The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

Just bought Best in the World. I don't think it's the best lineup they've ever put out on iPPV, but between Richards vs. Edwards, the 4-way for the tag titles, and Daniels vs. Generico, I still expect it to be well worth $15 (though I'll actually only pay half of that, since I'll be watching with a friend.)

And I would add to that list a Steen appearance (hopefully, they've teased it enough), Jay Lethals return, and the chance to see how well Rhino can do in an ROH ring.

Just switched the show on. I am pumped up for this.

No spoilers but that was one of the best matches I have ever seen. :D

Yeah, I'll be honest, I wasn't all that happy with the show up to that point (aside from the very memorable Steen appearance.) The tag match was very good, but I thought the ending dragged it down somewhat. But that main event was more than worth the purchase all by itself.

I was sort of anticipating a heel turn by the loser after the match, but I'm kind of glad it didn't happen.

If you consider Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards "nobodies"...yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume ROH isn't for you.

Nobodies yes for me. Like I said I only watch TNA and WWE so they to me are nobodies. I'll give it a shot but idk I must likely wont like it.

So the main event lasted 30 min? Thats why I dont thnk I would like ROH I couldn't sit through a 30 min match between two top guys in WWE or TNA let alone two nobodys.

And those two hypothetical top guys in WWE or TNA were once nobodies and yet you've learned to appreciate them. Eventually you have to give the nobodies a chance or you're going to run out of somebodies. It's the way of the world.

If you consider Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards "nobodies"...yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume ROH isn't for you.

And not necessarily true. They are nobodies to me as well. When the TV show debuts, the first match I see either in will be the first I've ever seen either in. But unlike MasterJ's unproductive attitude, I'm looking forward to giving them the chance to become somebodies to me. I've always enjoyed seeing new talent for the first time.

So the main event lasted 30 min? Thats why I dont thnk I would like ROH I couldn't sit through a 30 min match between two top guys in WWE or TNA let alone two nobodys.

The point is not whether you know Edwards and Richards or not...it's the fact that you couldn't last through a 30 minute match featuring anyone. If you can't handle that, ROH is probably not for you.

When I got into ROH, I had to learn everyone. I knew who Christopher Daniels was, and I knew who Bryan Danielson was. But the more I got into the company, the more I began to like the roster. Now guys like El Generico and The Kings of Wrestling are my favorite wrestlers in the world.

But you seem to be that WWE/TNA mainstream fan, not being able to sit through a lengthy, but solid, match. You might not want the same thing out of a product than most ROH fans want. ROH isn't about how popular a guy may be, it's about how great they are in the ring. That's our kind of storytelling and wrestling action, great worked matches.

You just seem to be a different type of fan...nothing wrong with that at all...it might just be that ROH won't be your cup of tea. I mean, HDNet broadcasts use to be an hour long show with only two or three matches, with matches taking up 45-50 minutes of the show.

And I pray that the new show is like that too.

And those two hypothetical top guys in WWE or TNA were once nobodies and yet you've learned to appreciate them. Eventually you have to give the nobodies a chance or you're going to run out of somebodies. It's the way of the world.

I never said I wouldn't give them a chance I'm just saying I like the normal non IWC wrestling fan like wrestling with more angles than matches like WWE and TNA. I plan on watching ROH to see what I think though.

The point is not whether you know Edwards and Richards or not...it's the fact that you couldn't last through a 30 minute match featuring anyone. If you can't handle that, ROH is probably not for you.

Yeah, that's definitely the point I should have emphasized. If the idea of a 30-minute match sounds unappealing, regardless of the participants, ROH is definitely not the best choice for that person as a fan. Same thing with the idea of preferring more angles than matches. As we know, ROH has angles, they have storylines and characters, but the focus is on the matches themselves. The matches are their own story, so to speak.

I have a question of sorts. As usual though I need to explain first for no reason in particular. I just started watching ROH again; stopped when I moved to a new cable company who didn't have HDNet and I couldn't follow the show. However, when I say "watching," I'm trying to work my way through their really old stuff to see how they book feuds on only a show or two a month. So I started with the earliest I could find, in 2003.

My question is, though, a bit general: Why is it that Bryan Danielson is regarded as one of the best in the world, second maybe to KENTA but that's about it, where Samoa Joe or Paul London or Matt Striker, who I've enjoyed in this show as much as any match I've enjoyed with Danielson are basically regarded as "yeah, they're alright" type guys?

I mean I kinda get Striker, in that he immediately went to the E and that can cause a lot of talented guys to be regarded as garbage by the IWC. But Samoa Joe seems to be regarded as someone who can really go and is a really great workrate guy who's taken seriously by basically nobody. Paul London is kinda the opposite, at least in my mind: He's very entertaining on the mic, and he's regarded as a reasonably skilled high-flyer.

So... what makes Danielson different, do you think?

I never said I wouldn't give them a chance I'm just saying I like the normal non IWC wrestling fan like wrestling with more angles than matches like WWE and TNA. I plan on watching ROH to see what I think though.

