Spinal Tap references...

Hey, I finally upgraded to TEW2007 after playing EWR for so long, and have to say the Cornellverse rules much more than I thought it might. Anywho, one thing I've started to notice is references to This is Spinal Tap in the game. I've only spotted two so far, but I assume there must be many more? *SWF PPV "Break Like the Wind" - also the name of Spinal Tap's last album. *One way injuries can occur is through a "Freak Gardening Accident", much like how their first drummer died...

[QUOTE=derek_b;185489]I still like the various Buffy references and stuff too. I won't claim to have a wealth of knowledge but Adam sure does [I]pay homage to[/I] a lot of people :p I wish we still had Charisma Carpenter loading screens... I loved those.[/QUOTE] There, fixed your post. ;)

Waaaay back in the good ole EWR days we were treated to the delights of Charisma Carpenter loading screens. I know there was someone else too, but I forget who it was. She wasn't as hot anyways :p And yes Adam, you may be right with what your post edited. But if I were to change mine, you'd now look very silly. I love all the homages you pay to people. :) Derek B

[QUOTE=derek_b;185612]Waaaay back in the good ole EWR days we were treated to the delights of Charisma Carpenter loading screens. I know there was someone else too, but I forget who it was. She wasn't as hot anyways :p[/QUOTE] Wasn't it Sarah Michelle Gellar? Or was that a fan-made screenpack that I downloaded for testing purposes? ¬_¬

[QUOTE=shipshirt;185653]Xander Summer I'm looking at you!![/QUOTE] And the manager, Willow, who looks an awful lot like a certain American Pie cast member with a dye job. And the luchadores Lorne and Pylea. And the guy who worked under the surname of "Angelus." And in one of the earlier games, someone known only as "Amber B." had her own talk show. While I appreciate all this stuff, there's still a suspicious lack of some other nifty Whedon productions. Time to go to the New Workers section to add Call, The White Queen, and Firefly... :)

[I]I've come across a few Pixies references, it helps to spot these things when you're a fan....[/I] [B]Daniel Black Francis-[/B] If you take away Daniel from the name...it's the main man from the Pixies who calls himself Frank Black these days. [B]Rosa The Surfer-[/B] Surfer Rosa ..a Pixies album During a game in TEW 2005...a CZCW show once generated with the name [B]'Wave of Mutilation'[/B] which is a Pixies song.

"Five By Five" is a term used (originally in the armed forces to indicate perfect clarity of radio signal) to mean "everything's fine". Faith used it a lot in Buffy, so that's probably from whence it ended up as a random show name :p We'd be here all day trying to list all the song references in show names. Wrathchild (by Iron Maiden) is a tour name, there are billions. I'd be willing to bet that at least half of the randomised names were names of/from songs, movies or other pop culture.

I've been wondering about the music references, as well. There are numerous show names that have connections to bands like Iron Maiden and LaMetallica. If Adam is a music lover, then I respect him even more than I already did. I wonder if workers can die just by simply exploding on stage? Or, what about a random incident where the stage set-up is supposed to be 18 feet tall, but it's 18 inches? Then we could have Finlay's midget dance around it or something. And also, is Arlie Rahn an Iron Maiden fan? Judging by Genghis Rahn's finishing move, that is :D

You already have Livin' On A Prayer, Blaze of Glory, Wanted: Dead or Alive and Bad Medicine :P That's pretty much the sum total of Bon Jovi's good songs anyway. Personally, I can't see many events called "USPW: Cat's In The Cradle" or "MAW: It's My Life" ¬_¬

There are several football (soccer) references too: Joey Beauchamp (of Oxford United 'fame'), Ruud van Anger (Nistlerooy, although other than being Dutch it's purely the first name and the 'van', which can't really be called a proper reference ¬_¬), Louis Figo Manico (same as RVA, other than being Portuguese he's only really "named after" Luis Figo).

[QUOTE=James Casey;186015]Intentional, subconscious or complete coincidence, but I have a feeling that Ash Campbell is a reference to Bruce Campbell's character Ash in the Evil Dead films...[/QUOTE] Oh yeah, I caught that one :) And it took me a little while, but I got the joke behind Fredrique Antonio Garcia...

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;186720]roffle. I only just got that now that you mentioned there being a joke :([/QUOTE] I still don't get it :( I did notice a SCRUBS reference though...one of the character's real name (it may be Groucho Bling, I forget) is Kris Turkleton. Chris Turk is Donald Faison's SCRUBS character and the Cheif of Medicine always refers to him as Turkleton.

Archived