Champions Online

Remianen

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So anyone want to give me an example of a decent build.

Im thinking a Dr Strange type force player

What's your primary goal for the character, role wise?

Dr. Strange would be sorcery, and that's a 'support' framework (lots of heals and such, not much of a focus on damage output). Force is control based with some very good damage but not overwhelmingly so. Are you planning to PvP extensively (or at all)?

Kinesis is almost pure force (with only Regen from Supernatural as the exception) and she's a freakin' blast (pun intended).

Some things I would recommend in a 'decent' build:

- Defensive passive (specifically regen (Supernatural) or invulnerability (Power Armor)). While you can work around this, it becomes a case of adding difficulty for difficulty's sake.

- Soft control - Force has this in spades (knockback)

- Hard control - Holds (or stuns) would fit into this. Anything that shuts a mob down from attacking or moving.

- AoE - Force gets this early (Force Eruption)

Basically, the strongest sets usually have lots of basic elements in them already. Ice, Force, Archery, Munitions, and if you have to have a melee set included, Dual Blades. If you have an idea of what role you want the character to play and/or what style of play you prefer, that'll help tailor the character to that while also maintaining some level of versatility.

Hmm....were you planning on Force(which would be more like The Invisible Woman's shields and missiles),i would think Dr.Strange would be more along the lines of Sorcery(maybe with a sprinkling of Supernatual or Darkness)?
Oh yes.. Sorcery would be more appropriate.

Still havn't had a lot of time to play around yet. How would i do the sprinkling of Supernatural/Darkness

Oh yes.. Sorcery would be more appropriate.

Still havn't had a lot of time to play around yet. How would i do the sprinkling of Supernatural/Darkness

Sorcery can be good as it has a variety of things it can do.....BUT,you have to be VERY careful with your picks as it is easy to accidentally "screw" yourself by picking powers that aren't so good.

Supernatural and Darkness tend to work well with sorcery because of some commonality in their stats that they use....Supernatural has a decent deal of holds and such, while darkness has things like life transfers and some crowd control along with damage....it would sort of work for a sorceror type as doctor strange has used mystical "chains" that are close to some of the Supernatural abilities as well as also some of his "darkness dimension" type spells he sometimes uses would be similar to powers in the Darkness set.If you can be specific with what you're looking for, I'm sure we can help you with a build you will be pleased with.

Geez, you guys are scaring me. I took Sorcery because it looked cool and still don't a clue what I'm doing powerwise (and statwise for that matter).

With this in mind, what you guys (REMI) should consider doing, is making an ongoing list (Build) for what people would like to be (what goes best with what). For example, a "Hulkish" type, A "Superman" Build, a "Batman" Build, a "Wolverine" Build, a Phantom Stranger build, a Flash build (if possible), a Green Lantern build, a Ms. Marvel build, and Invisible Girl Build, a Mr. Fantastic build, a Thing build... Some of them can be piled into one (as some of them are definately similar). However, just the little I played of this game, as a new player it's kind of hard to find all the information needed to make an intelligent decision, without really reading heavily on the forums.

I'm talking strictly in this thread, with links to it in the first few post if possible (Remi). Even the stuff we posted earlier (which probably has changed a bit since) is getting hard to find as this thread grows.

With this in mind, what you guys (REMI) should consider doing, is making an ongoing list (Build) for what people would like to be (what goes best with what). For example, a "Hulkish" type, A "Superman" Build, a "Batman" Build, a "Wolverine" Build, a Phantom Stranger build, a Flash build (if possible), a Green Lantern build, a Ms. Marvel build, and Invisible Girl Build, a Mr. Fantastic build, a Thing build... Some of them can be piled into one (as some of them are definately similar). However, just the little I played of this game, as a new player it's kind of hard to find all the information needed to make an intelligent decision, without really reading heavily on the forums.

I'm talking strictly in this thread, with links to it in the first few post if possible (Remi). Even the stuff we posted earlier (which probably has changed a bit since) is getting hard to find as this thread grows.

I think chris is trying to say something but I can't figure out what it is. :p

Honestly, most of what I "know" is from lots of time in the Powerhouse. I have a decent feel for most sets except Telepathy and Telekinesis (can't seem to figure out costumes to make 'em) and maybe Power Armor (which I am REALLY disappointed with). But I am absolutely married to Regeneration as a passive. The other defensive passives are way too situational for me. Regen is regen, no matter the situation.

Geez, you guys are scaring me. I took Sorcery because it looked cool and still don't a clue what I'm doing powerwise (and statwise for that matter).

