Jushin "Thunder" Lyger: The Innovator

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Friday, Week 3, December 1983 - CSW Thankfully I had no scheduled match for [B]CSW[/B] on Thursday. Gave me some time to heal up those pencil jab wounds from The Sheik. Now I'm back at the studio in Calgary for the [B]Stampede TV [/B] taping. [B]Davey Boy [/B] comes up as I enter the building to tell me we have our first title defense tonight. He also asks what I think of [B]East-West Express [/B] for our tag team name. Sounds good to me, let's hope we can hold on to the titles for a few weeks. [U][B]Match 37: Kung Fu & Ron Bass vs. East-West Express for the [COLOR=DarkRed]CSW International Tag Team titles[/COLOR][/B][/U] Lots of quick tags in this one and Davey and I really seem to be clicking as a team. Late in the match, I toss Kung Fu out and hit my Handspring Body Attack Suicida followed by a Rolling Romero Special and a roll in for a near fall. I tag in Davey Boy and we hit the Crash and Burn. Kung Fu won't stay down and he slips out of Smith's Running Powerslam and tags Bass in. Davey ducks Bass' shot and arm wringers him, tagging me back in for a Double Dropkick. As Bass gets to his feet, I hit the Running Enziguri and tag in Davey again. Bass manages to avoid our Decapitation Knee Drop and counters Davey's Swinging Full Nelson with an eye gouge, then a Bionic Elbow, Irish whip, low blow! Bass tries to use his rule-breaking tactics to keep the momentum but Smith avoids his head bite attempts and tags me in. Bass is confused as to who's legal and that gives me enough time to nail the Running Enziguri for a pin at 39:00. [B]Rating: C+[/B] First title defense! Let's hope the East-West Express can keep on rolling!

• 2 weeks later...
Sunday, Week 3, December 1983 - MLW I'm back in Eastern Canada for the [B]Maple Leaf [/B] show and I see I'll be facing a familiar face in [B]Tom Jones[/B]. This'll be our third singles match and we've each won one. [B][U]Match 38: Tom Jones vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/U][/B] The match is a pretty good one as about halfway through the action spills outside. A baseball slide, handspring moonsault, surfboard, body slam, palm thrust flurry combo from me has Jones reeling, but as I come off the apron with a somersault attack, he moves! He pounds me into the ringside floor with stomps, kicks, headbutts, bionic elbow flurries, and a brutal Running Headbutt that opens me up above my right eye. Jones tries another bionic elbow flurry but I avoid and nail him with a Running Enziguri from out of nowhere. I should roll him in for a pin, but I decide to go to the top and hit a beautiful Somersault Body Attack Suicida! I try to roll him back in, but he stops me and hits a mafia kick, another Running Headbutt, and a butt drop. I somehow manage to roll out of the way of a second butt drop and snap suplex him onto a chair. The referee warns me as I climb to the top again. Jones gets up just in time to take a flying palm thrust from me and I decide to risk the wrath of the referee by putting Jones on the announce table and climbing to the top once again. The fans are going wild as I sail through the air and crash down on Jones' prone body with a second Somersault Body Attack Suicida through the table. The referee seems as shocked as the fans because he doesn't even give me a warning as I roll Jones back in for the three at 16:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] Jones is in the dressing room as I come in and he gives me a big smile. He seems no worse for wear as he tells me, "We may not have been the main event tonight, but we sure as hell stole the show!"

Monday, Week 4, December 1983 - MLW Tonight's match isn't nearly as exciting as last night's, but Mark Youngblood and I tag well together and manage to put another one in the win column. [U][B]Match 39: Private Jim Nelson & Ken Mantell vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada & Mark Youngblood[/B][/U] This one is a pretty standard midcard tag match with me getting the pin on Nelson after a Running Enziguri at 28:00. [B]Rating: C[/B]

Tuesday, Week 4, December 1983 - UWF After a very rushed trip to the airport and a long flight back to Japan I arrive for the UWF show for a six-man tag match. [U][B]Match 40: Raymond Rougeau, Ken Shamrock, Super Leatherface vs. Manny Fernandez, Bugsy McGraw, Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] Again, not a spectacular match, but I get the win for my team after a bulldog lariat and a Running Enziguri on Rougeau at 17:00. [B]Rating: C[/B] Raymond and I rush out right after the match to catch another plane for Toronto. I wish I could get a tag match with Ultimo Dragon in UWF...

Wednesday, Week 4, December 1983 - MLW When Raymond and I get to the arena, his brother Jacques is waiting for us. He says, "We have a tag match tonight.", and at first I think he's talking to Raymond, but it turns out it's me! We'll be facing Ken Mantell and my old nemesis, Brian Adias. This ought to be a good one! [U][B]Match 41: Ken Mantell & Brian Adias vs. Jacques Rougeau & "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Jacques starts out and thanks to some fine teaming by Mantell and Adias, he gets into trouble early. He's pretty beat by the time he's able to make a tag and I come in to take on Adias. We go back and forth for awhile until he gains the upper hand with a series of scissors, elbows, and kneedrops. I figure it's time to take it outside and toss him through the ropes, following with a Plancha Dive. A Bulldog Lariat on a chair splits Brian's head and gets me a warning as I climb to the top to hit my trademark Somersault Body Attack Suicida! I roll him back in for the cover and somehow he manages to kick out. Crucifix Cradle, kick out! I'm exhausted as Adias blocks my Avalanche Brainbuster attempt and tags in Mantell. Rougeau calls for the tag and I'm more than happy to oblige as he beats the holy hell out of Mantell and hits a Clutch Hold Suplex for the pin at 24:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] A satisfying match, and since I've got three days off, I head to the motel for a satisfying sleep.

