyone is nice and I have a good chat with countrymen [B]Fumihiro Nikura[/B] and [B]Hiroshi Hase[/B], the [B]VietCong Express[/B]. We have a good laugh about them pretending to be Vietnamese and Stu Hart comes in with tonight's assignments. I'm to face [B]Doug Furnas[/B], a bit smaller and less experienced wrestler than my debut match. Fingers crossed for this one! [U][B]Match 2: Doug Furnas vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] I take it to him quickly with a series of Palm Thrusts and Dropkicks, working his legs whenever I get a chance. Mid match, he comes back and I'm sucking air. I toss him through the ropes and miss a Plancha. Ouch! He rolls me back in but I manage to avoid his big moves. At the 10 minute mark I get him in the Romero Special, but it's not enough. A Flying Palm Thrust gets him reeling, but I can't follow with my Running Enziguri. Again and he counters! He puts me in the Figure Four but I manage to break it. I turn the tide and try to hit a Frog Splash but miss. 1...2...Kick out! Leaping Piledriver and I'm done at the 16 minute mark. [B]Rating: C[/B] A much closer match but still not what I hoped. Maybe I'll get someone my own size soon and then we'll see what happens. I do manage to get some good advice from [B]Hase[/B] and [B]Mr. Hito[/B] so that's a little progress. Maybe tomorrow night I'll get an easier booking.

Thursday, Week 1, November 1983 - CSW Forced to choose between [B]CSW[/B] and [B]UWF[/B] again, so I book my hotel for another night and stay in Calgary. I meet up with [B]Akira Maeda [/B] in the lobby, fresh off a title defense in [B]UWF[/B] the night before. I figure if he's here too, I shouldn't have to worry too much about [B]UWF[/B]. At the arena I get my match assignment and it looks rough! [U][B]Match 3: 4 vs 4 - Kerry Brown, Keiichi Yamada, Doug Furnas, Phil LaFon vs Steve DiSalvo, Loch Ness Monster, Akira Maeda, Mongolian Stomper[/B][/U] Our opponents are big, bad and dangerous so I hope I don't get hurt! Brown starts out against DiSalvo and is doing well until DiSalvo tags in Stomper and who proceeds to give Brown a serious beatdown. Throwing caution to the wind, I make the hot tag and surprise even myself by blinding the big man with my speed. I miss a Frog Splash and Stomper takes the opportunity to tag in Loch Ness! I do my best not to lose the match and manage to tag in Furnas. Furnas actually holds his own against Loch Ness with dropkicks and head scissors and body scissors to keep the giant off his feet. Loch Ness tags in Maeda and Furnas does well for a few seconds until Maeda starts using his judo techniques, forcing Furnas to tag in LaFon. I fear the worst, but LaFon makes Maeda look like a rank amateur with his technique. We could actually win this thing! A series of attempted sleepers and counters when out of nowhere...LaFon hits a Leaping Piledriver on Maeda and it's over at the 22 minute mark!!! A team win, but my first win nonetheless! I guess Maeda was jetlagged and tired from last night's title defense in Japan. [B]Rating: C[/B] I am really happy to have pulled off a win against a much better team and I also got some good advice from [B]Mr. Hito [/B] and some mic tips from [B]J.R.[/B] [B]Foley[/B]. And also a great match with [B]Dynamite Kid [/B] over [B]Chris Benoit[/B]. I'd really like to take on either of those two guys in the future. I think we could really put on an exciting contest.

