RAW does a 2.5 rating

TheEdgeOfReason

Well I just read that RAW did a 2.5 rating this past monday. This suprises me. This is way lower than usual and SD might actually beat it in the ratings this week. Why was the rating so low? I mean it was a pretty good episode imo. Was it just because of other programs? Did the NFL season just start? This is bad news for the 'E

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=TheEdgeOfReason;271196]Well I just read that RAW did a 2.5 rating this past monday. This suprises me. This is way lower than usual and SD might actually beat it in the ratings this week. Why was the rating so low? I mean it was a pretty good episode imo. Was it just because of other programs? Did the NFL season just start? This is bad news for the 'E[/QUOTE] This makes absolutely no sense. This RAW was actually good. Man... when a man can't get a break....

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;271232]This makes absolutely no sense. This RAW was actually good. Man... when a man can't get a break....[/QUOTE] Of course just because you think the show was good doesnt mean the people knew this ahead of time it was going to be good as it is a live broadcast:) Much of the blame has to go to the previous weeks shows.

[QUOTE=jbergey_2005;271236]Of course just because you think the show was good doesnt mean the people knew this ahead of time it was going to be good as it is a live broadcast:) Much of the blame has to go to the previous weeks shows.[/QUOTE] Exactly. Fans need to realize that, more often than not, a show's ratings are a result of the one or two weeks of previous shows. I'm sure someone will want to chime in and say "well it's all because of Benoit" but the Raw ratings had already dipped. They just hit 3.4 three weeks in a row. This second drop indicates that even the fans who stuck around post-Benoit really aren't interested in anything the E is doing since GAB. Should be a definite concern since this is the build towards SS which is usually one of the most successful PPVs of the year.

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;271241]Still I feel like that is horrendously low as if nobody picked up a phone and told their friends that the show was actually watchable. For goodness sakes they were competing againts Hells Kitchen. [/QUOTE] If the WWE is depending on word of mouth to save them from these kinds of ratings, they're in trouble.

This could end up possibly being a good thing in my mind. I am getting board with current WWE and I hope this can be the kick in the butt they need. Though I am also afraid that the change this will cause could be bad in my mind. Either way this could easily be the begging of a new time of change in the WWE.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;271247] I'm sure someone will want to chime in and say "well it's all because of Benoit" but the Raw ratings had already dipped. They just hit 3.4 three weeks in a row. This second drop indicates that even the fans who stuck around post-Benoit really aren't interested in anything the E is doing since GAB. Should be a definite concern since this is the build towards SS which is usually one of the most successful PPVs of the year.[/QUOTE] Great Point. These injuries are really hurting them it seems. Who other than Cena do you really care about as far as hype? Orton isnt going to get casual fans to tune in, Lashley unlikely, Umaga? I really think McMahon picked a bad time to take his vacation, they need him now more than ever. Atleast he got people interested enough to want to see what he will do next.

[QUOTE=jbergey_2005;271258]Great Point. These injuries are really hurting them it seems. Who other than Cena do you really care about as far as hype? Orton isnt going to get casual fans to tune in, Lashley unlikely, Umaga? I really think McMahon picked a bad time to take his vacation, they need him now more than ever. Atleast he got people interested enough to want to see what he will do next.[/QUOTE] I can't believe you posted that without mentioning the return of Triple H!? Obviously the multiple vignettes on every single show aren't nearly enough... ;) [QUOTE=PeterHilton;271258]I'm sure someone will want to chime in and say "well it's all because of Benoit" but the Raw ratings had already dipped. They just hit 3.4 three weeks in a row. This second drop indicates that even the fans who stuck around post-Benoit really aren't interested in anything the E is doing since GAB. Should be a definite concern since this is the build towards SS which is usually one of the most successful PPVs of the year.[/QUOTE] Exactly. The damage caused by the Benoit incident peaked a good few weeks ago now. If people honestly soley blame that for the continuing ratings decline, then I might as well blame Benoit for the puncture I got in my tyre on the way to work or the cup of coffee I spilt over my keyboard the other day. Lacklustre programming is not a way to keep viewers. This week's RAW could have been the best in the last five years, but it's pretty meaningless if it's followed up by another lacklustre episode next week, especially when the current feuds don't seem to be doing much to bring back the audience.