Sunday, Week 4, December 1983 - MLW It's New Year's Eve and while I should be at home visiting a shrine and praying for a prosperous 2004 with my family, I couldn't be happier to be in Ontario, doing what I love. This will be my last match for this year and I'll be facing my tag partner from three nights ago, [B]Jacques Rougeau[/B]. [B][U]Match 42: Jacques Rougeau vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/U][/B] I dominate Jacques for the early part of the match, but I try not to get overconfident as I've seen what he can do in the latter stages. I throw him out for some of my high risk, but I badly miscalculate a Somersault Body Attack Suicida and end up on the floor with the wind knocked out of me. Rougeau takes full advantage on the outside and I'm in serious trouble when he finally rolls me back in. I'm able to slip an attempted Full Nelson Clutch and surprise him with a Running Enziguri which gets a near fall. He avoids a second one and hits me with three consecutive double underhook suplexes to put me in a precarious position. He tries to Bulldog me, but in desperation, I slip out and lock on a Suastica Stretch. I will not let go and Jacques is forced to give up at 21:00. [B]Rating: C+[/B] So 1983 ends on a high note! Two months as a pro wrestler and I think I've improved tremendously. As I head back into the locker room, I notice a magazine on the bench next to my gear with a little bow on it. It's a copy of "Wrestling Observer" and there's a note attached from [B]Frank Tunney[/B]. "Happy New Year, Yamada! You're doing well here kid! Keep it up...and turn to page 23. -Frank Tunney" What could be on page 23?

The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review I open the magazine to page 23 and in the bottom left corner, there's a small box circled. I look closer and see a small photo of ME(!) flying off the top in a somersault at an MLW show! [I][B][U][COLOR=Red]Ones To Watch[/COLOR][/U][/B] Hailing from [B]Hiroshima, Japan[/B], [B]"Flyin' Fuji" Yamada [/B] is a star in the making. Just 19 years old, this high-flying lightweight has made a splash on the Canadian wrestling scene with his entertaining ring style and blatant disregard for his own body. Yamada can be seen in Eastern Canada's [B]Maple Leaf Wrestling[/B] and Western Canada's [B]Stampede[/B] on an almost nightly basis, sailing off the top turnbuckle to his opponent on the ringside floor (see photo). Current holder of [B]Stampede's Tag Team Titles [/B] with partner, [B]Davey Boy Smith[/B], this youngster, with a record of [B]14 wins and 5 losses[/B] in the month of [B]December[/B], ranks at [B][COLOR=Blue]#123 [/COLOR] [/B] on [B]The Wrestling Observer Top 500[/B]. He should be one to watch in 1984...if his body can stand the punishment![/I] My jaw almost hit the floor! #123 in the top 500! This has to be a mistake! There's no way I'm that good, but if the magazine says so, I'll do my best in the next year to prove that I can be.

• 2 weeks later...
The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review Well, wrestling fans, another year has ended, so it's time for your friendly neighborhood [B]Wrestling Observer [/B] to take a look at the champs and the chumps, the hirings and the firings, and the general state of affairs in the world of professional wrestling. [COLOR=Blue][U][B]The Good Old U.S.A.[/B][/U][/COLOR] We'll start here by taking a look at the big fish, the big three. [COLOR=Red][U][B]American Wrestling Association (AWA)[/B][/U][/COLOR] The biggest shocks of the past few months have been the departures of [B][I]Hulk Hogan[/I][/B] (signed by WWF, more on that later) and [B][I]Bruiser Brody [/I] [/B] (signed by CMLL). Hogan is seen as a rising star and the fact [B][I]Verne Gagne [/I] [/B] didn't see fit to hold on to the big, blonde Californian may turn out to be a mistake. Brody is also a sizeable loss due to his proven drawing power. On the title front, [B][I]Nick Bockwinkel [/I] [/B] lost his [B]AWA World Heavyweight[/B] championship to[B] [I]Baron Von Raschke [/I] [/B] in the fourth week of December, ending Bockwinkel's long reign. We'll surely see Nick making a strong effort to get his belt back in the coming months. [B][I]Billy Robinson [/I] [/B] is the current holder of the [B]AWA TV Title [/B] and shows no signs of slowing down after repelling all challengers so far. [B][I]The Sheiks [/I] [/B] continue to hold onto the [B]AWA World Tag [/B] straps, though the tag team scene hasn't been much to speak of lately. [B][I]Buck Zumhofe [/I] [/B] continues to hold the [B]AWA Light Heavyweight [/B] title (though he hasn't had a defense in the last two months!). [COLOR=Red][U][B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (MACW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] Not to many personnel changes in Charlotte, the most notable being the signing away of [I][B]Bob Orton Jr.[/B][/I] by WWF. [B][I]Harley Race [/I] [/B] continues his dominance of the [B]NWA World Heavyweight [/B] title, including a great match at [B]Starrcade[/B] against [B][I]Roddy Piper[/I][/B]. [B][I]Greg Valentine [/I] [/B] continues to hold the [B]United States Heavyweight[/B] championship, most recently defending against a strong challenge from [B][I]Angelo Mosca[/I][/B]. [I][B]Dory Funk Jr.[/B] [/I] has been the busiest singles champion, defending his [B]Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight [/B] title against all comers. On the tag team scene, [B][I]The Brisco Brothers [/I] [/B] still have the [B]NWA World Tag Teams[/B] straps, and haven't really seen any credible challengers in recent months. The [B]Mid-Atlantic U.S. Tag [/B] titles were awarded in a tournament to the odd combination of [B][I]Assassin #2 and Mark Youngblood[/I][/B], who have defended them successfully on three occassions. [COLOR=Red][U][B]World Wrestling Federation (WWF)[/B][/U][/COLOR] Vince McMahon's WWF has made a few waves in the wrestling industry by offering up previously unheard of written contracts to a few stars. [I][B]Hulk Hogan[/B][/I] (formerly AWA) is the biggest of these and it seems Mr. McMahon is banking on the recent movie fame of Hogan to bring his company up to the next level. Other big signings are [I][B]Ted Dibiase [/B] [/I] and [I][B]Bob Orton Jr.[/B][/I] (both written agreements), so everyone will be watching closely to see who else signs with the WWF. The title picture hasn't altered at all, though with the addition of Hogan and Dibiase, it's sure to change soon. [B][I]Bob Backlund [/I] [/B] has been defending the [B]WWF World Heavyweight [/B] strap in a series of decent matches against current [B]WWF Intercontinental[/B] champ, [B][I]Don Muraco[/I][/B]. Muraco has been challenged by [I][B]Ted Dibiase [/B] [/I] and we may see an [B]I-C title [/B] change in the near future. [B][I]The Wild Samoans [/I] [/B] are keeping the [B]WWF World Tag Team [/B] titles, though the popular team of [B][I]Ivan Putski and Tony Atlas [/I] [/B] may be closing in on them.

