Champions Online

Remianen

This is going to be a problem with every game that doesn't state its focus straight up. For example, EVE is a PvP game. That's how they sell it, that's how they promote it, that's what it is. However, PvE has a very valuable place in the game (it's what you do to support your PvP activities, it's how newbies are introduced to the game, it's the backbone of the game really). You can't PvP there for very long without PvE to replenish your stores, and keep up on skills. CO is trying to serve two masters who are diametrically opposed more often than not, and you can't do that effectively.

So yeah, PvP is going to destroy PvE eventually, unless Cryptic chooses a side.

I totally agree with you there. Balacing these two widely different aspects is one hell of challenge and most of the time, it results in whining in your playerbase anyway. The problem is even more apparent in CO as there's no definite classes. It's hard to balance things when your players can choose about any power in the game freely; possibilities are almost infinite. Not to mention the more they tone down your powers with PvP in mind, the less super heroic you feel on the PvE field.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sucks, I got accepted into the closed beta but the download is something like 9+ gigs. I have the space but due to *other* activities I'm trying to keep my bandwidth down this month so the big bad ISP doesn't cancel my service like they've been threatening me.

I have an account but I can't play it :(

It sucks, I got accepted into the closed beta but the download is something like 9+ gigs. I have the space but due to *other* activities I'm trying to keep my bandwidth down this month so the big bad ISP doesn't cancel my service like they've been threatening me.

I have an account but I can't play it :(

HOLY CRAP! Your ISP rations bandwidth? OMG, I would die if that happened. At any given time (and often on weekends), I have multiple MMOs running at the same time along with the Roku box (Netflix) and crap.

They don't say they ration bandwidth, but it appears that if you use an excessive amount they start paying attention to what you're actually using it for.

IF you were to, say, be using it to file share they send you a nasty letter saying that they will cut off service if you are using their bandwidth for illegal activities. :rolleyes:

I need more practice flying! I felt more like the guy from Galaxy Quest scraping the ship along the wall than Captain Kirk! :D

Only really had time to get through the basic tutorial and then the Earth Stardock and one mission to another system to rescue a freighter. Seems really cool, although I got in late and so hardly had any money & didn't get to explore too much. They're blending some cool RPG elements like assembling your party that I enjoy. Showing some real promise I think. I'm digging the space combat and flanking bonuses.

I am still really not sold on champions yet......It is an intresting game.....and i am still only around level 10 so i am sure the "cool" stuff comes later but at this point i am not to impressed. I am use to a very "slick" looking game and while i get the game is ment to be comicbookie i just can't get into it. The "equipment" system is intresting to say the least *and not in a good way* and crafting is not all that good *crafting is what draws me to most mmo's*.

I will admit i could create exactuly the hero i wanted and that was cool....but so far that is it's only selling point.

I think it's the combat speed. You're supposed to be a super hero, and a powerful one at that if the tutorial where you save the city is anything, and yet it still takes you a solid minute or two of pounding down the obscenely large health bars to kill even a minor criminal.

I was playing Arkham Asylum where you carve through underlings like a hot knife through butter and I was thinking how fun THAT was. THAT is what you should be doing, not this typical MMO stuff.

The graphics are acceptable, the missions are interesting enough (again for a typical MMO)...it's just that combat is too slow.

• 3 months later...
Just an fyi, I'm back in CO regularly so GDS is still really visible. Bouncing around a lot, trying to get a feel for all the various backend changes and testing builds on my various sets but I'm having fun. The new lifetimers lounge is really cool and the <a href="http://www.champions-online.com/node/594925" rel="external nofollow">melee changes they have planned</a> are freakin' awesome sounding. I just realized how much I LOVE me some dual blades, now that I've put together a build I like.

• 6 months later...
i dont know if anyone still plays this game but they emailed me today announcing it was going to become free to play.

You serious:confused::confused::eek:

I guess he is right but here is the catch.

You will have 2 options free and a paid version.The paid version will have things im presuming the free one wont.

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/26/champions-online-going-f2p/

You serious:confused::confused::eek:

I guess he is right but here is the catch.

You will have 2 options free and a paid version.The paid version will have things im presuming the free one wont.

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/26/champions-online-going-f2p/

YES!!!!!!!!!!! I am sorry but i am going to start playing again. To be honest i enjoyed the game but not enough to pay for it lol. Can i can start playing again.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! I am sorry but i am going to start playing again. To be honest i enjoyed the game but not enough to pay for it lol. Can i can start playing again.

It wont go free until early 2011. Im presuming they are gonna try and go toe to toe with D/C Online when it comes out around same time.

Archived