The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

11 hours ago, Dawn said:

Cody and the product as a whole are hotter than ever, even. React with confused all you want but you know that to be true.

No I don't, because that doesn't reflect my personal feelings towards the product WWE puts out.  I think Cody had his momentum killed yet again by a needless complication to the story, and pretending the Feb 2 segment never happened doesn't erase everyone's memory of it happening.

Remember Daniel Bryan's RTWM to the world title? That was infinitely more stupid than Cody's and they took ages longer to pivot. All people remember now is how big of a star he became in the end.

Okay, let's actually remember that rather than cite it as "muh long term booking".  The Daniel Bryan storyline lasted 8 months all up, which is already shorter than the 12 it will be between Cody Rhodes unexpectedly jobbing at WM 39 and him finally getting another chance at 40.  Throughout those 8 months, the fans did not simply "let the story play out" but rather clearly voiced what they wanted, demanding a refund over a BS sports entertainment finish at Battleground, and rejecting the development of Bryan joining the Wyatt family to the point where he turned on them at the first sensible opportunity.

I have not seen any of that vocal rebellion against how long it's taking for Cody to "finish the story", in spite of the WWE continuing to keep him away from the title picture after the Lesnar feud just to eke out the story to WM 40.  So you get the confused emote because your comments of just sitting back and enjoying the show is completely alien to someone like me who first seriously got into wrestling in the 2010-15 era of the IWC.

Cody is going to finish the story, and if by that point anyone is complaining about the one misstep they took on the road-

Implying that it's just one misstep that made me sick of the Roman reign of terror.  No, this has been going on since at least Clash at the Castle 2022, when McIntyre should've won at home since Roman had already been champion for 2 years.  He instead lost, and ever since I've grown increasingly frustrated every time I hear about an angle that's hinting towards Roman dropping the belt to freshen up the main event and give me a reason to watch more than just occasional highlights and results... only for Roman to retain anyway in the blow-off match.  At this rate I'm not 100% certain they'll even let Cody win the rematch!

Edited by overthetop2

I think you're confusing Cody's story with Roman's reign, the latter of which you despise, which is fine. However, this clouds your judgment so you make claims like "Cody has had his momentum killed", whereas Cody's momentum is super high right now. Was it marginally higher after the Rumble? Sure. But Cody Vs Roman has huge heat going into WrestleMania regardless, and if The Rock is at Mania (and it would be crazy for him not to be at this point) the last few weeks would have increased the intrigue in his appearance. It's certainly brought more eyes to the Mania build up.

I feel it's too easy for some people to concentrate on one thing that they don't like (especially if it's a main storyline) and claim it's hugely damaging, but I can't see it in this case. Cody's momentum went from 10/10 to 8/10 last Friday, went back up to 9/10 the other night, and has plenty of time to go back up to 10/10 before Mania.

Did Cody's momentum need to take this hit? Of course not, but he's not coming out of this any worse so no need to dwell on it, especially when it's bringing eyes to the product.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jaysin said:

There was a WrestleMania press conference last night and the Rock slapped Cody. Punk was on the analysis panel. Punk made that comment after.

Ha! I knew about the press conference. Didn’t know about Punk. Ring on the discussion panel. That is hilarious!

14 hours ago, overthetop2 said:

Okay, let's actually remember that rather than cite it as "muh long term booking".  The Daniel Bryan storyline lasted 8 months all up, which is already shorter than the 12 it will be between Cody Rhodes unexpectedly jobbing at WM 39 and him finally getting another chance at 40. 

I don’t think losing to the champ by interference is “jobbing” to anyone. Let’s not conflate the two terms. At least it wasn’t Drew, but maybe that’s what they’re building to on the other side. Not sure who is going to be in the Chamber yet - but hopefully there are some decent characters that can carry the belt. As entertaining as he is, I don’t see the appeal of Rollins in wacky outfits screaming and laughing. But I will find other things on the show to enjoy.

Edited by CQI13
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, CQI13 said:

What’s going to happen if Cody wins the belt, and minutes later Damien Priest cashes in and the reign last as long as Dusty’s did?

Also, with his reduced schedule is Reigns due to take time off after Mania?

It'll be a reaction like Punk got against Jeff Hardy. That led to a fantastic set of matches between the two, but I'm sure as soon as it happened someone on the internet was claiming that Hardy got buried...

• Like 1

Watching Chamber, does Becky Lynch purposefully choose the ugliest gear? Like is that part of her character? It worked when she was a heel, because she was being purposely over the top and annoying, but as a face it's just weird. 

Those ugly shoulder pads 🤢

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

Watching Chamber, does Becky Lynch purposefully choose the ugliest gear? Like is that part of her character? It worked when she was a heel, because she was being purposely over the top and annoying, but as a face it's just weird. 

