Jushin "Thunder" Lyger: The Innovator

Great match with Sabu.. Kind of makes me want to do A Diary with him! :D Great match with Loch Ness Monster, Sad that the Running Clothesline knocked you out cold! He must've put you inside-out with it! The Super DDT against Sabu was A great ending, and this line ruled. " I climb to the top and sail off with a Somersault Body Attack Suicida through the empty table". It's AWESOME to take risks like that.. and when they pay off, It makes A match just so much better. Keep up the high-risking, Well-Written, Lyger-Awesomeness of this Diary!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really love this diary, it never fails when it comes to entertainment. I always get a good read when I open up the page. I can't wait to see him match up with some of the great Jr. Heavyweights from JPUK if that's where you're going. Keep up the good work! :D

Week 1, April 1984 (Thursday) [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Thursday - CSW[/U][/B][/COLOR] I catch a ride to Lethbridge for the show with [B]Loch Ness Monster [/B] aka Giant Haystacks. He wants to make sure I'm okay and talk to me about some of the UK promotions. It sounds like most of the workers over there are smaller, more technically minded, so I think I may be able to make more of an impact over there, should I choose to go. Tonight, I'll be facing a much smaller opponent than Loch Ness, and I'm hopeful the match will be a good one. [U][B]Match 69: Fumihiro Nikura vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Nikura comes on hard and fast in the opening moments and has me reeling with strikes, working my legs whenever I hit the mat. I'm feeling a little outclassed as we head into the late stages. I toss him through the ropes and hit a baseball slide followed by an apron dive somersault smash. I go for a handspring moonsault, but as my left hand connects with the ground, I feel it twist and I hit the floor. Nikura rolls me in and pins me with a charging roll-up, but I easily kick out, despite the growing ache in my left wrist. Nikura attempts a Sunset Flip Bomb, but I fall on top, getting a near fall. I whip him into the corner and chop him hard across the chest, then lift him onto the top turnbuckle. I follow and put my arm around his neck, but he lands three hard shots to my stomach and I fall backwards from the corner. He climbs down to capitalize, but I counter with an arm wringer, setting him up for the Avalanche Brainbuster. When I try to lift him though, pain shots through my left wrist and I'm whipped into the ropes. Nikura drives a leaping chop into my forehead and I feel the blood start to flow as he makes the cover. Kick out! A Sunset Flip Bomb! One...two...th...I just manage to lift my shoulder. I'm not sure where Nikura went as I struggle to my feet...just in time to catch a Missile Dropkick right on the jaw. There's no kicking out of that one at 18:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] I go to the trainer in back to have him take a look at my wrist. It's really starting to swell, but he thinks it's only a sprain and I should be back to normal in a couple of weeks. Thankfully I have a couple of days off to ice it down before I head east.

[QUOTE=javier_83]i am from Mexico, so why you dont go and Wrestle there :D[/QUOTE] It is a definite possiblity! Yamada will most likely start to wear a mask once he moves to Mexico. One step toward becoming Jushin "Thunder" Lyger! As far as the tag titles, I would love to defend them more often, but the AI tag team booking is a little flawed so the matches are few and far between.

