The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

3 minutes ago, Dawn said:

For sure. I'm well aware that I am not a part of the target demographic for her character. And good for her, last year's Mania entrance showed just how inspiring she is.

But to those who are not kids and can look past her being a superhero inspiration, there is legitimately no nuance to her character right now. She shows up, smiles through all the opposition (which makes them look super weak as she never seems to take them as a serious threat and we as an audience have no reason to believe they are), wrecks them and leaves. Dare I say it's worse than how Roman used to be, because at the very least with him they played up the ironic parts of the Big Dog character for a period and that inferiority complex his character has always had gave him layers.

Bianca has no layers. Her promos are all the same (which do NOT fit her at all, they would fit the arrogant heel character perfectly like CQI said. As a babyface it just feels disingenuous), she has no natural nemesis who has stood toe to toe with her and will pose a classic rivalry or will aid in a signature character moment in the future like Roman had Seth, because she's wrecked all who may have been that. If Bayley had looked even the least bit competent during their previous feud, then maybe I'd be VERY excited for the prospect of a rematch now that she is champion. 

Keeping her away from Rhea for 3 years now, while wise if you're saving it for Mania, has also made it that more jarring how little Bianca's character has evolved in the meantime...while Rhea has been such an engaging heel she has forced fans into cheering for her. By the time they do meet if this trajectory is to be maintained, I don't see how Bianca isn't booed out of the building. I'll eat crow otherwise, but there really needs to be some believable conflict for Bianca to struggle through in the future at the very least before the discourse becomes toxic as this current character will not cut it against the most popular woman on the roster.

There is less than a 0% chance that Rhea doesn’t come back as a face. Between the reaction she was getting the last few months, to how she had to vacate the belt, and (speculating) that Dom will cost her the title match, the fans will be 100% behind her. Maybe that’s what it will take for Bianca to be a convincing heel. 

Back when Bianca won the rumble I said that from my couple friends that come to watch the rumble and mania that we had a bathroom break match. That turned into an early night cause they didn’t care about her historic main event match cause they didn’t and still don’t care about her. I don’t remember where I heard it but it’s stuck with me Bianca has the gimmick dress and attitude of an 8 year old who wants to grow up to be a wrestler and she’s pretty much never evolved from that. Is she good in the ring sure but she’s lacking in every other area she’s propped up by her being John Cenaed and a demographic. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 5:53 AM, The Blonde Bomber said:

I don’t see the hype around Carmelo Hayes yet from what I’ve seen. He has a look to him, but in the ring I see nothing special about him. Comes off as choreographed to me. 

Same!

Bron Breakker looks to me 100x more appealing than Melo and truly one of a kind.

• Like 2

With Lyra winning, are we getting Lyra vs Nia on Saturday? Would be a big scalp for Lyra to get a win over Nia, if that's the case and she wins. Current card for Saturday:

Undisputed WWE Universal Championship Match: Cody Rhodes vs. Logan Paul
WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Sami Zayn vs. Bronson Reed vs. Chad Gable
Women’s World Championship Match: Becky Lynch vs. Liv Morgan
King of the Ring Tournament Finals: Gunther vs. Randy Orton OR Tama Tonga
Queen of the Ring Tournament Finals: Lyra Valkyria vs. Bianca Belair OR Nia Jax

Another smaller card, but should be fun.

56 minutes ago, PaperMachete said:

With Lyra winning, are we getting Lyra vs Nia on Saturday? Would be a big scalp for Lyra to get a win over Nia, if that's the case and she wins. Current card for Saturday:

Undisputed WWE Universal Championship Match: Cody Rhodes vs. Logan Paul
WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Sami Zayn vs. Bronson Reed vs. Chad Gable
Women’s World Championship Match: Becky Lynch vs. Liv Morgan
King of the Ring Tournament Finals: Gunther vs. Randy Orton OR Tama Tonga
Queen of the Ring Tournament Finals: Lyra Valkyria vs. Bianca Belair OR Nia Jax

Another smaller card, but should be fun.

I prefer the smaller cards that let the matches breathe. Hopefully Belair doesn’t beat Nia, but I just can’t see her not winning. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CQI13 said:

I prefer the smaller cards that let the matches breathe. Hopefully Belair doesn’t beat Nia, but I just can’t see her not winning. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

If Nia makes it to finals with two DQ wins that will be both funny and painful.