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;271251]The WWE dug themselves into this hole yes... but Benoit bought the shovel.[/QUOTE] I think WWE bought the shovel too. Benoit just broke ground to get the hole started good, the Creative Department's been hard at work on that hole for a while now themselves. . Also, with so many of the other things they come up with these days, I just thought they'd ruptured a sewage pipe or something while digging. I dunno what's happened to the creative end of wrestling.

Theory: The Benoit Incident caused a -lot- more die-hard wrestling fans to turn off Raw than we realize... but it also brought in a lot of people who don't usually watch wrestling, looking to see what all the fuss about pro wrestling was about. The WWE didn't do anythign to keep those people around, and now they're leaving because nothign caught their attention. The problem is, Raw is booked like a soap opera... lots of little threads with one somewhat-larger thread getting more airtime than the others. It needs to be booked more like a Lost or a Heroes... one main thread that gets, say, roughly half the airtime, a minor thread that gets a quarter, and a couple little bits that get a little airtime here and there just to acknowledge they're still alive and maybe furthering a ltitle bit. Think back to the more memorable RAWs... they tend to be the ones where the whole show is memorable because of some sort of storyline going on through the whole episode.

[QUOTE=wooodaddy;271301]economy is E+ and falling I guess[/QUOTE] that's a good one wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodaddy! maybe wwe will let their talent.....i dunno....SHOW THEIR F'N TALENT!!!!! maybe the punch-kick-punch-slam-rest hold-punch-slam-finisher/no finish combo isn't as thrilling as it seems!! my biggest gripe is that the wrestling is almost paint by numbers at this point. if they could actually do a match with phsycology and action it would be better off. *this is a comment from a jilted former E fan that no longer that interested, so take it as such**this is not wwe bashing for the sake of wwe bashing (unlike most tna bashing)*

[QUOTE=thug saint oga;271337] *this is a comment from a jilted former E fan that no longer that interested, so take it as such**this is not wwe bashing for the sake of wwe bashing (unlike most tna bashing)*[/QUOTE] :rolleyes: Hate to burst your bubble, but I can almost guarantee that if/when the WWE improves its ratings it will have nothing to do with the in-ring stuff. Nothing. infinitywpi is probably as close to anyone can be as to a possible solution.

[QUOTE=infinitywpi;271326] The problem is, Raw is booked like a soap opera... lots of little threads with one somewhat-larger thread getting more airtime than the others. It needs to be booked more like a Lost or a Heroes...[/QUOTE] **** yeah! Seriously, book me some Batista vs CM Punk and we can re-enact the classic Jack vs Sawyer feud... with muscles! Honestly I am a little saddened to hear about the huge rating drop. I haven't been watching Raw consistently since Benoit died (but that's actually because they didn't air the tribute here to begin with), and frankly everything on Raw generally bores the piss out of me. Occasionally we get something good from WGTT or Orton (who had been improving a lot lately, feud with Rhodes seemed like a step backwards), but seriously since HBK and Edge left I had no reason to watch... then they had to take Kennedy! So I just watch his bits on the Tube mostly. Thing is, this week's show sounds alright - unexpected winners and all - who can't mark out for Carlito bringing up the past and then repeating it? And yet those segments will go down in history as having some of the worst ratings ever. What are the odds we'll see anything like it for a long time?