Week 1, April 1984 (Sunday) [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Sunday - MLW[/U][/B][/COLOR] Back in Eastern Canada for the MLW show, I find I'm in the Main Event tag match. While I'm happy to be main eventing, I'm a little worried about the condition of my arm, considering the other three guys in the match are veteran brawlers. Backstage, I get friendly with [B]Pampero Firpo [/B] who says if I ever need an introduction anywhere he works, he would be happy to help me out. [U][B]Match 70: Angelo Mosca & Toru Tanaka vs. Mark Lewin & "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada - 2 vs. 2 Elimination Rules[/B][/U] The match turns out to be quite long and very brutal, with every participant putting their body on the line to please the fans. I can't compete with the sheer power of Mosca and Tanaka, so Lewin and I exchange a lot of quick tags, with Lewin doing most of the damage when he's in the ring. Unfortunately the strategy is very tough on Lewin and at the 35 minute mark, he is eliminated by Mosca after an Atlas Bear Hug and a Double Handed Choke Bomb. Now it's me, a lightweight, alone with two fearsome brawlers. Fortunately for me, Lewin did a lot of damage, so both my opponents are exhausted. I use as much speed as I can to keep Mosca off his feet and twice I put him in the Indian Deathlock. He won't quit though and tosses me over the top rope to catch a breather, tagging in Tanaka. Tanaka comes out to the floor and proceeds to abuse me with a series of claw holds before rolling me back in. He tries to finish me off, but I avoid him and hit a desperation rolling wheel kick which puts him on his back in the center of the ring. I slap on a move I've been trying to perfect, the Figure 4, and to my surprise, Tanaka gives in at 42:00. Mosca charges into the ring and begins to shout at the crowd, riling them up. This gives me a small chance to catch my breath and as he comes at me, I'm ready for him. He attempts a bear hug, but I slip out and sail off the ropes with a running dropkick. Mosca staggers to his feet just in time to catch a rolling wheel kick, which I follow with the Indian Deathlock. He tries to reach for the ropes, but we're just too far away and he has no choice but to submit at 45:00. [B]Rating: [B][COLOR=Red]B[/COLOR][/B][/B] I'm in shock as the referee raises my hand. As the smallest guy in the match, I was sure I'd be the first eliminated, but here I stand. This match is a definite confidence builder!

Week 2, April 1984 (Monday-Sunday) [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Monday - MLW[/U][/B][/COLOR] Tonight, we're in Windsor for a show at the local arena. I'm dropped down to the opening slot again, which is a little confusing considering I main-evented last night. The match is a standard 8-man tag. [U][B]Match 71: Toru Tanaka, Mark Youngblood, Brian Adias, & Rene Goulet vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada, Tom Jones, Private Jim Nelson & Angelo Mosca Jr.[/B][/U] There are definitely a lot of familiar faces in the ring, so the match is relatively predictable. Cutting straight to the finish, I pick up the win with an Avalanche Brainbuster on my old pal, Brian Adias at 37:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] Not the most fun to be in an 8-man tag, but it is quite satisfying to nail Brian with my Avalanche Brainbuster. [U][B][COLOR=Blue]Wednesday - CSW[/COLOR][/B][/U] I decide to cancel my MLW appearance (probably a multiman tag match) in favour of CSW (possibly a singles match or a tag title defense) and it pays off. Tonight I'm in the semi main event against a guy I've never met, the masked [B]Towering Inferno[/B]. [U][B]Match 72: Towering Inferno vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] This turns out to be a hard fought contest, with me using all the speed and finesse I can muster and Inferno punching and kicking the hell out of me all the way through. It appears to be over when he nails me with a Brass Knuckles Punch, which the referee does not appreciate, but I'm close enough to the ropes to get a leg up. Inferno irish whips me into the referee (on purpose I'm sure) and he goes down. I counter with a palm thrust and we fight back and forth while the referee tries to recover. A rolling wheel kick drops the big man and the referee recovers just in time for my Indian Deathlock submission at 28:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] Unfortunately, I've got no more matches for the rest of the week, so I spend my time chatting with Owen Hart in Calgary and Rick Martel in Toronto.

Week 3, April 1984 (Monday-Sunday) [COLOR=Blue][U][B]Monday - MLW[/B][/U][/COLOR] I'm quite happy about tonight's match. It's only in the mid-card, but it's against [B]Sabu[/B]! We seem to have pretty good ring chemistry, so I look forward to a good match. [U][B]Match 73: Sabu vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] Sabu's not as tough an opponent as he was for me a few weeks ago, but we put on a good match anyway. Due to his smaller size, I'm able to use a lot more of my arsenal, which I do in rather spectacular fashion at the end of the match. First, I slip Sabu's attack and lock my arms around his waist for a Release German Suplex. Then it's a brutal Fisherman's Buster. And finally a Sunset Flip Bomb, driving him into the canvas for the three at 15:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B-[/COLOR][/B] Unfortunately, this turns out to be the only high point in my week as I'm not booked at all by CSW or MLW for the next ten days. It's depressing and really makes me think it's time to be moving on.

