The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Ok gave the E a chance again and severely disappointed. This is their no2 ppv and they give me this? 2 decent matches and 1 mediocre and that is it? Puleeaze.

Quite clearly though this PPV was one of the weaker one's the year in terms of in-ring action. It was more storyline based (Nexus, 'Taker).

You choose a really bad PPV (and should have known that from the booked card) to give "the E a chance". It'd be like giving TNA a chance at Lockdown.

Quite clearly though this PPV was one of the weaker one's the year in terms of in-ring action. It was more storyline based (Nexus, 'Taker).

You choose a really bad PPV (and should have known that from the booked card) to give "the E a chance". It'd be like giving TNA a chance at Lockdown.

If I do that I will never tune in again!!! Lolz. Nah I check their ppv's from time to time and this one did not entertain me much. And I try to get into it with an open mind so I avoid spoilers etc but in order to minimize those risks and go in as open as possible I also do not check out the card.

And if we are talking Lockdown. MOTY in Angle vs Anderson, good Styles vs Burke and a good Lethal Lockdown till the Hogan Flair bs. Lockdown wins hands down.

Also did anyone notice that the specials set for Summerslam did not feel special at all?

Same here Hydey Anderson vs Angle gets my MOTY vote as well.

Summerslam did not impress me at all and I had really low expectations. The best match I saw was Orton and Sheamus but that was mostly due to the crowd Orton is red hot right now.

Rey vs Kane was an abomination. WWE needs to realize that Rey can't work with big men anymore. At one time when before the dozen or so surgeries he had he was the perfect match for a big man small man match. Nowadays he works the same 5 or so spots because he can't pull off his more athletic moves anymore, either that or WWE won't let him since he's their latino meal ticket.

The main event was really good until it was down to Gabriel-Barrett vs Bryan-Cena at that point I knew Bryan would lose somehow and Super Cena would pick up the win. Very disappointing very quick finish.

If the pay off is Barrett vs Cena they did a poor job of it since Cena made Barrett tap in 5 seconds one-on-one. I would have rather had the 5 minutes of absolutely nothing that happened in the match be allocated to Barrett vs Cena instead of Barrett being made to look like junk in comparison.

One thing that really disappointed me in the 7-on-7 match. There was no 'moment' between Wade Barrett and Chris Jericho. They were mentor and student. Out of all of the NXT season 1 pairings, they were the closest. Yet when Nexus were getting the heat on Jericho, and Wade Barrett tagged in... Nothing. He just stomped him a couple of times. That really bothered me. Such a missed opportunity to revel in some human drama. A look. A pause. A sneer. Something. Anything!

So is this the end of the Nexus story? We came all this way with it for it to be snuffed out like this? No big win for them? No Title matches? Did they really win anything? I would hope this would go on a bit longer.

What else did they do with Daniel? Did he get any other eliminations? Who eliminated him and how?

They're not being snuffed out, IMO. Already the fact they got to a stage this big is a statement enough, I see it as their one shot at the top of the ladder and they [kayfabe-wise] failed.

I was certainly wrong about them bringing him back I won't bat an eyelash about saying that. However if his release was work why did they STILL not mention it? What is the point in releasing a guy and never making it part of his storyline if it is indeed a storyline?

He came back thats fine. But if it was a work and a "facade" then why did they never make it part of his storyline? If it was a work why not just leave it as them kicking him out him out of Nexus group or us SEEING them kick him out of the Nexus certainly those would have been more visual stories that would make him comeback all the greater.

The guy did good tonight and I'm as happy as everybody that he's back but I truly believe that the guy was at the very least released by the company. Now I'm assuming his pay from the company never stopped because its not been past 90 days but clearly if his release was part of the story they would have mentioned it during his return right? I mean when are they going to mention "ha ha we worked you" if it wasn't a work. And if it was a work who exactly did they work? The internet fans? When has Vince ever done anything just to say "ha ha I got you internet". If this was Vince Russo I would say I agree it was a work but its not Vince Russo.

I will agree the release was likely legitimate and then they probably puckered up down the line, decided to give him a call after the Internet backlash, telling themselves 'why not'. I mean hell.. there were DB chants. The attention was there... who knows. This is just a guess, of course.

One thing that really disappointed me in the 7-on-7 match. There was no 'moment' between Wade Barrett and Chris Jericho. They were mentor and student. Out of all of the NXT season 1 pairings, they were the closest. Yet when Nexus were getting the heat on Jericho, and Wade Barrett tagged in... Nothing. He just stomped him a couple of times. That really bothered me. Such a missed opportunity to revel in some human drama. A look. A pause. A sneer. Something. Anything!

Totally man, I was soooo so gutted. It's just one of those things you look weird being anal about but putting that little touch in could've done wonders.

I overall enjoyed Summerslam. Ended up watching it this morning, but I missed the entire Kofi/Ziggler match except for the ending with Nexus. I thought that was cheesy to be honest. They're in the main event at the end of the night and have been doing these beat downs for a few months now. What was the point of taking away from a championship match between two other young guys? Just seemed like a throw away match.

I thought Orton and Sheamus was a good solid match that was placed oddly on the card. They gave them a good amount of time to actually do something and to be honest I loved the ending. It wasn't a cheat ending because of how much wrestling they gave us prior to the finish. It was a nice way of continuing the story.

The other matches on the card didn't really interest me much. Rey and Kane was just 'meh'. They're the type of guys who do the same stuff over and over. Undertaker coming back to be dominated by Kane was cool even though I don't follow Smackdown. It just keeps the champion completely strong while bringing Undertaker back with a vengeance and a brand new series of stories between those two.

