patriot and foreigner gimmicks....

alden

In america we have guys like jim duggan and the patriot who's gimmick is well that they are patriots.......they stand for the "american way of life".......then we had guys like lance storm.....Mr. Fuji....and now world elite who are basicly anti americans........

My question is this.......do they do this in other countrys. Like say is there a british *or what every contry they are in* version of jim duggan ? A person who is alwayd defending the country. And do they have american wrestlers do the who anti british *or what every country they happen to be in* gimmicks? This is something that i have been wondering lately.....I know a gaijin is some times the gimmick of a wrestler but it is not always played up as a heel......Then again gaijin is just something they are called also.

In america we have guys like jim duggan and the patriot who's gimmick is well that they are patriots.......they stand for the "american way of life".......then we had guys like lance storm.....Mr. Fuji....and now world elite who are basicly anti americans........

My question is this.......do they do this in other countrys. Like say is there a british *or what every contry they are in* version of jim duggan ? A person who is alwayd defending the country. And do they have american wrestlers do the who anti british *or what every country they happen to be in* gimmicks? This is something that i have been wondering lately.....I know a gaijin is some times the gimmick of a wrestler but it is not always played up as a heel......Then again gaijin is just something they are called also.

Good question.... Could it be that America is more like a melting pot and our wrestling is more entertainment based? Like in Japan it's treated more as sport so there aren't really gimmicks. Mexico, I'm pretty sure they have foreigner gimmicks...

Doesn't every other country hate American's? I am sure their are some egotistical American gimmicks floating around

Not so much since Obama was elected. In fact We're one of the more liked Nations now... but yes I'm sure there are anti-American gimmicks in other countries. In Mexico I've even seen a few on Lucha Libre tv.

Not so much since Obama was elected. In fact We're one of the more liked Nations now... but yes I'm sure there are anti-American gimmicks in other countries. In Mexico I've even seen a few on Lucha Libre tv.

I think you have over-estimated the Obama Effect there... people like him more than Bush, but that doesn't mean that America has become popular around the world all of a sudden.

On topic though, local patriot vs evil foreigner is done all over the world. At one of the local wrestling shows we were at we had IIRC "Stirling's Own" (actually from Glasgow I think) against The American Dragon (yes, they were pretending it was Danielson under the mask). There was even Britain's own James Mason against some huge fat dude who was meant to be German, I think.

I'd love to see a coalition of people from the various nations that beat England at football (the game where you kick the ball :p) runnning around gloating that England lost to them at whatever major tournament England didn't win. That would be awesome and would totally get over.

I think you have over-estimated the Obama Effect there... people like him more than Bush, but that doesn't mean that America has become popular around the world all of a sudden.

I'm only going by his International approval ratings of course. I'm not IN the countries to give know for sure.

Personally, even though I like your President a bit more than the old one, it has no impact on my feelings about America as a whole. He's just one guy.

Other countries do the Patriot/Foreign Devil thing, but perhaps it's more prominent in America because Americans seem to really care. I mean REALLY care. To a level I find shocking. I like being Welsh. I own a Welsh flag, but if some English Swine came and burned it, my only reaction would be "Dude. That cost £10." I get the feeling if I was to do that to an American flag I'd get my ass kicked and then hauled off to jail.

Anti-American gimmicks are used because it's easy to get a reaction by using them.

P.S. I kinda like America. It has Hollywood after all.

Personally, even though I like your President a bit more than the old one, it has no impact on my feelings about America as a whole. He's just one guy.

I always got the impression that other countries judge America based on our current leader. Which is why for the last 8 years everyone thought we were violent, stupid rednecks. Our current leader is more peaceful (arguably to a fault) and has actively gone out to improve our image overseas.

He probably should've gotten a better Secretary of State though. If Hillary came to my country, I'd take it as an act of war.

Other countries do the Patriot/Foreign Devil thing, but perhaps it's more prominent in America because Americans seem to really care. I mean REALLY care. To a level I find shocking.

Depends on where you live in America. Down south and in middle America you have the overly patriotic, blue collar type who hate immigrants. Yeah... those treat America like they're married to it. Up here where I live, it isn't as extreme since their are so many different types of people and different point of views. That being said....

I like being Welsh. I own a Welsh flag, but if some English Swine came and burned it, my only reaction would be "Dude. That cost £10." I get the feeling if I was to do that to an American flag I'd get my ass kicked and then hauled off to jail.

THAT much is true. You'd probably be killed. Anywhere you go.

Besides, it's illegal to burn the American flag in the states.

Depends on where you live in America. Down south and in middle America you have the overly patriotic, blue collar type who hate immigrants. Yeah... those treat America like they're married to it. Up here where I live, it isn't as extreme since their are so many different types of people and different point of views. That being said....

We're jaded and cynical, AfRoMaN. Someone burns a flag at a show in New York, we'd be like "Oh this. I guess I'm supposed to be angry, huh? Okay. RAHHHHHGGGG!" :p

But the patriot/foreigner thing is done pretty much all over. Even in Japan, in some entertainment based promotions, you'll have the arrogant gaijin who talks up their country (but doesn't necessarily talk down Japan) or who is promoted as the <nationality> <adjective/superlative>. It's probably the easiest and least subtle gimmick pairing to use.

promoted as the <nationality> <adjective/superlative>

Coming to a ring near you soon... The Trinidadian Enormous! :p

Vis a vis Obama, yeah, i wouldn't take "international approval ratings" too seriously. In the eyes of most, nothing's changed.