Week 4, April 1984 (Monday-Sunday) [B]Thursday - CSW[/B] In Calgary tonight, [B]Davey Boy [/B] and I will defend our tag titles for the first time since December! Seems no one is very interested in these titles... [U][B]Match 74: [COLOR=Red]Duke Myers & Kung Fu [/COLOR] ([I]Challengers[/I]) vs. [COLOR=Red]East-West Express [/COLOR] ([I]Champions[/I]) for the [COLOR=Green]CSW International Tag Team Titles[/COLOR][/B][/U] The match is okay and Davey Boy and I manage to hit a few of the double team moves we've been working on, including a Boosted Corner Dropkick and Double Running Knees. The Rocket Launcher isn't as successful. We are never in any real danger from our opponents and I get the win with a Flying Body Press on Kung Fu at 37:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] So, the East-West Express continues to roll and it looks like we could for years to come at this rate of defense. And again, no matches for the rest of the week. At least Universal-Pro is back on tour next month.

Week 1, May 1984 (Monday-Sunday) [U][B][COLOR=Blue]Monday - MLW[/COLOR][/B][/U] Universal Pro-Wrestling is back on tour, so I need to hurry out after the match tonight and catch a plane home to Japan for the first time in months. I'm really looking forward to some home cooking! [U][B]Match 75: Yoshiaki Yatsu vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] I guess my mind was on home rather than the match because Yatsu dominates, finally making me submit to a Back Mounted Cross Armed Chinlock at 20:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Tuesday - UWF[/U][/B][/COLOR] Home again! And I'm hopeful for a decent win when I find I'll be facing a familiar opponent. [U][B]Match 76: Ken Shamrock vs. Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] The match is typical of the type of match Shamrock and I have had in the past and I get the win at 18:00 with an Indian Deathlock. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] After the match, I call [B]Bruce Hart [/B] in Calgary to see if I'll be booked with Stampede in the next few days. He tells me to stay at home and spend some time with my family. The Harts really do know the importance of family. [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Saturday - UWF[/U][/B][/COLOR] I'm on TV in Japan today, so I'm really excited! Not only that, but I've also got the main event! [U][B]Match 77: Fit Finlay vs. Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] Finlay is a really tough competitor and I can see early on that this match is not going to do much for my standing in Japan. Everytime I manage to use my speed advantage, he comes back with some hard brawling. After a particularly brutal face slam into the mat and some hammer blows, I come back with a rolling wheel kick and a running palm thrust. Finlay blocks my second palm thrust attempt and sends me to the canvas with a roundhouse punch. He thens picks me up and slams me back down with a hard British Piledriver to get the win at 15:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B-[/COLOR][/B] I'm disappointed by the loss and resolve to try harder in Japan.