Friday, Week 1, November 1983 - CSW Another night with [B]Calgary Stampede Wrestling [/B] but this time it's a TV taping! I think I'll ask for a copy of the tape to send home, if all goes well. Tonight I'll be tagging with a heel, [B]Kung Fu [/B] against [B]Doug Furnas [/B] and [B]Phil LaFon[/B], a babyface team. Not sure why I've got the heel side this time, but who am I to question? [U][B]Match 4: Keiichi Yamada & Kung Fu vs Furnas & LaFon[/B][/U] Kung Fu takes it to Furnas early and has him in trouble in no time with various kicks and a very nice catapulting knee drop! Furnas manages to avoid a spinning back suplex bomb and tags in LaFon. A few moves later and Kung Fu tags me in. It's back and forth with counters until a well-timed palm thrust puts me in control. Unfortunately, it's not long until LaFon's speed and amateur background take their toll and I'm forced to tag out. Kung Fu's fancy feet do their work and after many hard kicks, LaFon's in trouble! He quickly tags Furnas back in and Furnas takes over on Kung Fu. I make the hot tag and hit a nice springboard moonsault press followed by the Romero Special but Furnas won't give up. A missed running enziguri and LaFon's back in. He really takes it to me and after a desperation counter of a leaping piledriver I tag Kung Fu back in. Taken by surprise, LaFon gets hit with the Double Underhook Facebuster and that's all she wrote. Kung Fu gets the pin at the 25 minute mark. [B]Rating: C+[/B] After the match I get good support and tips from [B]Leo Burke[/B], [B]Bruce[/B] [B]Hart[/B] and [B]Akira Maeda[/B]. And Maeda and I head off to the airport to head for home and my Japanese debut. As I settle in for a good rest on the plane, I can't help but smile. I think I could make it, I really do.

Saturday, Week 1, November 1983 - UWF I guess maybe my choosing the Canadian promotion over [B]UWF[/B] may have ruffled some feathers. The owner and booker, [B]Hisashi Shinma[/B], is very cold toward me when I try to talk to him and I'm not on the card tonight. My Mom and Dad came out for nothing and I'm sorry to disappoint them. [B]Maeda[/B] takes me aside and tells me not to worry. [B]Shinma[/B] is a jerk to everyone and it's only a three match card. That boosts my spirits a little and my parents do enjoy watching [B]Maeda[/B] defend the [B]Universal International Heavyweight [/B] title against [B]Kintaro Oki[/B]. [B]Satoru Sayama [/B] is also very generous with his advice in the locker room. I hope someday I can get up to his level! Now for another long flight back to Toronto and [B]Maple Leaf Wrestling[/B].

Sunday, Week 1, November 1983 - MLW Back in Toronto it's colder than [B]Hisashi Shinma [/B] on a bad day but I'm glad to have another TV match. This time I'll be tagging with [B]Angelo Mosca [/B] [B]Jr.[/B] against [B]Mark Youngblood [/B] and [B]Jacques [/B] [B]Rougeau[/B]. Angelo and I have a good chat about what it's like for him to be second generation in this business and then we're up. [U][B]Match 5: Angelo Mosca Jr. & Keiichi Yamada vs Mark Youngblood and Jacques Rougeau[/B][/U] It's back and forth between Mosca and Youngblood for several minutes until Mosca hits a back suplex and tags me in. A quick knee drive and a Romero Special and Youngblood's begging for a tag. A german suplex and he barely kicks out! I try to capitalize with an Avalanche Brainbuster but he slips out and tags in Rougeau. Rougeau tries to take advantage but I'm on fire tonight and an onslaught of dropkicks and palm thrusts has him reeling. I decide to press the advantage and toss outside for a plancha dive. Missed! Big mistake...Outside, it's all Rougeau, but when he rolls me back in, I get my second wind and soon enough he's caught in the Romero Special. Not enough to finish him, but he's weak as I tag in Mosca. Unfortunately, he's unable to capitalize and Youngblood's back in. They're both drained when Mosca makes the desperation tag to me. I hit a bulldog lariat and go for the frog splash but miss it! Kick out! Mosca tags in as does Rougeau and after a series of rapidfire dropkicks, Mosca tags me back in, I go for the high risk frog splash and Rougeau rolls out of the way. That really hurt and I'm an easy cover for him at the 26 minute mark. [B]Rating: C[/B] Disappointing since I thought we had that one. Next time, next time. [B]Tom[/B] [B]Jones[/B] offers some good advice after the match and I ask him for an autograph for my mother since she's a big fan of his concerts. He informs that he's not that Tom Jones and I apologize in embarassment. My first week as a professional wrestler is done.

