The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

On th subject of Danielson I would like to see WWE a lose cannon Gimmick with him like the one Pillmen had back in the 90's I think he could do that really good

I don't think Danielson could pull off a full-blown "loose cannon" ala Pillman, but I do think it would be interesting to see him continue to develop his character as someone who isn't the stereotypical WWE guy, but is so good that he'll make it in spite of that. And, whether he's a face or a heel going forward, he needs to continue to display the kind of intensity and passion he did during that segment with Cole.

Pillman seemed to have more... verve than Danielson. I don't know if I'd like a loose cannon gimmick for him. I see him in a similar vein to how Bret Hart was when he first came to the WWF. Bret really was in many ways to take a Kevin Nash description... vanilla. They were getting him to play the Cowboy gimmick seeing as he was from Calgary, but it was more or less hiding his excellent ring work to carry the gimmick. Of course, we know that Bret then linked with Jimmy Hart and Jim Neidhart and they got the tag team feud of a generation with the British Bulldogs and the rest is history, and I think Bret's exposure was grown by him being more natural, more... legitimate for wont of a TEW term, and being exposed to wrestle against the British Bulldog in particular. The two worked outstandingly well.

I'd get Danielson into tag team wrestling, and try and showcase his wrestling attributes with a raw power house tag team partner.

WWE has released Carlito found this on WWE.com It said it was due to wellness policy violtion

More specifically, he was released because he refused to go to rehab. It was his first violation.

Edit: Hopefully Carlito gets the help he needs, one way or another. The last guy I remember getting released because he refused rehab is Umaga.

I don't know exactly how I'd like to see it play out, but I'd love it if they could continue to have Bryan Danielson play to the internet fans. Saying his real name, making comments about backstage politics and Vince liking big guys and Vince always being in the announcer's ear, mocking the fact that he can take Batista to the limit but can't beat rookies...not really a loose cannon gimmick, but sort of the PG aspect of DX.

Off topic I know but... I do.;)

This is the stupidest thing I ever heard! If Law and Order were a wrestler, it would probably be the Brooklyn Brawler.

I'm not sure what is going on with Daniel Bryan following the last NXT, but I like it. He cut a good promo (and the Cm Punk and William Regal reactions were excellent) showed plenty of fire which is something that the catchphrase-heavy, merchandise-focused WWE machine seems to have largely forgotten how to do, and Michael Cole got roughed up by a vegan in street clothes.

I'm not sure I would consider him having a loose cannon gimmick, more just a guy who is done taking crap and being humble even if it means slapping around an announcer once in a while.

I'm not sure what is going on with Daniel Bryan following the last NXT, but I like it. He cut a good promo (and the Cm Punk and William Regal reactions were excellent) showed plenty of fire which is something that the catchphrase-heavy, merchandise-focused WWE machine seems to have largely forgotten how to do, and Michael Cole got roughed up by a vegan in street clothes.

I'm not sure I would consider him having a loose cannon gimmick, more just a guy who is done taking crap and being humble even if it means slapping around an announcer once in a while.

I came into this thread to post just about this (Just watched it). I was going to say, I still haven't played any current RW mods but from where I would have had Danielson stat wise for entertainment would see a decent boost. Acting, Charisma, Mic Skills all improved a big amount from the last promo I saw him cut :eek: I'm more excited about his run now then I was when CM Punk in the ECW days looked like the company was behind him.

Okay i've just watched NXT due to all the hype on here. That promo by Danielson was seriously one of the best promos i have seen in a long time. Really hope they go somewhere with this.

I had to go check out the segment on WWE.com because of what people were saying in this thread. That was definitely an awesome promo. I marked out hard for all the jabs at McMahon and the jabs at Cole being "a poor man's replacement for JR."

Am I crazy for not finding that the great awe-inspiring groundbreaking promo that everyone thinks it is?

No... I didn't think it was that great either. In fact, it sounded like he kept screwing it up to me. I really like the guy, so I didn't want to say anything about it though.

I think it's more what he said, then how he said it though, to be fair.

If it's what he said then doesn't the credit goes to WWE's writers and not him?

Which is ironic since the promo was a complaint about how WWE creates stars instead of going with who's more talented.

/nod. But Daniels is the darling right now, I say let everyone enjoy it. Let's not kill it anymore then we probably already did. (PM me, we can carry on the discussion differently).

No... I didn't think it was that great either. In fact, it sounded like he kept screwing it up to me. I really like the guy, so I didn't want to say anything about it though.

I think it's more what he said, then how he said it though, to be fair.

Yep. That's what I liked about it. And there were definitely times when he was stumbling over words but he never let it drag him down completely.

/nod. But Daniels is the darling right now, I say let everyone enjoy it. Let's not kill it anymore then we probably already did. (PM me, we can carry on the discussion differently).

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the majority; I doubt your opinion will "kill" it for anyone. Even if you do think the promo was actually cut by Christopher Daniels. :D

His delivery wasn't perfect, I agree. But the promo came across to me as genuine and believable, something I haven't felt all that often in recent WWE.