Week 2, May 1984 (Monday-Sunday) [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Monday - MLW[/U][/B][/COLOR] For tonight's MLW show, I'm booked in the midcard with a very familiar face from recent weeks. [B][U]Match 78: Iron Mike Sharpe vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/U][/B] Sharpe comes at me in his usual style, lots of punches, armwringers, and headlocks. I fight back with chops, uppercuts and dropkicks. A surfboard and palm thrust series gets him into a little trouble and a springboard moonsault press sends him to the mat. I miss a handspring moonsault and He takes over, grunting and groaning the whole time. A falling fist drop, grounded mafia kick, and a second fist drop set me up for a Boston Crab, but I'm not about to quit. Sharpe loads up him forearm protector with something, but I see him coming and manage to aviod the blow. A running palm thrust, rolling wheel kick, running palm thrust combo sets him up for a small package, but he avoids it by jabbing his thumb into my throat. Though I'm having trouble catching my breath, I slip his Boston Crab and toss him through the ropes. I hit my handspring suicida and put Sharpe on the table for the Somersault Body Attack Suicida, but he moves and I'm left to shatter the table by myself. Sharpe drags me back into the ring and rolls me up into a small package, but I find the resolve to kick out. He comes at my again with that loaded forearm, but I duck it and nail him in the face with a rolling wheel kick. The Indian Deathlock is locked in as Iron Mike's anguished screams fill the arena. A win by submission at 18:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B-[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Tuesday - UWF[/U][/B][/COLOR] After catching the red-eye, I'm back in Japan for yet another match against [B]Ken Shamrock[/B]. Backstage, [B]El Satanico [/B] comes over to shake my hand and asks if I'd ever consider coming down to Mexico. If I want, he can introduce me to the owner of UWA. Considering my current situation, I tell him yes, I would very much like to meet with UWA. We make plans to do it early next week. I thank him profusely and get ready for my match. [B][U]Match 79: Ken Shamrock vs. Keiichi Yamada[/U][/B] I'll spare you the details since the match is pretty much what everyone has come to expect from Shamrock vs. Yamada. I get the win after a rolling wheel kick and Indian Deathlock at 14:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Wednesday - CSW[/U][/B][/COLOR] I opt for Calgary since it's closer than Toronto and I've got more invested here. I chat with [B]Chris Benoit [/B] in the dressing room and he seems like a nice kid. Tonight I'm in the main event with the youngest Hart, [B]Owen[/B] against a couple of powerhouses. [U][B]Match 80: Jim Niedhart & Loch Ness Monster vs. Owen Hart & "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/B][/U] I'm glad to have a little help against Loch Ness tonight. The last couple of times I've faced him have ended in referee stoppages. Niedhart starts out against Owen and basically beats the hell out him until he can make a tag. Things aren't looking good for the youngsters as Niedhart pummels me as well, until I'm able to take him off his feet to try to wear down his legs a little. Unfortunately, the little damage I'm able to do is quickly countered by Niedhart tagging in Loch Ness. The huge man tosses me over the top, with any warning from the referee, and he proceeds to destroy me on the outside. Giant Samoan Drop! Giant Elbow! Standing Splash! Giant Elbow! He's about to put me in a rib crushing bear hug, when I manage a quick dropkick. I slide into the ring while Loch Ness is dazed and make the tag to Owen. I don't really see much of what happens next, but Owen really puts his heart into the match and does some serious damage to the huge Monster, forcing him to tag. Niedhart is back in and Owen turns up his intensity even higher. I recover myself enough to see Owen with a Jacknife Hold on Niedhart for a two and a half count. Niedhart comes back with a brutal running clothesline that nearly knocks Owen out of his boots. Owen fights back just enough to whip Niedhart into our corner, where he tags me in. I nail Niedhart with a corner rolling wheel kick and he staggers out to the center of the ring and falls on his face. I pounce and hook him up in a Rolling Romero Special for the submission at 27:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B-[/COLOR][/B] As the referee raises our hands, the smile on Owen's face says it all! [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Saturday - UWF[/U][/B][/COLOR] Since I have nothing in Canada for the rest of the week, I head back to Japan early and get some rest at home. Then on Saturday, I head to the TV studio for a match with...guess who? [B][U]Match 81: Ken Shamrock vs. Keiichi Yamada[/U][/B] Same old, same old. Except this time I decide to go for a more high risk approach, tossing him out for a Handspring Body Press Suicida followed by a Somersault Body Attack Suicida through a table, rolling him into the ring for the pin at 13:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=Blue][B][U]Sunday - MLW[/U][/B][/COLOR] I have no match, but I do have meeting with [B]Frank Tunney [/B] to discuss my contract here with [B]Maple Leaf Wrestling[/B]. He offers a substantial pay increase, but I've already made up my mind. I thank him very much for my time here and tell him what a valuable experience it has been. He shakes my hand, and tells me if I ever want to come back, the door will be open. One or two more matches for MLW and I'll be on my way.

Even though the initial UWA roster is a composite, I have to agree with javier; UWA is a lot of fun. The biggest benefit, imo, is that you can beat the crap out of Norman freaking Smiley. :) 6 months in, and the Flyin' Fuji is turning out to be a solid candidate for Rookie of the Year. He has to be one of the most exciting workers in Canada, at present. As always, well done!