Monday, Week 2, November 1983 - MLW Well, after a restful sleep, I hitched a ride with my friend [B]Tony Parisi [/B] to Scarborough where [B]MLW[/B] has a show this afternoon. When I arrived at the arena I saw that I was booked in a singles match against [B]Tom[/B] [B]Jones[/B]. I only hope he wasn't offended by my mistake yesterday. [U][B]Match 6: Tom Jones vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] For the first few minutes, it all me. Arm drag, work the legs, arm drag, work the legs. Pretty basic but effective. Jones turns it around and nails me with punch after punch. If that's the way he wants to play it, I can trade a few palm thrusts. He goes down and I slap on the Romero Special followed by some rapid fire dropkicks. A couple of reversed irish whips and a bionic elbow and I'm in trouble! Jones comes at me with a running headbutt and I duck it! He comes back off the ropes and BANG! A Running Enziguri from out of nowhere and Jones goes down! 1..2..3! My first singles victory at the 16 minute mark! [B]Rating: C[/B] With great satisfaction, I head to the airport to catch the red-eye to Osaka. With any luck, Shinma will book me.

Wednesday, Week 2, November 1983 - UWF Well, [B]Shinma's[/B] still pretty gruff but he's booked me in the mid-card against [B]Pierre Lefebvre[/B]. Not sure who he is, but I'd guess he's a Canadian. Let's hope my Japanese debut goes well! [U][B]Match 7: Keiichi Yamada vs Pierre Lefebvre[/B][/U] This guy seems to be experienced, but my speed just overwhelms him. Maybe he was told to lay down for the hometown boy? Running palm thrusts, Romero Special, Frog Splash but he kicks out. Running Enziguri, kick out! Two more Running Enziguris in a row and he's out! A singles win in my Japan debut at the 8 minute mark! [B]Rating: C[/B] After the match I picked up a few tips from [B]El Satanico [/B] and [B]Tetsuo [/B] [B]Sekigawa[/B] and headed back to Canada.

Fantastic diary, Xellence! I don't really know much about Lyger... er, Yamada, but I love the fact that you're taking an 'unknown' at this time. I'm a big fan of the clipped and 'respectful' style you are going with here, as it really gets across just how young Yamada is. Also, the small touches like Yamada, Fumihiro Nikura and Hiroshi Hase joking about how the Vietcong Express are presented is great. Congrats on those first wins! I'm very much looking forward to following this youngster's future.

Thursday, Week 2, November 1983 - CSW [B]Stampede Wrestling [/B] is heading to Lethbridge today and I'm happy to see that I'll be facing [B]Phil LaFon [/B] again. Our styles seem to work pretty well together so hopefully the fans will be impressed. He's also not so big so I might be able to use a few of the more exciting things I learned during my training. [U][B]Match 8: Phil LaFon vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] I take control early with a series of arm drags to bring LaFon down to the mat followed by work on his legs. He comes back with some sound amateur techniques which I counter with a palm thrust flurry and a surfboard into a Romero Special. He comes back with a series of takedowns, elbow drops, knee drops and punches. Then he's up on top with a flying double axe handle but a second is easy to read and I come back with a running palm thrust. Then he's on me again with his takedowns, a dropkick and a perfect back suplex and I'm in trouble! He tries to go to the top again and I'm able to stop him with a rolling wheel kick, then an arm wringer and a powerbomb! The fans gasp and I realize not too many have seen that kind of impact before as I go for the cover. LaFon manages to kick out at the last second but as he stagger to his feet, I'm ready with a running enziguri and he's down for the count at the 14 minute mark. [B]Rating: C+[/B] I'm truly happy for the win and the nice reaction to the powerbomb. I talk to Phil in the back and thank him for trusting me. He seems none the worse for wear. [B]Bret Hart [/B] is in the back and he congratulates me for the win and passes on a little bit of his knowledge. I head back to the motel to rest up for tomorrow night's TV taping.

Friday, Week 2, November 1983 - CSW At the studio today, I get some good news and some bad news. The bad news is I'm left off tonight's taping. Understandable since [B]Keith Hart [/B] just turned heel and joined up with [B]J.R. Foley's [/B] gang. Tonight he and [B]Loch[/B] [B]Ness Monster [/B] will take on Keith's brothers, [B]Bret[/B] and [B]Bruce[/B] [B]Hart[/B]. [B]The Cobra [/B] will also defend the [B]British[/B] [B]Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight [/B] title against [B]Doug Furnas[/B]. Now the good news. [B]Stu Hart[/B] called me over tonight and asked if I'd be interested in starting a feud with [B]The Cobra[/B]. Apparently he thinks the fans might get into it and that means if Furnas can't beat him tonight, I might get a match for The Cobra's title! Unbelievable! I've only been here 2 weeks and already I'm moving up the card. I shake Stu's hand until he threatens to put me in a painful joint lock and rush off to call home with the news! In the meantime, The Cobra successfully defends and I'm the next in line.