Those ugly shoulder pads 🤢

Her and Seth Rollins just always look like they got dressed in the dark.

• Haha 2

The winners of the Chamber matches made sense, but I am guessing a heel (Drew) shouldn’t get to “finish his story” unless Punk will just come and take it from him when he gets back. Given Punk’s injury history though I don’t know I want to put the belt on him as soon as he comes back.

Also, is Waller a face now? The team with Theoryis done at the very least, right?

5 minutes ago, CQI13 said:

The winners of the Chamber matches made sense, but I am guessing a heel (Drew) shouldn’t get to “finish his story” unless Punk will just come and take it from him when he gets back. Given Punk’s injury history though I don’t know I want to put the belt on him as soon as he comes back.

Also, is Waller a face now? The team with Theoryis done at the very least, right?

Waller was a face for one night, much like Rhea. I assume things will be fine between them since they're both delusional heels otherwise.

4 hours ago, CQI13 said:

The winners of the Chamber matches made sense, but I am guessing a heel (Drew) shouldn’t get to “finish his story” unless Punk will just come and take it from him when he gets back.

Remember, Priest still has the briefcase, so he could always try to reenact the "Heist Of The Century".

• Like 1

I really liked men's chamber a lot! They always called it the most brutal structure ever, and this time I particularly enjoyed the selling of the competitors. They looked exhausted and in constant pain, the pace has been great imo, good performance. Obviously Randy is in a class on his own when it comes to in-ring psychology and selling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SummerSlam was announced for Cleveland Browns Stadium! 

The only ppv I've ever been to was Unforgiven 2008, but I've never been to a show the size of SummerSlam. We'll never get a WrestleMania here, but SummerSlam is a nice substitute! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

SummerSlam was announced for Cleveland Browns Stadium! 

The only ppv I've ever been to was Unforgiven 2008, but I've never been to a show the size of SummerSlam. We'll never get a WrestleMania here, but SummerSlam is a nice substitute! 

Unforgiven 08 was the first DVD I bought as a fan (and something about it would softlock me before the WHC Scramble) so that PPV has a special place in my heart much like Mania 27 (first PPV I watched live). Happy for you that you're getting a big show again, unfortunately after Jericho kicked our flag they have never been here since and that's just for HOUSE SHOWS. The dream of a Backlash: Brazil is quite dead.

• Like 1

Okay so I was casually talking to someone on Twitter about Chad Gable and was told that he could be on Kurt Angle's level if WWE didn't do him dirty. I was also told that the only difference between the two is that "Kurt just a better comedy character."

I know many are still upset about Zayn winning over him, and I know that recency bias is mad, but am I the only one who thinks Kurt Angle is on a whole other level? And that's not a knock on Gable in any way, it's just that Kurt is one of the greatest ever.

Seems blasphemy to me tbh, what do you think? ;) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wrestling Machine said:

Okay so I was casually talking to someone on Twitter about Chad Gable and was told that he could be on Kurt Angle's level if WWE didn't do him dirty. I was also told that the only difference between the two is that "Kurt just a better comedy character."

I know many are still upset about Zayn winning over him, and I know that recency bias is mad, but am I the only one who thinks Kurt Angle is on a whole other level? And that's not a knock on Gable in any way, it's just that Kurt is one of the greatest ever.

If I were to name my Mount Rushmore, Kurt Angle would be on it.

Edit: Now, that doesn't mean that I don't find Chad Gable awesome, I really do. But, I absolutely agree, Kurt Angle was a beast.

Edit: To complete the Mount Rushmore, I'd go with Steve Austin, Bret Hart and Eddie Guerrero. My 4th one used to be Chris Benoit, but he forever destroyed his legacy with what he did. 

Edited by Sisma
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wrestling Machine said:

If given the attention Kurt received, I think Gable could have been close to his level. Maybe not on par with Kurt, but Gable is amazing at taking crappy gimmicks and making them somehow work. In ring, Gable is one of the best going. Any other company and he'd be near the top of the card imo

If Scott D'Amore was still in charge of TNA, I'd say they'd be a perfect place for him.

1 hour ago, Dawn said:

Unforgiven 08 was the first DVD I bought as a fan (and something about it would softlock me before the WHC Scramble) so that PPV has a special place in my heart much like Mania 27 (first PPV I watched live). Happy for you that you're getting a big show again, unfortunately after Jericho kicked our flag they have never been here since and that's just for HOUSE SHOWS. The dream of a Backlash: Brazil is quite dead.

When Legacy attacked Punk backstage at Unforgiven, I was so salty. But Jericho winning the WHC after his hellacious match with HBK was awesome. The crowd was insane for Jericho's win after booing him relentlessly during his first match 😂

• Like 1