The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review Three promotions are currently challenging the dominance of the "Big Three" so let's take a look at the hottest competition. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Georgia Championship Wrestling (GCW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Jim Barnett's [/I] [/B] promotion suffered a fairly big loss in the signing of [B][I]Ted Dibiase [/I] [/B] to WWF, and are hoping recent acquisitions [B][I]Pedro Morales [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Jos Leduc [/I] [/B] can help to fill the gap. [B][I]Larry Zbyszko [/I] [/B] is the current [B]National Heavyweight [/B] champ and the company is on the hunt for a credible challenger. The team of [B][I]Ronnie Garvin and King Kong Bundy [/I] [/B] have won the [B]National Tag Team [/B] straps from [B][I]The Road Warriors [/I] [/B] as of late November, but look for the painted powerhouses to come back soon. [B][I]The Spoiler [/I] [/B] is the [B]National Television [/B] champion after defeating [B][I]Ronnie Garvin [/I] [/B] for the belt at the beginning of December, in their long running rivalry. [B][I]Bob Armstrong [/I] [/B] is The Spoiler's most recent challenger. And rounding out the title picture, [B][I]Les Thornton [/I] [/B] continues to hold the [B]GCW Junior Heavyweight [/B] title, not having many strong challenges recently. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Mid-South Wrestling (MSW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Bill Watt's [/I] [/B] Oklahoma promotion has been quite busy signing wrestlers, adding [B][I]Rick Martel[/I][/B], [B][I]The Mighty Igor[/I][/B], [B][I]Jos Leduc[/I][/B], and [B][I]Dick Murdoch [/I] [/B] to their roster. [B][I]The Junkyard Dog [/I] [/B] continues to hold the [B]North American Heavyweight[/B] title, defending recently against the likes of [B][I]Kamala[/I][/B] and [B][I]Ernie Ladd[/I][/B], to name a few. The [B]Mid-South Television [/B] title has been changing hands on a monthly basis, with [B][I]Terry Taylor [/I] [/B] the current champ, having beaten [B][I]Jim Duggan [/I] [/B] for the belt in mid-December. [I][B]Mr. Wrestling II & Magnum T.A.[/B][/I] haven't been too busy defending their [B]Mid-South Tag Team [/B] championship, but they did have a good match with [B][I]The Midnight Express [/I] [/B] a few weeks back. [COLOR=Red][U][B]World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Fritz Von Erich's [/I] [/B] Texas promotion is feeling the loss of [B][I]Bruiser Brody[/I][/B], but are hopeful that the additions of [B][I]Jos Leduc[/I][/B], [B][I]Nikolai Volkoff[/I][/B], and [B][I]Angelo Mosca [/I] [/B] can help take away some of the sting. [B][I]Abdullah the Butcher [/I] [/B] is the current [B]WCCW Texas Heavyweight [/B] champion, having finally defeated [B][I]David Von Erich [/I] [/B] at the end of December. [B][I]The Fabulous Freebirds [/I] [/B] ([B][I]Terry Gordy & Michael Hayes[/I][/B]) continue to hold the [B]WCCW Texas Tag Team [/B] straps, having recently repelled a strong challenge from [I][B]David & Kevin Von Erich[/B][/I]. Former partners [B][I]Chris Adams [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Gino Hernandez [/I] [/B] are currently battling over the [B]WCCW Television [/B] title in an entertaining feud. [B][I]Adams[/I][/B] has the title at present. And finally, [B][I]The Freebirds [/I] [/B] continue to hold the [B]WCCW Six Man Tag Team [/B] titles, though it has been quite some time since the titles were defended.

The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review Moving on to the second tier, we now take a look at the regional promotions throughout the U.S.. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Central States (CSTATE)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Bob Geigel's [/I] [/B] promotion out of Kansas City has seen a couple of important signings in the past few months, most notably Japanese star [B][I]Tatsumi Fujinami[/I][/B], who promptly won the TV title in his first match with the company. Other notables include current tag champs, [B][I]Tetsuo Sekigawa[/I][/B] and [B][I]Ken Timbs [/I] [/B] as well as veteran, [B][I]Tony Garea[/I][/B]. [B][I]Harley Race [/I] [/B] won the [B]Central States Heavyweight [/B] title from [B][I]Tully Blanchard [/I] [/B] at the end of November and shows no signs of losing it soon. As mentioned above, the [B]Central States Tag Team [/B] straps were won by [B][I]Tetsuo Sekigawa and Ken Timbs [/I] [/B] from [B][I]Bob Brown and Buzz Tyler [/I] [/B] only a week ago. And [B][I]Tatsumi Fujinami [/I] [/B] has been defending the [B]Central States Television [/B] title against all comers since defeating [B][I]Roger Kirby [/I] [/B] for the belt in mid-November. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Championship Wrestling Association (CWA)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Ken Timbs [/I] [/B] is the only newcomer of note in [B][I]Jerry Jarrett's [/I] [/B] Memphis area. Booker [B][I]Jerry Lawler [/I] [/B] continues to hold the [B]AWA Southern Heavyweight [/B] title, to no one's surprise, most recently defending it against [B][I]Steve Keirn[/I][/B]. [B][I]Austin Idol [/I] [/B] has been a busy [B]AWA International[/B] champion, defending his belt nearly every week, lately in a feud with [B][I]Norvell Austin[/I][/B]. [B][I]The Fabulous Ones [/I] [/B] ([B][I]Stan Lane & Steve Keirn[/I][/B]) defended their [B]Southern Tag Team [/B] titles against [B][I]Bill Dundee[/I][/B] and [B][I]Jerry Lawler [/I] [/B] in their most recent match. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Eddie Graham's [/I] [/B] Florida promotion has been joined by [B][I]Tatsumi Fujinami[/I][/B] and it should only be a matter of time before the Japanese sensation captures some gold. The satanic [B][I]Kevin Sullivan [/I] [/B] continues to dominate the region with his evil minions, defending his [B]Florida Heavyweight [/B] title multiple times against [B][I]Blackjack Mulligan [/I] [/B] and both members of the [B][I]U.S. Express[/I][/B]. [B][I]Sullivan[/I][/B] and partner, [B][I]Pak Song [/I] [/B] have captured the [B]CWF Heavyweight Tag Team [/B] straps in a tournament in mid-November, defeating the [B][I]U.S. Express [/I] [/B] in the final. Look for a long running feud between these two teams! [B][I]Superstar Billy Graham [/I] [/B] is the [B]CWF Television [/B] champion, having beaten [B][I]Barry Windham [/I] [/B] in early November, and defended several times since against a variety of opponents.

