The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

At one ROH show I went to back in the day, Daniels and Allison Danger made their entrance. This annoying dude tried starting a "She's got herpes" chant and Allison screamed in the guy's face "That's Lacey you idiot!"

It was great.

Watched Global Wars last night. What a disappointing show.

The only stand out matches were the opener and War Machine vs the Briscoes. Everything else was just "meh". I expected Lethal and Cabana to tear the house down, but Lethal was gassed before the match even went anywhere. The post match nonsense was just pathetic. I get the Bullet Club gimmick is a tribute/parody of nWo/DX, but it was just so stupid on this show. I love almost everyone involved with it, but man, what a horrible ending to a mediocre show.

Watched Global Wars last night. What a disappointing show.

The only stand out matches were the opener and War Machine vs the Briscoes. Everything else was just "meh". I expected Lethal and Cabana to tear the house down, but Lethal was gassed before the match even went anywhere. The post match nonsense was just pathetic. I get the Bullet Club gimmick is a tribute/parody of nWo/DX, but it was just so stupid on this show. I love almost everyone involved with it, but man, what a horrible ending to a mediocre show.

The Bullet Club has overstayed its welcome with me. They're the least interesting faction in their own promotion (NJPW.)

Meltzer's breakdown of the angle and the partnership between ROH and NJPW:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/4izqyv/dave_meltzers_breakdown_on_ring_of_honors_best/

Very good article. I've been really starting to burn out on the New Japan thing. Not that they don't have guys I like to see. Some of the New Japan talent has really impressed me. I have especially enjoyed Tomohiro Ishii this time around. That "Stone Pitbull" nickname really suits him to a tee. The problem is it always seems to be the same guys that get the matches with the New Japan folk when they come in. And while guys like The Briscoes and Jay Lethal and Roddy are great to watch, sometimes I want to see the undercard as well. I want to see how Lio Rush builds on his Top Prospect win. I want to see what comes of the stable Prince Nana is building with Ferrera, Coleman and Dijak. I want to see if Tim Hughes is going to end up outgrowing Brutal Bob Evans the way Mike Bennett and Cheeseburger both did. And there's only one hour of TV a week for me to see those things happen. I'm not in a market RoH visits very often and I can't afford to be spend on DVD's a lot.

And the stuff on Adam Cole. Riddle me this about Cole and the commodity he's become in the industry as a whole. Would he be where he is now is RoH were as New Japan heavy when the Sinclair show was starting up as they are now. Cole would sure have lost out on opportunities to bubble under the surface and suddenly explode if RoH and New Japan had been this tightly bound together in 2012 or 13.

Heck this could be part of the Adam Page problem. Why New Japan sees it with him and a lot of other folks don't. With the Japan breaks RoH takes now, there hasn't been quite the opportunity for him to have TV time and impress folks like there was for Cole. Since The Decade crumbled and he's distanced himself from Whitmer, what has Page really had the opportunity to do to set himself apart? It's okay. I'll wait. Lord knows he sure has had too.

This is also why I have been so behind Cedric Alexander during his heel turn. Throughout 2014 we're all being told that Cedric is headed for big things. They are pushing him so hard and heavy one could have reasonably expected him to be RoH World Champion by now. Then 2015 arrives and here are day trippers with splashy names like Alberto El Patron and Samoa Joe. Then they step aside the New Japan folk chew the scenery. And by the time they are done, Cedric's momentum is totally lost. It's no wonder that he's so in-character P.O.'ed that he'd take up with Veda Scott and try to wreck the RoH story world. I'm right there with him. It's not that the Okadas and the Naitos and such are subpar talent or that they match up poorly with RoH's best. But I'm not invested in those guys like I am a Cedric Alexander. I don't need to see nearly so much of them. Not if keeps me from seeing a Cedric or an Adam Page grow. Or if it keeps me from seeing the other tag teams jockey for position behind War Machine. Or so many other issues taking place in the RoH story world that get stunted from the viewer perspective while they book dream matches with New Japan.

This is also why I have been so behind Cedric Alexander during his heel turn. Throughout 2014 we're all being told that Cedric is headed for big things. They are pushing him so hard and heavy one could have reasonably expected him to be RoH World Champion by now. Then 2015 arrives and here are day trippers with splashy names like Alberto El Patron and Samoa Joe. Then they step aside the New Japan folk chew the scenery. And by the time they are done, Cedric's momentum is totally lost. It's no wonder that he's so in-character P.O.'ed that he'd take up with Veda Scott and try to wreck the RoH story world. I'm right there with him. It's not that the Okadas and the Naitos and such are subpar talent or that they match up poorly with RoH's best. But I'm not invested in those guys like I am a Cedric Alexander. I don't need to see nearly so much of them. Not if keeps me from seeing a Cedric or an Adam Page grow. Or if it keeps me from seeing the other tag teams jockey for position behind War Machine. Or so many other issues taking place in the RoH story world that get stunted from the viewer perspective while they book dream matches with New Japan.

He may be out of character PO'ed too, because he's leaving ROH.

I am sick of watching the New Japan guys as a whole. Mostly because I don't follow or care to follow their product. Plus I really need the Young Bucks off my television...like now.:D

There seems to be a lot of Japanese wrestling diehards on here and I am not saying this to get a rise out of them. It is just Japanese wrestling as a whole does not really interest me. Neither does Japanese baseball.

Like Cappy said (paraphrasing here), I would like to see the company focus more on actual ROH stars and less on the New Japan workers.