The "problem" with Sorcery is that it was once one set with 4 flavors. Then they split it into four sets, each with no flavor and exclusive to one another (as in, if you picked a power in Primal sorcery, it didn't give you credit for an 'in framework' power pick. So if you wanted something from Arcane sorcery, it would be like wanting something from Telekinesis or Fire or Force or Might, requirement wise). That was fixed but the four frames are still really light on personality. That's one reason they've been hyping Celestial Sorcery which rolls out with Bloodmoon. You'll find that you can't fill a build with just one sorcery set (you HAVE to go outside your set, just to fill out). Celestial is supposed to be a full set on its own.

But don't sweat it. If you can do what you want/need to do with no troubles, your build is good. You may want to retcon later on for a variety of reasons but the #1 priority of any build (in my opinion) is a fun character that is effective at whatever it is you want to do. My girls are all built for soloability and that makes them good to great in groups (since many of those skills/powers translate very well). Right now, there isn't much need for support until you get close to the cap (and even then, it's a 'nice to have') but that'll probably change.

I'll see if I can put together some decent builds for the various frameworks I'm familiar with. One thing I've learned is that 'Custom' is often the best way to go, but it requires that you be very familiar with a set or sets to use effectively ('Custom' allows you to choose your own Innate Focus, which allows for more balanced attributes at the start by choosing 'The Hero'. It also allows you to choose focus attributes that might differ from the ones your base framework uses).

I used to play a Telekinetic character, before the switched ID Blade strength booster from Endurance to Ego. I'm by no means an expert on it, but I can probably answer a question or two.

And on an unrelated note, I find myself enjoying Might a great deal. I wish I could retcon some things out (Invincibilty over Defiance and nearly anything over Hurl), but running into a group of Henchmen and Uppercutting all of them to death is just so amusing.

Champion Builder can allow you to test builds

http://www.champions-wiki.com/champion-builder

By no means am I an expert, but reading a little and just playing around I can tell you you'll want a defensive passive ability after level 9 or so. Most people think the best defensives are Regeneration (in the SUpernatural tree) or Invulnerability (in Power Armor). Regeneration is a lil tricky. EVen at lvl 19, with four advantage points spent on it, you will be getting hit hard. For master villains what I do is whatever damage I can. Hold block while I am low and watch myself regen my health back fairly quickly, rinse and repeat.

Invulnerability stacks real well with melee characters that use strength.

Stat wise, everything has a purpose but I've noticed higher tier powers are energy hungry. Even some lower tiered charged powers, Like Telekinetic Explosion, 140 Energy won't even charge that to half. So End and Recovery will allow you to do more damage over the course of a fight.

It is tough to reccomend particular powers from a build since some are still broken, but if you are a ranged character and you want one badass melee ability for fights where mobs crowd you, Chainsaw is high damage in a small cone capable of killing three henchmen at the same time in a few seconds.

Champion Builder can allow you to test builds

http://www.champions-wiki.com/champion-builder

By no means am I an expert, but reading a little and just playing around I can tell you you'll want a defensive passive ability after level 9 or so. Most people think the best defensives are Regeneration (in the SUpernatural tree) or Invulnerability (in Power Armor). Regeneration is a lil tricky. EVen at lvl 19, with four advantage points spent on it, you will be getting hit hard. For master villains what I do is whatever damage I can. Hold block while I am low and watch myself regen my health back fairly quickly, rinse and repeat.

Invulnerability stacks real well with melee characters that use strength.

Stat wise, everything has a purpose but I've noticed higher tier powers are energy hungry. Even some lower tiered charged powers, Like Telekinetic Explosion, 140 Energy won't even charge that to half. So End and Recovery will allow you to do more damage over the course of a fight.

It is tough to reccomend particular powers from a build since some are still broken, but if you are a ranged character and you want one badass melee ability for fights where mobs crowd you, Chainsaw is high damage in a small cone capable of killing three henchmen at the same time in a few seconds.

So are so many Marvel characters im thinking of emulating.. Punisher is the current one

im getting crushed in canada right now..... :( maybe it was the nerfs?

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z302/jo157068/10624604291d5aa91f94f8ee9ef1e9befc9.jpg

heres my new main, dropshot. munitions for energy builder, doublesword (cant remember name) attack for close combat, teleport travel, machine gun for range. fun up until late in canada area, getting crushed now. only a level 7 currently. i have an ice character named Frostbite in the desert, also a level 7.

Archived