I don't really like more angles than matches, but I feel similar to what you're saying in that the IWC seems really high on flippy-dippy wrestling, and I'm actually pretty happy to watch the WWE style of wrestling, maybe with more head drops. Honestly my favorite show right now is OVW, which I watch when I remember to on the web. I wish there was some way to automatically download it so I could binge-watch OVW.

That said, in my experience, ROH largely delivers matches I enjoy. You've got Tyler Black, who IMO is made for the 'E right now and is basically being booked as sympathetic rather than good. You've got guys like Davey Richards who can do the stiff brawling that doesn't look like garbage.

As long as you come into it essentially willing to ignore that you don't know these people like you know WWE or TNA stars, you'll probably like the in-ring action. Beyond that, expect a lot of mic work and comparatively few skits if any.

Tyler Black who IMO is made for the 'E right now and is basically being booked as sympathetic rather than good. You've got guys like Davey Richards who can do the stiff brawling that doesn't look like garbage.

As long as you come into it essentially willing to ignore that you don't know these people like you know WWE or TNA stars, you'll probably like the in-ring action. Beyond that, expect a lot of mic work and comparatively few skits if any.

He is, he's down in FCW

Not to mention, from my experience anyways, ROH's angles are pretty boring. At least in my opinion they are.

But they don't have WWE writers nor do they need it. They are not base off of angles, I remember when I went to a ROH and they had 1 angle it was with Jim Cornett and Homicide I liked the story line but the angle was 20 minutes and it was boring after about 5 minutes. But I don't go to ROH shows for the angles.

I have a question of sorts. As usual though I need to explain first for no reason in particular. I just started watching ROH again; stopped when I moved to a new cable company who didn't have HDNet and I couldn't follow the show. However, when I say "watching," I'm trying to work my way through their really old stuff to see how they book feuds on only a show or two a month. So I started with the earliest I could find, in 2003.

My question is, though, a bit general: Why is it that Bryan Danielson is regarded as one of the best in the world, second maybe to KENTA but that's about it, where Samoa Joe or Paul London or Matt Striker, who I've enjoyed in this show as much as any match I've enjoyed with Danielson are basically regarded as "yeah, they're alright" type guys?

I mean I kinda get Striker, in that he immediately went to the E and that can cause a lot of talented guys to be regarded as garbage by the IWC. But Samoa Joe seems to be regarded as someone who can really go and is a really great workrate guy who's taken seriously by basically nobody. Paul London is kinda the opposite, at least in my mind: He's very entertaining on the mic, and he's regarded as a reasonably skilled high-flyer.

So... what makes Danielson different, do you think?

I don't really like more angles than matches, but I feel similar to what you're saying in that the IWC seems really high on flippy-dippy wrestling, and I'm actually pretty happy to watch the WWE style of wrestling, maybe with more head drops. Honestly my favorite show right now is OVW, which I watch when I remember to on the web. I wish there was some way to automatically download it so I could binge-watch OVW.

That said, in my experience, ROH largely delivers matches I enjoy. You've got Tyler Black, who IMO is made for the 'E right now and is basically being booked as sympathetic rather than good. You've got guys like Davey Richards who can do the stiff brawling that doesn't look like garbage.

Samoa Joe is considered up there with Danielson. I would say Danielson, McGuinness & Joe are the golden trio of ROH, never insult them when talking to an ROH fan. On Danielson he has gained the reputation of best in the world through techinacal ability and sheer luck. Danielson himself said he didn't know why he was chosen as the fan favourite ahead of people like Chad Collyer. He seemingly just got lucky to start with (being in the first main event, etc) and just ran with the ball without looking back.

Matt Striker had never been in ROH. It was Matt Stryker that was in ROH. And again London was quite highly regarded, but couldn't break into that upper echelon of stars.

And on the note " You've got Tyler Black, who IMO is made for the 'E right now and is basically being booked as sympathetic rather than good." Tyler was signed by WWE and is in FCW.

[snip]

Matt Striker had never been in ROH. It was Matt Stryker that was in ROH. And again London was quite highly regarded, but couldn't break into that upper echelon of stars.

And on the note " You've got Tyler Black, who IMO is made for the 'E right now and is basically being booked as sympathetic rather than good." Tyler was signed by WWE and is in FCW.

Agh! Well, whatever. Blue trunks fellow, impressed me. So did the black trunks fellow, who is apparently Chad Collyer. I just sorta assumed I'd gotten the spelling wrong on it.

I thought I'd heard Black had been picked up by the E but I checked in all of one place (some wiki somewhere) and they didn't explicitly say he'd left so I just assumed I'd heard wrong. Ah well. It's not the first time I've looked foolish in that post.

And yeah, basically... I mean, thanks, that is kinda what I figured, but I was just curious why some people succeed so smashingly while others who are just as good are not on that level. I wasn't sure if it was just luck or what.

I have hear OVW is good even without the WWE guys. Where do you watch it at?