The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Chad Gable is fine and technically sound but Kurt has boat loads more charisma not  to mention his own skills. I think IC title is Chads ceiling though which isn’t a bad thing I just don’t think he has enough star power to really be at that next level. 

• Like 2

Honestly I think WWE is just trying to find the right story to elevate Gable. Every time he's on TV he is given about 20 minutes to put on bangers so I believe HHH sees the value in him for sure. Unfortunately for him Sami is a bigger star who is on track to winning a world title later on in the year so he also made sense for the Gunther match and they went with that.

• Like 1

For ages, I thought Zayn was perfect for NXT. From their debut in NXT I thought Owen’s was the star. Fans defending Sami dislocating his shoulder DURING HIS ENTRANCE when anyone else would have been crucified for it didn’t endear him much further to me. But that 3 way ladder match during the pandemic against AJ and Jeff really won me over. So I have changed my mind in the past lol. I can buy the character as a top guy, even if it’s not the prototypical look.

Gable I thought was the better of the Jordan/Gable tag team, and props with making chicken salad out of everything they have saddled him with. I wouldn’t hate seeing him as a World champ - he has done a credible job against Gunther. It’s not like he looks out of place like some smaller guys when they are in the ring with bigger wrestlers. But if IC is his ceiling, I wouldn’t mind seeing bangers from him on a regular basis. I am OK with having different titles for different kinds of wrestlers. Like if your World Title has constant interference, have your IC title be the workhorse/straight matchups every time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawn said:

Honestly I think WWE is just trying to find the right story to elevate Gable. Every time he's on TV he is given about 20 minutes to put on bangers so I believe HHH sees the value in him for sure. Unfortunately for him Sami is a bigger star who is on track to winning a world title later on in the year so he also made sense for the Gunther match and they went with that.

I was particularly confused by how they situated the Gauntlet match with Gable being the final to lose to Sami. One because they hyped up Gable last week looking to redeem his child against Gunther, two because it makes Gable look weaker having lost to someone who already had a match (this is more of criticism of Gauntlet matches in general), and three because it gives Sami a negative backlash for having beat someone alot of people wanted to see win. If you want Zayn to win, have Gable beat Nakamura, then have him come up short to Bronson Reed who then loses to Sami, have Sami be hurt for the final competitor J.D. who Zayn comes away victorious against.

• Like 2

Kurt Angle is six foot, and Chad Gable is five foot eight. I adored American Alpha, and it was the perfect role for him but I've never taken him seriously as a singles guy (though, to be fair, the company has never presented him seriously as a singles guy).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scarlet-Left said:

Kurt Angle is six foot, and Chad Gable is five foot eight. I adored American Alpha, and it was the perfect role for him but I've never taken him seriously as a singles guy (though, to be fair, the company has never presented him seriously as a singles guy).

I agree with that. But being believable with Gunther goes a long way for me. It’s not like when you saw Adam Cole tear it up in NXT but then see him next to Lesnar - the optics say he would get destroyed. Gable looks solid, like he might be a believable threat regardless of size. But again, if IC is his ceiling, so it was for Hennig. Not the worst of titles to have.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CQI13 said:

I agree with that. But being believable with Gunther goes a long way for me. It’s not like when you saw Adam Cole tear it up in NXT but then see him next to Lesnar - the optics say he would get destroyed. Gable looks solid, like he might be a believable threat regardless of size. But again, if IC is his ceiling, so it was for Hennig. Not the worst of titles to have.

Hennig was a world champion in AWA. Granted it wasn't during their heyday, but he was so good he could slot into any spot on a card honestly. Hennig could have easily been a believable world champion in any promotion.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, CQI13 said:

I agree with you that Gable’s ceiling is likely a midcard strap since he lacks talking ability to be a top star. Hennig could’ve easily been a heel world champ in WWE had Hogan and Warrior not been running rampant during the time. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Liked how they did the LA Knight/Aj brawl last night using police cam footage. Though this strikes me as to why it’s so ridiculous that people in the arenas are allowed to assault each other Willy nilly. But as soon as you’re not in the arena you’re arrested. So laws don’t apply in the arena then? If there’s a no DQ match can you shoot someone? What are the rules?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Liked how they did the LA Knight/Aj brawl last night using police cam footage. Though this strikes me as to why it’s so ridiculous that people in the arenas are allowed to assault each other Willy nilly. But as soon as you’re not in the arena you’re arrested. So laws don’t apply in the arena then? If there’s a no DQ match can you shoot someone? What are the rules?

