The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

The production quality might be because of Sinclair Broadcast Group having a tight financial leash on ROH. Caged Side Seats has an article about that here

Even though I'm not a fan of TNA, both companies are not much of a business threat to WWE right now. I know that's a pretty obvious statement but I'd say that ROH, in my opinion, has the better WRESTLING quality then all three of them. I'm not here to start a debate about that but I wish ROH would get more exposure and Destination America kind of helps but it still doesn't get the viewership that could really put them on the map.

I still think we're on the cusp of having some sort of a popularity boost for wrestling and I've even run into random people at ROH shows in Minnesota that tell me they don't like WWE and they wouldn't be a wrestling fan if it wasn't for ROH. I guess the same could be said for TNA as well since they also have a hardcore fanbase, even though they annoy me but to each their own.

I say all this because as much as I like WWE, I love ROH even better. If it weren't for ROH, WWE wouldn't have these big stars on their roster now. I seriously can't wait to see Cesaro vs Owens tear the house down at Summerslam.

Anyways, I sincerely hope ROH can bounce back from their financial issues and get more exposure. That's basically all I got on that subject for now.

The production quality might be because of Sinclair Broadcast Group having a tight financial leash on ROH. Caged Side Seats has an article about that here

Even though I'm not a fan of TNA, both companies are not much of a business threat to WWE right now. I know that's a pretty obvious statement but I'd say that ROH, in my opinion, has the better WRESTLING quality then all three of them. I'm not here to start a debate about that but I wish ROH would get more exposure and Destination America kind of helps but it still doesn't get the viewership that could really put them on the map.

I still think we're on the cusp of having some sort of a popularity boost for wrestling and I've even run into random people at ROH shows in Minnesota that tell me they don't like WWE and they wouldn't be a wrestling fan if it wasn't for ROH. I guess the same could be said for TNA as well since they also have a hardcore fanbase, even though they annoy me but to each their own.

I say all this because as much as I like WWE, I love ROH even better. If it weren't for ROH, WWE wouldn't have these big stars on their roster now. I seriously can't wait to see Cesaro vs Owens tear the house down at Summerslam.

Anyways, I sincerely hope ROH can bounce back from their financial issues and get more exposure. That's basically all I got on that subject for now.

Their production has always been really low rent. I don't think it would cost too much money to do better lighting. Even ECW on its deathbed had better production than ROH. If anything viewership in wrestling is down across the board. TNA went from a million viewers to around 300,000 and falling most weeks. ROH is doing very badly with just over a 100,000 viewers for them. WWE's viewership is dropping and looks like its going to tank bad when football season starts up. Nothing besides Lucha Underground and at times NXT has really excited me lately. ROH feels low rent, TNA is embarrassing to watch half the time, the WWE claims to be a television show and not a wrestling show which would be fine I just wish they'd claim to be a GOOD television show.

• 3 weeks later...
Besides the fact that she is good looking what is the point of having Mandy Leon? She is so robotic in the way she talks.

Too bad Veda Scott is a heel now because she would be perfect for those segments.

Yeah, she's no good. If they're set on using an attractive woman there, surely it can't be that hard to find one with better delivery than Mandy. You're right that Veda would have been a great choice if she didn't have her current gig.

Besides the fact that she is good looking what is the point of having Mandy Leon? She is so robotic in the way she talks.

Too bad Veda Scott is a heel now because she would be perfect for those segments.

I think the point is that it's part of her training. Mandy's been working at the RoH Dojo for ring duty as well. There was an internet exclusive match not too long ago where she faced one of Rip Rogers' students. Both ladies showed promise but were also pretty green. Mandy especially. So I'm guessing the next time they choose to feature the Women of Honor heavily they want Mandy to be ready to be part of that mix and be the "hometown" heroine. Much like Veda was when she was a big piece of the Women of Honor scene with MsChif.

I do agree that Mandy does sound rather stilted and robotic during the Inside Ring of Honor segments. But I can also hear that she's genuinely trying to present herself well. Unfortunately she does also make it very easy to mistake her for just random eye candy. She doesn't even always sound convinced she's an "exotic goddess" and I doubt much of any guy would argue that point.

She's done some relatively decent stuff on the indies. I liked her work with Samantha Starr and she had a good match against Cherry Bomb not too long ago too. I think she has that natural charisma in that you want to like her and want to support her but yeah, she has a ways to go yet. I dumb that down to inexperience more than anything else.

• 1 month later...

Can't say I'm too happy about the return of Kenny King to RoH either. I get the idea of reuniting ANX due to the state of the tag team division. And with who's around now, they do get fresh matchups. But something about King back in RoH just feels wrong to me. I'd rather they went a different route.

I for one am happy to see Kenny back in ROH. I wasn't crazy about how he left, but having the ANX back is a very nice addition to their tag team division. I'd already liked the team, but became a big fan after seeing them live against the Wolves, which I'd probably rank as the second best match I've seen live behind only the first Hell in a Cell. If ROH management is comfortable doing business with him again, that's enough for me. And Delirious is still running things from what I understand, so I'm assuming he either didn't have as big a problem with how everything went down as Cornette did, or he's moved past it. Hearing Cornette's take was interesting, but there are two sides to every story, and I take most of what he says with a grain of salt to begin with.

