The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm uncomfortable with MMA guys intersecting with Pro Wrestling promotions. It tends to bring up all sorts of "one is fake, one is real" comparisons, and I think the last thing you need in wrestling is to say 'this is fake'. I'm okay with Basketball players coming in, or football players, or even Boxers, because those are very different sports to what wrestling pretends to be, and so can comfortably exist side-by-side. MMA is just too similar, with the only difference being that wrestling is a highly stylized, fictional sport.<p> </p><p> That isn't to say there aren't a lot of guys in MMA who would make great pro-wrestlers. Stennick mentioned some. You could certainly give a guy MMA influenced aesthetics (outfit, moves etc) but to me, if you're bringing in a 'star', and want to draw with his pre-existing star power, you have to talk about where he came from. You have to explain what MMA is. In the context of pro-wrestling, I have no idea how I'd do that.</p><p> </p><p> If I were running a wrestling promotion, I would love to have Chael Sonnen. I think Chael is one of the greatest men alive. He is awesome... but I have no idea how I'd book him without compromising my own product. </p><p> </p><p> On the subject of Roy Nelson... I dig him, but I can't see him having any shot in WWE. With his physique, WWE is the LAST place I'd expect to see him. He struggles to be taken seriously in UFC looking like that, and there he can at least back it up. In Vince's world of bodybuilders, I'd be stunned to see him.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I disagree. You want to know why? Vince loves freak shows. Roy Nelson looks like a freak show. That belly rub thing that would tickle Vince's funny bone so bad.</p><p> </p><p> As for Kurt Angle and Ken Shamrock. They are truly unique. Kurt, for his part, didn't look like he belonged at the WWE at the time. Remember, WWE was Attitude. Kurt was hardly Attitude. Kurt was an All-American American, Jack Swagger before there was a Jack Swagger, clean cut, legitimate athlete. If there was a guy I thought that wouldn't fit, it would be him. If the NWA still existed, it would be seem like a better place for him. But he magically learned how to show charisma and talk on a mic. He has almost no training in that area. He went from typical babyface, to a cheating, lying, arrogant, egotistical heel. That's not easy to do. </p><p> </p><p> They did push Ken Shamrock as a legitimate athlete in the beginning, but it was when they did the "OMG, he's crazy!!!" is when he really took off. He had this insane charisma. That's why Dan Severn didn't work out as well, who actually had more pro-wrestling experience at the time. Shamrock was just able to tap into WWE's Attitude crowd better.</p>

I'm surprised my Shad and Gallows. Both guys had good size and I thought Gallows was very solid on the mic as a part of the SES and Shad always seemed more comfortable showing his personality than JTG.

I 100% agree, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them back at some point...

I really don't know about "the look" being about being big anymore in the WWE... at least not with the guys they seem more interested in pushing.

In my opinion it's hard to believe Miz or Morrison could actually beat either of those two, for example. I hope I'm wrong, but to me it looks like the WWE's roster keeps getting smaller and smaller in size, meaning in the "look" category. Anyone over 6'6" would look almost Giant sized right about now, outside of the obvious in Taker/Kane/Show. I'm afraid "The Look" is changing, or starting to change, or just downright has and no one has thought about that at all.

Not that I think it's a good thing though.

Sheamus already being a world champ would tend to work against this premise, though. It's still far, far easier to push a big guy as a credible threat. Luke Gallows is really the only surprising big man release. He actually reminds me of a young Glenn Jacobs in that he has decent skills and charisma but doesn't immediately have that look that screams "future champ."

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sheamus already being a world champ would tend to work against this premise, though. It's still far, far easier to push a big guy as a credible threat. Luke Gallows is really the only surprising big man release. He actually reminds me of a young Glenn Jacobs in that he has decent skills and charisma but doesn't immediately have that look that screams "future champ."</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I liked Luke, but where on earth was this charisma?</p><p> </p><p> He was just generic big man bully to me....</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I liked Luke, but where on earth was this charisma?<p> </p><p> He was just generic big man bully to me....</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I wouldn't call it 'charisma' but I thought he was pretty solid on the microphone. Good voice. Seemed comfortable.</p>

<p>Who are some celebrities/athletes that are known/assumed/rumored fans of wrestling, that'd make interesting/good wrestlers/personalties?</p><p> </p><p>

(particularly athletes; I'm making a mod to add on to other mods, for fun.)</p><p> </p><p>

IE:</p><p>

King Mo Lawal</p><p>

Michael Clark Duncan</p><p>

Rampage</p><p>

Shawne Merriman</p><p>

Shaquille O'Neal</p><p>

Mike Tyson</p><p>

Snoop Dogg</p><p>

ICP</p><p>

Eminem</p><p>

Ashton Kutcher</p><p>

Mikey Rourke</p><p>

DeAngelo Williams</p><p>

Adam Sandler</p><p>

Regis Philbin</p><p>

Donald Trump</p><p>

Kevin Smith</p><p>

Lebron James</p><p>

Rasheed Wallace</p><p>

Marlon Wayans</p><p>

Bill Clinton</p>

So the card has convinced me to order Survivor Series... Kaval and Danielson matches have me hooked (Bryan is curtain jerking) + Natalya hopefully winning and the Cena fallout is all interesting to me.

I'm praying Barrett wins the belt cheap, then turns, smiles, and hands the belt to Cena as garbage flies into the ring and kids cry.... I can dream.

So the card has convinced me to order Survivor Series... Kaval and Danielson matches have me hooked (Bryan is curtain jerking) + Natalya hopefully winning and the Cena fallout is all interesting to me.

I'm praying Barrett wins the belt cheap, then turns, smiles, and hands the belt to Cena as garbage flies into the ring and kids cry.... I can dream.

I would cyber high five you.

Bryan/Dibiase was okay. Not as good as his stuff vs. The Miz or Ziggler, but still good. I can only wonder who is next for Bryan. I hope maybe they do a Mentor/Protoge program with Bryan/Regal.

But anyway.... The Miz is how cutting a promo. The chance of him cashing in tonight is also a good possibility. Would be cool if maybe he cashed it in on Kane, SD could use the influx of star power. Edge/Mysterio/Undertaker vs. The Miz would all be fresh matches so...