The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review And finally on the U.S. scene, a look at the smaller promotions. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Pacific Northwest (PNW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Don Owen's [/I] [/B] outfit out of Portland continues to plug away for a strong local following. Recent signings include [B][I]Hercules Ayala[/I][/B], [B][I]Mando Guerrero[/I][/B], [B][I]Ken Mantell [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Bob Della Serra[/I][/B]. [B][I]Don Running Bear [/I] [/B] holds the [B]PNW Heavyweight [/B] title, having beaten [B][I]Art Crews [/I] [/B] in a tournament final to capture the vacant strap. His biggest challenger at the moment is [B][I]Scotty the Body[/I][/B]. [B][I]Rip Oliver & The Assassin [/I] [/B] hold the [B]PNW Heavyweight Tag Team [/B] titles. [B][I]Joe Malenko [/I] [/B] is the [B]PNW Television [/B] champ. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Southwest Championship Wrestling (SWCW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] Not much to speak of in terms of hirings and firings for [B][I]Joe Blanchard's [/I] [/B] promotion. [B][I]Dick Slater [/I] [/B] is the current [B]Southwest Heavyweight [/B] champ, having defeated [B][I]Luke Williams [/I] [/B] for the title in early November. The [B]Southwest Tag Team [/B] champions are [B][I]Ninja Warrior & Scott Casey [/I] [/B] who won a tournament for the titles in early November. The [B]Southwest Television [/B] title is currently held by young rookie [B][I]Shawn Michaels [/I] [/B] who won it from [B][I]Duke Myers [/I] [/B] two weeks back. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Polynesian Pro Wrestling (PPW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Peter Maivia's [/I] [/B] Hawaiian promotion is attracting the regulars and the odd tourist. Recent signings include [B][I]Dan Severn[/I][/B], [B][I]Barry Orton[/I][/B], and [B][I]Todd Tomko[/I][/B]. [B][I]Rocky Johnson [/I] [/B] holds the [B]Polynesian Pacific [/B] title after beating booker [B][I]Lars Anderson [/I] [/B] for it in early November. [B][I]The Samoan Swat Team [/I] [/B] are the [B]Polynesian Pacific Tag Team [/B] champions. [U][COLOR=Red][B]Southeastern Championship Wrestling (SECW)[/B][/COLOR][/U] [B][I]Ron Fuller's [/I] [/B] little promotion is holding on in a tough market. Recent signings include [B][I]Dan Severn[/I][/B], [B][B][I]Solar[/I][/B][/B], and [B][I]Terry Adonis[/I][/B]. [B]Alabama Heavyweight [/B] champion [B][I]Mr. Olympia [/I] [/B] continues to defend his title against all comers. The Armstrong family are doing well as mainstays, with [B][I]Bob Armstrong [/I] [/B] holding the [B]Southeastern Heavyweight [/B] strap and sons [B][I]Brad & Scott Armstrong[/I][/B] keeping the [B]Southeastern Tag Team [/B] belts. And that's how things look in the U.S. wrestling scene at the end of 1983.

The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review Moving on to the rest of the wrestling world, we take a look first at the scene... [B][U][COLOR=Blue]North of the Border - Canada[/COLOR][/U][/B] Three promotions of varying sizes make up the wrestling landscape here. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Maple Leaf Wrestling (MLW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] The biggest of the three known Canadian promotions, [B][I]Frank Tunney's [/I] [/B] Eastern Canada company hasn't seen too much in the way of changes over the past few months. The only notable signings are those of [B][I]Toru Tanaka [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Tetsuo Sekigawa[/I][/B]. [B][I]The Sheik [/I] [/B] continues to hold the [B]NWA Canadian Heavyweight [/B] title defending in recent months against the likes of [B][I]Tiger Jeet Singh[/I][/B], [B][I]Bobo Brazil[/I][/B], and [B][I]Rick Martel[/I][/B]. The [B]Canadian Open Tag Team [/B] straps are held by [B][I]Gino Brito & Tony Parisi[/I][/B], who haven't seen any credible challengers recently. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Calgary Stampede Wrestling (CSW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Stu Hart's [/I] [/B] Calgary outfit enjoys a strong following in Western Canada and the promotion really is a family affair. Recently signed talent includes [B][I]Eric Embry [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Eddie Gilbert[/I][/B]. [B][I]Bad News Allen [/I] [/B] is the current holder of the [B]CSW North American Heavyweight [/B] title, while the company seems to be struggling to find a suitable challenger. The [B]British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight [/B] belt is held by [B][I]Kung Fu[/I] [/B] who won the title from [B][I]The Cobra [/I] [/B] in mid-November. [B][I]East-West Express [/I] [/B] ([I][B]"Flyin' Fuji" Yamada & Davey Boy Smith[/B][/I]) are the current [B]CSW International Tag Team [/B] champs, having won the title from [B][I]Leo Burke & The Cuban Assassin [/I] [/B] in mid-December. [COLOR=Red][U][B]All-Star Wrestling (ASW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Al Tomko's [/I] [/B] tiny Vancouver promotion doesn't make a whole lot of money, but by all accounts has a rabid fan base. They have been quite busy signing new wrestlers to their roster, including [B][I]Tony Anthony[/I][/B], [B][I]Ron Bass[/I][/B], [B][I]Ken Mantell[/I][/B], [B][I]Scott Casey [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Scott McGee[/I][/B]. [B][I]David Schultz [/I] [/B] is the [B]Canadian Heavyweight [/B] champion for the second time in as many months, trading the strap with [B][I]Moose Morowski[/I][/B]. The team of [B][I]Igor Volkoff and Honky Tonk Man [/I] [/B] are the [B]Canadian Heavyweight Tag Team [/B] champions, having won a tournament for the vacant titles in early November. The [B]All-Star Television [/B] title remains vacant pending an upcoming decision.