Incidentally, I thought it was funny to hear him talk about their two big money tag teams, the Briscoes and WGTT. About the only ROH stuff from WGTT I remember enjoying were their matches with the Kings of Wrestling, but Hero and Claudio were on fire back then. The seemingly never-ending snoozefest that was WGTT vs. the Briscoes may be the least interested I've been in ROH's tag team division in the 11 years I've been following the company.

I for one am happy to see Kenny back in ROH. I wasn't crazy about how he left, but having the ANX back is a very nice addition to their tag team division. I'd already liked the team, but became a big fan after seeing them live against the Wolves, which I'd probably rank as the second best match I've seen live behind only the first Hell in a Cell. If ROH management is comfortable doing business with him again, that's enough for me. And Delirious is still running things from what I understand, so I'm assuming he either didn't have as big a problem with how everything went down as Cornette did, or he's moved past it. Hearing Cornette's take was interesting, but there are two sides to every story, and I take most of what he says with a grain of salt to begin with.

Incidentally, I thought it was funny to hear him talk about their two big money tag teams, the Briscoes and WGTT. About the only ROH stuff from WGTT I remember enjoying were their matches with the Kings of Wrestling, but Hero and Claudio were on fire back then. The seemingly never-ending snoozefest that was WGTT vs. the Briscoes may be the least interested I've been in ROH's tag team division in the 11 years I've been following the company.

Certainly didn't help matters that they did a double turn out of the blue right in the middle of the feud. That sort of sucked the momentum out of everything for me.

That said, I did like WGTT's work as heels and they had some good matches with ANX in addition to their awesome work with Kings of Wrestling.

Certainly didn't help matters that they did a double turn out of the blue right in the middle of the feud. That sort of sucked the momentum out of everything for me.

It's been several years now so my memory might be a bit hazy, but I seem to remember that double turn pretty much being forced on them by the way the fans were reacting to both teams. WGTT were definitely better as heels though, no argument there.

It's been several years now so my memory might be a bit hazy, but I seem to remember that double turn pretty much being forced on them by the way the fans were reacting to both teams. WGTT were definitely better as heels though, no argument there.

I only recall the fans in New York cheering the Briscoes and booing WGTT, wouldn't think that's reason enough for an out of the blue double turn. Granted I'm not really a Briscoes fan, so I'm more then a little biased.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, they just opened back in July. I put in my zip code and they're not available in my area, I'm assuming they're very tiny. :(

Yeah, they're Sinclair-owned apparently. This news means very little to me as the syndicated airings are unaffected.

It's worth pointing out that if you want to watch the ROH TV show but don't have a local syndicated network that shows it and don't get this COMET network, ROH puts the shows up for free on their website.

Glad to hear this new station isn't part of the Discovery family. It's been almost a year since I was on viewing terms with them. What else does this COMET station do? I hope the programming mix is better than Destination America.

I'm not sure if anyone in the states has ever watched "antenna" tv as in no cable. But a lot of stations for example in St. Louis channel 5 is NBC well if you're watching on just an antenna you'll get a 5-1 which is NBC and then you'll get a 5-2 and a 5-3. Comet from what I understand is one of those channels.

On top of it being a very small network. For example it doesn't air in St. Louis at all which is fine since we get the Sinclair syndication broadcast here on ABC Saturday night at 11:30 and then again on Sunday at noon.

The station itself is essentially a syndicated sci fi channel. For example Stargate is going to have a huge presence on the network. Atlantis, SG1 and SGU. Dead Like Me which was a fun series while it lasted will be on it. The Outer Limits will be on it. So there will be no first run programming on it but if you like Stargate then this is the channel for you.

I'm not sure if anyone in the states has ever watched "antenna" tv as in no cable. But a lot of stations for example in St. Louis channel 5 is NBC well if you're watching on just an antenna you'll get a 5-1 which is NBC and then you'll get a 5-2 and a 5-3. Comet from what I understand is one of those channels.

On top of it being a very small network. For example it doesn't air in St. Louis at all which is fine since we get the Sinclair syndication broadcast here on ABC Saturday night at 11:30 and then again on Sunday at noon.

The station itself is essentially a syndicated sci fi channel. For example Stargate is going to have a huge presence on the network. Atlantis, SG1 and SGU. Dead Like Me which was a fun series while it lasted will be on it. The Outer Limits will be on it. So there will be no first run programming on it but if you like Stargate then this is the channel for you.

Don't forget Schitt's Creek! :D

It sucks that Destination America is dropping ROH, because my local Sinclair station (whatever it is called, I don't remember) pre-empts ROH for random things like high school basketball. And they mess with the time slot so frequently that half the time the guide isn't right, so most of the time I record it on there I end up with an hour of random local sports or a completely different show. Thankfully I have a good internet connection, but I forget to watch things when they are on the internet, so it is going to be somewhat difficult to keep up with ROH from now. Which sucks, because I've really been enjoying it lately.