Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="GatorBait19" data-cite="GatorBait19" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>so is Stafford the next big thing, that can't stay on the field?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MattitudeV2" data-cite="MattitudeV2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>No when he is healthy he is a great QB ..</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's exactly what Gator just said. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>also did anybody here what Cris Colinsworth said on the monday night game if he thinks Green Bay had one of the most impressive wins against the Jets, moron they scored 3 field goals and they have two defensive MVP canidates (Woodson and Matthews (Go Clay) </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree with Collinsworth. They out muscled and out-defensed a team built on being physical and pushing people around on defense. Considering how soft GB's run game is and how the defense was playing early in the year and how many injuries they have, that win by GB WAS incredibly impressive.</p>

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="PeterHilton" data-cite="PeterHilton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's exactly what Gator just said. <p> </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah I was reading that and thinking "ummm did i miss something isn't that what GB said"</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> I agree with Collinsworth. They out muscled and out-defensed a team built on being physical and pushing people around on defense. Considering how soft GB's run game is and how the defense was playing early in the year and how many injuries they have, that win by GB WAS incredibly impressive.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah I agree as well. They SHUT out the Jets in their own house. Is that not a huge win against one of the best teams in the NFL? How can you not be impressed with a shut out no matter if its 2-0 or 49-0 a shutout is extremely rare and speaks volumes about your defense. So many people are so focused on offense that they think if a touchdown isn't scored its not a good game or not a good showing.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="GatorBait19" data-cite="GatorBait19" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>so is Stafford the next big thing, that can't stay on the field?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Pretty much my biggest fear. </p><p> </p><p> I'm actually hoping he just rushed to get back, wasn't 100%, and just aggravated the pre-existing injury. He was wincing all game so that's probably what it was. If it's something new though, well, don't know what the Lions should do then.</p>

<p>Man I'm starting to think the Lions are cursed. They have Stafford, Megatron, Suh, Best, not to mention a plethera of other top picks accumulated since their 0-16 season and yet they continue to lose. I know you can say "yeah their close" or "they just shoot themselves in the foot" but at the end of the day with the talent they have they should be doing better than they are regardless of excuses. </p><p> </p><p>

I'm rooting for them because aside from the Lions and Bills sucking the rest of the NFL is in opposite world. </p><p> </p><p>

Vikes and Cowboys below .500, Rams in first place, Bucs near first place, Browns beating PATS and Saints in the same season, etc.</p>

<p>To me the biggest shock this season is the Raiders. They should be 6-3 and aren't a fluke at all.</p><p> </p><p>

Tom Cable for Coach of the Year anyone?</p><p> </p><p>

The Lions will be fine eventually, they need to learn how to close out games. It's hard to go from bad to good in the NFL without closing out close games. And it's hard to close out close games without a lot of luck and a very good running game. Best is a beast, but he isn't a grind it out type of runner. If Detroit are able to run for just one first down in their last two possessions, they win the game.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Slagaholic" data-cite="Slagaholic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>To me the biggest shock this season is the Raiders. They should be 6-3 and aren't a fluke at all.<p> </p><p> Tom Cable for Coach of the Year anyone?</p><p> </p><p> The Lions will be fine eventually, they need to learn how to close out games. It's hard to go from bad to good in the NFL without closing out close games. And it's hard to close out close games without a lot of luck and a very good running game. Best is a beast, but he isn't a grind it out type of runner. If Detroit are able to run for just one first down in their last two possessions, they win the game.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have to agree with you Slag the Rams,Bucs and Cheifs have been getting all the talk but DA RAIDERS have a solid quarterback and a punishing defense they also have Jacoby Ford (Who could be just what they need) a fast WR with soft hands and he was even drawing comparsions to Tim Brown of Raiders lore...that is what you call impressive!</p><p> </p><p> Edit:I also agree with observations on Detroit if Peterson doesn't hit LT and Stanon calls a run on third down they win dat game sorry Jets fans!!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MattitudeV2" data-cite="MattitudeV2" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have to agree with you Slag the Rams,Bucs and Cheifs have been getting all the talk but DA RAIDERS have a solid quarterback and a punishing defense they also have Jacoby Ford (Who could be just what they need) a fast WR with soft hands and he was even drawing comparsions to Tim Brown of Raiders lore...that is what you call impressive!<p> </p><p> Edit:I also agree with observations on Detroit if Peterson doesn't hit LT and Stanon calls a run on third down they win dat game sorry Jets fans!!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No sorry needed for Jets fan it doesn't matter how many games the Lions have almost won a few games but they haven't. This is a league about results, the Rams should have beaten the Bucs, Cards and Raiders but made mistakes in all the games and lost. So then I could say the Rams should be 7-1 but we're not. </p><p> </p><p> The Lions are super talented but they have been talented in the past and it didn't translate and if Stafford is out for any length at all again you have to seriously question if this guy is ever going to be healthy enough to do anything for this team. I think so far he's played in about 16 games in two seasons not exactly what you want from your franchise QB.</p>