Week 3, May 1984 (Monday) [I]Note: I've decided to tweak my own rules a little (they're my rules after all! :p ) Yamada will now be able to work for three companies at a time, provided that they are Regional level or below. Two promotions will kick in at the Cult level. Promotions must be in different countries.[/I] [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Monday - UWA[/COLOR][/U][/B] I fly to Mexico on Sunday evening and meet [B]El Satanico [/B] at the airport. We immediately drive to the offices of [B]UWA[/B], where I meet with [B]Francisco Flores[/B]. With the help of my friend, we manage to negotiate a small starting contract to see where things go from there. I'll be working for UWA for the next three months on a $20 PPA contract. After the meeting, El Satanico takes me to a friend of his, a luchadore mask maker. Since I'll be working where masks are king, I've decided to try wearing a mask of my own. I will be called [B]Flyin' Fuji [/B] in Mexico and I'll continue to wear my standard wrestling trunks and boots, with the added mask. I opt for an open-top style, leaving my hair exposed. The mask will match my trunks color, baby blue, with a white wing pattern over the eyes, extending to the sides of the mask. On Monday, I pick it up and I'm quite happy with the look. It feels a little strange, but hopefully I will be able to adjust in time for my debut tonight. [B][U]Match 82: Charlie Fulton & Flyin' Fuji vs. Tiger Conway Jr. & The Cobra[/U][/B] I'm a little nervous, since I want to make a good impression. Though I will be working as a tecnico, they have paired me with a rudo for some reason. At least I am familiar with The Cobra from Calgary, so I'm hoping we can put on a good match. I start out with Tiger and it's a very quick pace. He comes at me with a variety of strikes, but I manage to gain the upper hand with turnbuckle smash, bodyslam, snap suplex series that forces Conway to tag in Cobra. I had forgotten how fast Cobra is, and after he manages to slip or avoid everything I throw at him, I decide to tag in Fulton. It is clear that Fulton is a brawler and he proceeds to beat the hell out of both our opponents for the next several minutes. Fulton tags me in once The Cobra returns to the ring and I start off with a nice rolling wheel kick in the corner. Cobra fights back and after several moves, surprises me with a roll-up for a near fall. He comes at me with another attack, but I slip it and apply an abdominal stretch. I climb to the top for a flying palm, but Cobra counters with a dropkick and tags in Conway. I get a quick advantage by whipping him into the corner and hitting another rolling wheel kick, then tag to Fulton. Fulton nails Conway with a discus punch, and then wears him down with a body scissors, elbow drop, and rear chinlock. With Conway on his back, Fulton applies a weak looking figure four and Conway gives up at 20:00!!! [B]Rating:[COLOR=Red] D[/COLOR][/B] I am so disappointed by the ending of the match that I can't even bring myself to look at anyone as I pack up my stuff. I'm thankful I was wearing a mask as I head out of the building. I just hope I don't get fired...

Week 3, May 1984 (Tuesday-Wednesday) [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Tuesday - UWF[/COLOR][/U][/B] I'm back in Japan, trying to erase the horrible memory of last night's Mexican debut with a half decent match tonight. [U][B]Match 83: Gama Singh, Fit Finlay, & The Cobra vs. Rick Gibson, Wayne Bridges, & Keiichi Yamada[/B][/U] Gibson and Singh start out and Gama totally dominates, forcing an early tag to Bridges. Bridges does it all himself for the middle part of the match, using his technical skills to take care of all three of our opponents. I finally come in late in the match and thanks to some quick tagging between Finlay and Singh, I'm soon in serious trouble. Singh puts me in the Camel Clutch, but I manage to hold on and not quit, tagging Bridges back in when I get a chance. Bridges has the match in hand, when Singh escapes and tags in Finlay. Finlay goes nuts and hammers away on Bridges, slamming his face into the mat until he doesn't know where he is. Finlay applies a Double Knee Back Breaker at 21:00 and Bridges has no choice but to quit. [B]Rating: [B][COLOR=Red]C[/COLOR][/B][/B] [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Wednesday - UWA[/COLOR][/U][/B] I decide to opt for UWA, in the hopes of redeeming myself. And for the third night in a row, I'll be facing [B]The Cobra[/B]. My partner is another familiar face from CSW, [B]Neil Guay [/B] (Towering Inferno). I'm glad for the company of an acquaintance for this match. And I'm thankful not to be partnered with [B]Charlie Fulton [/B] again. [B][U]Match 84: Juan Rodriguez & The Cobra vs. Flyin' Fuji & Neil Guay[/U][/B] The match turns out to be really, really good! The action is actually so fast that I can hardly remember what happened. I do know this, though. At one point, me and Rodriguez slip outside to the floor and start brawling. Juan gives me a low blow, which an older woman (someone's grandmother?) fan doesn't like. She slaps his face to the roar of the small crowd and thanks to the distraction, I'm able to nail him with an Avalanche Brainbuster onto a steel chair! I roll him for a cover and he manages to kick out. He comes back with a couple of baseball slide dropkicks, sending me to the floor again, and then nails me a pescado. He tries to capitalize by dragging me back in the ring, but I slip his attack and execute a Release German Suplex for the pin at 31:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B[/COLOR][/B] The crowd is screaming as we head out the doors to the makeshift dressing room. Now if I can just have that kind of match every night, I'll make my mark here.

