Journal discussion thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=soundsofsilver;410201]I see what you're saying Adam... I'm not saying that you SHOULDN'T have programmed the feature, because obviously there is high demand for it, people want it a lot, and it will probably help you sell more copies of the game. From your perspective, it was the right decision to make, you were listening to your customers, and made the appropriate programming decision. I'm just disappointed that there was such demand for this feature; you have addressed in the past why there weren't B shows, and I wish that people would have thought "Oh, he's right, I don't want B shows." So again, you made the right decision based on the demand... I just wish there hadn't have been such demand. Agreed. Agreed- I don't do it. However, it WOULD be in my self-interest to run Wrestlemania-type shows every week, especially given the new National Battle feature. I would like a challenge, but the way the game is right now, I feel like I'm manufacturing my own challenge; I'm restraining myself, when at any point I could just produce out-of-this-world shows every week and put the AI to rest. I would like to be able to fully use the game without thinking I'm holding myself back. Obviously, many people play the game for different reasons, and I play it hoping for a challenging experience as a national promotion competing with another national promotion. As the game works now, it is in my interest to do things thats no rational booker who wanted his product to be sustained for a long time would do- I could just run the same type of feuds with the same type of matches involving the same stars. I already book like this. I think to myself, "Well, I really want to highlight the feud between my top two guys at A* overness coming up in a few months, so right now, I'm going to have by A* overness Champion take on the B+ overness challenger who has been on quite the winning streak." However, the way I play doesn't make any sense in the confines of the game- especially with the National Battle feature- when I could just be having my A* overness stars taking on each other all the time. Agreed. But at the same time, I would like to be in a situation where I'm struggling with National Battle, and NEED to require creative solutions to that. The way it is now, I'd have to think to myself, "I'm losing, but only because I'm handicapping myself; I COULD just throw Hogan vs. Andre the next 8 TV main events." Indeed, I understand the argument of, "If you don't like it, don't do it." But when the game revolves around my success as a booker, and I know that the best way to succeed as a booker would to have a card that looks like this every week: A* vs. A* overness A vs. A A vs. B+ B+ vs. B+ Knowing that that isn't what would REALLY make the best wrestling product in the long term, but it would make the most sense for the game, is a struggle. Because then I constantly am second-guessing myself, "Have I been abusing the system lately by including too many top stars in each show every week? Have I been running this feud too long?" It would be nice if there was something in the game that recognized those things.[/QUOTE] What I personally suggest to you is to run a promotion from scratch. That way you can't run A* vs A* matches week in week out, its where a big challenge lies, and you obviously like a challenge ;)

[QUOTE=soundsofsilver;410454]Like I said, there's exceptions... but they're never LIMITLESS. Even teams with great chemistry, like Edge/Christian vs. the Hardys, would lose a bit of magic in the eyes of the audience if it happened week in and week out. It's hard for me to believe that people contend with this. One of the main challenges of booking is coming up with fresh, creative matches that keep the audience interested, but this is not properly represented in the game.[/QUOTE] You're basing your argument off the idea that you can throw the same two A* level people into the main event and get the match rating like ten shows in a row.. when that isn't true. The game is set up to have semi-realistic fan reactions.. you give then a stale product, the game recognizes that. Even in '07 it seemed to do that, you throw Christian Faith and Tom Gilmore into a main event.. you might get an A to A* rating.. you utilize that main event ten times in a row, probably not going to get that same tip top rating, as the fans have seen it recently. So your argument is, in essence, flawed. Besides one of the challenges in this game is to book realistically.. if you're playing as the SWF, it'd be easy to sign up and push to the moon guys like Hell Monkey, Buddy Garner, Bryan Vessey, Frankie Perez, etcetera.. completely ignoring the [b]STORY[/b] behind the data. Its a little bit more of challenge to book "SWF style".. or "WWE style", if you want a real world example. If you're playing as the SWF, plays as the SWF.. hire hoss's, push huge meat head muscle bound talent, utilize weird gimmicks.. it'd be easy to just push the guys you like but for me, at least, playing the promotion [b]AS[/b] the promotion in the promotions style and still strive for high ratings and the advancement of your popularity is way more fun in the end. When I play as the SWF in the C-verse data, I push Robbie Retro, Big Smack Scott, I hire guys like Jim Force, The Big Problem, T-Rex.. yeah, its more challenging, you could even call it "handicapping" yourself.. but it makes for a more fun game experience. Stacking your roster with Jesus level technical wrestlers, honestly, gets boring faster than you can say "OMFG Hell Monkey rulz!"

