RAW does a 2.5 rating

TheEdgeOfReason

They lost me long before Beniot imploded. Of course being a (old)NWA and WCW mark I don't know that they have ever really had me. As it actually takes a little effort for me to watch. (I leave for work at 930 EST>30 minutes after RAW comes on the air.) I used to make sure it was taped so that I could watch it in the morning when I got home. Of course this was over the objections of my wife, but as long as my son was watching he'd get it taped. He stopped watching. I stopped caring about whether it got taped or not. As he put it "Who cares?"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=jonlawson;271543]Funny thing is this is where the old WCW fans like myself come out and say that if WWE had competition they would do better shows.... So, I'm not gonna say that :D[/QUOTE] [SIZE="1"]*cough*F*** yeah what he said*cough*[/SIZE] Carry on, nothing to see here

[QUOTE=jonlawson;271543]Funny thing is this is where the old WCW fans like myself come out and say that if WWE had competition they would do better shows.... So, I'm not gonna say that :D[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=tristram;271566][SIZE="1"]*cough*F*** yeah what he said*cough*[/SIZE] Carry on, nothing to see here[/QUOTE] That's circular logic since the WWE wasn't the one actually responsible for WCW going out of business. They bought them out. But realistically it would've been stupid for them not to. They paid like 25 cents on the dollar...they nearly made back the initial invesment on the Ric Flair DVD alone... The truer statement is this: "If the people in charge of WCW hadn't run it into the ground, then maybe there'd be some competition for the WWE today AND THEN they'd be forced to create better TV."

As if things weren't bad enough: [QUOTE]The bad news continues... ECW On Sci-Fi did a 1.29 rating last night, down from a 1.31 last week. The rating puts TNA Impact in striking distance for the first time since ECW started of becoming the third highest rated weekly wrestling show. Meanwhile, RAW's hourly ratings were 2.50 and 2.53. As reported earlier, the 2.5 rating for RAW is its lowest rating in roughly a decade. Credit: PWTorch.com[/QUOTE] Depending on how many total people are watching TV tonight, Impact could get a 1.2 and actually beat ECW.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;271673]As if things weren't bad enough: Depending on how many total people are watching TV tonight, Impact could get a 1.2 and actually beat ECW.[/QUOTE] I think you're mistaking ratings for shares. a 1.2 is a 1.2 is a 1.2 no matter how many people are watching TV. a 1.2/1 and a 1.2/2 are vastly different... the same number of people watched your show, but in one case you've got 1% of all TV viewers, and in the other, you've got 2%. So if you get a 1.4 instead of a 1.2, it means more people watched you. If you get a 1.2/4 share instead of a 1.2/2 share, it means less people were watching TV, but your audience still tuned in as normal.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;271673]As if things weren't bad enough: Depending on how many total people are watching TV tonight, Impact could get a 1.2 and actually beat ECW.[/QUOTE] Lets all watch and really send shockwaves through Vince:). Maybe we can get some wrestlemania storylines prior to WM this year instead of SOS.

[QUOTE=jbergey_2005;271711]Lets all watch and really send shockwaves through Vince:). Maybe we can get some wrestlemania storylines prior to WM this year instead of SOS.[/QUOTE] TNA Getting a 2.5 or 3.0 I think would actually get his attention... Beating ECW I just don't think would mean anything to him to be honest. Beating RAW even one time I think would... SO let's all watch TNA in two households tonight!!!

[url]http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/preview/4889310/[/url] [QUOTE]This Monday night, live on Raw, Mr. McMahon strikes back. Find out what this means by tuning in to Raw at 9/8 CT on USA Network.[/QUOTE] I wonder how the meetings at WWE headquarters are going.