• Haha 1

I have no clue who will win these tournaments. I could see any of the possible people left win. Randy could win to set up a feud with Cody, Tama Tonga could win and have an interesting dynamic between Gunther and The Bloodline, Gunther could win which is the most likely option. 

For the ladies I could see Lyra getting the W, Nia winning to gain back some momentum since her lost to Liv, and Bianca I could see winning to establish the tournament but doubt she will since she’s in the team with Jade now.

40 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

I have no clue who will win these tournaments. I could see any of the possible people left win. Randy could win to set up a feud with Cody, Tama Tonga could win and have an interesting dynamic between Gunther and The Bloodline, Gunther could win which is the most likely option. 

For the ladies I could see Lyra getting the W, Nia winning to gain back some momentum since her lost to Liv, and Bianca I could see winning to establish the tournament but doubt she will since she’s in the team with Jade now.

I say Lyra and Gunther.

Ilja is probably the bigger name (between him and Lyra) and they were OK with him losing in a good match. They seem to have big plans for Lyra. Give it to Gunther after losing the IC title. 

It should be Lyra and Gunther. Neither Bianca nor Nia really need QOTR, but it'd establish Lyra right away as a threat to be reckoned with and the World title could potentially go Becky > Liv > Lyra as a result before Rhea's return. I don't think I need to say a lot more about Gunther, he is the perfect guy to reestablish the concept should they choose to keep it yearly which I hope they do. He exemplifies the type of workhorse KOTRs who have always been the reference to back when the concept was GOOD.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PaperMachete said:

Triple H announced today that the winners of KOTR/QOTR will get a championship opportunity at SummerSlam, and that it's brand specific.

To me this means Orton/Nia winning, setting up Orton/Cody and Bayley/Nia

Gunther/Drew and Becky or Liv/Lyra also makes a lot of sense.

• Like 5

Internet Marks: Triple H is SUCH a good booker!

Triple H: Not only am I going to give an Undisputed Title shot on a PLE to one of the most loathsome people we've ever hired, I'm going to have him say the word "crevice" on television!

Me: *throws up in mouth*

Internet Marks: SUCH a good booker.

• Confused 1

SmackDown was...ok. I watched mildly drunk in a bar as Nia pinned Bianca relatively clean. So glad they wasted Tiffany's goofy ahhhhhhhh loss last week so NIA JAX would benefit. Are they trying babyface Baron Corbin? I mean, I guess...

9 minutes ago, Dawn said:

Uh...

What...

What even...

I got nothing.

You know how some people don't like the word "moist"? That's how I feel about crevice.

Anyway, the King of The Ring, an honor that SHOULD be used to elevate talent, is either going to be a guy who probably shouldn't need it or a guy who DEFINITELY doesn't need it.

10 minutes ago, Dawn said:

. Are they trying babyface Baron Corbin? I mean, I guess...

Back when they were doing "Bum Ass Corbin", he was starting to get over with the crowd.

2 minutes ago, PaperMachete said:

After Smackdown I'm even more certain of Randy and Nia winning today.

I could see the benefit of Nia winning it. Would just be a bummer considering it brings a title shot with it. Randy makes less sense to me, but I guess by the time we get to Summerslam I might be able to understand the rationale based on who the champs are on each brand at that time.

I'll give Nia some credit, she's much better than she was last time. I'm not saying she's close to a Seth Rollins or whoever, but she's improved.

Randy and Cody have a lot of history they can play on.

I would've chosen Gunther and Lyra, but I can see the rationale. If it does end up happening.

1 hour ago, PaperMachete said:

I'll give Nia some credit, she's much better than she was last time. I'm not saying she's close to a Seth Rollins or whoever, but she's improved.

Randy and Cody have a lot of history they can play on.

I would've chosen Gunther and Lyra, but I can see the rationale. If it does end up happening.

Of course given that history and Orton's previous accomplishments in the company, they don't really need to give him a shot at Cody's title do they? Given how many titles Orton's won they could just have him challenge and play it up as Cody's biggest challenge to date or something.

Felt intentional whilst also adding in the fact Orton's shoulders were technically up. Could make for him losing his mind about it and turning heel for a summer feud with Cody.