Hogan to TNA?

SaySo

The real question is how bad TNA will drop the ball with this ? Yeah, that's how much faith I have in them...

Hogan is a tricky pony. He is still a big draw, they should make some decent money out of his name (unless they already dropped the ball by overpaying him), but he must be book carefully to preserve his status and hide his weaknesses.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. People may not like it... May quote the same things that they've disliked about him since day one... But I'll tell you one thing... Those same people will be watching when he debuts with TNA.

As Self said,

Hulk Hogan. Still a draw.

Well, I have little-to-no interest in seeing him on TV, but LIVE!!! In a heartbeat. I'd regret it if I didn't.

In no way, shape or form did Hogan 'put over' Billy Kidman. He had a match or two with him. Kidman even won one, but he wasn't put over in the slightest.

Just being in a program with Hogan put over Kidman, just like Vampiro with Sting.

As for Austin, he wouldn't job to Hall, but in his state Hall was lucky to even have a job. He wouldn't job to Lesnar, but I hear the plan was for it to be a match on RAW with no build, which is a ludicrous idea. Guerrero I didn't know about, so no opinion there.

Austin had a contract. He was such a whiny baby that he ran away from the company to avoid having to lose matches he didn't want to lose. Hogan exercised a contract clause he had.

But guess what? Hogan lost to Goldberg on Nitro. Hogan lost to Arn Anderson on Nitro. There was no real build to the Goldberg match, just an announcement the week before.

Hogan has done questionable things in his career, but he has made up for a lot of it. Jobbing to The Rock TWICE. Didn't he lose to Brock on Raw? Didn't Flair lose to Brock on Raw?

Brock is a point, Arn is a point, but how is losing to THE ROCK, one of the five biggest superstars in the history of wrestling, considered 'jobbing'? The Rock was already a Megastar.

Hogan may have lost to Goldberg in a match with one week build, but he shouldn't have. Matches like that shouldn't happen with one week build. They should be properly promoted so they mean something. Austin knows that. Hogan apparently doesn't, so I just lost respect for him.

I'm not really anti-Hogan, just some of the pro-Hogan examples make no sense to me.

Its not that he jobbed to The Rock its that he didn't bitch about it one bit. He also never bitched about "jobbing" to Goldberg.

I might be going out on a limb without research but after Austin won the championship. Did he do the J.O.B to anyone outside of main event scene by then? Taker, Rock, Kane, hell did he ever lose clean to Triple H I remember several reports that Austin refused to lose that triple threat match that Ventura was set to book he refused to lose to HHH so they planted Foley in the match. Now if memory serves Austin had an injury and didn't compete in the match but none the less the first time I remember Austin putting over HHH was what like 2001.

So in that regard I'm not saying Austin HASN'T I'm saying I don't remember it. So tell me who Austin has "made". You could make a flimsy case for The Rock although lets face it Rock made himself. So who has Austin brought up to the main event scene

What do John Studd, Yokozuna, The Undertaker, The Ultimate Warrior, Lanny Poffo, Andre the Giant, King Kong Bundy, The Giant (Big Show), Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Lex Lugar, Sting, Goldberg, The Rock, and Kurt Angle all have in common?

They have all beaten Hulk Hogan. This list only includes The War to Settle the Score, which was broadcast on MTV, PPV, Saturday Night’s Main Event, and Clash of Champions.

This is a very incomplete list of who has beaten him.

For the record, I liked Lesnar the first time I saw him on WWE TV, but that win over Hogan on SmackDown! REALLY made an iMPACT! on me.

Hogan did something right there. I'm not sure WWE has anybody that can put someone over as much (to me at least) now.

Just saying, though.

:)

I say the signings of Hogan/Bischoff and posibly Flair they will start get 2.5 ratings but time will tell. As far as size in TEW terms it would be a international company because of their success over seas.

If Hogan, Flair, and Bischoff keep it consistent with the 1.1 one though, TNA might have to break out the check books once again and bring in The Ultimate Warrior!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Imagine the locker room though....

Hogan and Russo... Then Flair and Russo, and Flair and Bischoff....

That would be all different kinds of harmonious....

in terms of TEW, does this signing(s) increase TNA's popularity?

If so, what do you guys think it should be now?

Not yet I mean time will tell. If the t.v ratings increase and the crowds for pay per views are larger and buyrates increase then yes increase their pop but you can't just increase their pop because someone famous joins. If thats the case you'd have to increase WWE's pop because of their celeberity hosts?

So before mod makers start sky rocketing TNA to Global I think they need to let these guys prove they can draw. The likes of Foley, Nash, Sting, DDP, Kurt Angle and even indy darlings like Joe have moved them from doing what like 1.0's to 1.1 or 1.2's.

Hogans "debut" will get a good pop but its going to take more than a signing to move the meter above a 1.5

So the same Hogan thats doing a national book tour and has been on and off WWE t.v getting the biggest reaction of the night every time he's on is a mistake to bring into a promotion looking to grow in visiblity and credibilty? (By this I mean his old me-first attitude, the more recent nonsense off screen with his family and the tapes released where he and his son talked about spinning what occurred to him into some TV nonsense.)

Seriously the Hogan hate is blown way out of proportion. Its not like he's been in TNA for a month and has won the World Championship. For all we know he's being brought in as an authority figure or to fend off the MEM.

Foley wrestling at 40 has gone by without a fuss after he blasted guys like Flair and Hogan for doing exactly what he's doing right now. Foley constantly harped on Hogan and Flair for hanging on past their prime and continuing to wrestle but Foley gets a pass? Flair coming out of retirement to go to Australia didn't get any hate around here. Sting re upping for another year with TNA didn't get a reaction.