Saturday, Week 2, November 1983 - UWF I'm back in Japan for the [B]Universal Pro [/B] TV taping and I see that I'll be facing another 19 year-old in [B]Ken Shamrock[/B]. I don't know much about him, but some of the other guys have said he's got some shootfighting experience. I hope he pulls his punches a little. Backstage, [B]Akira Maeda [/B] seems to be a little cold toward me and I realize that I shouldn't have been so enthusiastic about my recent win in Calgary against his team. I decide to be very humble toward him for the next few weeks. The last thing I want to do is get the champion of [B]UWF[/B] angry with me. [U][B]Match 9: Ken Shamrock vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] To my surprise, the first thing Shamrock does is hit me with a flying knee from the top! Then he's all kicks and punches, but I manage to counter with some dropkicks and chops. He's very good at getting out of my ground attacks though. He keeps slipping my Romero Special but a Russian Legsweep, Flying Palm Thrust, Springboard Dropkick combo put him down and I'm up to the top for a Frog Splash which connects for the three count at the ten minute mark. [B]Rating: C+[/B] Then I'm back on the plane to Eastern Canada for MLW. During the flight I read an interesting article in the sports pages. It seems that New Japan Pro Wrestling has signed a wrestling bear called [B]Ted[/B] to it's roster! What have I gotten myself into by joining this business?

Sunday, Week 2, November 1983 - MLW The end of my second week is here and I arrive in Toronto to find I'll be facing [B]Mark Youngblood [/B] on today's TV taping. Should be a good match and when I see Mark backstage he's excited about it too. Let's see if we can't give these fans something to remember! [U][B]Match 10: Mark Youngblood vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] Mark must have seen the Shamrock match because the first thing he does is go to the top. I'm ready though and easily dodge and put him down with a couple of knife edge chops before going to work on his legs. He slips out and for a minute we exchange counters before I put him down again with a dropkick. A running palm thrust, running dropkick, flying palm thrust combo has Mark reeling and a rolling wheel kick puts him down. A surfboard and a Romero Special later and I can tell he's hurting. He slips my Fisherman's Suplex attempt and comes at me with knees until I slip around and hit a German Suplex. He kicks out but I can sense victory. My Avalanche Brainbuster and the crowd is really fearing for Mark's safety as I go to the top for a Frog Splash. Mark rolls out of the way and I almost get pinned. Stupid, stupid, stupid! He's all over me now with forearm blows and I'm really sucking for air when he misses a Slingshot Legdrop! As he staggers up, I hit a Bulldog Lariat which busts him wide open! I try to get him in a surprise finish but he counters with a dropkick and hits a Slingshot Legdrop which I barely kick out of. The fans are on their feet! Mark climbs the turnbuckles and hits me with a second rope dropkick then goes up again for a Frog Splash! I've had it at the 16 minute mark. [B]Rating: B-[/B] I'm ready to kick myself for that missed Frog Splash, but Mark offers his hand to pull me up and as he raises my hand I can see the smiles of the faces of the fans and I know what it's all about. It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.

[QUOTE=IWWROCKS]Frog Splash aint been working too well. A title shot already? bloody hell you must be rubbing someone up the right way.[/QUOTE] That or cannon fodder :D

