The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Yeah that's patently ridiculous. He was main eventing pay per views and you don't think he was a main eventer? Big Show is a main eventer and when was the last time he main evented PPV?

He mostly main-evented for Smackdown. Basically the International World Heavyweight to the World Heavyweight, if any ol' WCW vets are around to understand. He was more like Jericho in a guy who could fall down a notch and not seem like it was that big a deal.

He mostly main-evented for Smackdown. Basically the International World Heavyweight to the World Heavyweight, if any ol' WCW vets are around to understand. He was more like Jericho in a guy who could fall down a notch and not seem like it was that big a deal.

He main evented four pay per views in 2009 during his first heel run, including Summerslam! It's just baffling to me that anybody would say he isn't a "main eventer." If that's true, I guess Undertaker isn't a main eventer, and neither is Edge, and neither is anybody that isn't John Cena or Randy Orton.

Is it two minutes between entrances? That would be at a minimum almost an hour and a half right there. Seems like it could be a bit excessive.

Always been 1m 30s between entrances so don't see them adding ten wrestlers and increasing the time between entrances tbf :p

Yeah that's patently ridiculous. He was main eventing pay per views and you don't think he was a main eventer? Big Show is a main eventer and when was the last time he main evented PPV?

I think it's more of a timing thing. CM Punk the first time, got it by defeating Edge when he was down (crowd went nuts).

Very next time we see Punk he is turning heel, and the switch actually hurt his credibility as a main eventer. Pretty much thought he could handle it as a face, as he was already over enough. I really think the switch hurt him in his first reign, after being so "fair" minded beforehand.

The following time, I believe he was involved in mid-card stuff at the time, but ended up with it because someone else messed up that was going to get it. Because of his status at the time, he wasn't seen as a main eventer.

However, without any problem at all, he stepped out from behind the announce table as a Main Eventer. I wouldn't use him for anything less, unless I really needed to help some younger guy get established. Right now, CM Punk is as high as he can go (no matter heel or face), in my opinion. They have him worrying John Cena right now. Punk is easily going toe to toe with him in all area's, so I can't see them bringing him down other then to give someone else a rub..

It's WWE though, who knows what they will do.

I think it's more of a timing thing. CM Punk the first time, got it by defeating Edge when he was down (crowd went nuts).

Very next time we see Punk he is turning heel, and the switch actually hurt his credibility as a main eventer. Pretty much thought he could handle it as a face, as he was already over enough. I really think the switch hurt him in his first reign, after being so "fair" minded beforehand.

The following time, I believe he was involved in mid-card stuff at the time, but ended up with it because someone else messed up that was going to get it. Because of his status at the time, he wasn't seen as a main eventer.

However, without any problem at all, he stepped out from behind the announce table as a Main Eventer. I wouldn't use him for anything less, unless I really needed to help some younger guy get established. Right now, CM Punk is as high as he can go (no matter heel or face), in my opinion. They have him worrying John Cena right now. Punk is easily going toe to toe with him in all area's, so I can't see them bringing him down other then to give someone else a rub..

It's WWE though, who knows what they will do.

Punk has been a main eventer for almost two years though. He wasn't quite a top guy his first title reign when he was feuding with JBL, but he was still holding a world title and taking part in major matches. For "game" purposes, he was a main eventer. He appeared on posters, headlined TV and house shows, etc. Then he won MITB again, won the title and turned heel, and was involved in the biggest storyline of 2009, main eventing 1/3 of that year's PPVs, putting him up there with Triple H and Orton as guys that main evented the most cards that year. In 2010 he wasn't in the title picture much but he still worked major feuds with Mysterio and Big Show, two former champions who are still major names in the company.

Now he's set for a Wrestlemania match with the biggest babyface in the business. Yeah, Punk is a main eventer, and has been for quite some time.