I think its more of who said it and a combination of the right guy saying the right thing. Its like DB was talking for the entire IWC like they could jump up and say "YES EXACTLY. Plus its a guy that has cred saying it, its not some guy thats got no skil and talent who came right off the modeling pages into the WWE.

That combined with most people expect what a 3 or 4 in the charisma department for DB and what he delivered was a good 7 I'd say so thats twice as good as most people expect if John Cena put on twice as good of a match as usual people would stand up, take notice and talk about it.

His delivery wasn't perfect, I agree. But the promo came across to me as genuine and believable, something I haven't felt all that often in recent WWE.

Well said, agree completely.

/nod. But Daniels is the darling right now, I say let everyone enjoy it.

Right now? Have you not been on the internet the last 5 years :p I know what you mean though :)

A bit random but I was just thinking about how Justin Roberts has really improved from when he started announcing on the ECW brand. I didn't see many ECW shows back then, but something just seemed odd about him. Watching some RAW stuff lately I've noticed he's actually pretty decent.

Am I crazy for not finding that the great awe-inspiring groundbreaking promo that everyone thinks it is?

Well, I mean, that depends on what you mean by "awe-inspiring groundbreaking."

Did I think it was a small step for man, but a great leap for mankind? No. I thought it was... maybe the top 3 promos of this year. Maybe the best, but to be honest I haven't been loving many promos this year so I don't want to imply something by that statement.

It was good. I'd give it an 8/10, probably.

It came off as not being whiny bullcrap, which is good for a company that thinks occasional trickles of blood is "guts and gore."

I thought his delivery was pretty good though, not perfect but nothing really struck me as overly awkward. And keeping in mind that in his promo he got in shots at Miz, Matt Striker, McMahon and Michael Cole. I think he nailed it.

Well, I mean, that depends on what you mean by "awe-inspiring groundbreaking."

Did I think it was a small step for man, but a great leap for mankind? No. I thought it was... maybe the top 3 promos of this year. Maybe the best, but to be honest I haven't been loving many promos this year so I don't want to imply something by that statement.

It was good. I'd give it an 8/10, probably.

It came off as not being whiny bullcrap, which is good for a company that thinks occasional trickles of blood is "guts and gore."

Best Promo of the year? Wow man, did you not see the HBK/Undertaker promos that literally made me buy Wrestlemania? Have you not heard any CM Punk Promos or Chris Jericho promos? Do you not watch Ken Anderson and what he's doing over there with a mic?

The promo was average in delivery and above average in content. I'm not hating or anything but CM Punk singing happy birthday to Rey's daughter, Mr. Anderson with his "A HOLE" promos, everything Chris Jericho does that involves the world sycophant, those HBK/Undertaker promos and then HBK's retirement speech. Even Batista has had some great promos this year.

It was the best promo on NXT by a rookie I'll give him that honor and that honor alone.

Again not hating different strokes for different strokes but man if you didn't think Taker/HBK, Anderson's promos, CM Punk's birthday song and even just last Monday that Jericho/Hart promo was miles ahead of this guys promo. Its not just you I see a lot of guys really proclaiming this the best promo of the year when it wasn't even best promo of the month and most likely not best promo of the week.

I like the guy I really do but I didn't see it as this awe inspiring promo. I saw it as a "Did they just let him say that? Thats freakin awesome" promo and had plenty of shock value and was differently talked about but again its because that promo was directed to us. That promo's entire purpose was to get US talking. It was OUR guy saying the same things you can find on every page of this thread. Thats what made it awesome but I refuse to say that something that was a "shoot" was better than good old fashioned wrestling storytelling promos. It was good in a "oh man this is real" kinda way but as far as anything more than that it was just above average.

Best Promo of the year? Wow man, did you not see the HBK/Undertaker promos that literally made me buy Wrestlemania? Have you not heard any CM Punk Promos or Chris Jericho promos? Do you not watch Ken Anderson and what he's doing over there with a mic?

To be honest, I haven't been especially impressed with Punk's promos; I love his character to death. But he seems to have been in pretty much a holding pattern the past 6 months. (Almost said years. TYPO OF THE CENTURY.) He keeps saying the same stock phrases, and he's feuding with Rey goddamned Mysterio.

As for Jericho... eh. I like him, and his mic skills, but he, too, hasn't really been DOING anything.

That said, Miz and Jericho have been working the mic well, just not in what I would call "promos." When they come out and commentate matches, is that a promo? When Jericho is hanging out at ringside shouting at Josh Matthews, is that a promo? I don't think so, personally.

As for Anderson, to be honest, I saw him start to hit his stride, but then House came back into season and TNA stopped recording on my DVR. So no, I really haven't seen much from him.

And, the Taker/Michaels promo(s), I missed the really meaty ones. Saw parts of them in montages, but I didn't see them. I saw some of the earlier ones, and again, wasn't especially impressed. Like the parts where Michaels was all "Fight me Undertaker" and Undertaker was like "Nah." It was a boring promo.