Monday, Week 3, November 1983 - MLW [I]*Note: I have changed the Romero Special to be a submission finisher as Yamada now grabs the opponent's head in a rear chinlock for extra pressure.[/I] When I get to Ottawa tonight, [B]Mark Youngblood [/B] is waiting for me. Apparently we're teammates tonight in a 4 on 4 elimination match. Looks like it could be fun! [U][B]Match 11: 4 vs 4 Elimination Match - Matt Borne, Brian Adias, Tom Jones, Jacques Rougeau vs Angelo Mosca Jr., Keiichi Yamada, Mark Youngblood, Prof. Toru Tanaka[/B][/U] I'm anxious to try out my Romero Special variation in this match. I spoke to Kotetsu Yamamoto, my trainer, on the phone last night and he suggested I try to add a chinlock to it for a submission. We'll see how it goes. Mosca starts out against Borne and it's pretty much all Mosca with amateur techniques. After a Back Suplex he tags me in, but Borne also tags so it's me and Jones. He's pretty vicious with strikes and I need to quickly tag in Youngblood after I counter with a dropkick. Youngblood has much better luck and though he's taking a few strikes here and there he manages a couple of pin covers on Jones with a Gorilla Press and a Slingshot Legdrop. Jones kicks out of a Slingshot Sunset Flip and Youngblood tags in the big gun for our side, Tanaka. Tanaka nails Jones with a Heart Kick and it's lights out for Jones at 10:00. Borne enters the fray, though it seems like he's a little reluctant. He fights valiantly but Tanaka is vicious and hard-hitting. All I can say is I'm glad he's on my side. A few falling headbutts later and Borne looks to be finished. A drop on the top ring rope, a Head Claw, an Asiatic Spike, and a Mandible Claw and Borne's still holding on! Tanaka misses the Heart Kick and Borne tags in a fresh Rougeau. Tanaka decides to take a break and tags in Mosca. Angelo gets into trouble fast thanks to Rougeau's fine mat skills so I make the hot tag and get back in. Several palm thrusts and a Bulldog Lariat later he's bleeding. I toss Rougeau through the ropes and get a huge reaction for my Body Press Suicida to the outside. I can't capitalize and Adias gets the tag. I tag in Youngblood and after 3 Gorilla presses Adias tags back Borne. Mark fights hard and after blocking a Leaping Piledriver he puts a Main Event Sleeper on Borne. Borne is gone at 28:00. Rougeau's in and after Mark softens him up I come and toss him outside. I climb the turnbuckles and nail him with a Flying Palm Thrust to the outside. The rowd is impressed but they haven't seen anything yet as I climb up again and hit a Somersault Body Attack Suicida!!! I roll him back in and he doesn't even try to kick out. Rougeau gone at 30:00 and it's only a tired Adias to face the intact side. I decide to stay in and bust Adias open with a Bulldog Lariat and a running bomb maneuver which I don't have a name for yet. Amazingly he kicks out and as I try for an Avalanche Brainbuster, he counters with a Flying Forearm Smash and I'm pinned at 35:00. As I roll out of the ring, Tanaka comes in and I think I see Adias shudder. Tanaka tries a Head Claw but Adias won't quit so Tanaka toss Powder into his eyes. The ref warns him but he still counts the pinfall and it's all over at 37:00. [B]Rating: B[/B] I thought the match was great up until Tanaka decided to fight dirty, but I'm not about to tell him. The fans seemed to love it anyway! I'm actually not sure why he was even on our team of babyfaces but I guess I shouldn't question the bookers.

Keiichi Yamada - A Brief Bio I thought I would take this opportunity to give you all a little more background about myself. I have decide to write it down so that if I do become the star I know I can be, I won't have to try to remember. I was born [B]Keiichi Yamada [/B] on November 10, 1964 in Hiroshima, Japan. I started watching pro wrestling as an elementary school student especially [B]Giant Baba [/B] and [B]Antonio Inoki[/B]. In my junior high school and high school days I excelled at amateur wrestling, but not so much in my studies. The highlight of my high school career came in 1981 when I made it to the finals of the [B]National High School Wrestling Championships [/B] in Tokyo. Unfortunately, I was beaten by [B]Toshiaki Kawada[/B], who now works for [B]All Japan Pro Wrestling[/B], in the 165 lb. class. It was also at this time that I noticed a new breed of wrestler in [B]Tiger Mask [/B] and [B]Dynamite Kid[/B]. Both of them were quite small but it didn't seem to stop them. I knew then that it was possible to achieve my dreams, so after high school I persuaded my parents to let me train under [B]Kotetsu Yamamoto[/B], the renowned lightweight trainer for [B]New Japan Pro [/B] [B]Wrestling[/B]. I worked very hard for two years, but when it came time to have a tryout, Inoki rejected me because of my size. Not letting that stop me, I have travelled to Canada and a smaller promotion in Japan to prove my mettle. One day I will come back and show [B]Antonio Inoki [/B] that good things really can come in small packages.