Moving on to warmer climes, we go... [COLOR=Blue][B][U]South of the Border - Mexico[/U][/B][/COLOR] The land of lucha libre also has three promotions to speak of (though one is not strictly in Mexico). [COLOR=Red][U][B]Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL)[/B][/U][/COLOR] Certainly the most popular promotion in the region, CMLL has also recently scored a major coup in signing [B][I]Bruiser Brody [/I] [/B] to a written contract. It will be intersting to see how the wildman fits into the plans of the [B][I]Lutteroths[/I][/B]. [B][I]Mil Mascaras [/I] [/B] is enjoying a fine run as [B]NWA World Middleweight [/B] champion, having captured the vacant title in early November. Recent challenges have come from [B][I]Canek[/I][/B] and [B][I]El Gran Markus[/I][/B]. Mascaras is undefeated in 21 matches in the past two months, to give an idea of how soon he may lose his belt. The [B]NWA World Lightweight [/B] title was recently put around the waist of [B][I]Chavo Guerrero Sr[/I][/B]., who has had challenges from relatives [B][I]Mando[/I][/B] and [B][I]Hector[/I][/B] lately. The [B]CMLL World Tag Team [/B] titles are currently vacant. [COLOR=Red][U][B]World Wrestling Council (WWC)[/B][/U][/COLOR] Though actually not in Mexico, [B][I]Carlos Colon's [/I] [/B] ultraviolent promotion has enough Latin flavor to warrant it's inclusion in the region. The loss of [B][I]Bruiser Brody[/I][/B], who seemed a perfect fit in the organization may be painful. [B][I]Carlos Colon [/I] [/B] is the [B]Universal Heavyweight[/B] champ, having defended recently in bloodbaths against [B][I]Abdullah the Butcher[/I][/B]. [B][I]Pedro Morales [/I] [/B] holds the [B]WWC North American Heavyweight [/B] title, his strongest challenge coming from [B][I]The Mighty Igor[/I][/B]. The [B]WWC Puerto Rican Heavyweight [/B] title is around the waist of [B][I]Bob Sweetan [/I] [/B] and hasn't been contested recently. The same goes for the [B]WWC World Tag Team [/B] titles which seem to be gathering dust in the possesion of [B][I]The Invaders[/I][/B]. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Universal Wrestling Association (UWA)[/B][/U][/COLOR] The [B][I]Flores [/I] [/B] family's tiny promotion is working hard to compete against the bigger companies and have recently signed [B][I]Lanny Poffo[/I][/B], [B][I]Bobby Jaggers[/I][/B], and [B][I]Al Perez [/I] [/B] to beef up their roster. [B][I]Dr. Wagner [/I] [/B] recently took the [B]UWA World Middleweight [/B] strap from [B][I]Gran Hamada[/I][/B]. [B][I]Akio Sato [/I] [/B] is the [B]UWA World Lightweight [/B] champion, having beaten [I][B]Dr. Wagner Jr.[/B][/I] for the belt two weeks back. The formidable [B][I]Brothers of the Mask [/I] [/B] ([B][I]Mil Mascaras & Dos Caras[/I][/B]) hold the [B]UWA World Tag Team [/B] titles having won them from [B][I]Black Man & Solar [/I] [/B] in early December.

The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review That takes care of North America so let's travel across the Pacific and look at... [COLOR=Blue][U][B]The Land of the Rising Sun - Japan[/B][/U][/COLOR] Two major promotions to cover here, and one tiny upstart. [COLOR=Red][U][B]All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Giant Baba's [/I] [/B] promotion has a talented roster and though they have lost Bruiser Brody, they have also added [B][I]The Masked Superstar, Pak Song, Rusher Kimura, Animal Hamaguchi[/I] [/B] and [B][I]El Solitario [/I] [/B] to help fill the void. [B][I]Giant Baba [/I] [/B] continues to repel all challengers for his [B]PWF Heavyweight[/B] title recently defeating [B][I]The Destroyer, Genichiro Tenryu [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Ric Flair[/I][/B]. [B][I]Terry Funk [/I] [/B] captured the [B]NWA International Heavyweight [/B] belt from [B][I]Bruiser Brody [/I] [/B] in Brody's last match with the company. The [B]NWA International Junior Heavyweight [/B] championship is held by [B][I]Chavo Guerrero Sr[/I].[/B] though there hasn't been much action in that weight class of late. [B]NWA International Tag Team [/B] champs [B][I]Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta [/I] [/B] recently fought off a strong challenge from [B][I]Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody[/I][/B] to retain the titles. [COLOR=Red][U][B]New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Antonio Inoki's [/I] [/B] promotion continues to challenge AJPW for top spot in the land of puroresu and have signed [B][I]Stan Hansen, The Masked Superstar, Dick Murdoch, King Kong Bundy [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Mighty Inoue [/I] [/B] to make up for the loss of [B][I]Hulk Hogan[/I][/B]. [B][I]Antonio Inoki [/I] [/B] (shades of Giant Baba) continues to hold the [B]NWF World Heavyweight [/B] title against challenges from [B][I]Tiger Jeet Singh [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Killer Khan[/I][/B]. The [B]IWGP Tag Team [/B] straps are still around the waists of UK stars, [B][I]The British Bulldogs[/I][/B]. Both the [B]WWF International [/B] and [B]WWF Junior Heavyweight [/B] titles are in transition at the moment and remain vacant. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Universal Pro-Wrestling (UWF)[/B][/U][/COLOR] The wildcard on the Japanese scene is [B][I]Hisashi Shinma's [/I] [/B] little operation, seen as an entry point for those hoping to break into the country. Recent signings include [B][I]Matt Borne, El Satanico, El Gran Apollo [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Lizmark[/I][/B]. [B][I]Akira Maeda [/I] [/B] continues to dominate the competition for his [B]Universal International Heavyweight [/B] title. [B][I]Lizmark[/I] [/B] captured the [B]Universal Light Heavyweight [/B] belt from [B][I]Masahiro Chono [/I] [/B] at the beginning of December. The [B]Universal International Tag Team [/B] titles were won in a tournament by [B][I]Super Leatherface and Fit Finlay[/I][/B].

