Jushin "Thunder" Lyger: The Innovator

Sunday, Week 3, November 1983 - MLW I'm back at the studio in Toronto for the TV taping, still hurting from the beating I took from [B]One Man Gang [/B] in Japan. Tonight I've got a singles match against [B]Matt Borne[/B]. I've had matches with him twice before, but never a singles, so I'm hopeful that our chemistry will be good. [U][B]Match 16: Matt Borne vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] It's pretty much even between us for the first ten minute or so until we tumble outside. Then the fans get a pretty good show! First, I hit a Handspring Body Press Suicida, then miss a Somersault Body Attack Suicida from the top to the floor. Borne goes up and hits a Double Axe Handle, but I slip out of his Double Arm DDT and hit a Running Enziguri. He blocks my Romero Special and puts me on a table but I counter with an Enziguri and leave him on the table and climb to the top rope. Somersault Body Attack Suicida through the table!! The fans are going nuts as I roll Borne back in and get a near fall. Running Enziguri...near fall. Running Enziguri...near fall! Flying Body Press...NEAR FALL! Borne catches my next big move and tosses me out. He goes for a Double Arm DDT but I slip it and hit a Bulldog Lariat onto a chair! The ref warns me as I roll him back in and try to end it with a Romero Special. Borne fights back so I got back to the top and try to hit a Flying Palm Thrust. Borne counters with a dropkick and as I'm sucking for air, he hits me with a Leaping Piledriver to end the match at 26:00. [B]Rating: B[/B] I got beat, but I'm satisfied with my performance as I head to the back. Tunney calls me over and expresses his appreciation by boosting me up into a lower mid-card position and offering me a feud with [B]Brian Adias[/B]. I gratefully accept and the pain of the 747 Splash is lifted off my chest.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monday, Week 4, November 1983 - MLW When I accepted the feud with [B]Brian Adias[/B], I didn't realize how far he would take things, but I found out tonight. As I'm heading to ringside with my partner for the evening, [B]Chavo Guerrero Sr[/B]., I hear a revving sound and see Chavo jumping out of the way when Adias's Firebird hits from behind, flipping me up over the roof. I land hard on my back in the aisle as I get my first taste of what "feud" really means. [U][B]Match 17: Prof. Toru Tanaka & Pvt. Jim Nelson vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada & Chavo Guerrero Sr.[/B][/U] I have decided to bring my Stampede Wrestling nickname to Maple Leaf, but the point is moot tonight as when my name is announced, I'm unable to stand. The match is essentially a handicap match and although Chavo is a capable wrestler he's no match for the heel pair. Eventually I make it to the ring in an effort to help out but my legs are too weak to be of service and Chavo takes a Heart Kick from Tanaka to end the match at 27:00. [B]Rating: C+[/B] As I'm stretchered to the back I swear I'll get revenge on Adias as soon as I'm able.

Wednesday, Week 4, November 1983 - UWF Luckily, after a check by the [B]Maple Leaf [/B] medical staff and a quick trip to the local ER, I'm found to have no serious damage from my little "car accident". After a night in the hospital for observation, I'm back on the plane to Japan for the [B]Universal Pro [/B] show. How many times have I crossed the Pacific this month? It wouldn't be so bad if they would change the movie once in awhile. I think seeing "Mr. Mom" five times is more than enough. When I arrive at the gymnasium for the show, I see I'll be facing [B]Ken [/B] [B]Shamrock[/B] again. I've beat him before, so I'm confident as I head to the ring. [U][B]Match 18: Ken Shamrock vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] This match is really no problem as I dominate from the ring of the bell to the finish. I get the win after a Running Enziguri at 8:00. Rating: C After the match, I try to talk to [B]Maeda[/B] in the back but he pretends to ignore me again. I wish him luck and head back to Calgary.

Thursday, Week 4, November 1983 - CSW Back in Calgary, [B]Bruce Hart [/B] tells me they want to start off my feud with [B]The Cobra [/B] with a few tag matches to see how our chemistry is so tonight it's... [U][B]Match 19: "Jumping" Joe Savoldi & The Cobra vs Doug Furnas & "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] The match is a very fast paced contest with a ton of high flying action. The referee can't seem to stay out of the way as he's knocked down three times. Everyone hits multiple finishers but it finally comes down to me and Savoldi as I hit an Avalance Brainbuster to get the pin at 30:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] Backstage, The Cobra tells me how great he thought it went tonight and asks me out for a beer. Things are looking up!

Saturday, Week 4, November 1983 - UWF Having been told I wouldn't be on the [B]Stampede[/B] TV taping this week, I decide to head back to Japan early to spend some time with my parents. My mother is particularly concerned with the high risk style I sometimes employ in my matches and asks me to tone it down. I can't do that, but I tell her I'll try. On Saturday, I go to the prefectural gymnasium in Kagoshima and see that I'll be facing a familiar face from [B]Maple Leaf [/B] in [B]Jacques Rougeau[/B]. We chat a little as we lace up our boots and wish each other luck. [U][B]Match 20: Jacques Rougeau vs Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] Again not a particularly good showing at home as Rougeau takes me for a lesson in scientific wrestling. I can't get into the air where I do my best work and submit to Jacques' Full Nelson Clutch at 14:00. Rating: C+ My neck and shoulders are pretty sore, but Rougeau offers to buy me a beer at the airport as we head back to Toronto, so that eases the pain a little.

