The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

7 hours ago, Dawn said:

Hahahahaha. If she didn't, you'd complain she looked weak.

Actually, I was two busy complaining about how half the matches last night were tag matches that ended after heel interference causing an upset victory.

The one thing I laughed about Jade last night was she was in a red outfit to sign the contract. Then when she made her save she was wearing her gear (that made her look naked). I was sitting there like why is she wearing gear? Why isn’t she just wearing what she was before? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Wrestling Machine said:

Pretty sure lots of you already watched this, but I'll leave it here ;) Huge interview

Happened to catch it live. Loved every second of it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Cornette is gonna have a field day with this one!

It confirms a lot of what AEW detractors (if you want to call them that) already believed. So not really groundbreaking, but interesting to hear him be as candid as he could be about certain subjects. As for the scrum, it didn’t change my mind. Tony was feckless but it wasn’t the forum for Punk. Can totally get why he did it, given the full context. An enjoyable 2 hours for sure. 😂

• Like 3

I don't mind Sami winning...but wasn't a fan of how the match played out. It doesn't hurt Gunther in my opinion, but still...I guess we'll see what happens after WM. Hopefully he destroys Sami (while getting DQ'd or something). Especially since Cody eliminated him from the Rumble 2x, they need some time apart before we (hopefully) get that feud. Expected more out of Jimmy vs Jey. The rest of the matches have been enjoyable and have served their intended purpose.

Good night 1 for WrestleMania! Very fun night of wrestling. Might have been aided by alcohol but still outside of the Usos match being quite boring (lucha also disappointed) I thought night 1 delivered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawn said:

Good night 1 for WrestleMania! Very fun night of wrestling. Might have been aided by alcohol but still outside of the Usos match being quite boring (lucha also disappointed) I thought night 1 delivered.

Lucha had some sweet spots though (double cross body, Joaquin getting launched). And even if I knew that the only result for the main event was Rock/Reigns winning, I marked out for the accidental spear on Rock leading to double pedigrees.

Edited by CQI13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, overthetop2 said:

The guy WWE is trying to sell as the one to finally beat Boredom Reigns just lost clean to a 51 year old who hasn't wrestled full time in 2 decades.

Not sure clean is the word I would use. Pin was, sure. But there were so many instances where the match was stacked in the favor of the Bloodline (ref was there to count the pin essentially) - not to mention Cody had it won if not for the Rock pulling the ref out. The result makes sense. Hopefully Cody wins and Priest fails the cash in. Maybe it will be an overbooked mess, with everyone available who got screwed by Reigns interferes since it is no DQ.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CQI13 said:

But there were so many instances where the match was stacked in the favor of the Bloodline (ref was there to count the pin essentially)

If it's not the finish it doesn't truly count.  Consider Summerslam 2002 where Heyman cheated on Lesnar's behalf 5 times (+1 backfire), and forced The Rock to expend extra energy to take him out of the match;

But then the finish was a clean 1v1 which Lesnar won, and so it's widely remembered as Lesnar winning the title clean despite Heyman's influence.

Maybe it will be an overbooked mess, with everyone available who got screwed by Reigns interferes since it is no DQ.

And that's why it's impossible for Cody to truly "win" now.  Even if he scores the pinfall it will be because someone else saved him from a pummeling at the hands of the Bloodline.  One that he could've avoided by simply winning the tag match in the first place.  So now that someone else is the true hero who ended the Reign of Terror, not Cody.

Edited by overthetop2

I really enjoyed night 1.

Rhea vs Becky was great, the ladder match was fun (especially Truth with the hot tag) and Sami vs Gunther was fantastic. I was certain Rocky and Roman were winning, just to stack the deck even more against Cody, thus making his victory even more miraculous. The only match that disappointed me was the Usos match because the basically did 30 superkicks and the finish. I wonder if they had to change things, because that can't have been the way the match was laid out and agents OK'd it? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, overthetop2 said:

If it's not the finish it doesn't truly count.  Consider Summerslam 2002 where Heyman cheated on Lesnar's behalf 5 times (+1 backfire), and forced The Rock to expend extra energy to take him out of the match;

But then the finish was a clean 1v1 which Lesnar won, and so it's widely remembered as Lesnar winning the title clean despite Heyman's influence.