Punk has been a main eventer for almost two years though. He wasn't quite a top guy his first title reign when he was feuding with JBL, but he was still holding a world title and taking part in major matches. For "game" purposes, he was a main eventer. He appeared on posters, headlined TV and house shows, etc. Then he won MITB again, won the title and turned heel, and was involved in the biggest storyline of 2009, main eventing 1/3 of that year's PPVs, putting him up there with Triple H and Orton as guys that main evented the most cards that year. In 2010 he wasn't in the title picture much but he still worked major feuds with Mysterio and Big Show, two former champions who are still major names in the company.

Now he's set for a Wrestlemania match with the biggest babyface in the business. Yeah, Punk is a main eventer, and has been for quite some time.

A couple MITB matches, and Title Reigns on both RAW and SD. He is a solid main eventer. This isn't even debatable. Now he is in a major program with the most over babyface in almost a decade.

Always been 1m 30s between entrances so don't see them adding ten wrestlers and increasing the time between entrances tbf :p

It was 2 minutes between entrances, years ago. But yeah, it's been 90 seconds for awhile now. I just hope they don't drop it down to 60 seconds now that they've upped it to 40 guys. They did 60 seconds at the '95 Rumble (the one that HBK won from the #1 position) and it felt like the guys were coming out way too frequently.

CM Punk is a main eventer. These people who say Punk isn't a main eventer I am curious who you think is a main eventer.

A couple MITB matches, and Title Reigns on both RAW and SD. He is a solid main eventer. This isn't even debatable. Now he is in a major program with the most over babyface in almost a decade.

He's a Main Eventer now, but he certainly wasn't during his first title reign, where he barely snuck out a clean win as a face. Then he held first the Tag and then the Intercontinental Titles - certainly not something Main Eventers should be doing (okay, sometimes the 'E has teamed up Main Eventers and given then the Tag Titles, but they've thankfully largely grown out of that habit).

Then he feuded with Jeff Hardy and Undertaker, and he finally made it into the Main Event legitimately. Before that in "game terms" he was an Upper Midcarder who was given the Main Title. However, after his SES feud with Mysterio was over (or maybe even during it when we all got bored...) he slipped out of the Main Event once more, before going to RAW. I think at this point WWE realised they had a genuine Main Eventer who wasn't Main Eventing, which was suicide considering how thin their roster was last year. Unfortunately Punk got injured, but he's been pushed straight back in as a Main Eventer, and has been treated as such.

So, when was he a Main Eventer? Flirted with it on RAW. A 7-8 month run on Smackdown. And now on RAW. That's not that long considering he won his first Heavyweight Title two years ago.

This isn't any discredit to Punk - I love him. He just wasn't a genuine Main Eventer (by how he was booked who by how the normal everyday fan saw him) during his first run. Thankfully that's different now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Although I'm still disapointed that we didn't have 45 minutes of him commentating on the Rumble while still injured, and then his music suddenly hitting. Queue over acting from Punk, "what's going on here?" before laughing and taking his top off and entering the ring. Sigh...

It was 2 minutes between entrances, years ago. But yeah, it's been 90 seconds for awhile now. I just hope they don't drop it down to 60 seconds now that they've upped it to 40 guys. They did 60 seconds at the '95 Rumble (the one that HBK won from the #1 position) and it felt like the guys were coming out way too frequently.

Yeah 60 seconds will be far too quick between entrances. Imagine if Undertaker was to return, by the time he had made his way to the ring, the next 2 particiapants after him will already be in the match :D

Yeah I got all confused about the entrance time. :o

Still an extra 15 minutes worth of entrances at 90 secs for 40 wrestlers. I guess that's not too bad, especially if one or two guys are going to come in and be wrecking balls.

FCW champion Mason Ryan (who used to be a UK Gladiator).

Yep, Jericho called him "Batistwo" after he debuted. Dirtsheets have been saying the WWE were very high on him for the last few weeks. Since Punk mentioned Batista being his good friend a couple weeks back, I wonder if they're going to play up the resemblence...say he's Batista's younger brother or something. He definitely looks enough like him to pull it off.