Like Cappy said (paraphrasing here), I would like to see the company focus more on actual ROH stars and less on the New Japan workers.

NJPW is easily my favorite product currently, but I agree with you too. Other than the guys who regularly split time between the companies, like reDRagon, the Bucks, etc., I think NJPW guys should only be brought in for that War of the Worlds/Global Wars stretch. The new formula of bringing in NJPW guys for basically every significant show has derailed the direction of the roster and has a negative effect on their storytelling (or lack thereof.)

<p>I haven't watched ROH since 14th Anniversary and it sounds like I'm not missing much. I probably won't bother checking back in until Final Battle 2016.</p><p> </p><p>

<a href="http://www.cagesideseats.com/2016/5/17/11696250/ring-of-honor-roh-new-japan-internal-frustration-booking" rel="external nofollow">Internal frustration at Ring of Honor's New Japan-centric booking</a></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I haven't watched ROH since 14th Anniversary and it sounds like I'm not missing much. I probably won't bother checking back in until Final Battle 2016.<p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.cagesideseats.com/2016/5/17/11696250/ring-of-honor-roh-new-japan-internal-frustration-booking" rel="external nofollow">Internal frustration at Ring of Honor's New Japan-centric booking</a></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> ROH is still better than WWE or NXT.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Warhawk8492" data-cite="Warhawk8492" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>ROH is still better than WWE or NXT.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I strongly disagree. They have just as many non-nonsensical storylines and poor booking decisions as WWE does. </p><p> </p><p> Plus, Kyle O'Reilly is the epitome of vanilla midget and they waste Naito's appearance on facing him. </p><p> </p><p> Right now, in my opinion I'd rank the major promotions as:</p><p> </p><p> 1. NJPW</p><p> 2. Lucha Underground</p><p> 3. NXT</p><p> 4. WWE</p><p> 5. ROH</p>

Man, it really is starting to feel like RoH is fundamentally allergic to developing their undercard. First the New Japan overkill and now they are doing retrospectives on significant talent? WTF? Please tell me Sinclair just bought stations in major markets and are doing this crap for them. The Jay Lethal episode was admittedly well done. But if I never hear the words "bullet" and "club" in close proximity to each other ever again, I'll be okay with that.

I strongly disagree. They have just as many non-nonsensical storylines and poor booking decisions as WWE does.

Plus, Kyle O'Reilly is the epitome of vanilla midget and they waste Naito's appearance on facing him.

Right now, in my opinion I'd rank the major promotions as:

1. NJPW

2. Lucha Underground

3. NXT

4. WWE

5. ROH

I know it's you opinion but I'd put TNA at the top of my list. I don't like the NJPW product it's just not my cup of tea. But TNA is extremely good right now, the development of the storylines are great and have outstanding character development.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jwt13" data-cite="jwt13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know it's you opinion but I'd put TNA at the top of my list. I don't like the NJPW product it's just not my cup of tea. But TNA is extremely good right now, the development of the storylines are great and have outstanding character development.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree with you. TNA and ROH are the best products I watch right now.</p>

Yeah there are a few good ones there but to be honest I rather see them pluck guys like ACH, Dalton, Strong, Cole etc.

Quoting this sentiment from over at the TNA thread because maybe this is exactly what RoH needs to happen to them. Maybe they need Cole to be snatched up by WWE as the buzz suggests could be possible. Maybe guys like ACH, Strong and Castle need to skip off to TNA. Perhaps the Bucks should go back to New Japan full time and take guys like Red Dragon, Sydal, Page, and Moose with them. Let's see what RoH's attitude to the homebrew guys they'd have left would be if the roster got picked over like that. They'd sure have to figure something out in a hurry if that happened.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I want New Japan to take Bobby Fish full time, but ROH can keep that vanilla midget Kyle O'Reilly.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, maybe if they put a mask on him and stick him in a stable like The House Of Truth. O'Reilly + live mic = potential cure for insomnia.</p>

Kyle is booked much stronger in NJPW than Bobby is, so not much chance of that. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the ongoing BOSJ tourney. I'd say he's one of the two favorites, even.

As long as Kyle O'Reilly's not a favorite for any gold that carries the RoH name, that's fine.

And I don't believe Jaysin's point had anything to do with what he thought might happen. Just what he wished would. And I can't argue with him in that wish. Bobby Fish has been an interloper into my wrestling world ever since I was introduced to the man. I don't feel that same shoved down my throat feeling I originally did. Bullet Club has taken that over. But if I were never able to see either O'Reilly or Fish ever again, that wouldn't exactly break my heart.

Kyle O'Reilly just has zero character/charisma. He's as bland as they come. He's a good in ring worker, but he's not remotely likable or even hateable. He's just there. He's the definition of vanilla midget.

Bobby Fish on the other hand, while not super charismatic or anything, at least has a fairly distinct personality. I've seen them in person a few times, but O'Reilly just bores me to tears every time I see him.

Kyle O'Reilly just has zero character/charisma. He's as bland as they come. He's a good in ring worker, but he's not remotely likable or even hateable. He's just there. He's the definition of vanilla midget.

I could not agree more. Kyle is just so boring. I remember when they had him do color commentary on a couple of episodes a few years back and the dude had zero personality and added nothing to the show. He was so bad that he made me miss the days of Mongo doing color commentary on Nitro...nah...nothing would make me miss Mongo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...