The Wrestling Observer - 1983 Year in Review Finally, we take another couple of trips across the ocean to check out the U.K. and Australia. [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Across the Pond - United Kingdom[/U][/B][/COLOR] Only two promotions here, one major and one minor. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Joint Promotions (JPUK)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Max Crabtree's [/I] [/B] organization continues to be the dominant force in the U.K. with recent additions [B][I]John Quinn, Tony St. Clair, Wayne Bridges[/I][/B] and [B][I]Mark Rocco [/I] [/B] helping to bolster an already strong roster. [B][I]Johnny Saint [/I] [/B] is the current [B]World Light Heavyweight [/B] champion challenged recently by [B][I]Kendo Nagasaki [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Jackie Pallo[/I][/B]. [B][I]Fit Finlay [/I] [/B] defeated [B][I]Dave Bond [/I] [/B] at the end of December to capture the [B]World Mid-Heavyweight [/B] title. The [B]British Lightweight [/B] belt is around the waist [B][I]Tony Charles [/I] [/B] as of mid-December when he won it from [B][I]Jon Cortez[/I][/B]. The [B]World Of Sport Tag Team [/B] straps are still in the possession of The [B][I]Caribbean Sunshine Boys [/I] [/B] ([B][I]Johnny Kincaid & Dave Bond[/I][/B]). [COLOR=Red][U][B]All Star Wrestling (ASWUK)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Brian Dixon's [/I] [/B] promotion is struggling to keep up with Joint, but still manages to put on a good show. Recent signings include [B][I]Tatsumi Fujinami[/I][/B] and [B][I]Sweet Daddy Siki[/I][/B]. Current [B]European Middleweight [/B] champion is [B][I]Terry Jowett [/I] [/B] who defeated [B][I]Tatsumi Fujinami [/I] [/B] to grab the title. [B]British Empire/Commonwealth Middleweight [/B] champ [B][I]Tony St. Clair [/I] [/B] has faced strong challenges from [B][I]Mark Rocco [/I] [/B] in recent weeks. [B][I]Marty Jones [/I] [/B] continues to hold the [B]British Light Heavyweight [/B] title against all comers. The [B]ASWUK Tag Team [/B] titles are currently vacant. [COLOR=Blue][U][B]The Land Down Under - Australia[/B][/U][/COLOR] Only one promotion in the land of kangaroos and koalas. [COLOR=Red][U][B]World Championship Wrestling (WCW)[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B][I]Larry O'Day's [/I] [/B] promotion has the luxury of operating in an area without competition but that hasn't stopped him from trying to bolster his roster with the likes of [B][I]Jim Breaks, Marty Jones, John Quinn, Ken Lucas, Alan Kilby, Tony Parisi,[/I][/B] and [B][I]Clive Myers[/I][/B]. [B][I]Ripper Collins [/I] [/B] is the current [B]NWA Australasian Heavyweight [/B] champ and has put on some decent defenses against [B][I]Larry O'Day [/I] [/B] and [B][I]Ron Miller[/I][/B]. The [B]NWA Australasian Tag Team [/B] titles are currently vacant. And there you have it, wrestling fans. That's way the world looks at the end of 1983. We hope you found it to be an informative guide to the current state of the squared circle. Be sure to look for our Quarterly Report in three months time!

Career Update This career was originally started with the DOTT 1.3 mod (Ah, the memories!), but I have just finished updating to version 3.2. This entailed going through the database and editing champions as well as major personnel changes to every roster and restarting the game in January 1984. The timing and payscales of Yamada's current contracts were impossible to set perfectly since they are randomly generated, but I'm not too bothered about it. I have done my best to make them as close as possible. Due to increased overness, Yamada has also had a bank account boost so all the sticklers out there can think of it as a lottery win, a loan from the folks, or a performance bonus. So with all the explanation out of the way, on to the stats (with increases shown from start of career). [U][B]Overness[/B] [/U] USA 0 Canada 20 (+20) Mexico 0 Japan 6 (+6) [U][B]Skills and Abilities[/B] [/U] Spirit 27 (+27) Power 31 (+1) Technique 56 (+9) Speed 73 Psych 80 (+15) Stamina 51 (+6) Toughness 63 (+8) Charisma 66 (+4) Microphone 50 (+10) Safety 70 (+10) Looks 73 Respect 8 (+8) *I also added Booking Skill of 70 on the strength of Lyger's fine booking of the Super Junior division of New Japan in the 90's. Though I doubt this will affect the career in any way. [U][B]Move Modifications [/B][/U] Avalanche Brainbuster Corner Running Palm Thrust (dropped Corner Handstand Takedown) Rebound Palm Thrust (dropped Backdrop) Lyger Inverted Piledriver (modified Inverted Piledriver with lower strength requirement and considerably lower success and frequency rate) Powerbomb Rolling Romero Special (dropped Knee Bar) Hammerlock Inverted Surfboard (changed from Finisher to High with lowered stats) Second Rope Dropkick [I]*Note: Due to move tweaks in the mod, Yamada is currently unable to perform Running Enziguri, Running Lyger Bomb and several other moves that were possible before the update. (Thanks for that guys! ;) )[/I] [U][B]Contracts [/B] [/U] [B]Maple Leaf Wrestling [/B] - Lower Midcarder - $50 per appearance - 5 months remaining [B]Calgary Stampede Wrestling [/B] - Midcarder - $100 per appearance - 2 months remaining Current CSW International Tag Team champion with Davey Boy Smith as East-West Express Feuding with Kung Fu [B]Universal Pro-Wrestling [/B] - Opener - $25 per appearance - 2 months remaining Tag Team partner with Ultimo Dragon as Young Dragons [U][B]Relationships[/B][/U] Since Lyger was trained by Kotetsu Yamamoto, I have added that as a Protege relationship. Davey Boy Smith (Friend) Ultimo Dragon (Friend) Giant Haystacks (Friend) Phil Lafon (Friend) Tom Jones (Friend) [U][B]Match Record (1983)[/B][/U] 42 Matches 24 Wins [U]18 Losses[/U] Win Percentage 57% [U][B]Feuds[/B][/U] "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada vs. Brian Adias (MLW) 2 Wins 0 Losses [U][B]House Rules[/B][/U] Inspired by Socko, I have adopted the following house rules for this career. 1. Can only speak to one worker backstage per show. 2. Cannot ask for psychology or microphone tips. 3. Can only form tag teams with workers that I have a "Friend" relationship with. 4. Can only work for two promotions at a given time and both must be in different countries. To this end, I plan to drop my contract with MLW or CSW when one of those companies offers an extension. 5. Can only approach promotions for work when I have a "Friend" relationship with one of their workers. So that's where everything stands. From here on out I may update a week at a time so I can play at a slightly faster pace. Now on with 1984! :D