Yep, Jericho called him "Batistwo" after he debuted. Dirtsheets have been saying the WWE were very high on him for the last few weeks. Since Punk mentioned Batista being his good friend a couple weeks back, I wonder if they're going to play up the resemblence...say he's Batista's younger brother or something. He definitely looks enough like him to pull it off.

Sadly, his Welsh accent is obvious whenever he speaks. Unless they play him off as mute, I don't think it can happen.

I don't know, if I were Vegas, my favorite has to be CM Punk. He's got a lot of momentum, he's an established name that hasn't won it and he has a stable to help him out in the match (see Randy Orton in 2008). I'd say he's my pick for most likely. Other favorites: John Cena. He's been operating at a very high level as he's essentially replaced HBK as the guy on Raw who doesn't need to be in the title picture to be in a great feud, but he's still WWE's guy and they'd love to put him vs. Punk or him vs. Miz as their headliner. John Morrison: somewhat of an outside chance, but they've been pretty high on him lately, he's got a great feud with the Miz built in, and it's a show that should sell itself so you don't have to worry if Morrison/Miz doesn't go on last (although frankly it could, considering their match a couple weeks ago). Smackdown favorites: Alberto Del Rio. If your Raw feud is Cena/Punk, you can do Del Rio/Edge as your Smackdown feud and put it lower down the card.

Outside chances: Triple H. Doubtful, considering he's almost guaranteed to work a program with Sheamus in the near future.

Wade Barrett. He is leading the Smackdown Nexus, and could work against Edge, but considering Undertaker wants to work with him, I see him vs. 'Taker in a gimmick match being far more likely. Plus they still haven't explained the Nexus run-in on 'Taker from months ago.

I have a hard time of thinking of anybody else with a real shot.

Well that's the keyword; always. Fairly played out by now. They even had Edge come out at 29 instead of 30 last year, being that they pulled off the same schtick the very year before. Maybe Trips will come back at #38? lol.

With this rising star movement, it'd be fresh if an up-and-comer won it this year, hasn't been the case since what, Taker in 07? And yeah lazor, if I were a betting man, I'd bet on a Raw man hosting the Rumble winner this year, being one of those guys. But right now I'm feeling a suitable darkhorse in Barrett(although Taker is indeed a factor).

I like the idea of Barrett winning, but when it comes to Wrestlemania, it's rare they venture outside of that small window comfort zone. Which leads me to think that it's gonna be Cena, or Hunter.

I think, if it were my Rumble, though, and all parties were healthy to perform for it, what I'd do is have Cena and Kane and Kofi and Sheamus in the ring. #38 counts down, and HHH's music starts pumping, and people lose their ever loving minds. Hunter eliminates Kofi, drops Cena and Kane, and focuses on the King of the Ring. They battle, while Cena and Kane face off, and out comes number #39 ... let's say ... Darren Young. Young comes in, gets walloped (official term for the kind of beating he'd sustained), and eliminated. Then it turns to #40 ... and here comes Christian!

The crowd goes crazy, Captain Charisma rushes to the ring, and with HHH and Sheamus focused on each other, Christian dumps them both, before turning towards Cena and Kane. Big battle between the three, and eventually Cena and Christian eliminate Kane. Kane goes nuclear, re-enters the ring, does his chokeslam thing on both guys, before stomping away, thus leaving a level playing field. A couple more back and forths, with false eliminations, until finally, Christian outsmarts Cena, causing him to slip over the top rope, and leading us towards E vs. C for the world title!

Will it happen? No chance, but darn it, that's how I'd do it! lol

Trips is gonna win it. The returning main eventer usually does.

Except that 1) he has a built in feud with Sheamus, 2) he's already won it, 3) he's not a very good top of the brand babyface, and 4) he probably shouldn't be built as the top guy at age 41.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the winner doesn't end up being Punk or Cena, but right now that feels like what they're building towards.