However the the biggest name in pro wrestling history (arguably) joining TNA in an unknown capcity is a huge let down and draws the ire of people? Seriously point to me what Hogan has done that is so horrible? In this decade.

Lets look at since he came back to the WWE. He did the job to the Rock at Wrestlemania. Sure it was a given but not one backstage report had him trying to "beat the Rock for the big rematch" or one grumbling.

The next month he beats HHH and that was understandable Hogan was riding a huge wave of popularity and the E was right to milk it for all it was worth.

Hogan drops the title the next month to the Undertaker making him nothing more than a transition champ. It was a way to get the title off of HHH and onto the Taker without having Taker beat HHH after he just came back. Instead they let the one guy beat him that nobody was going to frown upon.

Then Hogan works with Edge and wins the tag titles only to drop them to the Un Americans the next month. So Hogan was working a mid card program after being a transition champ.

Then Hogan jobs to Brock Lesnar with blood and everything. He taps out to Kurt Angle.

So really tell me what in all of that work leads people to say Hogan is such a disease for TNA to bring in. Frankly its already being reported that TNA is a top search on twitter for the first time in its history. This is already paying off, its not going to shoot TNA into the number one spot but its going make them their money back I'm sure.

First off, don't put comments in where I didn't (or anyone else for that matter) state them. Hogan may be a draw but that doesn't make it a good thing. Suddenly we can ignore the weird and/or offensive garbage Paris Hilton or some other celeb may do just because they produce a good movie?

Sooner or later it always catches up to them. Always. I don't care about Brock or Angle and Hogan. They were at completely opposite ends of their career. Hogan isn't on top anymore so he's forced to accept more than he clearly would during his reign. That is all I've focused on. Not Foley, or Austin, or Nash or anyone else for that matter.

The equity in Hogan will be weighed by what kind of exposure and buys TNA can eventually make for them against the damage he does in the locker room.

If TNA lucks out and they have a lot of Gene Oakerlund/Brutus Beefcake types that are pro Hogan, then this will probably work out for TNA. How well, I don't know. But I personally think it wont work out well behind the scenes.

Great that Hogan played ball on his last run. He's in the twilight of his career regardless of drawing power. Is he one of the greatest? I wouldn't argue that in the least. Is it even possible he's done a HBK and become more selfless in his old age? Heck even that is possible.

But I reserve to remain pessimistic in my opinion that he'll put TNA over in a way that will help them out in the long run. And I mean pulling in over 2.1 ratings for their TV show even after he leaves, and pulling up TNA's PPV buys. Hogan definitely has a name still and can still stir up interest. But is it more than just a freak show interest like one who can't help but stare at a train wreck?

The idea that he didn't play ball when he was on top is crazy as well. VINCE MCMAHON booked him to be unbeatable, but guess what? His feuds with Piper and Orndorff in the 80s MADE those two men legends, and they were always made to look good. He was the meal ticket though for the WWF and of course he was pushed to win. And it worked. But to say he didn't play ball is just flat out ridiculous. He put over The Undertaker, he made Piper and Orndorff look like a million bucks, he put over Yokozuna, he made DDP look like a superstar in WCW, he put over Warrior, he put over Lex Luger on Nitro when he was at his nWo best...

People who don't like Hogan can point to the fact that he's been on the top for too long, but he's been a draw. Fans have wanted to see him on top and bookers have responded by doing what was making them money and running him out there. You can't fault them, or him for that.

Edit: I still don't understand why he gets the heat he gets when guys like Flair have refused to put guys over, Austin was a COMPLETE PUNK during his run and didn't put over ANYONE really. Hogan gets tremendous grief for something that all guys in his position have done to varying degrees.

That's obviously a terrible decision made by the booking team, but it isn't like Hogan forced that, he was just part of a bad storyline.

Kevin Nash was the booker at the time. I guess he didn't have any problem ending Goldberg streak or being part of that fingerpoke of doom. I wish situation like that would be prevented by the wrestlers participating in them. That's what creative control was for. But i guess there wasn't any problem with that going down.

Kevin Nash was the booker at the time. I guess he didn't have any problem ending Goldberg streak or being part of that fingerpoke of doom.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Nash didn't become the booker until either late 99 or 2000.

Edit: FWIW, Nash has said he did not begin booking until later in 1999 and did NOT book that storyline. To back that up, Bischoff was definitely still in control of WCW as he is the one who ordered Tony Schiavone to say the thing about Foley.

This is hilarious. Everyone overreacts way too quickly to these news. Much like ANYTHING on sports talk radio...everything is great, then one loss and the sky is falling, we need to bench this guy, oh and by the way, fire the coach.

Yeah, you go petition your favorite team to hire Barry Switzer. G'head, do it.

Agreed. People may not like it... May quote the same things that they've disliked about him since day one... But I'll tell you one thing... Those same people will be watching when he debuts with TNA.

Not this one. There isn't a thing TNA could possibly do to make Hogan the least bit palatable to me.

I'm going with a wait and see attitude on this. Up front it is nothing but a postive for TNA to have the biggest wrestling star ever in their promotion. If they wanted to grow their fan base, they have the guy to do it with now.

Eh, I wouldn't call Hogan the biggest wrestling star ever. I kinda think his lack of crossover success (how much box office have his films produced?) takes away from the 'biggest' designation. Top 3, no doubt. Biggest? Um, maybe to some people.

I don't like it. While his name value is unmistakable, his ego is also. He's also never been known as a positive locker room guy. I hope TNA can drain as much as they can from his name and then dump him before he creates/causes too much chaos.

Archived