I have to agree with you Slag the Rams,Bucs and Cheifs have been getting all the talk but DA RAIDERS have a solid quarterback and a punishing defense they also have Jacoby Ford (Who could be just what they need) a fast WR with soft hands and he was even drawing comparsions to Tim Brown of Raiders lore...that is what you call impressive!

Jacoby Ford has had exactly ONE good game. He was a middling college WR and this game against KC makes up like 80% of his production on the year.

Tim Brown is one of the greatest college football players of all time, a Heisman winner, and will eventually get in the HOF.

So anyone who made that comparison really needs to calm down.

I have been saying for years that the only difference between Rivers, Brady and Manning is that Rivers hasn't been able to get to the Super Bowl let alone win it.

The guy is scary good, he's over looked nearly constantly compared to Gun Slinger, Manning, Manning 2, Brady and Brees.

While, as a coach (not so much as a person) I respect Tom Cable and think he's done a great job getting the Raiders back on the map, I'd say right NOW I'd also consider Steve Spagnuolo for the coach of the year award. Scott Linehan screwed the Rams three ways from Sunday and left the team in complete shambles. And now they've gone from the absolute worst of the league to playoff contenders. Yes, Steve's first season with St. Louis was horrendous... but there was next to zero talent on the team, the players were all learning a new system, and they were actually competitive in several games down the stretch.

And, for the most part, St. Louis has been competitive each and every week this year.

But a lot of that can also be said about the Raiders. I think they still have several issues that need adressing (I think Gradkowski is their best QB, but Campbell has actually been solid as of late. Course, when you can run the ball as well as they are now, it's hard to screw up at QB!), but they're taking full control of their division.

Speaking of Gradkowski, I have to say I have the upmost respect for him on the field, and maybe that's why I want to see him start. The guy just radiates toughness. I remember when he got hurt a few weeks back and he walked off the field, and THEN collapsed in pain after getting to the sideline. I was impressed, did what he could to not let the other team see they hurt him. Also, he looks like a Bond villian.

That said, he's only been very average when he's played so far this year, and that's what matters in the NFL (and not my hetero-man crush on him). I think he WILL get at least one start when he's back at full health, but he'll be on a very short leash. Still, upmost respect for the guy. Toughness is a vastly underrated trait in QBs.

And with that, I'm off to book APWF... because Bill Popinowski is another super badass Polish guy.

Jacoby Ford has had exactly ONE good game. He was a middling college WR and this game against KC makes up like 80% of his production on the year.

Tim Brown is one of the greatest college football players of all time, a Heisman winner, and will eventually get in the HOF.

Agreed, it was ONE good game out of a WR.

That said, college success doesn't always reflect how a player will perform in the NFL. And not just great college players being NFL busts, but some guys who didn't do much in college end up being very good NFL players. Look at Peyton Hillis right now: one of the hands down best rushers in the NFL. College? Was a back-up HB and spent most of his time blocking as a FB for Felix Jones and Darren McFadden. Personally, I think he's a far superior RB at this level than Felix Jones. McFadden... probably a step better overall, but they're different style guys, too. Still, he didn't get to run at all in college, and look at him now.

Point is, some guys didn't do much in college but there could've been a reason other than their lack of talent that lead to it. Maybe they were buried behind someone else on the depth chart. Maybe they were misused in college. Maybe they just hadn't fully matured yet as athletes. Maybe they played for Northern Iowa so no one knew they existed.

