The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Obviously, there are ways to advance a storyline without going to the DQ. I can count on one hand the numbers of DQs/ No-Contests AEW has had.

And we kicked off the show with 50/50 booking, meaning that the big win L.A. Knight had at Wrestlemania means absolutely nothing.

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Obviously, there are ways to advance a storyline without going to the DQ. I can count on one hand the numbers of DQs/ No-Contests AEW has had.

And we kicked off the show with 50/50 booking, meaning that the big win L.A. Knight had at Wrestlemania means absolutely nothing.

And I’m sure anything more than your one hand count doesn’t really count because of insert arbitrary reason here. 

AJ had to cheat to get the win after Knight beat him clean at maina. So you bitch about a DQ finish to lead to a bigger match and you bitch when a heel cheats to win a rematch after losing clean to set up a rubber match. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, guyver3 said:

AJ had to cheat to get the win after Knight beat him clean at maina. So you bitch about a DQ finish to lead to a bigger match and you bitch when a heel cheats to win a rematch after losing clean to set up a rubber match. 

So what you're saying is that if they run it back again, then the win at Mania did not in fact mean anything.

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

So what you're saying is that if they run it back again, then the win at Mania did not in fact mean anything.

No I was explaining the story to you since you obviously didn’t understand it. By your logic no win will ever mean anything unless the win is clean and there is never a rematch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure, you can advance the storyline by having both dudes squash people who are lesser on the card while they cut promos on each other every week. But if every feud is this way there are complaints that it's taking too long to get to the point. I can count on more than one hand the amount of times HHH has saved the big matches for big shows, sparing the inconclusive TV finishes, and people complained about that too.

Go a different route with a backstage attack or something of the sort, ''oh he was made to look weak before the big match'', ''what a cliche segment'' on and on.

Is the only way to book a feud for you having one half of it thoroughly dominate it AND with clean finishes all the way? Come on now...

And yes, I realize Vince did a style of 50/50 that helped no one get over far too often. This is not one of those times.

Edited by Dawn
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, guyver3 said:

No I was explaining the story to you since you obviously didn’t understand it.

No, I get the story. It's just a bad story. I could explain the plot of Red Zone Cuba, that isn't going to magically turn it into Citizen Kane.

23 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

No, I get the story. It's just a bad story. I could explain the plot of Red Zone Cuba, that isn't going to magically turn it into Citizen Kane.

If you got the story you wouldn’t have complained Knights win at maina didn’t mean anything. You can not like the story they’re telling but to say Knights clean win at the biggest show of the year didn’t mean anything because AJ beat him in a rematch on smackdown after cheating is just wrong. If for example AJ beat him in 2 minutes clean I could see that argument but that’s not what happened heck they had almost as much time as their mania match. 

That’s certainly an opinion Matt. I think the story is fine. Keeps LA strong and logically keeps him away from Cody (don’t need two baby faces fighting right now) and allows Cody an easy win for his defense. I do like the story of Cody likely keeping the title to defend against The Rock I’m assuming at Summer Slam, it just means matches especially like this feel rudimentary to me. I know Cody will beat AJ and feel like it’ll be unlikely anything will come out of it. Plus AJ’s stuff since coming back hasn’t left me clammiring for more so not hopeful for the build either. 

4 hours ago, guyver3 said:

If you got the story you wouldn’t have complained Knights win at maina didn’t mean anything. You can not like the story they’re telling but to say Knights clean win at the biggest show of the year didn’t mean anything because AJ beat him in a rematch on smackdown after cheating is just wrong. If for example AJ beat him in 2 minutes clean I could see that argument but that’s not what happened heck they had almost as much time as their mania match. 

It wasn't the blow-off match, it wasn't for a title, then no it doesn't really mean anything. So it was at Mania. So what? Here's a brief list of other people who have won at Wrestlemania-

Men On A Mission

Nathan Jones

Snooki 

Michael Cole.

57 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

It wasn't the blow-off match, it wasn't for a title, then no it doesn't really mean anything. So it was at Mania. So what? Here's a brief list of other people who have won at Wrestlemania-

Men On A Mission

Nathan Jones

Snooki 

Michael Cole.

Saying that Mania doesn’t matter tells me all I need to know also Nathan Jones wasn’t part of the match 

49 minutes ago, guyver3 said:

Saying that Mania doesn’t matter tells me all I need to know also Nathan Jones wasn’t part of the match 

It was billed as a tag match, Jones was involved (albeit very briefly), it counts. And Mania SHOULD matter, but that's up to the booking.

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

It was billed as a tag match, Jones was involved (albeit very briefly), it counts. And Mania SHOULD matter, but that's up to the booking.

Billed as a tag but changed on the day to a handicap match so officially Jones wasn’t in the match. The past two mania’s booking has been much better than the past my only complaint is we didn’t need 15+ minutes of celebration bs at the end of night 2 but mania still matters 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, guyver3 said:

Billed as a tag but changed on the day to a handicap match so officially Jones wasn’t in the match. The past two mania’s booking has been much better than the past my only complaint is we didn’t need 15+ minutes of celebration bs at the end of night 2 but mania still matters 

Like I said, it SHOULD matter. Just like championships SHOULD matter, but every now and then you get a title hot potatoe'd or they put the belt on someone who is clearly not at that level (by the way, good luck in your free agency, Jinder Mahal!), and so forth.

For L.A, Knight, winning Act I of whatever isn't all that. Mania should be the blow-off. If Styles vs. Knight keeps going well beyond that, then that's a misstep on Triple H's part, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Having a guy lose clean as a sheet at WrestleMania when he's fighting for the big important Undisputed World Title on the following PPV isn't exactly ideal booking.

Yeah... Cody is obviously not going to lose the title @ Backlash, but to be fair AJ Styles ain't a credible threat rn. It could be a nice bout, but that's it. The World title scene is booming with Priest, Rollins, CM Punk and McIntyre, i think post-draft they really need some interesting challengers for Cody's WWE title to not losing his momentum.

3 minutes ago, Wrestling Machine said:

Yeah... Cody is obviously not going to lose the title @ Backlash, but to be fair AJ Styles ain't a credible threat rn. It could be a nice bout, but that's it. The World title scene is booming with Priest, Rollins, CM Punk and McIntyre, i think post-draft they really need some interesting challengers for Cody's WWE title to not losing his momentum.

Yeah, Smackdown is weak on heels. Aside from Roman (who is obviously on hiatus), AJ is the only heel former champion on Smackdown so is the obvious first challenger for Cody and so a theoretically credible threat (although not really). While I do think the better idea would probably have been have Santos win at Mania and then get the title shot, given the Mania results, this is the most sensible decision.

As for those tag titles magnificent. Honestly, I didn't realise how used to bad tag titles I was until seeing the updated belts where they're absolutely stunning instead of incredibly generic.

• Like 1

What I'd like to know is, why not Lashley? He can work face or heel, he's a guy who can have solid good matches with just about anyone, and I'd say he does have a bit of credibility (the Karrion Kross vortex of suck notwithstanding).

26 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

What I'd like to know is, why not Lashley? He can work face or heel, he's a guy who can have solid good matches with just about anyone, and I'd say he does have a bit of credibility.

Lashley tried being heel not that long ago and it absolutely, well and truly did not work. Not in the slightest. If you try and turn him again his run with the Street Profits becomes more awkward. If you try to run it as a face v face it would likely be clunky and probably wouldn't do all that much to establish Cody.

Edit: Also, completely forgot. Bobby's whole story with Karrion Kross is partially about how Bobby's losing the spotlight to the Street Profits and despite being a former world champion is fading into the background.

Edited by DinoKea