[quote=mystic;271881]I wonder how the meetings at WWE headquarters are going.[/quote] [quote=infinitywpi;271917]"Ratings are down. Why?" "Um... because you're not on TV, Mr. McMahon?" "Good answer. Remind me to give you a bonus this year."[/quote] Ask a silly question... :p

[url]http://pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=25814&p=1[/url] [QUOTE][B]MONDAY'S RATING MAY NOT HAVE BEEN AS BAD AS REPORTED[/B] For those who have emailed (and there sure have been a lot of you since I got home from being out today), yes, Vince McMahon's appearance on Raw this Monday and the announcement of it is definitely being done in an effort to boost the ratings after the disastrous numbers that they possibly delivered this week came to light. The creative team is feeling the heat for the ratings freefall up in Titan Towers but, to his credit, sources have told me that Vince realizes many of his people have been writing to "please him" and now that the numbers have dropped to alarming levels, he is finally said to be ready to listen to ideas that don't conform to his cookie cutter way of presenting WWE. We can only hope that leads to much-needed change in the programs. With that said, I should also tell you that I have heard from two sources that Nielsen has contacted a number of programmers and said that there was a problem (glitch) in Monday's ratings, as I suspected may be the case. I am not sure what the extent of it is, but as I said yesterday, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that there was a problem since the drop was so huge. I have heard that Nielsen has contacted WWE about it but with the three straight weeks of 3.4s for Raw prior to this week, WWE does realize that there is a real problem with the make up of their shows and are working on doing what they can to fix them, regardless of whether there was a big drop on Monday or not. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;271737]SO let's all watch TNA in two households tonight!!![/QUOTE] unless we're all in two Nielsen households it wouldn't matter...;) Fact of the matter is I can't get a single person in [I]this[/I] household to watch the crap they call Impact. [QUOTE=djthefunkchris;271737]TNA Getting a 2.5 or 3.0 I think would actually get his attention... Beating ECW I just don't think would mean anything to him to be honest. Beating RAW even one time I think would... [/QUOTE] TNA could have Jesus Christ v Satan as their opening match on Impact and never even dream of those ratings... I doubt they'll ever go higher than they are, and I know they'll never get above a 1.5... I love the 'journalistic' reporting on dirt sheet sites. When TNA did a 1.2 the headlines were "Impact rating skyrockets to all time high!" and when it went back to the usual 1.1 the next week the headlines were "Impact ratings a little down from last week". Hilarious...

