Champions Online

Remianen

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHOA!

That patch basically decimated many of the powers that were working well pre-patch! Also, this is a perfect example of why PvE and PvP cannot co-exist in an MMO in real terms, unless the developer splits the systems (i.e. powers work differently depending on whether the target is a mob or a player). What's funny is, the server is going to empty out this week because of the PvP game that launched (officially, in NA/EU) today.

Franchise, you're getting crushed because your build is "bad" (in present day Champions terms). Pure offensive builds are extremely challenging to play and so they're not really 'newbie friendly'. I'd highly recommend creating a character, building it "the right way" (subjective but sadly, there's a formula for doing so) and play it up until you get familiar with the game's systems. Then you'll be better equipped to play your multi-frame character(s).

What I always suggest to folks is, for your first character, stick to ONE framework as your focus and only branch out for Regeneration (Supernatural framework) and a block replacement (force shield, ice shield, electric shield, etc). The reason for that is pretty simple. You need to learn about powers and superstat relationships as well as what concept fits the game's systems. Concept characters were eviscerated by the launch day patch, so now CO is like every other MMO where you have to tailor your concept to what fits the game, not what you imagine. Mixing and matching powers from multiple frameworks is a recipe for disaster because few of those powers is actually going to be boosted normally (because they won't have their superstat scaling in place).

Sadly, the game has become 'have' vs 'have nots'. If you build your character "the right way", the game is crazy easy. If you build your character to a concept, it can be impossibly hard. Franchise, with your current character, take Regeneration at level 8. You'll notice right away how powerful it is.

Rather than a decrease in critter damage, people are reporting an increase. At least, they acknowledged that the amount of reports is significant enough for them to conduct a proper code investigation. I'll give them time to figure out what exactly the bug is 'cause it really looks like an unintentional act.

@maljjin

Tried out my main. Game is still doable, but I always ran with Regen as a passive, which I think wasn't hurt like some defensives because it isn't stat reliant so much as Inv, or LR. Mobs are hitting harder, and I have to block a lot more. The mini mine nerf was a tad too much imo, considering its energy cost and comes with a cool down.

I have a feeling, based on the lack of a Dev response and how this all went down on the test server (three days to test, 2 of em over a weekend when no devs where around) yet patch was still released despite massive complaints about bugs from testers... it tells me maybe this was intended (at least some of it).

If true then the game will not be friendly to concept characters. Soloing will be a min/max affair, and any kind of tough content will require groups. The Grey Dog Society might want to consider an effort for mass recruitment.

I don't mind grouping in games to accomplish goals. I just don't like situations where its necessary to do so to level up. I had enough of that in old school EQ.

I've changed my mind. Given the amount of growing outrage on the forums, I can't see a lot of this stuff staying as is, it would kill the game. Read somewhere that CR posted that Devs were aware of the bugs but they decided to release this patch anyway to fix the economy, and admitted a lot of the changes were not intended.

I sincerely hope this was a mistake. If Cryptic thinks people like being forced to group in order to level up in this day and age of MMO's, then this game is not going to last very long.

there is a thread where Daeke says the damage increase on critters was not intentional and they are looking into a fix for it....if you ask me i think what happened is they did reduce critter damage a little,but then reduced player defenses ALOT,which result in a net gain for critters,DPS-wise.

WHOA!

That patch basically decimated many of the powers that were working well pre-patch! Also, this is a perfect example of why PvE and PvP cannot co-exist in an MMO in real terms, unless the developer splits the systems (i.e. powers work differently depending on whether the target is a mob or a player). What's funny is, the server is going to empty out this week because of the PvP game that launched (officially, in NA/EU) today.

Franchise, you're getting crushed because your build is "bad" (in present day Champions terms). Pure offensive builds are extremely challenging to play and so they're not really 'newbie friendly'. I'd highly recommend creating a character, building it "the right way" (subjective but sadly, there's a formula for doing so) and play it up until you get familiar with the game's systems. Then you'll be better equipped to play your multi-frame character(s).

What I always suggest to folks is, for your first character, stick to ONE framework as your focus and only branch out for Regeneration (Supernatural framework) and a block replacement (force shield, ice shield, electric shield, etc). The reason for that is pretty simple. You need to learn about powers and superstat relationships as well as what concept fits the game's systems. Concept characters were eviscerated by the launch day patch, so now CO is like every other MMO where you have to tailor your concept to what fits the game, not what you imagine. Mixing and matching powers from multiple frameworks is a recipe for disaster because few of those powers is actually going to be boosted normally (because they won't have their superstat scaling in place).

Sadly, the game has become 'have' vs 'have nots'. If you build your character "the right way", the game is crazy easy. If you build your character to a concept, it can be impossibly hard. Franchise, with your current character, take Regeneration at level 8. You'll notice right away how powerful it is.