Week 1, January 1984 (Monday-Thursday) [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Monday - MLW[/B][/U][/COLOR] It's the start of a new year and I'm in Toronto for the [B]Maple Leaf Express [/B] show. Backstage, I'm introduced to a new guy in the promotion and told that [B]Private Jim Nelson [/B] and I will be facing him and [B]Iron Mike Sharpe [/B] in a tag match early in the card. [U][B]Match 43: Iron Mike Sharpe & Sabu vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada & Private Jim Nelson[/B][/U] Nelson and I take it to the bad guy team and they're in serious trouble when I connect with a Frog Splash on Sharpe. He kicks out so I tag in Nelson. He beats down Sharpe, forcing him to tag in the tired rookie, Sabu. A couple of high impact moves later, Nelson whips Sabu into the corner and tags me in. I hoist Sabu onto the top turnbuckle, wrap my arm around his neck and fall back with a Super DDT to end the match at 25:00. [B]Rating:[/B] [COLOR=Red][B]B-[/B][/COLOR] Definitely a good start to the year! [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Tuesday[/B][/U][/COLOR] Nothing scheduled so a nice time to relax and catch a movie. I decide to see "[B]Sudden Impact[/B]". Dirty Harry is very cool! [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Wednesday - MLW[/B][/U][/COLOR] We're in Hamilton tonight and I get a chance to chat with [B]Sabu[/B] backstage. It turns out that his uncle is [B]The Sheik[/B]! I hope he doesn't pick up too many pencil jabbing habits before I have to face him again. Mid-card tonight, I have a match with my old nemesis. [U][B]Match 44: Brian Adias vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Adias seems to have been working out since we last met, because he comes on very strong from the start of the match. With great effort, I get back in to the match and am firmly in control after a rebound palm thrust. However, Adias is ready for my Frog Splash and rolls out of the way. With me gasping for breath, he locks on the Figure 4, but I won't give up! I slip out of his next attempt and execute a Release German Suplex. As I go for the cover, Adias surprises me with a small package for a near fall and as I get up, he does a perfect Slingshot Sunset Flip to get the pin at 13:00. [B]Rating:[/B] [B][COLOR=Red]C[/COLOR][/B] Losing to [B]Brian Adias [/B] definitely does not make my day! [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Thursday - CSW[/B][/U][/COLOR] [B]Bruce Hart [/B] doesn't have anything for me tonight so I chat with [B]Johnny Smith [/B] and watch as [B]Kung Fu [/B] defends his [B]British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight [/B] title against [B]Doug Furnas[/B].

Week 1, January 1984 (Friday-Sunday) [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Friday - CSW[/B][/U][/COLOR] Back in Alberta for the CSW show I find I'll be in a 4 on 4 match tonight, with my opponents to include my current feud, Kung Fu. I chat a little with Owen Hart and then it's match time. [U][B]Match 45: The Cobra, Eric Embry, Johnny Smith, Kung Fu vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada, Phil Lafon, Doug Furnas, Leatherface[/B][/U] My team pretty much dominates the entire match, thanks mostly to the power of Leatherface. The finish comes with Johnny Smith and I in the ring. I whip him into the corner and nail him with a rolling wheel kick. As he staggers out of the corner, I come off the ropes with a running palm thrust and then hook him up for an Avalance Brainbuster and the pin at 24:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Saturday - UWF[/B][/U][/COLOR] I talk to Riki Chosyu backstage and then get set for a pretty run of the mill match with a guy I've faced quite a few times in the last few months. [U][B]Match 46: Ken Shamrock vs. Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] Not a terribly exciting match, but I get the win with a Rolling Romero Special at 12:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Sunday - UWF[/B][/U][/COLOR] I just can't bring myself to get on a plane, so I call Frank Tunney and tell him I won't be able to make it back for the MLW show. He seems pretty understanding, but also reminds me that there are plenty of guys on the roster willing to take my spot. I need to do some serious thinking in the next couple of weeks about where I want to be. This current travel schedule is killing me. I'm given a match at the UWF show and backstage I say hello to Akira Maeda. He seems to warming a little, which is good news. [U][B]Match 47: Fit Finlay & Keiichi Yamada vs. Ultimo Dragon & Matt Borne[/B][/U] I wish Shinma would book me and Ultimo as a team, but what can you do? This match isn't stellar either, but my team picks up the win as Finlay pins Borne with a British Piledriver at 17:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C[/COLOR][/B] The first week of January has gone by and I'm back on a plane for Toronto. I've had so many meals on this airline that I could tell you what they serve on any given day of the week.

Week 2, January 1983 (Monday-Wednesday) [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Monday - MLW[/B][/U][/COLOR] We're in Sarnia tonight and it's a Six Man Tag for me. [U][B]Match 48: Sabu, Mark Youngblood, Iron Mike Sharpe vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada, Private Jim Nelson, Tom Jones[/B][/U] Nearing the end of the match, Nelson comes on strong and beats the living hell out of Youngblood. He manages to make the tag to Sabu, who is already showing some improvement as he gives me a good fight. I tag in Jones, who absolutely manhandles Sabu for two minutes before nailing him with the Running Headbutt for the pin at 15:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]D[/COLOR][/B] I'm pretty disappointed with how the match went. Even though my team picked up the win, the crowd seemed a little bored by it all. I decide to ask Tunney for Wednesday night off and head for Calgary. [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Tuesday[/B][/U][/COLOR] Nothing on the schedule. [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Wednesday - CSW[/B][/U][/COLOR] Tonight's Stampede show is in Edmonton and [B]Bruce Hart [/B] has seen fit to reward my coming with the main event on the card! [U][B]Match 49: Larry Cameron vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Cameron is a big, tough brawler so my arsenal is a little limited, but I do my best to impress the fans. My quickness works to my advantage and though Cameron has done a lot of damage, I'm in control of the match. A series of rapid fire dropkicks puts him down on the mat, but he has the presence of mind to avoid my handspring moonsault and attack with a series of kicks and elbows that have me on the ropes. Not about to give in, I slip his next big move attempt and hit him with a running palm thrust, staggering the big man. A second running palm off the ropes puts him down and I climb the turnbuckles and land a Frog Splash! One...two...KUNG FU! My current nemesis pulls the referee's leg and as the ref is admonishing him, Cameron slams my face into the mat, opening my forehead up. I manage to counter with a running dropkick, but my second Frog Splash attempt is way off. Cameron tries to finish me, but I hook my legs around him for a Crucifix Cradle. Unfortunately, he's ready for it and he slams me straight back to the canvas. I'm too weak to kick out at 22:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B-[/COLOR][/B] Not a win, but judging by the response of the crowd, a pretty good show. Can't wait to get my hands on [B]Kung Fu[/B]!