You really have to watch those angry old ladies, eh? :) While match 82 wasn't that good, it is an important development in young Yamada's career. The mask somehow seems to 'fit' the high flyer's personality... Match 84... wow. I love that the little old ladies get involved down in Mexico; talk about passionate fans, huh? :) The ending to that particular match was fantastic! The Released German Suplex on the outside looked to almost kill Rodriquez, but that Brainbuster on the chair really did him in. On a personal note, I love this diary. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Week 3, May 1984 (Thurs-Sun) [I]*Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I've been busy working on my Master's degree and playing a really fun Bret Hart career. I'll try to update a little more frequently! ;) [/I] [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Thursday - UWA[/COLOR][/U][/B] I called [B]Bruce Hart [/B] last night and he said it'd be alright for me to stay in Mexico rather than make my way up to Calgary, so I'm scheduled for my first appearance on Mexican TV! [B][U]Match 85: El Hijo Del Diablo vs. Flyin' Fuji [/U] [/B] Diablo shows himself to be a true rudo by making every effort to pull off my mask throughout this very high flying match! The pace is too fast to keep up with but we eventually tumble to the outside, where Diablo provokes the crowd by nailing me with a low blow and rolling me back into the ring. He spends too much time playing the crowd and when he comes back in, I hit him with a palm thrust flurry, setting him up for a Fisherman's Buster! Somehow, he kicks out and blocks my attempt at a Rolling Romero, as well as my Indian Deathlock. Diablo's experience pays off as he takes me down with a rana and locks in his own Rolling Romero, forcing me to quit at 11:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR] [/B] A loss on TV isn't a good thing, but the match was decent so I'm not too disappointed. There's a message from [B]Bruce Hart [/B] at my hotel informing me that I won't be needed on Friday at [B]Stampede[/B]. I'm hoping it's because of the oversized roster and not because I've caused some offense. So instead, it's back home to Japan for [B]UWF[/B]. [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Saturday - UWF[/COLOR][/U][/B] Tonight, I'm in singles action with a familiar face from Calgary. [B][U]Match 86: Gama Singh vs. Keiichi Yamada[/U][/B] It's a back and forth contest between us and toward the end, Singh tries to put me away with a sleeper hold. I manage to get a foot on the ropes so he leaves me there and nails me with a draped second rope butt drop. He tries to apply the Camel Clutch but I slip out behind him and suprise him with a Suastica Stretch. He won't quit so I roll him up in a small package for a pin at 18:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C+[/COLOR][/B] After the match, I get a call at my parents' house from Frank Tunney. He tells me they really need me to fill a spot on the show tomorrow. I'm a little hesitant, but I feel like I owe it to them for the way they've supported through the beginning of my career. I grab a couple of my mom's riceballs and head for the airport for the long flight to Toronto. [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Sunday - MLW[/COLOR][/U][/B] I'm really glad I decided to come when I find out the match will be a high profile singles match against the world famous [B]Sgt. Slaughter[/B]! I know it'll be a tough match that I don't expect to win, but I do hope to hold my own at least! [B][U]Match 87: Sgt. Slaughter vs. "Flyin' Fuji" Yamada[/U][/B] The Sarge comes on strong in the early going hitting me with stomach breakers, neckbreakers and hammerblows. I fight back with a series of knife edge chops, a monkey flip and a couple of second rope dropkicks. My speed seems to make Slaughter mad so he tosses me over the top rope and comes out to slam my shoulder into the ringpost. He tries to apply his patented Cobra Clutch but I come back strong with a palm thrust, uppercut, and inverse drop toehold. With Slaughter prone on the floor, I lock in a surfboard. He manages to fight his way out, but I counter with a running palm and a leg drag, finally applying another surfboard. This time Slaughter breaks out strong and nails me with a brutal running clothesline and then rolls me back in the ring. Another running clothesline puts me on the mat where he pounces on me with a series of punches. He tries to grind his knuckles into my temple but I slip away and hit him in the jaw with a lightning kick then go back to the surfboard. I keep him on the mat for several seconds and then up the stakes with a handspring moonsault. Unfortunately he gets his knees up and as I writhe in pain, he applies a hard Knuckle to Temple Grind and I have to quit at 14:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]C[/COLOR][/B] Not a great match, but I held my own so I can't be disappointed.