Point is, some guys didn't do much in college but there could've been a reason other than their lack of talent that lead to it. Maybe they were buried behind someone else on the depth chart. Maybe they were misused in college. Maybe they just hadn't fully matured yet as athletes. Maybe they played for Northern Iowa so no one knew they existed.

Totally agree, totally true.

But I only bring it up because of the mention of a comparison. If you're going to throw a guy's name in context with someone like Tom Brown around after just one game, the *maybe* it makes sense if they had a hugely successful and comparable college career.

But in this case he didn't. At all. Which makes the comparison doubly bad.

That's all I was saying.

Totally agree, totally true.

But I only bring it up because of the mention of a comparison. If you're going to throw a guy's name in context with someone like Tom Brown around after just one game, the *maybe* it makes sense if they had a hugely successful and comparable college career.

But in this case he didn't. At all. Which makes the comparison doubly bad.

That's all I was saying.

Oh, yeah, I agree. It's not a comparison that should be made, at least not yet. If Ford keeps it up (remember, Zach Miller was out and Gradkowski has shown a preference for Louis Murphy in the past), then yeah, time to start the comparisons. But right now, he's a guy who had A great game. If he were to never produce numbers even close to that again, he wouldn't be the first WR to do so.

The 4th quarter of that Lions-Jets game was oh so frustrating.

Let's also point out that if Jason Hanson doesn't get hurt the Jets have to go for two to tie the game late.

Have to agree with you again but just think about this the refs let 10 seconds run before saying Sanchez crossed the plain...

ESPN made the somewhat comparison but that pass Campbell should of been picked Ford ripped the ball out of Flowers hand to make that catch was impressive!

Agreed, it was ONE good game out of a WR.

That said, college success doesn't always reflect how a player will perform in the NFL. And not just great college players being NFL busts, but some guys who didn't do much in college end up being very good NFL players. Look at Peyton Hillis right now: one of the hands down best rushers in the NFL. College? Was a back-up HB and spent most of his time blocking as a FB for Felix Jones and Darren McFadden. Personally, I think he's a far superior RB at this level than Felix Jones. McFadden... probably a step better overall, but they're different style guys, too. Still, he didn't get to run at all in college, and look at him now.

Com isn't it bad that 2 out of those 3 are near the top of the NFL in (McFadden and Hillis who was a great pass catcher for Arkansas at their Wild Hog days when and Garrett is becoming the Interim coach at Dallas WOW!!

<p>Why is Tom Cable the name people are throwing out for Coach of the year?</p><p> </p><p>

I get what the Raiders are doing is great this year, but they are still playing in a weak division. They have had 7 straight years of top 10 picks I believe and they are finally healthy.</p><p> </p><p>

The top coaches I would think of for Coach of the year are Haley, Morris, Carroll, Guy from Rams, Reid.</p><p> </p><p>

Haley: Took the Chiefs in 2 years from a 2-4 win team to a team that will probably win that divison. Cassel isn't the QB we all thought he was, but with a great running game he could be a Trent Dilfer type. Hand the ball off, make throws every now and then.</p><p> </p><p>

Morris: What's there to say. He has been smacked around in 2 of the 3 losses. But in the other 6 games they have played mistake free ball and it has helped them. They were a 3 win team last year and pretty much picked to win about 3 to 4 games this year. They aren't dominating, but they get the job done and he has given them motivation.</p><p> </p><p>

Carroll: This team has taken it's two biggest WR last year and got rid of them. He has tinkered with the Defense and they had the best draft last year IMHO. He made Mike Williams relevant again and made a team with talent relevant again.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Steve Spagnuolo: talking about a team the last 2 years went 3-29 I believe. This year they are 4-4 tied for the divison lead and are doing all of this with a Rookie QB. The run game is still dangerous, the WR's have been dismantled with injuries. They Defense has been taking QB's down and Chris Long is finally living up to his high draft choice. James L. is showing he should have been a 1st rounder.</p><p> </p><p>

Ried: Come on. This guy was pretty much like John Fox. He is in the last year of his contract. Traded his top QB (at the time) to a divison foe and has two solid QB's on his team. The WR's are there, the Defense has struggled, but it's coming around.</p>