Wednesday, Week 2, November 1983 - UWF I'm back in Japan now and I see that I have another match with [B]Pierre [/B] [B]Lefebvre[/B]. [B]Akira Maeda [/B] is still giving me the cold shoulder, so I give him a polite hello and hope that he gets over this soon. It really wasn't my intention to offend him. [U][B]Match 12: Keiichi Yamada vs Pierre Lefebvre[/B][/U] Lefebvre must have been scouting me since I upset him last time we met, because this match is a very one-sided affair. I think I may have hit one dropkick the entire match. Lefebvre takes me out with a Leaping Piledriver at 9:00. [B]Rating: D[/B] As I slink to my locker to collect my stuff, Maeda comes by with a grin on his face. "Who's a future superstar now?" he asks. "Not me.", I think as I make my way out for a cab to the airport.

Thursday, Week 3, November 1983 - MLW Tonight, all three of the promotions I work for have shows, but [B]Maple Leaf [/B] [B]Wrestling[/B] is holding a special event, so I decide to go there. [B]UWF[/B] would just be embarassing after last night and I don't really feel ready to make a challenge to that [B]CSW[/B] title as a result. [U][B]Match 13: 3 vs 3 - Matt Borne, Killer Tim Brooks, Jacques Rougeau vs Keiichi Yamada, Raymond Rougeau, Mark Youngblood[/B][/U] I start off against Borne and manage to weaken him with palm thrusts, dropkicks and work to his legs on the ground. A flying palm thrust from the top has him scrambling for a tag and in comes Brooks. I decide to tag in Youngblood and in no time he's hitting Brooks with a Slingshot Sunset Flip and it's over without either Rougeau entering at 10:00. Rating: C Not the great showing we had earlier this week, but a least it's another win. And I've almost forgotten the beating I took from [B]Lefebvre[/B]. Almost.

Friday, Week 3, November 1983 - CSW When I arrive in Calgary, [B]Bruce Hart [/B] pulls me aside and sure enough, he saw the debacle in Japan earlier in the week. I pick up my bag in shame, thinking I must be fired but he stops me. He tells me not to worry, that it was just a minor setback, but that they want to hold off on [B]The Cobra [/B] feud for a little while. He explains that they have recently signed some new talent to stay competitive and everyone needs to step back a little so the new guys can get some exposure. He also mentions that the people in Calgary are having trouble pronouncing my name and would I mind taking on a nickname. I ask him what he has in mind and he suggests [B]"Flyin' Fuji" [/B] [B]Yamada[/B]. I'm not sure about it myself, but I just nod in agreement, happy to still have a job. Surprisingly he also tells me I've got the Main Event tonight! Three weeks in to my career and I'm about to headline a show as... [U][B]Match 14: Norvell Austin vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] I catch Austin doing an interview before our match to introduce himself to the fans and I can tell by the way he works them up that he's been around a little while. I psych myself up backstage and almost miss my entrance because I don't recognize my own name. Unfortunately, my debut as "Flyin' Fuji" does nothing to boost my confidence as Austin picks me apart for most of the match. Everytime I think I'm going to make a comeback, he beats me down again, finally putting me out of my misery with a Leaping Piledriver at 16:00. [B]Rating: C[/B] Bruce Hart tells me to give it time and I understand what he means, but it's hard to keep my spirits up as I head back to the aiport to head for Japan. By the way, [B]The Cobra [/B] successfully defended his title against another newcomer, [B]Joe Savoldi[/B].

Saturday, Week 3, November 1983 - UWF Back in Japan, I'm introduced to my opponent for the evening and my heart sinks... [U][B]Match 15: Keiichi Yamada vs One Man Gang[/B][/U] I wonder to myself if Maeda had any say in this booking as I walk to the ring to face a guy 3 if not 4 times my size. Predictably, I don't even get a move in as he clobbers me. My life flashes before my eyes as I see his massive girth high above me! He hits a 747 Splash at it's over at 4:00. [B]Rating: D[/B] Backstage, the Americans let me know that I have just experienced what is known as a "squash". I thank them for the English lesson and head back to the airport for Canada. I suppose it is a rite of passage but I don't want to get squashed too much more. That really hurt...

Archived