And as for "rargh i loves mah countray" types, the more 'homogenic' areas tend to be the most patriotic (or at least xenophobic) - the north over here, the south across the pond.

THAT much is true. You'd probably be killed. Anywhere you go.

Besides, it's illegal to burn the American flag in the states.

No, it's not. It's unconstitutional for any level of US government to have a law outlawing flagburning, and has been for 20 years. A few years ago Congress tried to get a flag-burning amendment through, but it didn't get past the Senate. It's symbolic expression protected by the First Amendment.

This thread did not go the direction i thought it would lol......I always figured there was the patriot forginer gimmicks......just wondering who the people were........i guess there is no big star you can point to. I guess hogan could have even been called as having a patriot gimmick or slaughter.

We're jaded and cynical, AfRoMaN. Someone burns a flag at a show in New York, we'd be like "Oh this. I guess I'm supposed to be angry, huh? Okay. RAHHHHHGGGG!" :p

LOL well, I'm not sure we'd be that sarcastic about it, but we wouldn't look to lynch the guy as quickly as they would in say... Texas.

No, it's not. It's unconstitutional for any level of US government to have a law outlawing flagburning, and has been for 20 years. A few years ago Congress tried to get a flag-burning amendment through, but it didn't get past the Senate. It's symbolic expression protected by the First Amendment.

RIGHT... See, I remember the flag burning bill was stopped by the senate which led to republicans tagging libirals as "Un-American." I guess I spaces that part. My bad.

Vis a vis Obama, yeah, i wouldn't take "international approval ratings" too seriously. In the eyes of most, nothing's changed.

So you guys over there don't see us as any better? Shame. Our media paints a prettier picture though and makes us out to seem like this wonderful new country in the eyes of others. Of course though... it's the US media so I should take what they say with a grain of salt.

Wealthy Americans bragging about their decadent Western ways?

Boy if they did that, there merchandise would be priceless. I'd be the first one on line to buy there "I love Bush" t-shirts.

He probably should've gotten a better Secretary of State though. If Hillary came to my country, I'd take it as an act of war.

She has gone to your country AfRo...

Over here there is "American", the type of person we mock on mock the week, and then there is "American", the type of person children think are normal because they recognise the voice from the Disney channel.

We pretend to mock you, but most of you are (and it pains me to say this) bearable.

I think the majority of Texans are Texas first, then the US. So if you really want to get heat bash Texas or burn it's flag.

True. Though they're a pretty patriotic folk pretty evident by there music. Though that "proud to be an American" song is pretty good, I admit.

I'd love to see a coalition of people from the various nations that beat England at football (the game where you kick the ball :p) runnning around gloating that England lost to them at whatever major tournament England didn't win. That would be awesome and would totally get over.

I bolded the part I had to comment on:

I see this one comedian, his name eludes me atm, on comedy central and he was talking about a football game he attended while visiting his friends in europe. Two things stood out one was the half time when britain was beating germany they started a chant kind of like the wave where it happened in sections, he said everybody in one section stood up and chanted " If you won the war, stand up!" then the next section then the next, " so it was kind of like the wave with a big F you in the middle of it.

Is this a common occurance?

The other part was about how arrogant americans ( and I use that term broadly) come off to other countries, "For example soccer, the rest of the world calls the game football, *sniff* *middle finger* SOCCER! Thats the general american attitude."

On topic, yes sadly corporate greed and the idiocracy of our goverment has led the rest of the world to somehow hate all americans. I'm sure thats not true for every person in every other country but its the general consensus. So I'm sure in every country that has wrestling they have an "evil american" that is out to destroy the (insert country name here) way of life. Much like all of the "american hero" vs "evil shiek" gimmicks we have here.

I'm not much of a football fan myself, I've never really gotten into team sports because I'm not good at thinking the same way as other people, and so don't usually work well in a team. At least in my own opinion, though others seem to think I do for some reason. :p

But as far as chants go, they can get pretty creative and can often be really funny. I remember hearing a section of fans chant "Going down, going down, going down" toward a team that were looking like being relegated to the lower leagues, to which the response was "So are we, so are we, so are we". That's just my kind of funny, but I'm sure others could tell you countless other stories.

You can even relate it to wrestling... if you listen to the crowd whenever the WWE is in the UK you can get some great chants going, with guys like Regal and Jericho being on the wrong end of them because they both actually know what many of the British insults mean. I'd give a specific example that always makes it through the US swear censors, but since it's a decent enough swear in the UK I probably shouldn't. :)

As far as "evil American" gimmicks, it's easy to do. The big, rich, influential and often better than everyone else (athletically at least) country out to oppress the rest of the world and tell everyone they're better than them. I can only wish Joss Thompson in the Cornellverse is pushing something like that in TEW2010, since that's basically what I was gonna have him do in a 21CW diary I never done. Just have him reel of a bunch of names like Strong, Chord, Keith, Vessey, McFly, Dread, Nemesis, Vibert... any American that's ever been considered to have influenced the world of wrestling and claim he's just like them. :)

How can you bash America now? We have the coolest leader ever :D

Forget his policies, forget his stance on health care or Iraq...

The man puts The Fonz to shame AND can swat a fly with his bare hands. AND called Kanye West a jackass.

You just don't get that kind of cool in other countries. Unless Elton John becomes PM or something :D

Archived