Sunday, Week 4, November 1983 - MLW At the studio in Toronto, I find I'll be facing a newcomer to [B]Maple Leaf [/B] [B]Wrestling[/B] in [B]Tony Anthony[/B], also known as the [B]Grappler #2[/B] in a few southern U.S. promotions. He's a mat based brawler, which is not my best style, so I have to try hard to keep the match at my pace. [U][B]Match 21: Tony Anthony vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Things don't really go according to plan and my lack of experience allows Anthony to get the better of me right from the ring of the bell. I try to take it outside to get the advantage with my high risk offense, but to no avail. After a few missed plancha attempts, Anthony rolls me back inside and hits the Double Arm DDT at 16:00 to secure the victory. [B]Rating: C[/B] Tomorrow we'll be heading to Montreal where I'll be in a 4 on 4 tag match, so I head to my motel to rest and put an ice-pack on my swollen forehead.

[QUOTE=Goldberg]How's your overness so far? Did it rise in any way?[/QUOTE] I kind of went too fast through some of the matches and missed the end of the month, so I'll post a stats update as I reach end of December 1983. Thanks for the interest! *Stats report will be posted at end of November 1983 as per my updated scenario.

An Important Message Okay, here's what I've decided to do. Since the mod and the entire game have been recently updated, I've decided that rather than starting a whole new diary, I'm going to update my game and continue from where I left off. I have just come to the end of the first month so it won't affect things too much, hopefully. The only problems I can forsee will of course be in worker relationships and hirings/firings but since I haven't gone into too much detail on those, it shouldn't affect things too much. I'll repost my starting stats in the first post and then play the first month again, at which point I'll give you a stats update. I just hope I can restart my current feuds, but if not, I'll come up with a creative way to explain anything that doesn't gel with what has already been posted. Anyhow, just letting you know! And keep reading! ;) PS-I also deleted the last posted match since it happened in December.

Two extra matches A couple of strange things happened to me over the last week that have shown me the unpredictabilty of this business. First, [B]UWF[/B] owner and booker [B]Hisashi Shinma [/B] called to inform me that some of the tapes from last week's [B]Universal Pro [/B] taping had accidentally been erased and I had to come back to the studio right away. On arrival at the studio I was told to pick a partner for a match against [B]Super Leatherface [/B] and [B]Ken Shamrock[/B]. [B]Ultimo Dragon [/B] was in the lockerroom and since we have similar styles it seemed like a good idea. [U][B]Match 22: Super Leatherface & Ken Shamrock vs Keiichi Yamada & Ultimo Dragon[/B][/U] The match goes back and forth until about the midway point, when I toss Shamrock out through the ropes and hit a Plancha Dive. I try to capitalize with a high risk Apron Somersault, which he avoids. He sets me up for a side suplex, which I slip and nail a Bulldog Lariat on to a chair. I roll him back in and tag in Ultimo. Shamrock makes the tag and within seconds Leatherface is tossed out of the ring where Ultimo hits his own Plancha followed by a Corkscrew Legdrop and a Back Suplex through a table. The ref doesn't like it so Ultimo rolls Leatherface back in where the action shifts to Leatherface. He hits a Gorilla Press but a second is avoided and Ultimo hits a Missile Dropkick and tags me in. I go to the top but the Frog Splash misses and I'm almost pinned. Shamrock tags back in and takes the advantage with a Bearhug Turnbuckle Smash, Corner Forearm Charge, Side Suplex combo into a Fisherman's Suplex which I barely kick out of! I manage to turn the tables momentarily with a Springboard Moonsault Press followed by an Inverted Surfboard, but Shamrock won't quit. After he counters my Powerbomb attempt with a stiff kick, he hooks me up for another Fisherman's Suplex and it's over at 22:00. [B]Rating: C+[/B] The second thing happens after the [B]MLW[/B] show on Sunday. [B]Tom[/B] [B]Jones[/B] comes up to me after the show is over and asks if I wouldn't mind having another match later that night for some kind of charity function. I'm tired but really have nothing better to do so I decide to go along. [U][B]Match 23: Tom Jones vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] This match is another back and forth affair until we take it outside. Then I start with what's becoming my characteristic high risk style. I'm glad my mother never makes the trip to Canada to watch me wrestle! Plancha Dive, Bulldog Lariat, Flying Double Stomp Suicida! Jones comes back with a couple of hard rams into the ring apron and my next high risk doesn't pay off as I crash to the floor after an attempted Somersault Body Attack Suicida. Jones is all over me with stomps and bionic elbows and a nasty Running Headbutt! I manage to come back late in the match with a Bulldog Lariat on a chair that gets Jones' blood flowing. I hit a Running Enziguri but again miss the high risk as a Frog Splash goes wrong. Jones rolls me back in and hits a few more hard elbows off my skull. I go for a desperation counter with another Running Enziguri but he counters with a kick to my stomach and nearly knocks me out with a Running Headbutt for the win at 27:00. [B]Rating: B-[/B] Two unexpected matches and two unwelcome losses. The end of my first month is on a downturn. I hope I can make up for it in December.