I could not agree more when it comes to PvE vs PvP,you absolutely cannot have both systems linked and have perfect balance in both,10 years of MMO'ing has taught me that,if nothing else.In the end all you end up with is a never ending parade of nerfs and players on both sides of the fences dissatisfied.

im getting crushed in canada right now..... :( maybe it was the nerfs?

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z302/jo157068/10624604291d5aa91f94f8ee9ef1e9befc9.jpg

heres my new main, dropshot. munitions for energy builder, doublesword (cant remember name) attack for close combat, teleport travel, machine gun for range. fun up until late in canada area, getting crushed now. only a level 7 currently. i have an ice character named Frostbite in the desert, also a level 7.

Looks very much like Deadpool.

I sincerely hope this was a mistake. If Cryptic thinks people like being forced to group in order to level up in this day and age of MMO's, then this game is not going to last very long.
I dont group all that much. If they have changed it that much then im pulling my subscription

Well,here's my first impression:Using my favorite guy (Level 22,Might,w/Defiance&Retaliation).....I did two level 23 missions (+1) and not much problems.....the only times I was defeated it was my fault as a player(Twice I did not watch my surroundings and accidentally draw 6 adds,all+1,that killed me fairly quickly but again that's lack of player skill and not a failing of the game).....Star wise I broke about even,started and finished with 4.5 stars.I was able to defeat groups of 3 Henchman & 1 Villain,all +1,with a little under 50% of my life left after the fight.I was able to defeat a +1 Master Villain,no adds, with about the same amount of life left after the fight.

I did notice the regular henchman dropped items a little more often.I also noticed enemies seem to back away from my charge attacks a little more often,causing me to have to chase them.

In my experience; Yes,it was a bit harder,you have to think a little,so i wouldn't suggest just running carefree into groups of challenging enemies.I would say it is still playable solo though,and not quite as bad as CO forum goers would tell you.

Do I need to make a supergroup costume? If so what colors? Black and grey? Thanks for the invite :)

Last time I checked, I couldn't make an SG costume because everything I did to try to get a grey primary, black secondary color scheme, generated a bug report. I'm gonna try black & grey to see if that takes.

heh it's not. Woo boy. Encienda, my munitionist, got her mini mines eviscerated. Seriously, they nerfed the power by like 75%+. I admit it was a bit strong (though I didn't know it wasn't meant to turn cannon fodder/henchmen into mulch all by itself), they killed it dead. Only reason I'm keeping it is because it serves as a prereq for Lead Tempest (i.e. if I dump it, I'd have to take another power in Munitions so I can get LT at 17 and there are no other powers I can get that fit her concept).

Also, Might got hit pretty hard defensively due to the change on Defensive Combo.

I dumped Acrobatics on my archer and got Swinging instead and all I have to say is....WOW. That is one FUN power. Took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of it in the powerhouse but man, it is cool as hell.

heh it's not. Woo boy. Encienda, my munitionist, got her mini mines eviscerated. Seriously, they nerfed the power by like 75%+. I admit it was a bit strong (though I didn't know it wasn't meant to turn cannon fodder/henchmen into mulch all by itself), they killed it dead. Only reason I'm keeping it is because it serves as a prereq for Lead Tempest (i.e. if I dump it, I'd have to take another power in Munitions so I can get LT at 17 and there are no other powers I can get that fit her concept).

Also, Might got hit pretty hard defensively due to the change on Defensive Combo.

I dumped Acrobatics on my archer and got Swinging instead and all I have to say is....WOW. That is one FUN power. Took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of it in the powerhouse but man, it is cool as hell.

Might just be that i havn't got high enough to notice the changes.. Acrobatics is great fun though.. Bounce round like im OD-ing on sugar :) Tried swinging but just couldn't get the hang of it.

Mini mines nerf had the best patch notes ever lol.

All I can say on Might is boy,am I glad my guy went with Beatdown then Defiance as a slotted passive.

From what I hear people have enjoyed Swinging and Super Jump(from a fun perspective).

Hmm.....I did a little late night play tonight(not feeling well,couldn't sleep:().....same Might character as before,today I was able to consistently able to kill groups of of +4 henchmen and a +4 Villain,having 75% of my life left after the fight,I was able to solo Rain of Frogs with only 3 defeats and all 3 were my fault for poor aggro management.....did they change something again?

• 4 weeks later...
I just dropped a hunnert in the C-Store and I can see another Benjamin leaving my possession by the end of the weekend. As a result, each of my characters now has 8 costume slots and a ton of new costume pieces to work with.

Wuwu! :p

Lol nice....I just cracked 30 a few days back on my Might guy and started Monster Island; even though Might kinds of sucks for killing stuff compared to some of the flashier sets, I['m still enjoying myself.

Archived