[QUOTE=theoutlaw321;410524]Another cool little add that adds a little more to the game. Good deal for those writing diaries also. That way they can make the transitions to the new game without having to go back in and edit all the current contracts to length. :cool:[/QUOTE] That's exactly what I thought. It's about time WWE: Rebirth got updated from TEW05, so first real-world mod that comes out is getting updated to match my save game :D

[QUOTE=soundsofsilver;410449]Interesting Chris, I get VERY sick of seeing the same matches more than a couple times. Edit: It's different with lower card guys, however. To me, there's a magic around the World Title match, and seeing the same two guys continually battling in the SAME matches definitely makes it lose its magic. That is true to a certain degree for me for midcard matches, but not nearly as much. For me, the most exciting main events are matches that have never happened before, or haven't happened in a long time. The Edge vs. John Cena feud, for instance, was less interesting to me because I felt like they wrestled all the time and that kind of killed the magic. There are a lot of feuds where wrestlers face each other a lot- Rock vs. Mankind, Dreamer vs. Raven, Booker T vs. Benoit in WCW, etc... but to me, those aren't as special as the feuds where there's just one or a couple big matchups. For instance, Hogan vs. Andre, Hogan vs. Warrior, Hogan vs. Sting, Austin vs. Rock, etc. were such huge draws in part because they weren't matches that we had seen a lot before, especially anytime before the event. So maybe that's a bit more feasible? In 2001, Rock and Austin appeared a number of times in the Main Event of Raw leading up to WrestleMania, but they were always tag matches and six man tag matches, etc. The fact that it was their first one-on-one match since 1999 made it much more significant. I feel like, with two major stars, if it's their first meeting in quite some time, and there's a lot of hype behind it, it's a much bigger deal than if they had met three times in the last 2 months. An effective feud builds to a climactic match and can't (except in rare circumstances) just have the same thing over and over again. Even if the feud is the type of feud where the audience is intrigued to see match after match between the two of them, there is still a limit to how long they can go before the feud gets stale. So maybe there should be an added bonus for something like that? I mean, if I have two MAJOR stars, I might intentionally make sure they avoid a one-on-one match until my major PPV. I feel that in real life, that would be a great way to emphasize the importance of that PPV and sell more, but in the game, there is no benefit really. I feel part of the challenge of the game should be coming up with creative main events each week, rather than just throwing your top stars together. The truth is, the matches I listed above, and countless others, would not have been as big of draws if they had just met recently on television in a clean one-on-one match, and I feel like that should be reflected in the game.[/QUOTE] they need to put you on the development team bro, youve got more gears going on this anyone, including some staffers probably.

I want to give two thumbs up to Adam for the quick worker tool. Also i want to point the synergies between WMMA and TEW. At least for me this two games are enough differents to be interesting separately, but also a lot of improves of one game are movables to the other. I think that if Adam has done another kind of game instead of WMMA, a lot of new things (maybe minors) wouldn't be in TEW08, so I think the development of these to branchs in parallel is great My 2 cents.

[QUOTE=gazwefc83;411092]there was a quick add worker in TEW2007 how will this version be different?[/QUOTE] I think it will be broken down further- instead of just ability and overness, you can set levels for the skills within their groups (Entertainment, etc.). And btw, I've undergone the proper meditation and feel mentally ready for screenshots. Just putting it out there.

[QUOTE=gazwefc83;411092]there was a quick add worker in TEW2007 how will this version be different?[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Mr T Jobs To Me;411101]I think it will be broken down further- instead of just ability and overness, you can set levels for the skills within their groups (Entertainment, etc.). And btw, I've undergone the proper meditation and feel mentally ready for screenshots. Just putting it out there.[/QUOTE] /nod. I believe that's what is going on. In WMMA you could select a template, or you could select templates from different area's. The Fast worker was upgraded in WMMA, so I expect that TEW will be as good, if not better. Not a "New" feature, but definately I think it's going to be an upgraded feature.

A great addition. Man I have been wishing for this everytime I get to a point in a storyline where I realize that I screwed up or that there is a mistake in the written one that I can't get around. And the parts where they can be involved in two at the same time and evolving an unchained one into something else. I must admit I am starting to develop a man crush on a certain someone! :eek:

Massive addition for me, especially the workers in two storylines at once one. With the added stable features a ton of angles which I've never been able to run very well suddenly look like they'll run a lot better.

Archived