[QUOTE=infinitywpi;271326]Theory: The Benoit Incident caused a -lot- more die-hard wrestling fans to turn off Raw than we realize... but it also brought in a lot of people who don't usually watch wrestling, looking to see what all the fuss about pro wrestling was about. The WWE didn't do anythign to keep those people around, and now they're leaving because nothign caught their attention. [B]The problem is, Raw is booked like a soap opera... lots of little threads with one somewhat-larger thread getting more airtime than the others. It needs to be booked more like a Lost or a Heroes... one main thread that gets, say, roughly half the airtime, a minor thread that gets a quarter, and a couple little bits that get a little airtime here and there just to acknowledge they're still alive and maybe furthering a ltitle bit. Think back to the more memorable RAWs... they tend to be the ones where the whole show is memorable because of some sort of storyline going on through the whole episode[/B].[/QUOTE] And that I think is part of a larger scale problem. I mean, WCW tried the same thing, book the nWo story big time... people enjoyed it, till Starrcade, and then thought, ok what's next? How's Benoit, Jericho, Raven, Guerrero, Hart, Sting going to ascend to the top and stay there. The problem was, while these guys and probably Page were putting on good matches, oh and the cruisers, the rest was shyte. Make no bones about it, while the stories were illogical, the people turned off WCW for the poor wrestling and the lack of logics in the ring. The amount of smoz soap opera endings killed it. This is going to sound primitive and basic, but I still tune into wrestling shows to see... well, wrestling. If I want a soap opera, I tune into Desperate Housewives or Lost or whatever I need to fill my drama intake. If I want comedy I'll watch Southpark or The Man Show or Drawn Together or whatever. Mostly, I tuned into wrestling to watch... wrestling. I tune into rugby league to watch... rugby league. Etc. I want the angles a company puts together to sell me the need for a match, not the company to have a match to sell an interview segment. And that's where I think it's gone wrong. A drop in focus on the wrestling product... Even when the Attitude era was hot, while Stone Cold and the Rock weren't technically outstanding, and yes their entertainment segments were hot, so were the matches. They could tell you a tale in the ring. Right now, and basically since they blew the Invasion story, I'm not overly interested. I could tune in for a Benoit match, a Guerrero match, a Rey match, a Jericho match, a TLC type match, anything of Mankind's... but now to me the magic is gone. I expect the ratings to stay low, because I really think the company has had an unexpected turnover of their best roster due to deaths, retirements, changes of career etc that perhaps weren't foreseen, so right now they're having to rebuild their roster piece by piece by piece. I'd like to see a change in booking philosophy also, to book a show to make us want to see the wrestling. Not wrestling to want to see the T&A and interviews.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;271665]That's circular logic since the WWE wasn't the one actually responsible for WCW going out of business. They bought them out. But realistically it would've been stupid for them not to. They paid like 25 cents on the dollar...they nearly made back the initial invesment on the Ric Flair DVD alone... The truer statement is this: "If the people in charge of WCW hadn't run it into the ground, then maybe there'd be some competition for the WWE today AND THEN they'd be forced to create better TV."[/QUOTE] That's not what we are saying. We're not saying the WWF killed WCW. WCW killed WCW. However, it seemed rather coincidental that WWF was pumping out extremely high quality wrestling and entertainment while WCW seriously pushed them to the limits. That's why we want WCW back. "Funny thing is this is where the old WCW fans like myself come out and say that if WWE had competition they would do better shows.... So, I'm not gonna say that " - that was the comment, which is exactly true, and does not at all mention WWF running WCW into the ground. I'm not sure where that interpretation of jon lawson's comment came from TBPH.

[QUOTE=tristram;272497]This is going to sound primitive and basic, but I still tune into wrestling shows to see... well, wrestling. If I want a soap opera, I tune into Desperate Housewives or Lost or whatever I need to fill my drama intake. If I want comedy I'll watch Southpark or The Man Show or Drawn Together or whatever. Mostly, I tuned into wrestling to watch... wrestling. I'd like to see a change in booking philosophy also, to book a show to make us want to see the wrestling. Not wrestling to want to see the T&A and interviews.[/QUOTE] Interesting. But the truth of the matter is, you're in the minority. Especially when it comes to the casual fans the WWE thrives on The two most successful periods in the WWF/WWE period were the 80s Hulakamania and theAttitude Era. While there were somedecent workers on the roster, it's pretty easy to see that the actual in-ring work wasn't what drove their success. Hell, Attitude Era matches were shorter, had more run-ins, and were more formulaic than anything the E produces now. PPV matches were good, but the matches on Raw....not really. WCW fans were always different. While you give a good explanation of what might get you to turn in, over-all the WWE succeeds by producing better storyline and more interesting characters. That's it. That's what their fans like.

[QUOTE=tristram;272500]T So, I'm not gonna say that " - that was the comment, which is exactly true, and does not at all mention WWF running WCW into the ground. I'm not sure where that interpretation of jon lawson's comment came from TBPH.[/QUOTE] The thread was taling about the reasons why the WWE is hurting. I misinterpreted. I thought he was saying that if the WWE hadn't bought out their competition ...etc...as if it was their fault they bought out WCW.

SPOILER MAYBE BELOW: [COLOR="White"]- When WWE received the 2.5 rating for Raw, there was real panic in Stamford, CT. According to Dave Meltzer, one of the ideas discussed during the week was to combine the rosters, and eliminate the tri-branded direction. At least, it was discussed, and either way, expect WWE to push the reset button on Monday night.[/COLOR] from: Gerweck.net

Archived