Week 2, January 1984 (Thursday-Sunday) [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Thursday - CSW[/B][/U][/COLOR] Today is somewhat of a milestone for me. My [B]50th match [/B] and my first singles title match to boot! I'm really excited about tonight as I get dressed. [B]Hiroshi Hase [/B] comes by to offer me some encouragement with a big "Ganbatte!" That means "Go for it!" in Japanese. [B]Kung Fu [/B] had better watch out! [U][B]Match 50: [COLOR=Red]Kung Fu [/COLOR] ([I]Champion[/I]) vs. [COLOR=Red]"Flyin' Fuji" Yamada [/COLOR] ([I]Challenger[/I]) for the [COLOR=Green]British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Title[/COLOR][/B][/U] Kung Fu must know I'm upset about his interference last night, because he comes on strong in the opening minutes, hitting me hard and fast and countering everything I throw at him. I manage to get back into the match with a series of hard knife edge chops, working his legs every time he goes down. Kung Fu retaliates with various kicks, but a springboard dropkick and a running palm thrust from me get him reeling. A sries of rapid fire dropkicks put him down again and I throw in a snap suplex for good measure before climbing to the top. He avoids my flying palm and goes up himself to hit a flying knee, followed by series of elbow drops. I'm ready for his slingshot knee drop though, and roll away as he lands hard on the canvas. Sensing an opportunity, I try to lock on the Rolling Romero Special, but he slips out and whips me into the corner for a triple kick combination. He goes for the slingshot kneedrop again, and again I'm ready for it. As he staggers to his feet, I hit a running dropkick and quickly climb the turnbuckles. My Frog Splash connects! One...two...thr...Kick Out! I'm in shock as I try to roll him up in a small package, which he slips, kicking me in the head. This time I can't avoid the slingshot kneedrop and as I try to stagger to my feet, Kung Fu nails me with a Ground Roundhouse Kick, knocking me cold for the win at 15:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] I'm a little too groggy to be disappointed as I get helped back to the dressing room. [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Friday - CSW[/B][/U][/COLOR] I'm still trying to shake the cobwebs as I arrive at the gynasium for tonight's show. [B]Stu Hart [/B] asks if I'm feeling OK, and I lie. He says "Good, 'cause I've got a big spot for ya on tonight's card." I find out I'll be facing one of the toughest men in the CSW locker room, [B]The Mongolian Stomper[/B], in tonight's main event! I try not to groan as I head for the dressing room. I feel like I've got something to prove tonight, but I don't know if I'm in any shape to prove it. [U][B]Match 51: The Mongolian Stomper vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] My head's really not in the match for the first few minutes and Stomper's just too damn strong. I do the only thing I can do in a situation like this, and as he comes at me close to the ropes, I use my speed and his momentum to toss him through the ropes to the ringside floor. I mount the turnbuckles and fly off the top with a palm thrust that seems to surprise him. The referee decides to let us go on the outside for awhile and as Stomper keeps trying to find some kind of weapon, I attack with a series of hard running palm thrusts to get him reeling. He counters me and bodyslams me on a chair, to a warning from the ref, and proceeds to apply a Grounded Iron Claw. The fans are booing him and as he turns his attention to them, I get to my feet. The fans cheer and as Stomper turns, I nail him with a running palm, and another and another! A high cross body puts him down and I climb on to the apron. I miss my apron dive somersault and as I lie on the ringside mats, Stomper shows me exactly where he got his nickname. Stomp after stomp land on my head, chest, well pretty much everywhere. He runs at me with a mafia kick, but I manage to duck it and as he turns around, I hit him with a desperation running dropkick. He's winded and I climb to the top off the turnbuckles to the gasps of the fans as I sail off the top with a Somersault Body Attack Suicida! Struggling, I roll Stomper back into the ring and make a weak cover. He kicks out and I try for a Crucifix Cradle which he counters, nailing me with a running body smash, and further cementing his nickname with more stomps. In desperation, I roll out of the ring and he follows to inflict more punishment. He picks me up for a Leaping Piledriver, but I use my last remaining strength to lift him over my back, leaving him flat on the floor. An apron dive somersault connects, and I wait for him to struggle to his feet. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I hit him with a running palm, knocking him onto the announcers table. Ed Whalen is chattering excitedly in the mic as I scale the the turnbuckles once more. The ref tells me not to do it, but I've come too far. The gym falls silent as I steel myself and fly from the top, somersaulting with a Body Attack Suicida onto the prone Mongolian Stomper. The table explodes and the fans erupt as I drag him back into the ring, barely hearing the referee's scolding, and make the cover. One...two...three! I have done it at 24:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B[/COLOR][/B] As I stagger to the back, [B]Stu Hart [/B] is waiting. "Now that, son, was a main event match...But you break anymore damn tables and it's coming out of your pay!" [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Saturday & Sunday - UWF[/B][/U][/COLOR] I make my way back to Japan for the UWF shows, but I'm not booked. Probably since [B]Shinma[/B] saw me taking my shirt off in the dressing room and noticed that I'm absolutely black and blue. Just as well, I suppose. I chat with [B]Ultimo Dragon [/B] and [B]Tatsumi Fujinami [/B] and make my way to my parent's home for a rest. There's a message from[B] Tunney [/B] when I get there, and I return his call. He tells me he saw my match with [B]The Mongolian Stomper [/B] and thinks it would be best if I took next week off from [B]MLW[/B]. I try to protest, but it hurts to breathe. I thank him for his concern and hang up before falling into bed.

Archived