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;271232]This makes absolutely no sense. This RAW was actually good. Man... when a man can't get a break....[/QUOTE] I was going to say, you don't get a good viewing because one show was good, you can have totally outstanding shows, but someone has to see them to get word out that they are good.. Bassically, what my next quote said. [QUOTE=jbergey_2005;271236]Of course just because you think the show was good doesnt mean the people knew this ahead of time it was going to be good as it is a live broadcast:) Much of the blame has to go to the previous weeks shows.[/QUOTE] Exactly, if not all of the blame. You can't keep fumbling the ball week after week and expect anymore then true diehard fans to watch... You get more people watching when you make those touchdowns EVERY time, then your ratings will improve. Example: Good show 2.0 good show 2.1 good show 2.3 bad show 2.5 (no one knew this would be a "Bad Show") Example 2: Bad show 2.0 Bad Show 1.9 Bad show 1.7 Great Show 1.3 (no one could have guessed you would have picked this to be THE SHOW). [QUOTE=PeterHilton;271247]Exactly. Fans need to realize that, more often than not, a show's ratings are a result of the one or two weeks of previous shows. I'm sure someone will want to chime in and say "well it's all because of Benoit" but the Raw ratings had already dipped. They just hit 3.4 three weeks in a row. This second drop indicates that even the fans who stuck around post-Benoit really aren't interested in anything the E is doing since GAB. Should be a definite concern since this is the build towards SS which is usually one of the most successful PPVs of the year.[/QUOTE] I feel there is a small amount that Beniot is responsible for, but I also feel that was already felt, this is not the same thing.... Whatever dropped because of that already fell in my opinion. [QUOTE=masterded;271253]This could end up possibly being a good thing in my mind. I am getting board with current WWE and I hope this can be the kick in the butt they need. Though I am also afraid that the change his will cause could be bad in my mind. Either way this could easily be the begging of a new time of change in the WWE.[/QUOTE] Interesting Theory, and I hope your positive outlook ends up being correct. [QUOTE=The Franchise;271316]I have to guess that the panic button is being pressed in Stamford.[/QUOTE] For some reason, I don't see Panic happening at the top. I do see lesser's (like writer's and such) tending to have slight panic attacks though. Far as McMahan or any of his compadre's, I sincerely doubt anything bussiness wise is able to make the panic, outside of total destruction, which one night (or a few nights) of bad ratings could ever do. They are solid, just need to concentrate on going back up in the ratings. [QUOTE=infinitywpi;271326]Theory: The Benoit Incident caused a -lot- more die-hard wrestling fans to turn off Raw than we realize... but it also brought in a lot of people who don't usually watch wrestling, looking to see what all the fuss about pro wrestling was about. The WWE didn't do anythign to keep those people around, and now they're leaving because nothign caught their attention. The problem is, Raw is booked like a soap opera... lots of little threads with one somewhat-larger thread getting more airtime than the others. It needs to be booked more like a Lost or a Heroes... one main thread that gets, say, roughly half the airtime, a minor thread that gets a quarter, and a couple little bits that get a little airtime here and there just to acknowledge they're still alive and maybe furthering a ltitle bit. Think back to the more memorable RAWs... they tend to be the ones where the whole show is memorable because of some sort of storyline going on through the whole episode.[/QUOTE] Good points, and again, pretty interesting theory. I aggree with the overall storyline to a show making it feel like a better overall show though. I thought the one when the entire Main Event was took out (later finding out it was Khali), that ran through the entire show was really put together well. Hopefully they will utilize that strategy more:-) [QUOTE=PeterHilton;271395]:rolleyes: Hate to burst your bubble, but I can almost guarantee that if/when the WWE improves its ratings it will have nothing to do with the in-ring stuff. Nothing. infinitywpi is probably as close to anyone can be as to a possible solution.[/QUOTE] /nod. Has nothing to do with the actual wrestling itself. It's probably the reason it is declining with our luck, lol. They stopped storylines all together, and have slowly brought them back into each episode... Might be something about that... Simply because as a whole, I think the WWE have been stronger in their match's lately then when they were riding 'High". Of course a good Cena vs. HBK would probably help right now, but I think it's more about the story (even if told in the ring).

[QUOTE=thug saint oga;271337]that's a good one wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodaddy! maybe wwe will let their talent.....i dunno....SHOW THEIR F'N TALENT!!!!! maybe the punch-kick-punch-slam-rest hold-punch-slam-finisher/no finish combo isn't as thrilling as it seems!! my biggest gripe is that the wrestling is almost paint by numbers at this point. if they could actually do a match with phsycology and action it would be better off.[/QUOTE] Funny, thug saint. That got a chuckle out of me. You're expecting WWE to be about WRESTLING? Never happen. Every few years, they get two or three folks who CAN wrestle......and then they make them shuck & jive for the audience instead. WWE hasn't been about wrestling in 20 years (or more). [QUOTE=Thomnipotent;271447]Not surprised. Do something I care about and I'll start watching again.[/QUOTE] Man, I love when Thom pipes up and hits the nail square on the head.

Archived