Easy. Babyfaces get arrested, heels don't. LOGIC!

Speaking of, I find it humorous how Bianca won't forgive Bayley for everything she's done, but she's teamed with Zelina Vega, who poisoned her husband.

Edited by Matt_Black

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

Easy. Babyfaces get arrested, heels don't. LOGIC!

Speaking of, I find it humorous how Bianca won't forgive Bayley for everything she's done, but she's teamed with Zelina Vega, who poisoned her husband.

Logic: it happened in front of AJ's home and local police thought LA Knight, a person they don't know, began the assault. Wasn't that hard to find logic at all...

Edited by Dawn
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dawn said:

Logic: it happened in front of AJ's home and local police thought LA Knight, a person they don't know, began the assault. Wasn't that hard to find logic at all...

Yes it makes sense that a person would get arrested for doing that. Just makes no sense why people are allowed to be assaulted inside the arena unprovoked with no consequences. 

11 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Yes it makes sense that a person would get arrested for doing that. Just makes no sense why people are allowed to be assaulted inside the arena unprovoked with no consequences. 

I think it's GM's discretion within the arena, so most of the time people get fines for attacking other superstars backstage. It's just not normally stated as it would get pretty repetitive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DinoKea said:

I think it's GM's discretion within the arena, so most of the time people get fines for attacking other superstars backstage. It's just not normally stated as it would get pretty repetitive.

The repetitive part is the issue, feels like a huge booking crutch they use constantly. It then leads me to think why someone who's mad at another person just doesn't attack that person randomly if we know the punishment ain't that bad since people do it constantly. Like Liv Morgan for instance, why has she not attacked Rhea at all?

I would say the general wrestling logic, which isn't specific to any promotion, is that whatever happens in wrestling stays in wrestling as part of the unwritten wrestling code because if wrestlers start bringing in ousiders it will destroy the locker room and hurt everyone.  So one person gets beaten up?  You'll get the chance to get revenge in the ring and we cna make money off it instead of having to pay for lawyers, lose money and deplete the roster.

So while it makes very little legal sense, for anyone on the inside of the business taking a beatdown is better for the worker because otherwise their job falls apart.  Though when it goes a bit further... yeah, that's a logical issue where you'd expect there to be consequences for a major loss of earnings and evidence as to why.  But if you'd get blackballed for doing that?  That's the logic I've akways had for it :)

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 10:43 PM, Dawn said:

What about the time when Seth Rollins broke into Edge's house and filmed it? There was ample video evidence of crimes being committed.

6 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

That Punk, Drew, Seth segment, and The Rock Cody Segment, this was a chaotic excellent episode!!

Punk and Drew were fantastic, I absolutely loved their exchange. The ending with Rocky destroying Cody was insanely well done. Really makes me wonder how they are going to top that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sisma said:

Punk and Drew were fantastic, I absolutely loved their exchange. The ending with Rocky destroying Cody was insanely well done. Really makes me wonder how they are going to top that.

I loved how it had that anything can happen/can be said of energy. Punk is honestly best at blurring lines, and Drew probably held his own here. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SanX said:

I loved how it had that anything can happen/can be said of energy. Punk is honestly best at blurring lines, and Drew probably held his own here. 

I fee like this is the best Drew has ever been. You can tell that it's less of a character and just more of him being himself, speaking his mind and just adding a pinch of being a dick. 😁

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Sisma said:

I fee like this is the best Drew has ever been. You can tell that it's less of a character and just more of him being himself, speaking his mind and just adding a pinch of being a dick. 😁

I’ve went from being over Drew to him being one of my faves now. He’s hitting on all cylinders weekly. That Punk shirt gives me “I broke Wahoo’s Leg” vibes.

• Like 5

Just chiming in to agree about Drew being great right now. His rehab line was really cringey, but he won me back over with the Chicago/gun line. Punk asking who deemed Drew the Chosen One was brilliant. Never thought Drew would be able to hold his own in a verbal sparring session with someone like Punk.

• Like 4