Week 4, May 1984 (Monday) [B][U][COLOR=Blue]Monday - UWA[/COLOR][/U][/B] Back down south in Mexico, I find I'll be teamimg with [B]Neil Guay [/B] once again. We had quite a good match last time, so I'm pretty happy about it. Backstage, I have a chat with [B]Dos Caras [/B] and he seems really nice. [B][U]Match 88: Art Crews & Charlie Fulton vs. Neil Guay & Flyin' Fuji[/U][/B] The opening part of the match is dominated by Guay pounding on Crews. When he's tired of it, Guay tags me in and Crews tags in Fulton. We go back and forth for several minutes, with no one gaining the upper hand. I decide to tag Guay back in to see if we can get some kind of advantage, but Fulton keeps him grounded and worn down, forcing him to tag me back in. I burst through the ropes and nail Fulton with a running palm thrust, surprising him and sending him reeling. I spring up to the top and sail of with a Flying Body Press, putting him down for a two count. A quick springboard dropkick sends him into the ropes and Crews manages the hot tag. He rushes me, but I roll out of the way, tagging in Guay. Guay pounds Crews down with a quick series of bionic elbows, finally sending Crews to the ringside floor and tagging me back in. I fly over the ropes with a handspring body press suicida and then lock in a Rolling Romero on the floor. I decide to try to wow the fans with my Somersault Body Attack from the top, but it turns into a disaster when Crews rolls out of the way. He drags me up from the floor and nails me with a Double Arm DDT onto a chair! I can feel the blood seeping through my mask as he rolls me in for a cover. I manage to get a foot on the ropes and a frustrated Crews drags me over to his corner, where he tags in Fulton. Fulton whips me into the far corner and knife edge chops me across the chest several times. He then tries for dropkick into the corner, but I roll out and he crotches himself on the ropes. I tag Guay back in and though he's exhausted, he manages to get the upper hand on Fulton...for about five seconds. Fulton is about to lock on the figure four, but Guay manages to escape and tag me back in, though I'm not in much shape to fight. Fulton tosses me over the top rope and I hit the ringside floor hard as he tags in Crews. Crews comes out and signals to the crowd that he's going to break my leg but I slide away from his figure four attempt and spring to my feet, nailing him as he turns around with a rolling wheel kick. I push him onto the nearest table and decide to go for broke. This time it pays off and I crash down on Crews' prone body through the table. The referee is very angry and shouting something in Spanish, but the crowd is roaring and I haven't heard a bell, so I drag Crews back inside and as Guay fights off Fulton, the referee makes the three count at 38:00. [B]Rating: [COLOR=Red]B[/COLOR][/B] I go to the dressing room for a couple of stitches and then it's off to Japan.

Archived