And that's why it's impossible for Cody to truly "win" now.  Even if he scores the pinfall it will be because someone else saved him from a pummeling at the hands of the Bloodline.  One that he could've avoided by simply winning the tag match in the first place.  So now that someone else is the true hero who ended the Reign of Terror, not Cody.

I can definitely see that point of view. But what if the overbooked mess is all outside, stopping Solo and Mr No Yeet and the Rock, and not actually hitting Roman? The moment they announced the stipulation you knew who was winning Night 1. The other option is they go Super Cody and despite all the interference, he succeeds. I think either way, the vast majority of people will be glad Roman loses. And this even though I would have booked him to lose one belt before they even did the whole Unified/Undisputed, so my booking is probably suspect anyway. 😂

The thing is, I can't imagine Rock not factoring into the finish.

I can see him turning on Roman and costing him the title, thus establishing that he considers himself the real head of the table, the final boss, as he says. He can claim he was the one who actually got the win on Saturday and that he is, by far, the biggest star in the family. Now that Reigns no longer holds the championship, Rock can be the leader of the bloodline and Reigns can turn face. Heel Rock vs face Reigns at Mania 41?

9 hours ago, overthetop2 said:

The guy WWE is trying to sell as the one to finally beat Boredom Reigns just lost clean to a 51 year old who hasn't wrestled full time in 2 decades.

If basic storytelling goes over your head, you might want to stop watching pro wrestling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, overthetop2 said:

The story isn’t Cody ending the bloodline. The bloodline running rampant over WWE ending with an Avengers level response is good to me. Cody’s story has always been winning the title they took away from his daddy in the garden.

Im so hoping Austin comes to Cody’s aid and we see Austin kick Rocks ass.

• Like 2

I already wanted to make a pre-Mania consideration of the Usos. I always liked them, they obviously have charisma and lots of Ups. That being said, but how disappointing was their rivalry to get to this match? More than a decade in the making, two inseparable twins who at the end of it all find themselves each other's worst enemy, a whirlwind of emotions to highlight during this feud. How can you F it up that bad? lol

I think the main fault is their incredible inability to stay serious during angles, staredowns, etc. While this was also initially funny with Sami Zayn, cause kayfabe-wise it might have made sense with Sami's character, became unprofessional to me after the split. Their laughing and smiling during their face-to-face ruined any credibility imo. I mean your twin freakin' turned heel on you, cost you the WWE title, the Head of the Table spot, the F are you smiling for?

Obviously the match was even worse, a sea of possibilities in which to navigate storyline-wise, and all they came up with is a terrible Superkick spot fest. Huge huge fail.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

The Rock pinned Cody Rhodes because those two fighting is surely the SummerSlam main event, right?

I mean it would make sense! Rocky abuses his power to triumph on Saturday, Cody somehow wins it on Sunday, Rocky keeps getting in Cody's way until they have a title match at SummerSlam, Rocky vs Roman at WM41.

21 minutes ago, Wrestling Machine said:

I mean it would make sense! Rocky abuses his power to triumph on Saturday, Cody somehow wins it on Sunday, Rocky keeps getting in Cody's way until they have a title match at SummerSlam, Rocky vs Roman at WM41.

If Rock isn’t turning on Roman however they have Cody win Rock can claim a title shot even if he is gone until SummerSlam as has been thought because he pinned Cody. Either Rock turns on Roman tonight or Roman turns on Rock at SummerSlam either way Roman is probably costing Rock the match in August 

4 minutes ago, guyver3 said:

Either Rock turns on Roman tonight

Hope Cody is going to win against all odds tonight in a clean way, the ultimate babyface miracle. Otherwise I'm afraid the spotlight will be once again on Rocky instead than on him. Tbf I don't care that much I just wanna see Cody finally win this damn championship and cry like a baby lol

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, overthetop2 said:

Nonsense, Cody winning night 1 & 2 makes no sense at all from a storytelling point of view.  Also, in your opinion if anyone interferes but not in the finish it's a clean win, what's the issue? Austin might not even touch Reigns while pummeling the Bloodline (although it's likely he will).

Edit: Substitute Taker or Cena or Rollins for Austin. In your book Cody's just won clean, and had a ready made feud with Rock. Lovely.

Edited by eayragt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2