The elimination match was enjoyable. The crowd was really into this match and WWE was going to drop Survivor Series? Idiots. I felt they gave a few people (besides the two early NXT eliminations) a chance to get their spots in and to showcase the new Nexus guys in an actual match. Most people didn't see NXT (like me) and haven't even seen these guys wrestle a lengthy match. I think Skip Sheffield is a future champion. The guy won me over last night with some pretty decent ring work. I just pictured him with a good manager like Heyman and BAM... Lesnar 2.0 :cool:

Having Nexus lose is probably controversial, but wrestling always comes down to babyfaces prevailing over heels after the heels have continually gotten the upper-hand. I wanted Nexus to win, but I had a hunch it wouldn't happen. Having Danielson as the 7th WWE member was absolutely awesome. I didn't watch on Sunday or read any spoilers when watching so I was completely surprised by it. Decent show.

I like that Kane dominated Taker. When the angle first began a few months ago I was like, here we go agaaain, but thinking about it, this could build up to BOTH of their retirements, on the grandest stage. I'm not overly bothered about seeing them in the ring but it could still produce some great moments.

wrestling always comes down to babyfaces prevailing over heels

Hmm, not sure that's always the case. I recall someone (maybe in the Monday Night Wars DVD) saying that WWF was the "face" promotion, where the good guys won the day, whereas WCW was seen as the "heel" company, where bad guys triumphed. I didn't watch WCW enough during the Wars to really judge that but yeah. And Ric Flair was pretty much the top dog in NWA as a heel champion, only dropping the belt for short bursts, before regaining it.

But in WWE, I'd agree.

Hmm, not sure that's always the case. I recall someone (maybe in the Monday Night Wars DVD) saying that WWF was the "face" promotion, where the good guys won the day, whereas WCW was seen as the "heel" company, where bad guys triumphed. I didn't watch WCW enough during the Wars to really judge that but yeah. And Ric Flair was pretty much the top dog in NWA as a heel champion, only dropping the belt for short bursts, before regaining it.

But in WWE, I'd agree.

I certainly agree with all of that, but I also think wrestling at its core is about the fans being invested in a character (babyface) and having them hate another character (heel) enough to watch/order the show. Or having the fans hate the heel so much (WCW NWO and NWA Flair) that they want to see a babyface beat them and they get even more pissed when nobody can. WCW failed to keep enough babyfaces relevant and it hurt them. They wanted WCW vs NWO to be huge, but they only managed to let a few babyfaces get over and run with it. I didn't watch WCW at all because I was a WWF guy, but they had plenty of workers to do some really great stuff.

Biggest roster in the history of wrestling possibly?

I certainly agree with all of that, but I also think wrestling at its core is about the fans being invested in a character (babyface) and having them hate another character (heel) enough to watch/order the show. Or having the fans hate the heel so much (WCW NWO and NWA Flair) that they want to see a babyface beat them and they get even more pissed when nobody can. WCW failed to keep enough WCW babyfaces relevant. They wanted WCW vs NWO to be huge, but they only managed to let a few babyfaces get over and run with it. I didn't watch WCW at all because I was a WWF guy, but they had plenty of workers to do some really great stuff.

Biggest roster in the history of wrestling possibly?

DDP and Goldberg and to an extent Luger. But I get your point in that the NWO was too dominating.

Yeah even before the Monday wars. WCW generally was the chase and WWE was the threat. During the wars the E started to vary it's approach and actually has switched to the chase method as heels tend to hold the titles the most even though the faces win most.

Uh, that's not really true. WWE was and is all about babyface champions and sending fans home happy. Triple H is the only guy on WWF/E's top ten champions in terms of reign length that worked primarily as a heel. Even Randy Savage was a babyface for the majority of his world title reigns in WWF. Cena has held the WWE title far longer than anyone else the past 6 years as a babyface, and on the other side of that, Batista's held the big gold belt longer than anyone not named Triple H, entirely as a babyface.

I like that Kane dominated Taker. When the angle first began a few months ago I was like, here we go agaaain, but thinking about it, this could build up to BOTH of their retirements, on the grandest stage. I'm not overly bothered about seeing them in the ring but it could still produce some great moments.

I agree completely. I was very skeptical about Taker vs Kane again, but with a World Championship on the line and having it be edgier than it has been is really cool. Maybe Smackdown will be a little darker considering the move to SyFy. I thought the Rey and Kane video leading to the match was really good. WWE always delivers when it comes to music videos and whatnot. Nobody can ever top their production - its just not possible.

Uh, that's not really true. WWE was and is all about babyface champions and sending fans home happy. Triple H is the only guy on WWF/E's top ten champions in terms of reign length that worked primarily as a heel. Even Randy Savage was a babyface for the majority of his world title reigns in WWF. Cena has held the WWE title far longer than anyone else the past 6 years as a babyface, and on the other side of that, Batista's held the big gold belt longer than anyone not named Triple H, entirely as a babyface.

What about Edge? All nine of his title runs were as a heel. Most of Orton's runs he was a heel.

Well it must be considered all of Edge's reigns were short as heck. His longest reign was I think two months.

Now the 7-month "age of Orton" though, you could concede. Think they were trying to build a new Triple H, especially with the Legacy stable and whatnot. But yeah, that was just one reign. His others were relatively short.

What about Edge? All nine of his title runs were as a heel. Most of Orton's runs he was a heel.

All of Edge's big gold belt reign's combined are barely half the total time Batista held the belt. Undertaker won the belt what, 3 times in the past 5 years and has held the belt for almost as long as Edge. More reigns =/ heels going over most of the time.

Has he gained any weight? When I saw him in WSX he was borderline anorexic looking. I can't picture that skinny guy doing any sort of power move :p

Yeah, that's the point. Tornado's a comedy wrestler through and through. Balls of steel, pimp slaps, moves like the Pounce, where his opponent sells as though hit by a truck... It's all gold!