Month's End Report - November 1983 Everything went pretty much according to plan with the updated restart so we're back on track. Keiichi Yamada, aka "Flyin' Fuji", had a decent rookie month with the following developments. [B]Match Record [/B] 23 Matches 10 Wins [U]13 Losses[/U] Win Percentage 43.5% [B]Best Match[/B] Monday, Week 3, November 1983 [B]Match 11: 4 vs 4 Elimination Match [/B] - Matt Borne, Brian Adias, Tom Jones, Jacques Rougeau vs Angelo Mosca Jr., Keiichi Yamada, Mark Youngblood, Prof. Toru Tanaka [B]Rating: B[/B] [B]Worst Match[/B] Saturday, Week 3, November 1983 [B]Match 15:[/B] Keiichi Yamada vs One Man Gang [B]Rating: D[/B] [B]Earnings[/B] $660 earned [U]$500 spent[/U] Profit $160 [B]Contracts[/B] Maple Leaf Wrestling (Regional) - Lower Midcard - $40 PPA - 2 months remaining Calgary Stampede Wrestling (Small) - Midcard - $20 PPA - 2 months remaining Universal Pro-Wrestling (Small) - Opener - $20 PPA - 2 months remaining [B]Overness [/B] USA 0 Canada 12 (+12) Mexico 0 Japan 2 (+2) [B]Skills and Abilities [/B] Spirit 14 (+14) Power 30 Technique 50 (+3) Speed 73 Psych 72 (+7) Stamina 50 (+5) Toughness 60 (+5) Charisma 66 (+4) Microphone 48 (+8) Safety 60 Looks 73 Respect 3 (+3)

Monday, Week 1, December 1983 - MLW Tonight we're Quebec City for the [B]Maple Leaf Express [/B] and I've got [B]Tom Jones [/B] again! My head is still sore from the other night, but I almost had him then so I think I may be able to pull off a pinfall tonight. [U][B]Match 24: Tom Jones vs "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Things go pretty much same way they did in our last match, exceptt he beats me up little worse before I manage to toss him outside. Once we get out there I manage to get a few moves in but he really goes to work with those nasty elbows and stomps. It's not the prettiest approach, but it's certainly effective. He nails me not once, not twice, but three times with Running Headbutts and I can barely see for the blood streaming down my face! I manage to slip out of a ring apron ram and return the favour with a Bulldog Lariat on a chair, followed by a perfect Somersault Body Attack Suicida. I roll him back in and 1...2... Guess who breaks up the pin? [B]Brian [/B] [B]Adias[/B]!!! I'm getting really annoyed with him but I can't let him distract me too...too late as I walk right into another Running Headbutt at 23:00 and go down for the count. [B]Rating: B+[/B] [B]Tom Jones [/B] comes up to me in the lockerroom and asks if my head is alright. A few stitches and I should be okay, but I can't wait to get my hands on that [B]Brian Adias[/B]!

That Tom Jones... the old time Sports Entertainers might only have three moves, but they're pretty wicked ones, indeed. Plus, with the changes in gameplay with the last update, the fans are much more receptive to those Bobo Brazil-types. Yamada's ability to make Tom Jones look like a million bucks will start getting you some great press, I'm sure. That's two 4 Star matches that the Observer will be writing about in their next months mag! The fans are obviously starting to really get interested in the 'new style' that Yamada represents. You may not be winning the matches, but you're winning over the fans!

Tuesday, Week 1, December 1983 I thought this would be a pretty hectic month since [B]UWF[/B] is on tour, meaning I've got a possible show everyday! But I get a call from [B]UWF[/B] on Monday to say I won't be needed Tuesday. It's a little disappointing since I'd really like to raise my image back home. [B]Ultimo Dragon [/B] gives me a call to let me know what went on at the show. He tells me a couple of vacant titles were filled with [B]Lizmark[/B] winning the [B]Universal Lightweight [/B] title over [B]Black Man [/B] and [B]Super Leatherface and Fit Finlay [/B] capturing the [B]tag titles [/B] in a win over [B]Ultimo Dragon and Bugsy McGraw[/B]. Ultimo says he's not sure why they made such strange tag pairings and asks if I would consider teaming with him in the future. I tell him I'd be honored to team with him and we decide to call ourselves [B]Young Dragons [/B] from here on out. I tell him I won't be able to make tomorrow's [B]UWF[/B] show since [B]Maple Leaf [/B] wants me for their show. He understands and wishes me luck.

Archived